As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I just got an Amiga 500, and I know damn near nothing about it

TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
edited April 2011 in Games and Technology
I went to a 2nd hand shop yesterday here in Texas, and to my shock I saw an Amiga 500. I know the Amiga was gaming heaven in the UK, but it never caught on in the US. I snatched it up and it came with 5 games - Chaos Engine 2, Superfrog, Rough n Tumble, Leonheart, and it came from the desert, along with this joystick with 2 buttons. Oh, and this floppy called "Kickstart 1.3."

I have some questions about the joystick. The only game which seems to support 2 buttons is Lionheart, but both buttons do the exact same thing, despite the options screen giving me the option of choosing 2 buttons. The other games only support 1 button. Is this common?

Speaking of the joystick, this is crazy, but I actually owned one of these joysticks way back in the 80's. I bought it at this random store I went to where we used to buy Sega Master System games, and the guy there sold it to us as an SMS controller. I had never seen another controller like it before, nor had I seen one since, until I bought this baby. I'm guessing this is the official amiga controller or something? It's blue with a big red handle, and 2 red buttons on the base.

I'm interested in picking up other games for the thing, but after stopping at Lemon Amiga, I'm completely overwhelmed. There are thousands of games for this machine, and I have no idea which are good or bad. Mind recommending me some games?

TheSonicRetard on

• MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Speedball 2, Robocod, Parasol Stars, Lotus Turbo, Monkey Island... I'll try to think up more later.

I don't remember there being an official joystick for the Amiga. Your stick sounds like a Competition Pro but I don't remember the base being blue.

I don't know if you can do it with the 500 but with the 1200 you can install a CF hard drive inside and load your games from the workbench off of it to pretty much eliminate loading times. Worth looking into as it's pretty cheap and easy as mods go :)

Moioink on
  • bwaniebwanie Posting into the void Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    ik+, zoel, start control 2, err super pang is very addictive with two players.

man just see gamefaqs top whatever for amiga.

great find though.

bwanie on
    Yh6tI4T.jpg
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Moioink wrote: »
    Speedball 2, Robocod, Parasol Stars, Lotus Turbo, Monkey Island... I'll try to think up more later.

I don't remember there being an official joystick for the Amiga. Your stick sounds like a Competition Pro but I don't remember the base being blue.

I don't know if you can do it with the 500 but with the 1200 you can install a CF hard drive inside and load your games from the workbench off of it to pretty much eliminate loading times. Worth looking into as it's pretty cheap and easy as mods go :)

Yeah, it doesn't seem like the 500 has a harddrive at all. It all runs off floppies. My machine only has 1 floppy drive, too.

What a weird computer.

TheSonicRetard on
    edited April 2011
    Also, YES! It is a competition pro:

j04.jpg

That joystick is actually what caught my eye before I saw the amiga. I instantly recognized it from when I was a kid, and it blew me away because it was my favorite controller for the SMS. I hadn't seen one in 20 damn years!

Never had a clue it was an amiga controller. I played some wonderboy in monsterland earlier today on my SMS with the joystick and the nostalgia rush was incredible.

It looks like these things come in different colors too. The one I have is the EXACT color scheme as our old one that I used with SMS.

TheSonicRetard on
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Gods, James Pond 2: Robocod, Putty and Zool were all great platformers.

There's also a game I can't remember the name of, maybe someone will know it. You could have 2 players, one pink and one blue little characters with wands. Each level was a single screen with multiple platforms and ladders I think and you moved your way up a tower. Remember it being quite fun.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I had an A500 back in the day, and used some old 1-button Atari 2600 joysticks with it. Had a ton of simulation games with enough controls to require KB/joy and that button was largely ignored. The default 2-button mouse was hella clunky and broke with a quickness; I replaced it with a trackball that had red & green LEDs inside that lit up when the ball was spun in either direction. That was pretty rad at the time.

Games of particular note:

- Gunship (Apache simulator)
    - Red Storm Rising (submarine sim)
    - A-10 Tank Killer (Warthog sim)
    - Airborne Ranger (basically metal gear)
    - the original Pirates!

Pretty sure I still have all my Amiga disks at home, will check back tonight. I had Dragon's Lair (on five floppies), but good lord the load times on that bitch. That's what I get for not having parents who'd spring for the hard disk!

DivideByZero on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Congratulations on the find -)

I'm pretty sure the joystick you have has two buttons which both do the same as it was the norm for computer joysticks at that time (PC joysticks excluded as they were analog and super expensive). So two buttons but just one function + plus some joysticks had like a little switch which enabled an "Auto-fire"- function which is like if you tap the button constantly.

If I recall correctly some games require the machine to have memory expanded to 1024 MB instead of the standard 512 MB but otherwise you should be able to run pretty much all Amiga games except some will require a mouse.

Some of the best games I remember are (I'm leaving out what the others have mentioned):

Flood (A platform game with many cool ideas. Great fun.)
    Spoiler so only watch a bit

Elite (A space flying trading/fighting game) - It was on all platforms but the Amiga one is the best imho
    Silent Service (A simple submarine game but not too simple and great fun)
    Lotus Esprit Turbo Challenge (Arcade style racing - best with two players)

There were many other games like fight sims and strategy games but they have all been bettered many times over on PC's.

If recall the Kick Start floppy is like a disc with operating system and few utilities and a Basic interpreter one it. If you're into programming it may be worth a look but otherwise it's only of value if some game requires you to be run by booting from the kick start and then run a program from the game disc.

A note of warning. Computer viruses existed on the Amiga so to safe it's a good habit to turn of the machine when switching game otherwise it can spread from disc to disc and destroy games.

Finally if the Amiga gets all to difficult there is a great emulator you can run on your PC instead only you will need a joystick interface to get the real experience.

BlindZenDriver on
    Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • HimenovampyreHimenovampyre Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

There's also a game I can't remember the name of, maybe someone will know it. You could have 2 players, one pink and one blue little characters with wands. Each level was a single screen with multiple platforms and ladders I think and you moved your way up a tower. Remember it being quite fun.

The game was called Rodland. You make the ladders yourself using the wands...it's a great game.

In the same vein, there was Rainbbow Islands on Amiga too.

You want a great RPG - pick up Dungeon Master!

Himenovampyre on
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You want an amazing game?

CABAL

Man I had so many awesome games on my Amiga!
    Like this one:
    HOSTAGES
    Just listen to that soundtrack! It's amazing!
    Also in the same vein:
    ALCATRAZ

Good times. The Amiga 500 made me a gamer.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

The game was called Rodland. You make the ladders yourself using the wands...it's a great game.

In the same vein, there was Rainbbow Islands on Amiga too.

You want a great RPG - pick up Dungeon Master!

Rodland that's it!

Everytime I see something relating to Amiga I remembered it but never knew the name.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • SeolSeol Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, it doesn't seem like the 500 has a harddrive at all. It all runs off floppies. My machine only has 1 floppy drive, too.

What a weird computer.
    Welcome to the world of 80s British bedroom computers. No HDD, TV-out (for most - Amstrad CPCs had proper monitors). Joysticks were standard across the industry: all MIDI-port sticks. I ended up using SMS and Megadrive pads on my Amstrad CPC, and the same controllers worked on Spectrums, Commodores, Amigas, Ataris.

Seol on
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You have Superfrog, which was going to be my first suggestion, but I imagine that's my own nostalgia creeping in.

Simon the Sorcerer is an awesome game, plays similarly to Monkey Island but in a fantasy setting. If you're a fan of the genre then you have the Indiana Jones games as well.

Also, the original Dune.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Games list I'd recommend :

- Monkey Island
    - New Zealand Story
    - Cannon Fodder
    - Cabal
    - Settlers
    - SpeedBall 2
    - Flashback
    - Another World
    - Syndicate
    - The Chaos Engine
    - Turrican
    - International Karate
    - Loom
    - Hostage : The Embassy Rescue
    - Shadow Dancer
    - Pushover
    - James Pond 1 + 2
    - Eye of the Beholder 2

A hand full of these were ported to the Mega-Drive/Genesis and SNES, but if you have not had the chance to play them, might as well get them on the Amiga.

Waka Laka on
  • MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Seol wrote: »

What a weird computer.
    Welcome to the world of 80s British bedroom computers. No HDD, TV-out (for most - Amstrad CPCs had proper monitors). Joysticks were standard across the industry: all MIDI-port sticks. I ended up using SMS and Megadrive pads on my Amstrad CPC, and the same controllers worked on Spectrums, Commodores, Amigas, Ataris.

Fortunately the Amiga community has always been very rabid. We're talking USB, WIFI, HDD and VGA mods. Their dedication knows no bounds.

Moioink on
  • CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Starflight
    Loom
    Defender of the Crown
    Might and Magic III
    Archon

CygnusZ on
  • CampyCampy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I can't second Chaos Engine and Speedball 2 hard enough, both super fun games 1 or 2 player.

The only game I can think of that hasn't been mentioned already would be North & South.

