Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

get a job filling daric's holes (DOUBLE ENTENDRE) [JOB THREAD] {BRACKETS}

• Blake TBlake T Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    There is a lot going on in that picture.

• HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Kelly comics on The Onion are the best. The crying Statue of Liberty always seals the deal.

• Blake TBlake T Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I thought for a second the key was actually a gun.

You know, pointing out that poor people are criminals.

• bowenbowen Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Blake T wrote: »
    Way to be an inspiration to us all Bowen.

Now show the man by surfing the internet until work starts then go take a shit on the companies dime.

I did just this!

• VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    People either complain because they think it's free homes for the "lazy" or because they're not free homes & you have to prove you can afford the home to get one.

edited April 2011
    Just told my boss here I'm leaving and she was really bummed but understood completely.

edited April 2011
    Well there is a minimum and maximum limit. For instance, a family making more than $60,000 probably wouldn't qualify, and neither will someone on disability ( I don't think ). You also have to be willing to volunteer your time to help build your house and other people's houses in the future.

People on welfare get section 8 housing, which is pretty fucking destitute, let me tell you. Having witnessed it first hand.

• AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    bowen wrote: »
    People on welfare get section 8 housing, which is pretty fucking destitute, let me tell you. Having witnessed it first hand.

How would you rate it on a scale of 1 to 100% white?

1LRdqui.png
    edited April 2011

How would you rate it on a scale of 1 to 100% white?

Like % of non-white people living there? My area is predominantly white to begin with so I'm not sure how much that would help you?

edited April 2011
    In Boston we had really bad section 8 and really nice section 8. I lived a block away from one of the nice ones for 2 years without realizing it wasn't just a regular complex. I imagine the families there were very relieved to be there and not in one of the ones in Dorchester or Mattapan.

edited April 2011
    It's pretty terrible how people on disability and welfare live. Then they try and take away their welfare if someone from the family gives them a ride to a doctor's office, or gives them money to buy some milk and fucking cereal.

• TofystedethTofystedeth veni, veneri, vamoosi Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    the best thing about me moving out of the Production dept is how silently and impotently mad my boss is about it, and there's no one he can really yell at about it.

"Dan you were an hour late from lunch"

"Oh, yeah, I was the The CEO, CFO, and the VPs of Sales and Marketing at lunch at the nearby country club, lost track of time, sorry

8-)"

SH did you see my post last thread re:not having retarded Excel catalogs?

steam_sig.png
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Certified BrimperRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    When the housing market here in town died they opened up a number of complexes/housing communities to Section 8. So many of them were so poorly maintained :(

edit: I did! I took a look at that add-on, and if/when I can ever dedicate the time to it, the Pro version sounds perfect since Dynamics GP runs on a SQL database anyway so I could plug it directly in to pull out pricing and part names.

It would, however, require I work with our 'art department' (the CEO's daughter who 'does the photoshop good' but has absolutely no goddamn ability to organize any of the stuff she edits/creates. Basically she just cleans up the images and we've been sending our stuff to an outside design shop who does all the layout and formatting. I would have love to have seen their faces the first time someone here emailed them our excel file catalog and said 'print this')

sites: personal | tumblr | abracadaniel dot com | coolguy.me
    services I recommend: tonx coffee *highly recommended* | everlane
    Secret Satan Wishlists: Regular List Coffee Stuff
    FUNTENDO DS BROCODE: 2337-4364-1683
  • TofystedethTofystedeth veni, veneri, vamoosi Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    When the housing market here in town died they opened up a number of complexes/housing communities to Section 8. So many of them were so poorly maintained :(

edit: I did! I took a look at that add-on, and if/when I can ever dedicate the time to it, the Pro version sounds perfect since Dynamics GP runs on a SQL database anyway so I could plug it directly in to pull out pricing and part names.

It would, however, require I work with our 'art department' (the CEO's daughter who 'does the photoshop good' but has absolutely no goddamn ability to organize any of the stuff she edits/creates. Basically she just cleans up the images and we've been sending our stuff to an outside design shop who does all the layout and formatting. I would have love to have seen their faces the first time someone here emailed them our excel file catalog and said 'print this')

Yessss, I managed to turn my research on that into something useful for someone at least.

steam_sig.png
  • DepressperadoDepressperado Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Now show the man by surfing the internet until work starts then go take a shit on the companies dime.

this is every day of my week.

• LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Swill wrote: »
    yeah

which was exactly what i did

except i couldn't get a job

You mean in the UK? Because we are used to people sneaking in here, especially in London, and trying to get a secret job without having the correct visa. It is why we have checks. And your lack of European accent would have been a warning light. In fact, if you were Polish you might have got away with it easier because of members of the EU jumping about all over the place to work is pretty normal. But you are not European.

whowhosigraw_zps833557f6.jpg
    edited April 2011

It's really great because it saves a ton on toilet paper. Toilet paper expense was my nondisclosed compensation during my interview. And if I can deal with the pain of holding it all weekend, as a guy, I can drop my toilet paper usage down to near 0.

• GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So I got a job interview later today at this neat little upscale kitchen restaurant/wine cellar place. It's not exactly what I wanted, but I won't have to do server duty and at least i'll get paid a steady hour rate. If I can get at least $9/hr out of it i'll take it for now. As long as I have something to help pay the bills, I can be a little patient while I look for something else.

I met with Cogliostro and he gave me a really good lead on what I should be looking for. He works at a hospital around the area and told me about the Dispatch Center work. All you do is take emergency phone calls and read from a computer monitor on what to do depending on the call nature.

The hours can be long (6 AM to 6 PM, or if you're unlucky, 6 PM to 6 AM), but the pay is around $14-$15/hr, and there's a fair amount of overtime rates so i'd be more than willing to do that. This is the kind of thing i'd need in order to save enough cash for school this January, so this is something i'd see more as a long-term prospect to shoot for.

I also applied to a few hospitals for their more general work jobs offered.

0WBv0.png
  • skettiosskettios Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Grats on HfH, VoC!! :D

At work we're trying to get people to use our new ticketing system. (previously it was just a google form, before that.. nothing).
    It's proving to be a little tricky, which was expected.

I got called rude!
    Rejected a ticket cause the subject was just one word. Told him as much in the response and over IM (he was wondering why it was rejected). He made a new ticket and cc'ed my boss and his boss on it.
    I responded by merging the new ticket with the old one. 8-)

edited April 2011
    Ugh I hate people that are not willing to learn a new system. Even when that new system is to their benefit.

Like we have lab people here complaining about having to double check information, so they wanted a way to give them a reminder that something special needed to be done for certain lab/insurance combinations. The catch? They had to go in and set it up the first time through for each lab/insurance combination.

They'd rather get fined and chewed out than take 40 minutes out of their day (PAID) to do this.

• StaleStale Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Got recruited for a gig in SF.

Not sure how I'd fare in the bay area.

easysig2.jpg
    edited April 2011
    Ya, we're hoping that people get used to seeing it.

Our boss already warned everyone to be prepared to hear 'Have you made a ticket yet?'
    Not sure if everyone took him seriously though. They'll learn eventually though!
    ...I hope

edited April 2011
    skettios wrote: »

Our boss already warned everyone to be prepared to hear 'Have you made a ticket yet?'
    Not sure if everyone took him seriously though. They'll learn eventually though!
    ...I hope

Yeah they won't.

edited April 2011
    skettios wrote: »

...I hope

working in software dev has trained me that if it's not in QC/JIRA/Rally/SF/TTP it does not exist and I am not accountable for it.

The downside is that works both ways.

easysig2.jpg
    edited April 2011
    Stale wrote: »

Do you like it in the butt?

• That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    SF is kinda hilly, not good for a cripple like you Dan.

edited April 2011

Do you like it in the butt?

DO I

easysig2.jpg
  • SixSix Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Going to board my flight back to NY shortly. My UK trip was awesome and completely exhausting. Doing NY-London then London-Edinburgh then a day of meetings in Edinburgh before flying back to London before a huge meeting the next day right before flying back to NY is really tiring. Who knew?

On the plus side, work-wise it was amazing, and my suitcase is filled to the brim with Scotch and cashmere.

XBL, PSN, & Steam: SixkillerNYC Twitter Flickr
  • AneurhythmiaAneurhythmia Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Only take it if it's Jay's old job.

1LRdqui.png
  • johnny_rockerjohnny_rocker Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Only take it if it's Jay's old job.

ouch

edited April 2011
    instantrimshot.com

easysig2.jpg
  • DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    We're going to be looking for a Junior Graphic Designer for our Atlanta office pretty soon. The job isn't posted yet, but I can send along any portfolios or resumes if anyone is interested. I can't pull any strings though, so you're all at the mercy of my boss, and better have some skill.

Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
    edited April 2011
    Oh right.
    I guess my company is looking for:
    Editorial Intern (Part-time)
    Director of Project Management
    Marketing Director (Part-time)

pm me for details

• CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

It's really great because it saves a ton on toilet paper. Toilet paper expense was my nondisclosed compensation during my interview. And if I can deal with the pain of holding it all weekend, as a guy, I can drop my toilet paper usage down to near 0.

Pooping on-the-clock is my favorite thing about being a grown-up

polar-bearsig.jpg
    edited April 2011
    One day I'll be a manager of software devs and no longer have to program. That'll be a good day.

Plus I like designing software way more than coding it.

• godmodegodmode Nooo-ooo-ooo... That ain't dancin', SallyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Kind of a long shot, but does anyone know of any part-time computering (repair, tech support, administration) jobs in the Hampton Roads, VA area? I'm looking for supplemental income, and something that won't conflict with my full-time job. I would also be open to barista-ing, bartending, or possibly donating plasma.

edited April 2011
    DHS Odium wrote: »
    We're going to be looking for a Junior Graphic Designer for our Atlanta office pretty soon. The job isn't posted yet, but I can send along any portfolios or resumes if anyone is interested. I can't pull any strings though, so you're all at the mercy of my boss, and better have some skill.

Has Tank sent you his portfolio?

• FearghaillFearghaill Midgard I hear some secret agents only get cars.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    i get up in the morning and i think 'oh boy, after work i can go home and read a lot of gamers expound upon privilege to each other without taking a larger view'

and then i jump off the roof

every day

shattered tibia

Orik I would like your writing ability.

also your mutant healing factor.

• FearghaillFearghaill Midgard I hear some secret agents only get cars.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I am involved in what is going to be a new world record.

Can't say what it is though.

Other than we are going to take that record back off the Canadians

largest pub crawl?

• DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    DHS Odium wrote: »

Has Tank sent you his portfolio?

He has not yet. I sent him a message to send those along on Facebook but haven't heard back. I figured he was busy at the time, or getting his portfolio/resume updated or something.

Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
This discussion has been closed.