As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Free MMO Überlist

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Aldo wrote: »
    If nobody's done it by tonight I'll try and get something up. Start thinking up good guild names!
    Considering you're all playing as robot knights it shouldn't be too hard to think of something appropriate related to PA. ;)

Yes, but it might be hard to find one that the gamemasters would find appropriate for the younger players.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeaaaah I was going to start a Spiral Knights thread but then I got distracted by the game over the past few days.

On the plus side I'm only 45,000cr and 3 heavy gears away from being completely decked out in 4 star gear (was able to nab my 2 4 star weapons last night which was STUPIDLY lucky. Also managed to craft a unique variant on one! + Attack speed on a Vile Striker!)

The game kicks ass. Also getting into Tier 2 really is not as hard as people are making it, although it is MUCH tougher if you are trying to do it solo. You just need a 2 star piece in your weapon, your armor, your helm, and your shield.

I think most people are trying for specific sets for the requirements which would make it much harder to accomplish, the trick is to just look at the recipes you find, craft the stuff you actually have the mats for, and then once you are in a haphazard mismatched set of 2 star gear you go into Tier 2 where you start finding the difficult components much more often. Then you can start building your 3 or 4 start set that you really want.

It also helps to play with friends so you can pool your resources (Hey I have 30 blue shards I don't need, do you have any light shards?) and it helps even MORE if your friends are all trying to build the exact same set as you.

For example, I'm going with the pretty vanilla Cobalt set (easy recipes to get and decent stats) where as one of my friends is going for the gunslinger set, another one is building up a good bombing set, and the fourth is looking to get the mage set. All of our sets are fairly different so our material costs to clash too often. Because of that we have a pretty open policy of just trading over whatever mats people need to finish up their gear. As a result we're all in at least 3 star stuff and when a few of our other friends joined in the other day we gave each of them a fulls et of 2 star gear with just the random mats we has floating around.

tl;dr awesome fun game, play with more than just yourself.

Delphinidaes on
    NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Yeaaaah I was going to start a Spiral Knights thread but then I got distracted by the game over the past few days.

On the plus side I'm only 45,000cr and 3 heavy gears away from being completely decked out in 4 star gear (was able to nab my 2 4 star weapons last night which was STUPIDLY lucky. Also managed to craft a unique variant on one! + Attack speed on a Vile Striker!)

The game kicks ass. Also getting into Tier 2 really is not as hard as people are making it, although it is MUCH tougher if you are trying to do it solo. You just need a 2 star piece in your weapon, your armor, your helm, and your shield.

I think most people are trying for specific sets for the requirements which would make it much harder to accomplish, the trick is to just look at the recipes you find, craft the stuff you actually have the mats for, and then once you are in a haphazard mismatched set of 2 star gear you go into Tier 2 where you start finding the difficult components much more often. Then you can start building your 3 or 4 start set that you really want.

It also helps to play with friends so you can pool your resources (Hey I have 30 blue shards I don't need, do you have any light shards?) and it helps even MORE if your friends are all trying to build the exact same set as you.

For example, I'm going with the pretty vanilla Cobalt set (easy recipes to get and decent stats) where as one of my friends is going for the gunslinger set, another one is building up a good bombing set, and the fourth is looking to get the mage set. All of our sets are fairly different so our material costs to clash too often. Because of that we have a pretty open policy of just trading over whatever mats people need to finish up their gear. As a result we're all in at least 3 star stuff and when a few of our other friends joined in the other day we gave each of them a fulls et of 2 star gear with just the random mats we has floating around.

tl;dr awesome fun game, play with more than just yourself.
    Yeah, the energy limit is the hardest thing to overcome with crafting, though with the current rate for energy, it takes what, 50 energy to do one dungeon run down to the tier barrier and you'll usually make almost enough money to buy 100 crystal energy. This works on the presumption that people will continue buying CE with real cash to sell for crowns. I imagine that market might dry up at some point. I know I would never do it, but hey, I'm not some kid with his parents credit cards or whatever.

