As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[WWE All-Stars] King of the Ring, anyone?

• Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hmm, I guess I can see the point there, but why even offer the option? I mean, there's no way I can re-create characters or other wrestlers with an accurate moveset without individual move customization.

Unless they are promoting this as a deep, competitive fighting game, which they don't seem to be, I don't see why the possibility of broken combos would be an issue, It's not like this isn't supposed to be easy, pick up and play-arcade style in it's gameplay.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It's easy to pick up and do crazy over the top shennanigans and win, but if someone actually takes the time to study and practice a character, then they'll have the advantage of knowing how to progress through combos, which combos can't be reversed, and what moves can go directly to a finisher.

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I thought the demo for this was awesome, I'm totally buying it once it hits the £20 mark.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    It's easy to pick up and do crazy over the top shennanigans and win, but if someone actually takes the time to study and practice a character, then they'll have the advantage of knowing how to progress through combos, which combos can't be reversed, and what moves can go directly to a finisher.

To be honest, I think that is what they want you to do (play the game and learn the crazy combos that you can't figure out with just one sit down with the game). The Grappler character is supposed to be for the hardcore crowd (or something like that) in that you can chain together pretty big combos, but it will take time to learn.

Also, it doesn't take much to do a finisher with an unblockable. Just weak grapple and throw them and use your stored finisher. As simple as that.

P.S. Fuck this whole "server is busy" business.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This was broken out last night while waiting for Wrestlemania to start.

I must say that it was an absolute blast. There were six of us, some more sober than others, and I got a bigger pop when I ko'd two people at once with a top turn buckle Hogan leg drop than anything the 'real' wrestlers brought to the table.

For a non-party environment the game has no legs; not enough modes, extreme rules was really weak, only two people in a cage. But for a few hours with the right people? Great stuff.

chamberlain on
    edited April 2011
    If you have this, whether 360 or PS3, PM me your name so I can put it in the OP2.

So, how do you guys suggest we get a federation started? King of the Ring to determine the first PAWF Champion? Do we specifically use created wrestlers (I say yes)? Let me know your thoughts.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This game is as close to No Mercy as a shark bite is to a tuna sandwich.
    I got kind of a Wrestlemania Arcade vibe from it--although not as over the top and certainly not as bad mechanically.

Dyvim Tvar on
    Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • puffycowpuffycow Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    redfield85 wrote: »
    If you have this, whether 360 or PS3, PM me your name so I can put it in the OP2.

So, how do you guys suggest we get a federation started? King of the Ring to determine the first PAWF Champion? Do we specifically use created wrestlers (I say yes)? Let me know your thoughts.

However you want to do it. In the end I will have the belt.

puffycow on
    FrankForum-1.jpg
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    I got kind of a Wrestlemania Arcade vibe from it--although not as over the top and certainly not as bad mechanically.

I friggin loved No Mercy and WCW/NWO Revenge back in the day. This seems like those games to me, so I am definitely picking this up.

Is there a spectator mode?

If we do get a league going, I can record matches. Can put on our own PA PPV's lol.

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
    edited April 2011
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »

I friggin loved No Mercy and WCW/NWO Revenge back in the day. This seems like those games to me, so I am definitely picking this up.

Is there a spectator mode?

If we do get a league going, I can record matches. Can put on our own PA PPV's lol.

Sadly there is no spectator mode. I mean, you COULD enter a match and just hang outside the ring, but it wouldn't be the same I think.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    edited April 2011
    So who is writing our storylines? :winky:

puffycow on
    FrankForum-1.jpg
    edited April 2011
    No spectate sucks. Too bad I can't be a guest referee and just record it that way.

Sigh.

Bizazedo on
    edited April 2011
    No spectate sucks. Too bad I can't be a guest referee and just record it that way.

Sigh.

That would've been great. Ha. Maybe WWE All-Stars 2012. :P

And, Frank, I am writing the storylines. I win every title and you become my butler.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    edited April 2011
    I think I'll make a Luchadore high flier named El Implausible. He's going to be the the fattest guy I can make, flying around the ring like a whirling dervish of pork rinds

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

edited April 2011

Sigh.

That would've been great. Ha. Maybe WWE All-Stars 2012. :P

And, Frank, I am writing the storylines. I win every title and you become my butler.

