As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

El Shaddai: Gettin Biblical on your ass

manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?!Registered User regular
edited June 2011 in Games and Technology
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li0yID0-l9w&feature=related

Based on one of the 'forgotten' books of the Bible, El Shaddai is a... well, it's hard to tell WHAT the heck it is exactly. Part platformer, part action game seems to be the best bet at this point.

The story is simple enough. After a bunch of fallen angels do their douchebaggery, the Almighty selects Enoch, a human with free will, to go forth and capture them for great justice. He's backed on mission support, by... Lucifer of all people, who amusingly enough has a cell phone line straight to God. Enoch must save the world, assisted by various archangels in what looks like a kind of proto-Earth.

I'm getting ICO/Prince of Persia vibes from the whole deal. If nothing else it certainly looks unique.

manwiththemachinegun on

• Vincent GraysonVincent Grayson Frederick, MDRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    This looks bizarre but kind of awesome.

Vincent Grayson on
  • mastriusmastrius Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Looks epic. Cant wait for more details on it. I remember reading about it a month ago or so and wondering what in the hell it was. Then the video on it just made it worse. Its so cool you just want to know more.

mastrius on
    "You're like a kitten! A kitten who doesn't speak Japanese." ~ Juliet Starling
  • MarundoMarundo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, I've watched the E3 trailer at least 5 times. I look forward to more. I also think that the character of Enoch is kind of cool. Its based on a bible character that wrote a book for the bible, but its not cannon because people don't except it... Yet its in the Dead Sea Scrolls... And mentioned in Jude.

LOL I'm sure it won't follow the Book of Enoch much if at all, but I think its cool. I'm already sold. And I love the art style.

Marundo on
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Supposedly the team behind this has a lot of ex-Clover/Capcom guys that worked on Okami and Devil May Cry. I've definitely been interested in seeing more of it since it was announced.

Monger on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Looks cool, and I have a soft spot for japanese developed games with Christianity as their fantasy setting.

-SPI- on
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I like the art style throughout. What do you know about platforms?

fadingathedges on
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I like the art style throughout. What do you know about platforms?

PS3/360.

Anyway, yeah this has been on my radar for a while now. Very cool art style and interesting looking gameplay, so I'll give it a go at least. They've still got it listed for 2010 though, which I somehow doubt will actually happen.

I'm also cautious about Ignition's involvement, since their localizations are notorious for being horrible.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    He's backed on mission support, by... Lucifer of all people, who amusingly enough has a cell phone line straight to God.
    Well hey, if this is the Old Testament it's not that surprising.

'Course, maybe Metatron would've been a more logical choice, but with the game's subtitle being what it is, I guess he was unavailable.

WotanAnubis on
  • BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I have the feeling that this will end up much like a suda 51 game, and it already looks like art, so ill probably end up getting it pending some horrible gameplay.

Barcardi on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    it looks like it will largely play like Devil May Cry, at least in combat

so that's good news

Evil Multifarious on
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    He's backed on mission support, by... Lucifer of all people, who amusingly enough has a cell phone line straight to God.

'Course, maybe Metatron would've been a more logical choice, but with the game's subtitle being what it is, I guess he was unavailable.

I thought I heard somewhere that
    The angel Metatron is Enoch after his ascension?

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • MattakuevanMattakuevan Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Lanz wrote: »

I thought I heard somewhere that
    The angel Metatron is Enoch after his ascension?

That is the Shin Megami Tensei ideal for Enoch. Generally speaking it is a belief that Gnostics endured, but generally in Christianity he is just Enoch.

Mattakuevan on
  • simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Monger wrote: »
    Supposedly the team behind this has a lot of ex-Clover/Capcom guys that worked on Okami and Devil May Cry. I've definitely been interested in seeing more of it since it was announced.

This is enough for me.

simulacrum on
  • rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

From a biblical perspective, Satan was a Cherub before God banished him to Earth. He was apparently one of God's favorite angels.

rayofash on
  • JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Like the style. I'll keep an eye on it.

JihadJesus on
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    rayofash wrote: »

From a biblical perspective, Satan was a Cherub before God banished him to Earth. He was apparently one of God's favorite angels.

Lucifer, technically. I believe in that, outside of modern conflation of the two, Lucifer and Satan are supposed two separate beings, the latter being an angel that essentially serves God to say "Man those humans are so fucked up! See, look at the shitty things they're doing. Don'tcha just wanna smite 'em? Cause they're evil."

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • DracoGriffinDracoGriffin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Surprised no one else said it but they seem to have modeled Enoch (? I'm guessing, whoever the blonde guy is) after Brad Pitt as Achilles in Troy.

In one scene, he's in the 'traditional' somewhat 'Romanesque' and looks up, it's seemingly identical to one scene in the movie where Brad Pitt does the same thing.

So uh, yeah... just throwing that useless trivial information out there.

Closest picture I could find of the scene:
    troy_achilles_brad_pitt.jpg

Compare to 1:10 to 1:25; basically with a hint of asian features.

DracoGriffin on
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I was going to say the same thing, his face when he's putting on the first helmet looks like it was modeled on Brad Pitt directly.

Anyway, no idea what is going on but the graphical style is gorgeous. This trailer really reminds me of the first ever trailer for Killer 7. Platforms pending I'll probably get this even if the gameplay is shallow.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Not super high quality, but here's an interview with the director and some stuff not yet shown in the trailers:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/tgs-10-el-shaddai/705090

manwiththemachinegun on
  • rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Lucifer, technically. I believe in that, outside of modern conflation of the two, Lucifer and Satan are supposed two separate beings, the latter being an angel that essentially serves God to say "Man those humans are so fucked up! See, look at the shitty things they're doing. Don'tcha just wanna smite 'em? Cause they're evil."

I've never heard of Lucifer and Satan being two separate entities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucifer

Hmm... Looks like I'm gonna do some reading.

rayofash on
    edited September 2010
    What muddles the water even more is that Lucifer is also a title of Jesus.

It might be apt to say it is a title or position rather than a name, which makes the most sense.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

I've never heard of Lucifer and Satan being two separate entities.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lucifer

Hmm... Looks like I'm gonna do some reading.

In some circles(like SMT), Lucifer is regarded as the fallen angel, and Satan the avenging angel sent by God to test man's piety.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Wow. This is coming up, but only Play Asia has it for pre-order. Strange.

Krathoon on
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    What muddles the water even more is that Lucifer is also a title of Jesus.

It might be apt to say it is a title or position rather than a name, which makes the most sense.

Well, 'Morning Star' would be more accurate as the shared title, but translations muddy up the waters. Apparently in Hebrew the words are different.

Bigity on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Typically Morning Star (Son of Dawn) in the bible was simply a title for someone who was exalted. It was used by Isaiah to describe the king of Babylon. It was a title applied to Satan (and incidentally also Jesus); and aside from Christ himself it was just something to show that whoever was being referred to was once an exalted individual likely in the eyes of God and had fallen from their grace; particularly in the cases mentioned of Satan and the king of Babylon. Lucifer is simply the latin translation and was never actually a person; but a title. It just became synonymous with Satan and the two became interchangeable even though that's a fallacy. For instance many scholars would argue that the "Lucifer" of Job was not Satan at all; particularly given how readily he has access to the presence of God when that would be contradictorily to the idea that no unclean thing can come before God.

The Lucifer of this game is likely the same "Lucifer" that is referenced in Job and whatever apocryphal texts they're using for this.

Of course, anyone going into this game expecting any sort of scriptural accuracy is gonna be sorely disappointed. But then again people got offended by the plot of Xenogears so... :( Ancient scripture (of any faiths really) are rife with some wild and bizarre crap. Much of it would make for mighty interesting stories for video games.

Personally, as long as the gameplay is actually good, this game looks brilliant to me.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

edited April 2011
    I would hope there is a bear summoning attack, but that's just me.

One bit of information I'm not sure has been told is the health gauge is actually the main character. As you get hit, your armor gets broken and damaged.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The Lucifer of this game is likely the same "Lucifer" that is referenced in Job and whatever pseudepigraphal texts they're using for this.

/pedant

at least, I don't know of any Apocryphal text that has to do with Enoch

MrDelish on
    edited April 2011
    MrDelish wrote: »
    The Lucifer of this game is likely the same "Lucifer" that is referenced in Job and whatever pseudepigraphal texts they're using for this.

/pedant

at least, I don't know of any Apocryphal text that has to do with Enoch

The Book of Enoch is actually quoted in Jude in the New Testament. I'm saying it is an apocryphal text because it was widely known and read among the Jews around the time of Christ (hence the quotation), is part of the Dead Sea Scrolls so we know what some sects used it; it was left out of the Tanakh and thus the Bible. It is actually still in the scriptures of the Ethiopian orthodox church. There were actually three Books of Enoch that were widely known and used. Plus, as a member of the LDS church, we have even further expansion on Enoch in our scriptures. I'm sure LDS gospel won't be used in this game however. :P

Now, we don't need to get into a discussion about pseudopigraphal works because that is an entire thread of itself and would be more appropriate in D&D. I think the vast majority of scholarly views would say that there are hardly any books in the various Jewish/Christian scriptures that were actually written by who they are attributed to, aside from some of Pauls letters.

EDIT: I should say that it isn't technically in the typical list of books that are considered Apocrypha, no. So you're right there. Pseudepigrapha just denotes something more than simply "not included in the Tanakh and Septuagint and thus the Bible", as it implies false authorship. Just wanted to clarify what I was saying.

Anyway, /Pedant.

The Dude With Herpes on

• MrDelishMrDelish Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    and you probably go to UVU/live in Orem, too

weirdo

MrDelish on
    edited April 2011
    NO

Psh.

I live in Lehi and I graduated from the U a couple years ago. :P

The Dude With Herpes on

• GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm having a really hard time taking this game seriously now after seeing all the videos Niconico has done. Like how can I take this seriously when the whole time I'd be playing I'd be thinking of

this?

I'll still check it out most likely, but that video is just the tip of the iceberg for what Japan has done with this game.

Gilder on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Me, I'll be thinking of

260px-SMT-Datenshi.jpg

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Did someone make that in Garry's Mod?

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
    edited April 2011
    What the hell did I just watch?

The Dude With Herpes on

edited April 2011
    Gilder on
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Gilder wrote: »
    I'm having a really hard time taking this game seriously now after seeing all the videos Niconico has done. Like how can I take this seriously when the whole time I'd be playing I'd be thinking of

this?

I'll still check it out most likely, but that video is just the tip of the iceberg for what Japan has done with this game.

I lost it multiple times starting at the start of the video. Particularly, at "this is an umbrella" and "no problem no problem no problem no problem" and the ensuing attempted act of murder by Lucifer.

Someone has a sick, twisted sense of humor, and I love them for it.

Archonex on
    edited April 2011
    Here's another one.

Personally my favorite part of all the videos is that chanting whenever he falls. I should probably stop posting these though before anyone else becomes tainted and can't take the game seriously anymore.

Gilder on
  • GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Giant Bomb's got a pretty sweet Quick Look for this, looks pretty awesome. I'm loving the art style, and anything that has weird-ass angel designs gets extra points from me right off the bat.

GR_Zombie on
    04xkcuvaav19.png
    edited April 2011
    Ha, I wonder why this machinima is so popular for an unreleased game? Is it the VAs?

manwiththemachinegun on
  • RaziaRazia Sword and Shield Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    When I first saw this game, I thought it was by Atlus. It really reminds me of something they would put out.

Might be the art-style, I dunno.

Razia on
    blondeshep.jpg