I'm thinking I might be able to get Fruit Fornicators as a guild name, but I don't know if it will fit in the name limit (if there is one, haven't looked) and I'm probably going to ask a GM if it'll cause problems. So some backup names might be good. I'll be home in about an hour and will work on the OP then.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Something simple and less potentially problematic would just be Penny Arcadia or ClawShrimp or something typically PA. Creative? No. But in as colorful and approachable as the game is, I don't think having Fruit Fuckers or any variation of it would be a great idea.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    OOO NickOOO Nick Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Glad to see you guys enjoy our little world!

To answer a previous question, a 360 gamepad is pre-configured to work (just make sure it's on before starting the game). I play the game with a 360 gamepad on my couch, it's great fun.

Hope to see a nice guild of you fine chaps soon!

OOO Nick on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    OOO Nick wrote: »
    Glad to see you guys enjoy our little world!

To answer a previous question, a 360 gamepad is pre-configured to work (just make sure it's on before starting the game). I play the game with a 360 gamepad on my couch, it's great fun.

Hope to see a nice guild of you fine chaps soon!

Is it just a 360 pad?

Do I need to use xpadder to get it to work with another type?

Not a big deal really, and I haven't fiddled with it; but playing yesterday made me think: Ya, needs a gamepad.

Also, probably jumping the gun but any plans to bring this to XBLA or PSN?

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    OOO NickOOO Nick Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Any gamepad will work. We've pre-configured for the 360 gamepad, so at the most you'll just have to reconfigure your buttons in the options menu to something more your liking.

As far as XBLA and PSN, nothing has been announced at this time.

OOO Nick on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Something simple and less potentially problematic would just be Penny Arcadia or ClawShrimp or something typically PA. Creative? No. But in as colorful and approachable as the game is, I don't think having Fruit Fuckers or any variation of it would be a great idea.

Clawshrimp! Thank you. I saw a reference to that somewhere on the forum earlier today and thought it was perfect, but couldn't remember it when I made my post. Consider it made.

Edit: Shit, I didn't realize making a guild was so expensive. Well, I bit the bullet and bout $5 worth of CE. It'll be my contribution to cause, and also trying wangle a way to gather that much CE without dropping cash while one of the makers is right here* seemed a little crass.

*That's really cool by the way. Thanks for showing up and answering questions.

I have a question of my own. Is there any facility in game for taking screenshots? I tried and all it did was take a picture of whatever was opened behind the game client. I dug around in the install folder (fun to find btw. There were two between the LocalLow and Roaming bits of the virtualized fs) and couldn't find a folder where it might drop screenshots the way WoW does. Doesn't mean they're not there. Am I missing them? I wanted to show off one of the Devlish Drudgery levels, which make me giggle every time I go through one.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MithMith Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Frem wrote: »
    Mith wrote: »
    Edit: It's interesting that even for the 2-star equipment that's available in the NPC shops, right now it's far more cost-effective to buy the mats and energy (with crowns) to craft them. I wonder if we're just in the phase before inflation sets in or what.

I came to a similar conclusion, although, is there a material trader? I ran around in the market district but didn't see one.

Mith wrote: »
    Spiral Knights in browser based, yes? Can you also download a client or not?

Yes and yes; they've put the out-of-browser client a bit out of the way, but it's there.

The out-of-browser client got installed when I went to the play page, although it did initially start installing the game from there. Maybe that's just because I'm using Chrome and not Internet Explorer or something? But I didn't even have the option to play in-browser.

Sorry, I answered in a stupid way. It launches from the browser but doesn't play in the browser. You can also download a manual installer if you have any problem with that option.

And there's no NPC mats trader I've seen, I was going off player-shouted prices in town.

Mith on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Spiral Knights thread is here. And for the love of God someone please help me choose a better title. I'm terrible at it.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Spiral Knights thread is here. And for the love of God someone please help me choose a better title. I'm terrible at it.

"Spiral Knights - Imagine SEGA made a Zelda game"

edit: I think I saw SEGA in a screenshot, but I didn't look close

edit: I wanted to try it, but then it said I need Java. I uninstalled it and its harassing updater after Reddit's ad server got infected with a malicious Java applet. If the choice is between making sure worthy sites get money and playing a game, the worthy sites will always win.

edit: apparently you can just download it separately. Why do they need the Java applet? :?

