As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pregnancy and drug interactions, go!

Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships)Registered User regular
edited April 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So I've asked the doctor (but really, what would she know?), I've asked the internet(it's always right!), but since this is one area where letting my innate paranoia run rampant isn't a problem, I now want to query people on the internet:

Tylenol
Amoxicillin
Percoset

Every source consulted so far says when used appropriately, none of these pose significant risk to women in mid to late term pregnancy. Truth?

Gabriel_Pitt on

• Options
    Reverend_ChaosReverend_Chaos Suit Up! Spokane WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    As a fake internet lawyer with a child Doctor as my avatar, I must tell you that I am not a doctor, in real life or the internet. With that in mind.....

If there is even a slight chance of issues, a Doctor will usually tell you to stay away. If she tells you to take it, and there are known issues and something bad happens, she is liable.

In most cases (there are glaring exceptions) a Doctor will always err on the side of caution, unless you are on TV and your doctor is Hugh Laurie....

Reverend_Chaos on
    “Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2011
    I'm not sure about the second two, but Tylenol is pretty well-known to be safe.

Basically, you're going to want to look for lists of Category A drugs (drugs that have been tested and found to be of no harm to a growing fetus when taken as directed). The categories get progressively less "safe" and progressively more on a "need-to-take basis"

According to wikipedia, acetaminophen (Tylenol) is Cat A in Australia and Cat B in the US (pretty safe), amoxicillin is the same, and percocet is listed at B/D (high dosage or prolonged use).

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    A doctor would know better than us, but yes, those are all safe during pregnancy from what I remember.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The only problem I see is percoset (oxycodone) when you're close to having your baby. Any narcotic can be addiction forming, oxycodone is shown to be as such, and your baby could theoretically be born having withdrawal symptoms.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    And that all mirrors what I discovered on my own, as well as what the doctor said. The percoset is only enough for a few days of usage, so addiction worries aren't really on the table.

Well, that assuages even my paranoia (and confirms I didn't make any mistakes due to language barriers), I just wanted reassurance that yes, the trained professional actually did know what they were talking about, and were not trying to mislead me to their own nefarious ends. :P

Unless you're all in on it too, but that is probably a thread for another time.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2011
    That would be a very elaborate conspiracy...

...unless were were all unwitting participants and acetaminophen is actually some sort of mind control drug and that's why headaches get better when you take it...

...but life gets really complicated when you start to think that way.

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Good on you for being willing to take stuff, my wife wouldn't even take tylenol when she was pregnant. I'm all for being safe but you need to be comfortable too.

Peen on
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    And that all mirrors what I discovered on my own, as well as what the doctor said. The percoset is only enough for a few days of usage, so addiction worries aren't really on the table.

Well, that assuages even my paranoia (and confirms I didn't make any mistakes due to language barriers), I just wanted reassurance that yes, the trained professional actually did know what they were talking about, and were not trying to mislead me to their own nefarious ends. :P

Unless you're all in on it too, but that is probably a thread for another time.

Registered Nurse here. Graduate anesthesia school, etc.

None of those are a problem if taken as prescribed. Don't overdose on the Percocet. Don't mix any of them with alcohol (which I am sure she is not drinking regardless).

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    For the record, I am way too XY to ever get pregnant outside of a Schwarzenegger buddy movie. I am the information chokepoint in this scenario, and being the worrier I am, want to make sure the info I'm passing on is 110% verified to my satisfaction.

Gabriel_Pitt on