As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Ace of Spades (Voxel Shooter)] A game that needs more mans

2»

• zanetheinsanezanetheinsane Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It's a volumetrix pixel, but the easiest way to think of it is a "3D pixel". Imagine if the entire 3D world of a game was made up of tiny blocks instead of polygons. The smaller and more voxels you have, the finer and more realistic detail you get. If the voxels are huge you get something instead that looks like Minecraft.

The idea behind voxel terrain in games is that if the terrain was made up of small enough voxels, you could dig and destroy it more realistically than you could with polygonal terrain.

Most of the links in this thread won't work, but the pictures should give you a good example of what you can do with voxels: http://www.ogre3d.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=27394&sid=b855a4cab55875fdff00531cff068a09

The Thermite3D engine is pretty cool to play around with as well: http://www.thermite3d.org/joomla/

Cool Video series on Voxels: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnboAnQjMKE&feature=related

zanetheinsane on
  • DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    [strike]Wasn't there a Wolfenstein 3D remake using Voxels once upon a time?

That shit rocked.[/strike]

Disregard that, I need to l2read

DietarySupplement on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Wasn't there a Wolfenstein 3D remake using Voxels once upon a time?

That shit rocked.

Yeah, Voxelstein. It's posted earlier on this very page.

Peewi on
  • zanetheinsanezanetheinsane Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Had some crazy fun with this but now that people have figured out to cheat and it has become quite rampant, I think I might be done with this :x

zanetheinsane on
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This guide might help newcomers, found it on /v/:
    1302567885187.jpg

Also is there anmy particular reason for the horizontal view bobbing? I think that's what made me most sick while playing, and I can't work out why it's there.

Suriko on
  • Gravity's rainbowGravity's rainbow Registered User new member
    edited April 2011
    This a really cool game, I like the shooter aspect but being able to create tunnels and bunkers to defend yourself really sets this apart.
    Just a few quick comments though

1. Make the jump last a little longer, right now it's rather annoying to jump up a one block incline
    2. Fix looking down, it could make some people motion sick

Gravity's rainbow on
    edited April 2011
    Man, this thread really isn't doing well. I played some more games of this, which I did even though I can only really play for a short time, and never near meals, because this game makes me motion sick. This should be seen as a testament to how good this game is. Making trenches, making forts, tunneling, counter-tunneling, counter-counter-tunneling, etc, all feels awesome, and it's a damned shame more games don't use this. The execution is far from perfect (network code is very unreliable, aforementioned motion sickness, everything going wavy once you look up or downm, strange camera), but the gameplay works well enough to excuse them.

Some mods are here, which make the tools and grenades look a little better. Poke around that site and you'll find a few weapon skins too.

Suriko on
  • anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I was interested at first, but hearing so many people say it's making them sick has made me lose interest.

anoffday on
    Steam: offday
  • LokiamisLokiamis Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Sway was reduced in a patch just remember the number 1 rule

RYKNv.jpg

Lokiamis on
    edited April 2011
    anoffday wrote: »
    I was interested at first, but hearing so many people say it's making them sick has made me lose interest.

I'd recommend trying it. It's only small, and you'll know quickly if you're one of those that get motion sick.

Suriko on
  • Turin TurambarTurin Turambar Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    BUMP. They added an option to invert the mouse, so now i can play the game!

Turin Turambar on
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I just shot TotalBiscuit :3

fadingathedges on
  • Meta T. DustMeta T. Dust Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Its been awhile but its time to bring this monster back, ACE OF SPADES LETS DO THIS.

Now complete with the ability to make and save maps, for instance in the OP vid you can see them showcasing the new SMG weapon on the map Harbor which is a city throughout an entire map.

Meta T. Dust on
    motherfuckingwar.png
  • VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    server?

VALVEjunkie on
  • DaltonCarlDaltonCarl Registered User regular
    edited July 2014
    ---

DaltonCarl on
  • teg5511teg5511 Registered User regular
    YES. THIS GAME.

We now have shotguns, custom maps (cityfights!) and the ability to look at the floor without getting lost in time and space.

servers are on main site, click one and go.

playitnowplayitnowplayitnow.