I don't know if I want to be part of Team American Juggernaut anymore :(

puffycow on
    FrankForum-1.jpg
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Sigh.

You should be used to fighting games without a spectate mode.

/cheap shot

chamberlain on
    edited April 2011

Sigh.

You should be used to fighting games without a spectate mode.

/cheap shot

http://instantrimshot.com/

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Okay, so on the Create-a-Wrestler-- er, Create-an-Entertainer mode, you have to choose an existing moveset. No big, I'm used to that. I prefer a Shawn Michaels moveset as it is, and finishers aren't anything, since mine can't be duplicated in-game.

However... I have to ask: is this like WWF Warzone, where choosing a wrestler's moveset causes your character to act like the owner of that moveset? Because while I'm good with the moves, my character doesn't act a thing like HBK otherwise, particularly in the dances and poses and such.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
    edited April 2011
    you can choose their entrance, but their taunt will probably be the same

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

edited April 2011
    Yea, I don't understand your question really. They act exactly how the in-game characters act.

The entrances are whatever you pick, the moveset is a Superstar's moveset, and the finisher is a Superstar's finisher. The only thing that would make you not act like a Superstar is if you picked one of the generic entrances. Other than that, your character does act like whoever's moveset you picked.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    edited April 2011
    I think he means the way the character stands, runs, stuff like that

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

edited April 2011
    I don't think I paid attention too it but I would assume they would take on all of the characteristics of the moveset you select. Does everyone stand differently? I didn't really take the time to notice.

puffycow on
    FrankForum-1.jpg
    edited April 2011
    Picked up this game yesterday and suck at it currently. I have it on 360.

Seems fun except for what feels like people on the top rope being f'ng homing missiles.

Bizazedo on
    edited April 2011
    When they jump I just roll out of the ring.

puffycow on
    FrankForum-1.jpg
    edited April 2011
    Yea, either roll out of the ring, run as far away as you can (and I would suggest jumping on the turnbuckle yourself), and lastly try to reverse. I also recommend storing a finisher and doing it when they are near to hitting you from the sky. It usually works, but you have to learn the timing.

Anyone wanting to join the PAWF, feel free to post concept art for a PAWF World Championship belt (or even tag team or intercontinental or some other belt using PA terms). And, if you feel like, get me an image of your created wrestler, their name, their finisher name, and maybe even a back story if you get bored.

Maybe we could have everyone create a heel and face and could draw from a hat to see who plays as what in "Season 1."

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    edited April 2011
    Oh man that would be so much fun. I want in on this hot mess.

puffycow on
    FrankForum-1.jpg
    edited April 2011
    I'd do it.

Also..I dunno, maybe it's because I haven't played a wrestling game really since WCW/NWO Revenge and No Mercy, but this game seems...

Rushed.

I dunno, seems like a lot of stuff is missing. Austin not kicking in the gut before the finisher is a huge wtf. No (I guess?) team up moves if two people grab one dude like before.

I don't like how it seems I can't run whenever I want.

No two player co-op tag team story mode?

Ehh..

It'll be more fun w/you guys I guess.

Bizazedo on
  • PizzleStixxPizzleStixx Parp? Burnett? Really? UghRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You can only run whenever you get energy in your stamina meter, that's why you can't run at the start of the match (or when the meter is empty).

PizzleStixx on
    PizForum-Whalers-2.jpg
  • lpburk2lpburk2 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    My local GameStop says they have a used 360 copy available. I intend to pick it up after work today and join this fine organization of professionals. My custom wrestler? Monkey Fracas.

On a more serious note, I can't believe the greatest wrestling games ever made are on a system from two generations past (No Mercy, Wrestlemania 2000, WCW vs. NWO). Where have you gone, AKI Man?

lpburk2 on
  • truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    lpburk2 wrote: »
    On a more serious note, I can't believe the greatest wrestling games ever made are on a system from two generations past (No Mercy, Wrestlemania 2000, WCW vs. NWO). Where have you gone, AKI Man?

I can believe it. wrestling was good back then to watch so it makes sense the games were good... for the past few years it seems like wrestling has been in a slump in terms of entertainment value, so makes sense the games reflect that suckitude also.

but I am tempted to pick this up used as there is a buy two get one free used sale starting

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
    edited April 2011

I can believe it. wrestling was good back then to watch so it makes sense the games were good... for the past few years it seems like wrestling has been in a slump in terms of entertainment value, so makes sense the games reflect that suckitude also.

but I am tempted to pick this up used as there is a buy two get one free used sale starting

Do it! Your finisher can be "The Greatest Move!"