MKR on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It seems the game is smart that when I made a mule account It was sharing mist energy with my "main" account. Does anyone know how they monitor that? Is it just the same computer, IP, email registration?

Scosglen on
  • Options
    NishuNishu Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    OOO Nick wrote: »
    As far as XBLA and PSN, nothing has been announced at this time.

Having this on PSN would be beyond amazing, just sayin'

Nishu on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    With that out of the way, let's turn to this stuff that turned up in my inbox: http://argo.en.alaplaya.net/ It's like Neosteam only more gritty or something. It's in Open Beta and doesn't sound very exciting from the marketing stuff, but who knows? Loong was good even though it had zero marketing.

Aldo on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    promo wrote:
    The steampunk and fantasy online RPG ARGO Online is not comparable with latest typical MMORPG grinder games. ARGO is a complex and huge online RPG with an open world full thousands of quests and landscapes that are waiting for brave adventurers to explore it. In the vigorous world of this online RPG nothing is as you may expect it.
    So, it is in fact very comparable.

Glal on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Glal wrote: »
    promo wrote:
    The steampunk and fantasy online RPG ARGO Online is not comparable with latest typical MMORPG grinder games. ARGO is a complex and huge online RPG with an open world full thousands of quests and landscapes that are waiting for brave adventurers to explore it. In the vigorous world of this online RPG nothing is as you may expect it.
    So, it is in fact very comparable.

Like I said, the marketing stuff wasn't giving me a boner. I'll try it out at some point in time, I loves me some steampunk (*hides from Pony*)

Aldo on
  • Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Global Agenda is going F2P, using a limited/premium account model.

http://ca.kotaku.com/5789855/global-agenda-is-going-completely-free+to+play
    Kotaku wrote:
    The mid-April Free Agent update for Hi-Rez Studios' online multiplayer shooter Global Agenda will drop the game's purchase requirement, making it free-to-play for anyone that has the urge.

Original planned as a subscription-based MMO, in June of last year Hi-Rez dropped plans to implement monthly fees, only requiring that players initially purchase a retail or digital version of the game. The Free Agent update will remove that requirement, allowing anyone to download and play the game for as long as they desire.

What's the money catch? Free players will not have access to the game's auction house, in-game mail system, will have lower login priority, and won't be able to create agencies, the game's equivalent of guilds.

A one-time purchase of $19.99 will give players Elite Agent status, granting them access to restricted features as well as double the experience points and other rewards for completing missions. Both ranks will also be able to purchase booster packs in the Global Agenda web store that will also double experience points, credits, and tokens earned, along with 2,000 bonus tokens a day and an extra loot drop in missions.

Players that have already purchased the game will receive a free upgrade to Elite Agent status.

citizen059 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I can't remember what Global Agenda is about. Sci-fi TF2? Or was there something more to it?

Aldo on
  • Options
    Who-PsydWho-Psyd Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Similar Gameplay, 4 Classes with Objective based maps, has some MMO-lite features like PvE Instanced Missons and a Global Town Area.
    The patch along with free to play is adding another PvE Raid Instance and some major class rebalances.

Now with Video Explanation

Who-Psyd on
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Argo Onlines screenshots/art look decent at least...i mean they arent cutesy, so thats something. If i wasnt hooked on Rift i'd try it out.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I've been fiddling around with Global Agenda. My greatest complaints so far are the default interface options(press 'U' to talk? seriously?) and the whole having to walk a mile or so back to where you were after you die.

I'm sure a host of other problems will surface as I play. This entire game screams "I went F2P for a very serious reason".

Liquid Ghost on
  • Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I've been fiddling around with Global Agenda. My greatest complaints so far are the default interface options(press 'U' to talk? seriously?) and the whole having to walk a mile or so back to where you were after you die.

I'm sure a host of other problems will surface as I play. This entire game screams "I went F2P for a very serious reason".

