As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A Song of Ice and Fire: The pilot is so close you can taste the incest.

• RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Please don't argue the mechanics of lightsabers in the Ice and Fire thread
    that is so fucking stupid

RubberAC on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Andrew_Jay wrote: »
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Game of Thrones has received a couple of bad reviews.

And when I say bad reviews, I mean the reviews themselves are bad. "The acting, directing, writing, and production values are all great! But I don't like/understand fantasy, so the show is bad. Plus, what's up with the weather?!"

link to the WiC article
    Yes, this is the kind of fantasy that invents realms and thrones and magical petrified dragons’ eggs . . .
    Oh man, fantasy that invents stuff? I hate that kind of fantasy.

Remember, some fake stuff made up to tell a story is great and serious and totally ok.

Other fake made up to tell a story is silly and juvenile though.

This totally makes sense!

shryke on
  • LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If the boobs and violence is to do with vampires then it's great for all ages. If the boobs and violence have swords and knights and castles then it's just pandering to basement dwelling virgins. Gosh, it's like you know nothing.

Lorahalo on
    I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Why is it legit for a show to use science as magic, but it's 'nergasm' to use magic as magic?

Casually Hardcore on
  • YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Relevant Kurt Vonnegut quote (from after he published "Player Piano"):
    I have been a soreheaded occupant of a file drawer labeled 'science fiction' ever since, and I would like out, particularly since so many serious critics regularly mistake the drawer for a urinal.

Yougottawanna on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Just wait for the Sepinwall review. Podcast form on Monday, written probably Friday afternoon?

That's the dude you want to listen to anyway.
    Also a gigantic fucking nerd.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
    edited April 2011
    Well, you would expect him to not trash it, but GRRM sounds pleased.

enlightenedbum on
  • Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Lorahalo wrote: »
    . . . If the boobs and violence have swords and knights and castles then it's just pandering to basement dwelling virgins. Gosh, it's like you know nothing.
    The weird thing is that I don't see a huge difference between this and The Tudors (though admittedly, Song of Ice and Fire has a lot more violence, and more dragons too), and The Tudors was a big success.

Andrew_Jay on
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2011
    The Tudors is based, loosely, on history. ASOFAI isn't, and is instead based on fantasy novels.

Look, it's unfair and awful that some mainstream critics are going to write this off because it commits the hideous sin of genre, but it shouldn't be entirely unexpected.

Bogart on
  • JacksWastedLifeJacksWastedLife Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Bogart wrote: »
    The Tudors is based, loosely, on history. ASOFAI isn't, and is instead based on fantasy novels.

Look, it's unfair and awful that some mainstream critics are going to write this off because it commits the hideous sin of genre, but it shouldn't be entirely unexpected.

Sorry, but ASOIAF has as much to do with European political history as the Tudors does.

JacksWastedLife on
  • LibrarianLibrarian The face of liberal fascism Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Sorry, but ASOIAF has as much to do with European political history as the Tudors does.

Uhm.....no.

I mean, of course you can say it is loosely based on the Wars of the Roses, but really, it's not like they had dragons and undead and the official maesters club and shapechangers and ravenmail in ye olde Englande.

Librarian on
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Librarian wrote: »

Uhm.....no.

I mean, of course you can say it is loosely based on the Wars of the Roses, but really, it's not like they had dragons and undead and the official maesters club and shapechangers and ravenmail in ye olde Englande.

They have that shit in the Bible and people believe that to the point of worship!

Casually Hardcore on
    edited April 2011
    Librarian wrote: »

Uhm.....no.

They have that shit in the Bible and people believe that to the point of worship!

Yes..., well.

I am just saying, however inaccurate the historical facts and characterisation in The Tudors might be(and I have never watched it and can not judge that), it is in principal based on fact and history, which Song of Ice and Fire is not.
    I don't see where the bible comes into that.

Librarian on
    edited April 2011
    And there are tons of people who will dismiss anything in the scifi and fantasy genre just like that because they think it's all funny books with elves and dragons.

I have tons of coworkers who think I have a bad juvenile taste in literature because I read books by Gene Wolfe or George Martin or Dan Simmons and who think they are well read becasue they like Dan Brown and generic crime/thriller/yet-another-forensic-expert-hunting-pychokillers stuff and those people work in a library.

Librarian on
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    That's definitely true, but let's admit that the majority of fans of genre fiction don't necessarily have very discerning tastes. Go to a shop and open any sci-fi or fantasy book at random, and chances are the writing will be mediocre at best. It's definitely the same for non-genre writing (the majority of *people* don't have very discerning tastes), but at least outside the genre ghetto writers don't think they have to commit to writing a seven-part saga.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Eh, if you go open any book period at random it will be shit.