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • MugenmidgetMugenmidget Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I dunno, seems like a lot of stuff is missing. Austin not kicking in the gut before the finisher is a huge wtf. No (I guess?) team up moves if two people grab one dude like before.
    Is that not patched on 360 yet? PS3 got a patch about a day after release that added a kick before the Stunner (and presumably some other tweaks, but that's the only one I know). Still doesn't mean it was any less rushed if they're having to patch stuff like that in, but it's good to know it's there at least.

Mugenmidget on
    e3ORbfq.png
  • truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

The Greatest Move ever will certainly return for NHL12 at the very least.

for wrestling I like to go to my old high school wrestling repertoire and threaten people with the "Crotch Rot". The secret there is there is no move, but they are so disgusted by the mental image of what it might be that I have the chance for a surprise attack.

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • PizzleStixxPizzleStixx Parp? Burnett? Really? UghRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

The Greatest Move ever will certainly return for NHL12 at the very least.

for wrestling I like to go to my old high school wrestling repertoire and threaten people with the "Crotch Rot". The secret there is there is no move, but they are so disgusted by the mental image of what it might be that I have the chance for a surprise attack.

I expect nothing less

PizzleStixx on
    PizForum-Whalers-2.jpg
  • Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

More like last generation really. King of Colosseum and it's sequel blow the doors off the AKI games.
    Technically so do pretty much all of the Human/Spike games but they aren't really everyone's cup of tea.

Still not sure about this game. I mean it takes most of the things I don't like about the modern "wrestling" games, and then magnifies them. However there's something about it which stops me from despising it as completely as I do the SvR series.

Dyvim Tvar on
    Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Nick T wrote: »
    No Mercy and similar games were incredible long ago. I got to play this and it's such a great throw back.

I'll add a Big Poppa Pump math lesson to the video mix.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EarU--5cYOE

I've been looking for the version of this that actually has the math written out in text.

Also, my favourite part will always be "the numbers don't lie, and they spell out 'disaster'".

facetious on
    "I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    you can choose their entrance, but their taunt will probably be the same
    Yea, I don't understand your question really. They act exactly how the in-game characters act.

The entrances are whatever you pick, the moveset is a Superstar's moveset, and the finisher is a Superstar's finisher. The only thing that would make you not act like a Superstar is if you picked one of the generic entrances. Other than that, your character does act like whoever's moveset you picked.
    I think he means the way the character stands, runs, stuff like that

Yeah, I think DaMoonRulz gets what I mean.

Going back to the Warzone thoughts, imagine creating a freak character, like a Mankind or Undertaker. Now imagine if you want him to be a high-flier, so you pick Shawn Michaels.

It's just weird to have a "dark" character come out and dance or do a crotch chop, you know?

I think they changed it in Attitude, so that the way they walked and moved and taunted and so forth could be set to those of different characters than those the move set was from.

But it sounds like All-Stars only affords you a different entrance from the one you picked, so that kind of stinks.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I was hoping to hear Steiner start using, like, logarithms and shit. "The Taniyama-Shimura Conjecture proves that Fermat's Last Theorem is true, and that Theorem says that there is no solution to the equation of you beating me.!"

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
    edited April 2011
    To whoever said that acrobats were impossible to stop can shove itttttt. We were playing some 4 way elimination and 2v2 and jumping off the opponents chest to the turnbuckle yielded little in the way of a successful attack.

Doing the springboard off of the ropes has its moments and jumping into the ring and off the ropes too, but they are definitely not a guaranteed hit (although jumping out of the ring works well...if they aren't right next to the apron).

And definitely never say never if you are doing 2v2 elimination and you are the only left from your team against two players. Just ask Puffycow and his attempted dive to the inside of the ring at me while I had Sweet Chin Music stored. :winky: I might have lost that match, but fuck if we didn't all mark out. Haha.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    edited April 2011
    You can reverse the flip off the chest to the turnbuckle, and catch them in the air when they jump off turnbuckle to reverse the move, or certain attacks can hit them in the air.

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg