As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tier 3 Gun Puppies:The Legend of Bullet Helda.[Spiral Knights]

TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in MMO Extravaganza
This is a spiral. This is a knight
Knight.png

This is the crazy-ass world in which Spiral Knights takes place.
background.png
I mean seriously. Take a good look at that
That is some crazy stuff there. It is a planet made of bits of stuff that also appears to be an actual globe, or an astrolabe, or one of those goofy things that steampunk cosplayers stick on their headgear.

That is Cradle. Cradle is a planet that is pretty damn rad. The entire subterranean surface is a complex arrangement of gears and platforms and all manner of doohickies known collectively as the Clockworks, which hosts robots, and demons, and zombies, feral creatures, and slimes and stuff.
Layer after layer of this stuff. There's ruined cities with decrepit skyscrapers and overgrown vegetation.
There's lush grasslands, frigid cooling units, graveyards, even a less than figurative corporate hell.

Oh also those guys I mentioned earlier? The robots, and zombies and slimes and stuff. They totally wanna ruin your day.

That's cool though.
Cause this is you
SpiralKnight.jpg
Okay. Maybe that's not you. Maybe you're not that cool, and you don't have a pony tail. But that is someone very much like you.
You are a robot who is also a knight. Your ship has crashed on Cradle, and you and your buddies are ready to delve into the Clockworks and beat the crap out of them for their precious bodily bits so you can make neat stuff for yourself, figure out just what's at the core of Clockworks and get home.
But why would you want to go home. This game is super fun. It plays like a cross between Zelda, Diablo, and Phantasy Star Online.
That last bit shouldn't come as too much of a surprise given that it was a collaborative effort between Three Rings Design (the folk that made my favorite MMO of all time, Yohoho! Puzzle Pirates) and Sega, who made PSO and some game called Sonikku or some shit.
Also the art lead is Ian McConville, from some webcomics you may or may not have read. You should though cause they're pretty great. Even though one is over and the other updates about as regularly as VGCats.

So how's the game work?
Basically you run around and hit stuff till it dies, then you pick up the delicious remnants. There's some caveats though.
You see, nothing on Cradle seems to work without "Energy." Something about thermodynamics or whatever. Energy comes in two forms. Mist energy, which you slowly absorb from your surrounding, at a rate that seems to be 100 arbitrary units per day. You are only able to store 100 arbitrary units on your person at a time, as in its gaseous state Energy is very unstable and prone to stripping off it's clothes in the supermarket. It also comes in a crystalline form which you can carry any amount of.
Anyway, you need it to do stuff like power elevators, which is how you get to places where you haven't yet slaughtered the local fauna. Or open some special gates. Or assemble your various ears and bones into jewelry to adorn your heathen body and aid you in battle.
The first one and to a lesser extent the third thing are the real kickers. Running out of the ability to do stuff kind of sucks. Fortunately, you can purchase more of it with the in game currency (crowns) or real world bucks.

There's another type of currency, tokens, which can be found by opening certain boxes and I believe killing certain enemies, which some vendors will take off your hands in return for various goods, in a fashion similar to WoW's badges.

You can arm yourselves with swords, guns, and bombs, all of which have their uses though I can't say I enjoy bombs very much yet. Enemies seem to be much better with them than me.
You can also equip head and torso armor, and a shield. There are slots for head and torse for cosmetic stuff, if you like the stats of one thing, but the looks of another.

There's also an arena type Brawl thing you can do with 4-8 players, but it's not up yet. I think it has rankings and they're gonna let the game warm up again before starting the season.

That's probably enough of me rambling for now. I've created a guild in game name Clawshrimp.
If you want a guild invite post here, or send a tell or in-game mail to Tofystedeth, Carmofin, Viridian, Bethryn, Avynte, Olliedag, Skulkraken, Scosglen, or Frem.
Let's get together and kick some butt. And have fun.
PA Vent Info:
IP: 69.12.36.171
PORT:2377
The Big List of Players
Players with stars are heathens who don't want in the guild.
<3 anyway.
Eponymous players: Tofystedeth, carmofin, Kyanilis*, Avynte, Scosglen, Zandracon, garthor, olliedag, some lurker named Baske*
Chocobolicious = Warkster
Riokenn = Kittan
Witchdoctor, DBM = Beatryx
Grobian = Bren
Skullkraken = Skulkraken
Delphinidaes = Delphin
Amikron Devalia = Amikron
kime = kime
Aunsoph = Viridian

steam_sig.png
Tofystedeth on

• carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So I've played this since beta and then stopped because i realized that everything will get deleted anyway. Now I've picked it up again and I'm trying to do my best to rush through everything as long as those CE costs are affordable, though it seems it's already reached the limit for me with 2,5 K. I guess it's back to one run a day.
    Very fun game, I'll be playing this casually I guess. I use a gamepad for it and it's really enjoyable, I'd call the game Secret of Mana online.
    What I wonder about the most right now is why the hell should I ever bother to play in a party? Can someone explain this? I know that most resources are shared, which is fine, however... Materials aren't. So while the monsters actually get TOUGHER for a party of players the reward you receive is smaller. So far I've been exclusively soloing on this restart and I got a hell of a lot more materials then on my last run where I was mostly playing with others. Since for now all my money is lost for CE, materials are the only thing I gain from a run.
    Also it seems I'm trapped with tier 1 runs until i can afford recipes for 3* equipment...

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I think money drops and heat scale with players, and I don't know if it does it linearly. You might get slightly more from grouping with 4 and splitting 4 ways than going alone. Heat isn't split, so it might be faster for leveling equipment. You definitely get more minerals, which is more money, and more whatever it gives when a gate you contributed to opens.

If you group with people you know (like a certain guild) who're willing to fill in mats you don't have, then that issue works itself out.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    My character is an ugly thing called Hamheim.

MKR on
  • OOO NickOOO Nick Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Heat is treated the same as crowns- everyone gets the crown or heat no matter who picked it up. It is essentially duplicated for each player in a party.

OOO Nick on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    OOO Nick wrote: »
    Heat is treated the same as crowns- everyone gets the crown or heat no matter who picked it up. It is essentially duplicated for each player in a party.

Thanks for clarifying this.

It's the best way to do it IMO. For the countless hours I put into games like Diablo or PSO, it never sat well with me that the only good way to progress was to be the fastest and greediest, if you were pugging it.

Having shared loot just makes everything much more friendly and less angsty. You can just sit back and have a good time and not fret about "zomg you stoled mah lootz!".

Anyway, my IGN is Galedrid. I've only played the once yesterday but I should be on tonight after my kid goes down; maybe earlier who knows. But I haven't progressed at all. I made it to Haven(I think that's what it was called) and was exploring the bazaar and got hit by some odd lag thing where I was just floating all over the screen and couldn't control myself so I logged.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Does anyone know how mist energy is managed across multiple accounts? I tried to create a "mule" account to see if I could use it just for crafting but It somehow linked up with my "main" account and has been sharing energy, defeating the purpose.

Scosglen on
    edited April 2011
    Oh and any tokens too, whether they be a boss drop or from a treasure block, they are duplicated for each player.

And while I'm at it, if you see a heart, it's yours as well.

OOO Nick on
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It blew up my video card driver and crashed the system. I was already pretty sour on Java. Seems like a fun game though.

MKR on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Kinda pissed delph didn't get me to play this game.

Only learnd of it via a Tweet from Tycho.

http://twitter.com/#!/TychoBrahe
    I'm finding myself surprisingly enamored with Spiral Knights, for some reason. http://t.co/x7ojCdS

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited April 2011
    Scosglen wrote: »
    Does anyone know how mist energy is managed across multiple accounts? I tried to create a "mule" account to see if I could use it just for crafting but It somehow linked up with my "main" account and has been sharing energy, defeating the purpose.

Accounts made on the same computer are linked via some kind of machine ID. Otherwise multiboxing to get extra heat and crowns to buy CE would be too easy. See the posts above about groups getting extra loot.

Also I'm not on now cause I'm hanging with my wife. Should be on some tomorrow evening, definitely friday for guild invites. Might sneak in for a bit in a couple hours. Send me an in game mail with your name and I'll invite and promote the first few of you to get things going.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I am enjoying this. A gamepad does a lot for my enjoyment, though. Using the mouse and such would have sucked for any long term pleasure.

Warkster is my in game name, I believe.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Kyanilis in game, I hit T2 stuff last night. I'm pretty much really enjoying this game, so feel free to friend me and join me or whatever, it'll be awesome.

Kyanilis on
  • RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If theres a guild up invite me! My IGN is Kittan and I plan on playing for a few hours.

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • FremFrem Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I also play this. I'm Frem in-game.

I really love what a low barrier to entry this game has. You don't need to make an account, because Facebook, and you don't need to download and run an installer, because Java. And the game apparently downloads in the background while you play the tutorial level.

I do wish Facebook logins could be streamlined a bit more, though.

Frem on
  • RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Down. :*( Anyone know when it will be back up?

ALSO: This maybe the ONLY MMO I will play with the 360 controller. It works so well! :D

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
    edited April 2011
    For most updates we bring the game back up within a couple minutes :)

OOO Nick on
    edited April 2011
    Is there any kind of in-game marketplace or AH to sell equipment or other valuables at?

Scosglen on
    edited April 2011
    Nick, as you've probably noticed our forums have been under some stress lately, so I don't know if you missed my question in the other thread.
    Something simple and less potentially problematic would just be Penny Arcadia or ClawShrimp or something typically PA. Creative? No. But in as colorful and approachable as the game is, I don't think having Fruit Fuckers or any variation of it would be a great idea.

Clawshrimp! Thank you. I saw a reference to that somewhere on the forum earlier today and thought it was perfect, but couldn't remember it when I made my post. Consider it made.

Edit: Shit, I didn't realize making a guild was so expensive. Well, I bit the bullet and bout $5 worth of CE. It'll be my contribution to cause, and also trying wangle a way to gather that much CE without dropping cash while one of the makers is right here* seemed a little crass.

*That's really cool by the way. Thanks for showing up and answering questions.

I have a question of my own. Is there any facility in game for taking screenshots? I tried and all it did was take a picture of whatever was opened behind the game client. I dug around in the install folder (fun to find btw. There were two between the LocalLow and Roaming bits of the virtualized fs) and couldn't find a folder where it might drop screenshots the way WoW does. Doesn't mean they're not there. Am I missing them? I wanted to show off one of the Devlish Drudgery levels, which make me giggle every time I go through one.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2011
    F12 should drop a screenshot on to your desktop.

OOO Nick on
  • AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    afaik everything is done by spamming trade regretfully.

I've been having a lot of fun with this game though, in as Avynte.

I hit t2 the other day and the difficulty really does ramp up, even with well leveled 2 star gear. The bad guys get some new moves, some new skins, and generally drop better loot.

I did get boned in one arena where it spawned 8 homing rocket gun-puppies for a wave though D:
    Had to eat a death to make it through there.

Also, fuck big wolvers forever. Gun dodging, triple bite charging, aoe attack boosting bastards.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg
    edited April 2011
    Avynte wrote: »
    afaik everything is done by spamming trade regretfully.

I've been having a lot of fun with this game though, in as Avynte.

I hit t2 the other day and the difficulty really does ramp up, even with well leveled 2 star gear. The bad guys get some new moves, some new skins, and generally drop better loot.

I did get boned in one arena where it spawned 8 homing rocket gun-puppies for a wave though D:
    Had to eat a death to make it through there.

Also, fuck big wolvers forever. Gun dodging, triple bite charging, aoe attack boosting bastards.

I hate those so hard. Even in T1 they do really really nasty.

Thanks for the F12 tip Nick.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2011
    I find myself wanting a stock ticker or a real time graph showing the prices of crystal energy. Keeping an eye on the shifting prices is almost a game unto itself.

There will be people that amass fortunes just by buying low and selling high, I'm sure.

Scosglen on
    edited April 2011
    Ok, I've sent guild invites to everyone who's posted their name so far. I assume when you say your IGN name that is also the name of your toon, or somehow invites go to your account? Using those names at least found something they could send it to anyway.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • MithMith Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I made my first T2 run today and the homing rockets were the worst shock, I got killed there too. Stopped me from reaching King Jelly. D=

In as Walker.

Mith on
    edited April 2011
    Scosglen wrote: »
    I find myself wanting a stock ticker or a real time graph showing the prices of crystal energy. Keeping an eye on the shifting prices is almost a game unto itself.

There will be people that amass fortunes just by buying high and selling low, I'm sure.

I did something like that. On SundayI bought 100 CE and monday I bout 200 using dungeon running proceeds. They were about 1200 on Sunday and 1400 on monday. On tuesday I bought 2k worth of mats for 110 CE, when ce was about 1700.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2011
    I'll take an invite, character name also Scosglen.

Scosglen on
  • Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I made a FemKnight looking thing called Beatryx.

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I've already got a guild with most of my friends, and I'm guild leader so I won't be in the PA guild :( But gah the game is addicting.

Kyanilis on
  • ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    In as the same name, stuff sure has changed since I last played this.

Zandracon on
  • GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm in as "Bren", but I only played until I reached Terminal 1 for the first time as I'm severely time impaired right now. Maybe I'll get online on the weekend.

Grobian on
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm in as Garthor. I did one dungeon run that ended up awesomely: after a rough start with some guy with connection issues, and one person dropping out due to lack of energy, me and another person made it all the way down to Level 8 I think. The start of Tier 2, where we couldn't pass because we didn't meet the gear requirements (and also we barely scraped through Level 7).

Starting gear and awesome skills, woo!

Now I Have ~2700 Moneys and I'm not sure what to do with them.

Garthor on
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Can this game be viably played without using real world monies?

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yes. You don't really have to get into crafting as far as I can see and if you don't, your regular supply of energy is good for at least 2 hours of game time a day.

Grobian on
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, if you don't have to spend any on ressing or optional gates, you get almost 2 full dungeon runs I think. And if you know a day where you won't have time to really play, you can use your Mist on that day for crafting.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2011
    Everything in the game can be experienced for free by using the exchange (click the energy module on the bottom right). You can exchange the crowns you have for real energy. Some players have accrued thousands of energy this way.

OOO Nick on
    edited April 2011
    So far I only dropped any real coin buying energy to make the guild, since that takes about twice as much as I had on hand + crowns to buy. Energy isn't terribly expensive in real world bucks. I bought 1600 for 5 dollars I think, and after making the guild and doing one 3-4 person run with the guild and some transmutes I still have 1400 after buying some with crowns. I'm like, what do I do with my vast wealth now?
    Tomorrow will probably devastate that pile of CE though, since I'll be between old job and new job.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • carmofincarmofin Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ugh... crystal energy prices are increasing by 200 crowns daily, we're up to 2700 now...
    I am so glad that I spent the last few days hoarding CE. I will really miss that time, because it was possible to play nonstop and still increase your fortune.
    Everyone in this thread should have received invites to the guild so far.

carmofin on
    PSN | Steam
    ___
    NNID: carmofin
    3DS: 2852 6971 9745
    Throw me a PM if you add me
    edited April 2011
    It takes about 60 energy to do a full tier 1 run assuming you don't rack up any additional costs from death and gate opening.

You can earn about 3000 crowns from that, not including material or mineral sales, and buy another supply of 100 energy with 2500-2700 crowns.

This system works great at the moment, you can make a slim profit and keep a steady supply of energy coming in so that you can keep playing if you don't want to spend money.

However, I foresee a serious problem when the market takes its inevitable course and energy becomes totally unaffordable to low level players, as the prices shift to meet only the high tier player market.

On an unrelated note, I want to punch someone's face in when I join a party and the game dumps me into the break on level 4 or the very end of a level, happily consuming my 10 energy, then asking me to cough up another 10 energy seconds later. Totally stupid

Scosglen on
  • SkulkrakenSkulkraken Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    In as Skulkraken.

Skulkraken on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So uh...is there a link to the main site anywhere in the OP that I missed, or do we just tell people to google stuff when making megathreads nowadays?

The Muffin Man on