Campy on
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Troddlers was my favourite Amiga game for quite a while as a kid. A brilliant Lemmings style puzzle game. I did find out much later that there was a SNES version but whatever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgJyyVKaSNs

I also second ZOOL, Cannon Fodder, James Pond and Speedball 2.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
    edited April 2011
    So I've been playing lionheart since I got home and Jesus Christ, this is one hell of a game. It feels so quality, like a lost snes or genesis classic. I guess the fact that it's amiga exclusive kinda makes it feel even more special. The visuals are outstanding, shaming anything I've seen on the snes, genesis, or turbo duo. It puts that vaunted ham mode to excellent use. It's gameplay is also outstanding - I've never played a side scrolling hack n slash quite like this. It's sword attacking method is strange yet surprisingly intuitive.

I have a sharp 68k, essentially the japanes m68k pc, and it blew ms away when I got it, but it's library of quality games is pretty much limited to awesome arcade ports. It seems the amiga library is quite different. I'd always avoided 80's console/pc hybrid gaming as... Well I knew nothing about it and kinda assumed it was low quality. Damn I was wrong.

Any other must play games like lionheart? I keep hearing that shadow of the beast is a killer app, but I have that on the SMS and genesis and it blows. Is it much improved on the amiga?

TheSonicRetard on
    edited April 2011
    Also, on the subject of euro computers, I am suddenly interested in the c64. As I understand it, you can thin of the relationship between the c64 and the amiga 500 as being analogous to that of the nes and snes, or SMS and genesis. And after playing with this amiga, that comparison is enough to tell me I need to explore it's library. Any good c64 recommendations? Or general info to know? Can I hook up a c64 to a tv like I'm doing with the amiga?

TheSonicRetard on
  • KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The Last Ninja 1+2
    Moonstone (I believe this was still Amiga, and not early 486 era)

Others have already mentioned other great games, but I didn't see these 2 mentioned.

Klatu on
    Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    don't know if this is a taboo topic but are there any amiga emulators?

Because I am looking at these videos and wanting to play some of these games

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • SeolSeol Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Also, on the subject of euro computers, I am suddenly interested in the c64. As I understand it, you can thin of the relationship between the c64 and the amiga 500 as being analogous to that of the nes and snes, or SMS and genesis. And after playing with this amiga, that comparison is enough to tell me I need to explore it's library. Any good c64 recommendations? Or general info to know? Can I hook up a c64 to a tv like I'm doing with the amiga?
    all computers from that era hooked up to televisions (apart from amstrads, which are massively obscure by comparison to the commodores/spectrums/bbcs of the day).

Seol on
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

The C64 was superb, I had both that and an Amiga (though I had the A600, then a CD32 with an SX1 expansion...which still lives under my tv). I've still got all my big box Amiga games too, I just couldn't part with them. Most Amiga games have been covered now, though I don't belive Shadow of the Beast has been mentioned. Infamous at it's release for being crazy hard but having gorgeous graphics. I'll let wikipedia do the talking:
    Psygnosis had published numerous side scrollers with high quality graphics prior to the release of Shadow of the Beast (most notably Obliterator). Shadow of the Beast, however, was considered revolutionary because its graphics, with many more colours on screen and up to twelve levels of parallax scrolling backdrops, were of a level rarely if ever seen before in action games. It was also notable for its atmospheric score composed by David Whittaker that used high-quality instrument samples.

As a sonic fan I wouldn't recommend going anywhere near Zool or Superfrog, they've aged badly, whereas Sonic hasn't. They're very floaty, not overly smooth and just don't play well.

However for the C64 I would recommend Creatures 1 & 2. The second game in the series is still, to this day, one of my all time favourite games and I think it has aged fantastically. The first game is a pretty run of the mill platformer that broke things up every few levels with a "torture stage" this was a single screen puzzle level. You had a cute little fuzzy creature on a conveyor belt, heading towards some horrible monster with a chainsaw (or some such variation on that theme), you had to figure out how to crush/destroy the monster or stop the conveyor belt to save the cuddly little creature. If you didn't then it was murdered in a horribly bloody fashion.

For the sequel they realised that the puzzle parts of the game were the most popular, so it largely consists of single screen platform puzzles, broken up with some entertaining mini games. It's horribly, horribly violent, sickeningly cute and is absolutely fantastic.