Yeah, it's called Firefall.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Entaru wrote: »

The game was never Pay to Play and has had a Trial for basically forever all "Free Agent" is really doing is removing the level cap for trial players.

Who-Psyd on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Yeah GA has never had a subscription, and has always been fairly cheap to purchase. It's a fun game, but the tacked on MMO parts (Which were added later in the games life.) and being forced to do them to compete really became a drag and is what caused me to quit. I liked GA a lot more when it first came out and it was more of a competitive shooter with RPG progression and some neat dungeon raid things. This whole faux open world nonsense just isnt very fun for this kind of game, and really the only reason it was added is because a bunch of whiney kids went "THIS ISNT AN MMO, WE CANT GO OUTSIDE AND WANDER AROUND THIS GAME SUCKS, MAKE IT MORE LIKE WOW" and so they changed it from its original vision. which made it suck.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    Who-Psyd wrote: »

The game was never Pay to Play and has had a Trial for basically forever all "Free Agent" is really doing is removing the level cap for trial players.

Actually it was, for the conquest portion of it.

Morkath on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Morkath wrote: »

nope, they never had a subscription. They were going to when it first came out, but then decided that it wasnt a good enough value so they never actually instilled a subscription model.

Elimination on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

nope, they never had a subscription. They were going to when it first came out, but then decided that it wasnt a good enough value so they never actually instilled a subscription model.

Actually it did, but they gave everyone access to conquest mode for a month to entice them into purchasing the subscription, but no one did so they killed that to try and retain player base so more people would buy the game.

It had nothing to do with them deciding there wasn't "enough value", it was the fact no one was buying it, and their game would have tanked even faster had they not removed it.

The game *did* have a subscription when it launched, it just didn't make it past the free month portion to start charging people.

Morkath on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Huh, i played since launch, and participated in AVA, and never paid a penny of subsription once. I got an e-mail with one of their many polls to ask if they should have a subscription model or not, i voted no, and everyone else did too i guess, and they continued on with no subscription. Not sure what you are talking about.

Elimination on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Actually it did, but they gave everyone access to conquest mode for a month to entice them into purchasing the subscription, but no one did so they killed that to try and retain player base so more people would buy the game.

It had nothing to do with them deciding there wasn't "enough value", it was the fact no one was buying it, and their game would have tanked even faster had they not removed it.

The game *did* have a subscription when it launched, it just didn't make it past the free month portion to start charging people.

Is a subscription that was never paid still count as a subscription?

Who-Psyd on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    So what this boils down to is... If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    This ended up in my spam folder.

Ten beta keys to Mythoooooos (EU)

CB3F_u56bM9hCLr
    CB3F_Ek4SusLZsc
    CB3F_aDnKnWv37e
    CB3F_pucsnsXSJn
    CB3F_mc5SqFmXDc
    CB3F_6YFVx7vJ3k
    CB3F_c9tRCEDUJH
    CB3F_gXXt8s2fAJ
    CB3F_22RmarCu4b
    CB3F_knyRwW6Mzq

Aldo on
  • Options
    Lord_MordjaLord_Mordja Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Oh, cool! I took the last one.

Lord_Mordja on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

CB3F_u56bM9hCLr
    CB3F_Ek4SusLZsc
    CB3F_aDnKnWv37e
    CB3F_pucsnsXSJn
    CB3F_mc5SqFmXDc
    CB3F_6YFVx7vJ3k
    CB3F_c9tRCEDUJH
    CB3F_gXXt8s2fAJ
    CB3F_22RmarCu4b
    CB3F_knyRwW6Mzq

I got one of these e-mails as well.

Elimination on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

CB3F_u56bM9hCLr
    CB3F_Ek4SusLZsc
    CB3F_aDnKnWv37e
    CB3F_pucsnsXSJn
    CB3F_mc5SqFmXDc
    CB3F_6YFVx7vJ3k
    CB3F_c9tRCEDUJH
    CB3F_gXXt8s2fAJ
    CB3F_22RmarCu4b
    CB3F_knyRwW6Mzq

I got one of these e-mails as well.