I don't think fantasy or sci-fi is any worse as a percentage of volume, there's a lot of bad books out there period

override367 on
    edited April 2011
    Definitely, but geeks can have this tendency where anything is cool as soon as it's got dragons or spaceships or pirates or zombies in it. I haven't yet found this very specific Pavlovian trigger outside genre fans.

Edit: if it's not part of a genre or has another marketable hook, a book is less likely to be published. A crap book that publishers think could be the next Wheel of Time (or these days Twilight, more likely) has better chances of being printed.

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Thirith wrote: »
    Definitely, but geeks can have this tendency where anything is cool as soon as it's got dragons or spaceships or pirates or zombies in it. I haven't yet found this very specific Pavlovian trigger outside genre fans.
    Mystery, Thriller and Romance have the same thing. Less emphasis on trilogies so much as Author as Brand Name though.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    edited April 2011

Edit: if it's not part of a genre or has another marketable hook, a book is less likely to be published. A crap book that publishers think could be the next Wheel of Time (or these days Twilight, more likely) has better chances of being printed.

Then you've never looked. Any section of the book store is full of shit books that people think are "good" because they've got X. Where X is "conspiracy theories", "cops", "psyco-killers", "burly highlanders", "woman in a small town coming to terms", etc, etc.

shryke on
    edited April 2011
    shryke wrote: »
    Then you've never looked. Any section of the book store is full of shit books that people think are "good" because they've got X. Where X is "conspiracy theories", "cops", "psyco-killers", "burly highlanders", "woman in a small town coming to terms", etc, etc.
    Well, to me those are also genre literature, and liked by too many indiscriminate fans because they belong to a specific genre... and they're less likely to come in epic tetralogies and the like. However, this is a side-conversation and probably not a very interesting one. When will the first part of HBO's adaptation be shown? And does anyone know whether (and where) it'll be shown in Europe in the near future?

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    it premieres in the U.S. on April 17th (a week from today)

in the UK it will air on April 18th on Sky Atlantic

I dunno about other part of Europe

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2011
    Well, to me those are also genre literature, and liked by too many indiscriminate fans because they belong to a specific genre... and they're less likely to come in epic tetralogies and the like. However, this is a side-conversation and probably not a very interesting one. When will the first part of HBO's adaptation be shown? And does anyone know whether (and where) it'll be shown in Europe in the near future?

Everything is genre.

shryke on
  • poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Everything is genre.

Yes. I wish more people realised that.

And the genre of 'supposedly non-genre middlebrow 'literary' fiction' is no more original, or lacking in shite books, than any other genre.

Just equate 'book where a poor farmer turns out to be have amazing powers and goes on quests to defeat the Dark Lord' with 'book where middle-class people worry about familial relationships and have trite angst.'

poshniallo on
    I figure I could take a bear.
    edited April 2011
    poshniallo wrote: »

Everything is genre.

Yes. I wish more people realised that.

And the genre of 'supposedly non-genre middlebrow 'literary' fiction' is no more original, or lacking in shite books, than any other genre.

Just equate 'book where a poor farmer turns out to be have amazing powers and goes on quests to defeat the Dark Lord' with 'book where middle-class people worry about familial relationships and have trite angst.'

China Mieville:
    I love the term 'mimetic literature', because it turns mainstream fiction into a genre and allows you to say things like, 'I don't read mimetic literature. It's vulgar and childish'

shryke on
  • setrajonassetrajonas Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    China Mieville:
    I love the term 'mimetic literature', because it turns mainstream fiction into a genre and allows you to say things like, 'I don't read mimetic literature. It's vulgar and childish'

I've never even heard the term mimetic literature before now, but that is an amazing quote.

setrajonas on
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    WHYYYYYY is this book such a dick?

ACoK:
    Bran escapes with his wolves and the awesome mud people! I'M SO EXCITE!!!!!! ADVENTURES AB.... what? They're dead already? FUUUUUUCK YOOOOUUUUUUU.

DemonStacey on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Why oh why can't the first episode leak like other shows, e.g. Dexter

joshofalltrades on
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    WHYYYYYY is this book such a dick?

ACoK:
    Bran escapes with his wolves and the awesome mud people! I'M SO EXCITE!!!!!! ADVENTURES AB.... what? They're dead already? FUUUUUUCK YOOOOUUUUUUU.