This was the first level, which was really easy:

cre2_00.gif

You've got the little dude at the bottom on a conveyor belt heading towards the Acme Press, powered by the monster on the bike. You start half way up and there are two monsters you can't see on there you need to dispatch, then hop over the lake and breath fire on to the bomb, then kick it down. It blows a hole in to the section below and you can jump down and shoot the brake leaver holding the cycling dude in place. He flies off the screen and the creature is saved. Easy peasy. It then gets tricky:

335409-is3_torture2_super.jpg

Creature on burning spit, water filled balloons, save him before being fried to a crisp! Giant Bomb overview: http://www.giantbomb.com/creatures-2-torture-trouble/61-12455/

General advice on the C64. The joysticks you're using with the Amiga should work fine on the C64 (as will mega-drive pads and master system pads), only one button will be used though. Every c64 I've come across in this day and age has a dodgy power switch which can be tricky to flip on and off, it's really easy to fix if you come across one in a shop so don't let this put you off. It'll plug in to your TV just fine.

The C64 has a cartridge slot, some games came on cartridge. I also remember having an "action replay" cart that let you pause the game and access code in the background, fiddle around with variables etc. It could enable infinite lives by pausing the game with a button on the top, and putting it in to "search" mode. You then lost a life, pressed the button on the cart again to pause the game and it recognised what variable had changed and stopped it. I was amazed by this voodoo at the time.

But most games will come on tape, so you'll need a decent tape deck with it too (they're not built in). Again if the tape deck is faulty they're usually pretty easy to fix (it's normally just the elastic band inside that turns the heads has stretched and needs replacing).

General Amiga advice. Don't know if this works on the A500, but it did on the A600/A1200 but if you hold down both mouse buttons when booting up it should give you some config options. I remember some of the options allowed the A1200 to play A500 games without issue. One of the options was also to switch between Pal and NTSC.

Oh and get a copy of Workbench, the Amiga OS, it's fun to play around with.

It's a shame you're not in the UK, I see C64s a fair bit at carboot sales and keep meaning to pick one up again!

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • cmsamocmsamo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I remember one of the best things I discovered with my C64 (when I was 10!) was that if you loaded some games from Tape Side B instead of Tape Side A, you started off at levels in the middle of the game - Platoon was a great example - Load from Side B and you started on Level 6 :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNfsY4CnJzA

Edit - as for joysticks - you couldn't beat the Konix Speedking, and then later the Konix Speedking Analogue

These sticks were amazing

http://img.over-blog.com/481x475/1/27/40/16/Evolution-joystick/Joystick-evolution-Speedking-analogue.jpg

cmsamo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Other C64 games:

Kokotoni Wilf
    Forbidden Forest
    Beyond the Forbidden Forest
    BC's Quest for Tyres
    Gumshoe
    Fred

If you can find it (I still have mine!) then a lot of the above came on a "Soft Aid" tape, similar to "Band Aid", all the proceeds went to the same charity.

It even had "Do they know it's Christmas" song on the other side of the tape. Was never a fan of the song, but that tape spent more time in my C64 than anything else.

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
    edited April 2011
    The only C64 game I played more than a handful of times was Montezuma's Revenge but damn was that one great. Kind of the precursor to the Metroidvania genre.

DivideByZero on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    One relatively unknown game I'd recommend is Globdule by Psygnosis. One of the best platformers I've played on the system.

Edit:

Also, I can't believe no one recommended Lemmings 2: The Tribes. That game is fucking nuts - you thought they couldn't make a proper sequel to Lemmings, but they did and it is absolutely massive.
    Any other must play games like lionheart? I keep hearing that shadow of the beast is a killer app, but I have that on the SMS and genesis and it blows. Is it much improved on the amiga?

Shadow of the Beast blows on any system it's on. It's just not a very good game, though the Amiga version is one of the prettiest (and arguably has the best soundtrack). 2 and 3 are better, but even back in the day I would not have called them great. Play mostly for curiosity's sake and to appreciate the rather stellar aesthetic design.

I further recommend tracking down Delphine Software's catalogue. Aside from Out of This World and Flashback (both of which are great on the Amiga), Cruise For A Corpse, Operation Stealth/007: The Stealth Affair and Future Wars are all awesome technical showpieces. They did some pretty impressive things with the system at the time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3PtCmCDym4

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So many good games

Rodland, James pond ... Anything bitmap brothers is a good bet.

Magic pockets, Gods, Leander (my #1 suggestion), Lotus Esprit, Shadow of the Beast series ...

desc on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    edited April 2011
  • eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Congratulations! Now you can play the best version of one of the greatest video games in history, despite it being released for mobile phones, XBLA, iPhone, etc:

Speedball 2!