Feel free to share the ones you have left in here. I just figured I wouldn't spell out the name of the game literally, because Google is a bitch and I don't want the whole internet to come upon this place when they Google for beta keys. :?

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    So what this boils down to is... If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

So by that token, was APB a free to play game? Since they never charged anyone before going shutting down. :)

Morkath on
  • Options
    Lord_MordjaLord_Mordja Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So Mythos is cool and all, if overshadowed by Torchlight, but I gotta ask: what took it so long?

I mean the races, classes and skills are the same as they were back when Flagship was still sailing and they haven't been improving the graphics or anything. The only real differences are that they got rid of the overworld again, the quest and missions are different and it's engrishy as all hell.

Seriously though, I haven't played an MMO with such bad translation in a while.

Luckily it's still fun and the only F2P Diablo clone I know that's out now (though that'll change with Path of Exile and the TL MMO).

Lord_Mordja on
  • Options
    SonorkSonork CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So i've been playing World of tanks for the last 4 or so days. Man it is really fun. Once you play a bit and get past the dreadful Tier 1 starting tanks and start to build up a nice T2 tank the game really gets enjoyable. They have alot of really cool mechanics in the game. I'll name some.

- Tons of tanks from 3 differnt countries.
    - Light, Medium, heavy tanks. Artillery and Tank destroyers are all playable. Artillery has it's own overhead zoom/gameplay mechanic.
    - Every tank has diferent parts that have different amounts of armor. (side+rear hits gogo!)
    - Tanks have crew that gain exp as you play, crew can get injured and die in combat hindering your aiming/driving ect.
    - You can have 3-5 different tanks in your depot you can play and upgrade.
    - Destructable buildings and fences + more
    - huge teamwork payoff gameplay

- - THIS IS THE BEST THING EVER: When you die in a battle you can instantly leave the battle (your wreck will stay and you'll get awarded exp/money when the battle is over depending on your performance in that game) and jump into another one of your tanks and play ANOTHER game while your destroyed tank siting in another game. So you basiucally never stop playing the game it's awesome!

Anyways the beta for this is free right now and i'd suggest people try it. T1 and T2 tanks get paired up with eachotehr. When you get to T3 and can sometimes get thrown into BIG BOY land and face bigger tanks, tanks you do not want anything to do with if you're a light tank. XD But lucky each side is usually balanced with each side having acouple palyers with big tanks, artillery, medium and light tanks.

Me and acouple friends have been playing together and it's been a blast cooridinating on vent and what not. The game is almost completely different when you're palying with friends of the same tank type and working together.

Will deffinately play when it launches soon. I stress though you must accept when you play this game and start in your shitty T1 tank that just going into battle and HITTING an enemy can be counted as a victory before you're blown to bits. Don't expect to last long in these starting tanks, just jump out of the battle when dead and grab another tank then jump back in to earn money fast and get to better tanks.

Anyways just thought i'd mention this game, i'm sure it has been mentioned before, not sure where (search doesn't work) so i'd figure i'd just post my thoughts here.

I was skeptical at first, but once you realise you can't win em all and just enjoy the victories you do get, the game is a blast.

http://www.worldoftanks.com/

If your going to download go bit torrent link its way faster in their downloads section.

Sonork on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Theres a thread in the main G&T forum for it Sonork, unfortunately it's one of those games where you keep grinding trying to get to the point where the fun starts. There are a lot of bad tanks you have to buy/play through to get the good ones. There are also a ton of very stupid people playing it, which will cause you to lose game after game.

You will definitely enjoy it for a bit, but it will wear on you.

Morkath on
  • Options
    SonorkSonork CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I can see your point.

I personally enjoy the light tanks, after a not quite a week i'm just about to get the top one (Leopard) but even the T3 light tank (luche) i've taken down shermans solo with awesome driving/positioning. This game can really reward skill and teamwork. Get acouple friends and play all the same type of tank. It helps the enjoyment tremendously.

Sonork on
  • Options
    hazywaterhazywater Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Just get a tank to tier 5. Thats the most fun and balanced tier.

hazywater on
    Hrin - Eve Online
This discussion has been closed.