I felt exactly the same way on my first read. I was so excited about the adventures that I thought were about to come.

wonderpug on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I just signed a dark ritual with comcast to get HBO for a year, an unbreakable covenant forged with the sacrifice of an infant

Because of this fact if GoT shows up anywhere online before next sunday I'm totally watching it. Then I'm watching it again on Sunday and my mom brother his wife and their kids will be watching it with me and the nude scenes will be awkward as fuck (I got them all hyped about it but forgot about all the nudity when planning this)

override367 on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You might want to alert them to the nudity and deviant sexual activities and stuff

In book form, it's sort of shocking but easily glossed over

In front of a television with all the family surrounding you

Well

I challenge you to gloss over that, if it comes up unexpectedly

joshofalltrades on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Just tell them that since Tyrion is a dwarf he needs all those women to help him with.... things.

Tomanta on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You know how awkward it is to watch a sex scene with your family?
    Think how awkward it'll be when the people having sex in the scene are siblings.

KalTorak on
  • the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Just finished A Feast for Crows..
    ...ha! I did not know that GRRM actually wrote, at the end of that book, in Two Thousand and Five, that A Dance w/ Dragons would be out next year. I knew he had been promising it forever, but thought it was all on his blog and whatnot...didn't realize he actually put it in at the end of the book to placate those who were missing the other characters. Sheesh, no wonder everyone's been so riled up about this.

Should have just been smart like me and not read AFFC until now.

Other random thoughts:

Wow, did Cersei come crashing down hard...that went fast. And I really thought we'd come back to Arya before the end of the book...sadness. Brienne...generally accepted that she did manage to agree to Stoneheart's request before the noose fully tightened?

I was becoming very annoyed w/ the Dornish chapters...throughout the whole book...couldn't figure out what the big deal was, why are we following this plotline, especially when their little coup was broken up so quickly. But the very last part of the final chapters, when you learn about Doran's back-room dealings w/ the Targaryens...wow. He went instantly from boring wuss to possibly the best remaining scheming mastermind. Well, at least until Littlefinger made the match for his 'daughter'. I just love how these two made Cersei come off like an idiot child by the end of this book...

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Just finished A Feast for Crows..
    ...ha! I did not know that GRRM actually wrote, at the end of that book, in Two Thousand and Five, that A Dance w/ Dragons would be out next year. I knew he had been promising it forever, but thought it was all on his blog and whatnot...didn't realize he actually put it in at the end of the book to placate those who were missing the other characters. Sheesh, no wonder everyone's been so riled up about this.

Ha.

Do you know how I first heard about GRRM's work? An excerpt in the March 2003 Dragon magazine of his "Soon to be Released" work, A Feast for Crows. I read it and thought it was interesting. So I started reading Game figuring that I'd be up to the new book by the time it was released even with a slow reading pace....

A book that was published 2 years and 8 months later.

At least it put me in the right place as far as managed expectations go.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    edited April 2011
    Haven't listened to it yet, but Sepinwall and Feinberg talk about the show for 20 minutes at the end of their podcast this week.

Feinberg's read the first book and is working through the second, Sepinwall has not and will not until the series concludes.

enlightenedbum on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited April 2011
    KalTorak wrote: »
    You know how awkward it is to watch a sex scene with your family?
    Think how awkward it'll be when the people having sex in the scene are siblings.

HBO's Rome Season One Spoilers:
    Rome totally did it first, and it was crazy awkward

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So after getting super hyped about the series. I finally bought the first book to read it and I really cannot put words to describe how incredible it really is and I'm only a quarter the way though it.

I bought the larger edition with the TV show based cover and one thing I noticed was how fucking terrible the quality of the books printing is. there are a fair number of pagers where the margin cuts off the last letter or 2 of the side of a page. Or the font gets slightly squished on every couple pages for a line or 2.

Its weird how this is kind of like post high fantasy. There are mentions of magic and dragon but none of it really. Its very appealing to me. Also the north sounds alot like Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim looks and that makes my imagination soar with character ideas.

bloodyroarxx on
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Boo.

The final teaser video requires 5 novices to do.

Jragghen on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Haven't listened to it yet, but Sepinwall and Feinberg talk about the show for 20 minutes at the end of their podcast this week.

Feinberg's read the first book and is working through the second, Sepinwall has not and will not until the series concludes.

They both loved it, although I found it interesting that Feinberg mentions that there's a new scene that establishes a relationship between 2 characters that he didnt if it was even in the books and it makes me wonder if we will be getting explicit mention that

Renly and Loras are a thing

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'd almost guarantee that we will. Otherwise I'd think it would be hard to establish it to the viewing audience. Most people miss it in the book and I don't know that they'll be able to their later actions justice without establishing the he's more than a bodyguard.

Invisible on
This discussion has been closed.