No remake even comes close, though perhaps one of the reasons is a lack of the following:

tac-2.png

And FOR FUCK'S SAKE PEOPLE, I'm glad you mentioned Dungeon Master, Gods, IK+, Turrican 1 & 2, Shadow of the Beast 2, etc, etc, but for the love of all that is holy you forgot Stunt Car Racer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wey5s5ceMxE

How could you? :( For shame. I feel like I need comforting now. The game never even got a sequel, and you forgot about all about it! There, there, poor Geoff. At least he got to make some nice F1 games afterwards, but why did he leave us in the cold? Jet Car Stunts for the iPhone is nice, but it's not the same... *sniff* Ok, I'm fine now. Sorry.

Also equally disappointed about the lack of Supercars 2:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWzlO7HkF3w

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I had an Amiga 2000 until it was destroyed in a natural disaster. It was good times.

I wish I could give some good recommendations on games. Most of what I played were shareware & public domain games downloaded from Aminet or BBSes. It had one of the most thriving shareware communities of the era.

I loved that computer, though.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It still trips me out that I had a multitasking Windows-like GUI that booted from a 3.5" floppy and ran on a 7mhz processor with 1M of RAM.

And it somehow ran smoother and did more than my 486 running Windows 3.1 and DOS 6.22.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
    edited April 2011
    Feral wrote: »
    It still trips me out that I had a multitasking Windows-like GUI that booted from a 3.5" floppy and ran on a 7mhz processor with 1M of RAM.

And it somehow ran smoother and did more than my 486 running Windows 3.1 and DOS 6.22.

I don't think any emu*ator even today produces as smooth full screen scrolling as you can see on the original machine.

Which reminds me, I'm really sad for everyone who missed out on the whole demo scene too.

eobet on
    Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    And that's an 880KB double-density floppy, not the HD floppies that most people are familiar with.

japan on
  • HitsuraptorHitsuraptor Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Lots of great games mentioned here, but a few I havent seen yet

Impossible Mission 2 which is kind of a platform/puzzle hybrid type of game, one of my favourite games on the amiga though I've still never actually finished it, all I remember is getting safe codes to change buildings, and trying to piece together some kind of recording but I'm not sure for what. And the first thing that popped in my head when I thought of that game was "Destroy him my robots" and then the main guys death scream whenever you stuff up.
    There was also a few beat em ups, dynamite dux which was an arcade port I think, and there was another one Ninja Warriors which I use to play the shit out of with my older brothers. It was a 2D side scroller where you where funnily enough a ninja, but the twist was as you started losing health/ going through the game more and more of the costume would get hit off till eventually you where just a cyborg skeleton.
    Although this video doesnt seem to show the costume leaving as you get hit, but I'm pretty sure it did unless my mind is playing awesome tricks on me (Also massive nostalgia when I heard that theme song)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_akK3cOHfk

And ok this one been mentioned already but goddamn I love this game IK+
    I think my entire idea of fighting sound effects as a kid came from this game, and such a simple game that was sooo much fun especially if you actually had 3 people playing. Then the random things like pressing space bar dropped everyones pants, or the F keys changing the backgrounds, or giving the miyagi ref a chequered shirt for some reason. Even the bonus stages where fun, kicking bombs away and blocking bouncing balls (with the occasional head), and that theme song

Silkworm was another I use to play heaps of, it was a shump side scroller, but the main thing was one player was a helicopter and the other player was a jeep
    I'd also second a few of the games already mentioned, New Zealand Story, Rainbow Islands, Hunted

(Man I wish I still had my A500 :( )

Hitsuraptor on
    edited April 2011
    LAnd ok this one been mentioned already but goddamn I love this game IK+
    I think my entire idea of fighting sound effects as a kid came from this game, and such a simple game that was sooo much fun especially if you actually had 3 people playing.

Trivia time: All of the sound effects were shamelessly stolen from Bruce Lee's Enter The Dragon.

(Trivia bonus: An extremely similar fighting game, Barbarian*, stole its sound effects from the movie Conan the Barbarian.)

* For the OP: You need to get the Palace version of Barbarian 1 and 2, and also the Psygnosis version of Barbarian 2!

eobet on
    edited April 2011
    I invested so many hours into the Shoot em Up Construction Kit and Pinball construction kit. At the tender age of 13 I was making bullet-hell shooters based on Top Gun.

Also, Globulus

The Colonel's Bequest

Workbench was amazing

Goddamn I miss this computer sometimes.

DivideByZero on
    edited April 2011
    Two which haven't been mentioned yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRLhyObYbQo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7RW9ODTQ9k

I think, by now, just by looking at the related videos on Youtube, you'll find most Amiga classics...

eobet on
    edited April 2011
    I'd also second a few of the games already mentioned, New Zealand Story, Rainbow Islands, Hunted

(Man I wish I still had my A500 :( )

MOTHERFUCKINGKIWIBASTARDS

desc on