As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Old [Entertainment] Thread is Old. Everyone GTFO!

• cr0wcr0w Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    Well, apparently it's legit. WWE.com press release:
    Less than a week after his successful title defense against Alberto Del Rio at WrestleMania XXVII, World Heavyweight Champion Edge has been forced to retire from in-ring competition due to injury. The unexpected news brings to an end a storied WWE career spanning 13 years and consisting of 11 World Title reigns.

The Rated-R Superstar had been suffering numbness and uncontrollable trembling in his arms and hands. This is not the first time Edge has experienced these symptoms of nueropraxia. An MRI in Atlanta last Monday was sent to Dr. Joseph Maroon, a renowned neurosurgeon and professor of neurosurgery at The Pittsburgh School of Medicine. After careful examination of the MRI, it was determined that Edge would never be cleared to compete again, and thus, he is forced to retire.

In 2003, Edge underwent a two level spinal fusion of the discs between his C5, C6 and C7 vertebrae. After being cleared to compete, The Rated-R Superstar returned to the ring, resulting in stenosis of the spine, or a narrowing of the spinal column, above and below the fused discs. This narrowing resulted in less and less of the vital fluid needed to protect the spinal cord. Medical professionals cannot clear Edge to compete ever again in WWE since doing so could result in paralysis or even death.

cr0w on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Just saw the Edge announcement as I'm catching up on my DVR. Sad times.

Kyougu on
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Shadowen wrote: »
    </3

wow, really? that's just.... is it bad that i want to see him smash the computer one more time?

Not at all!

That just means you have a sense of humor.

'I am being forced to retire due to injuries sustained over my career. But before I go, one last thing must be done' *proceeds to decimate the computer into oblivion to the cheers of thousands*

perfect.

lonelyahava on
  • KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm sort of surprised they didn't do a "Do Not Try This At Home" thing tonight. Also, is it just me or do they really not play those much at all anymore?

KurnDerak on
  • AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dr. Maroon is a real, and is generally highly regarded. I can't imagine he'd be ok with lending his name to a wrestling angle.

Well shit.

Edge handled that speech really well then.

Assuran on
    edited April 2011
    When did R-Truth start using that as a finisher? I thought he used an axe kick.

KurnDerak on
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The R rated Superstar died for your PG entertainment.

Cade on
    edited April 2011
    Cade wrote: »

I thought that role was already filled by Cena Christ.

KurnDerak on
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Shadowen wrote: »
    </3

wow, really? that's just.... is it bad that i want to see him smash the computer one more time?

Not at all!

That just means you have a sense of humor.

'I am being forced to retire due to injuries sustained over my career. But before I go, one last thing must be done' *proceeds to decimate the computer into oblivion to the cheers of thousands*

perfect.

Decimates the computer?

Goose! on
    edited April 2011
    I still love how there is basically an octave difference between the "Let's go Cena" and "Cena sucks" chants.

Edit: What is with Cena now using all of these wrestling moves all of a sudden? This match feels, weird.

KurnDerak on
  • AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    PWInsider reporting that they were told by a company source that the retirement is legit and not an angle or storyline.

Assuran on
    edited April 2011
    This match is just weird. Scoop slam, pin attempt, suplex, pin attempt, top rope leg drop, pin attempt. Are they trying to say that Cena doesn't expect much from R-Truth?

KurnDerak on
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    They're letting Cena carry a match, which is cool to me.

Goose! on
    edited April 2011
    Where did Cena go? I can't see him.

KurnDerak on
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    yeah, the RAW GM computer.

because that was a highly enjoyable moment.

I know it clashes with the seriousness of the situation, but still can't blame a girl for wanting a bit of careless destruction.

now, the question is, will edge retire from the company completely, or is he just retiring from the ring and active wrestling? Will he be backstage still? Like so many others?

lonelyahava on
    edited April 2011
    Even though Miz struck Cena first?

Goose! on
    edited April 2011
    Huh, R-Truth got put into a WWE title match. He's really going up in the business as filler.

KurnDerak on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    well I guess that's flat out confirmation that JoMo really is in the doghouse

no way Truth gets that spot otherwise

although the real reason he's in the match is so he can get pinned by Miz instead of Cena

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    What a sad RAW.

Edge/Booker for Smackdown commentary.

JustinSane07 on
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I like how the Revenge Tour promos have been spoiling the main event for Extreme Rules the whole time.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • SarcasmoBlasterSarcasmoBlaster Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Wtf. There are no words. They should've sent an anti-poet.

SarcasmoBlaster on
    edited April 2011
    korodullin wrote: »
    I like how the Revenge Tour promos have been spoiling the main event for Extreme Rules the whole time.

WWE could have official press released that main event and I still wouldn't believe it.

Goose! on
  • PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You lame ass who are crying/wanting to cry, over the death of an indy wrestler need to get a life.

Posted By: John (Guest) on April 11, 2011 at 06:31 PM

Randle some of your readers are major douchebags.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    KurnDerak wrote: »

punkwoty_47550.jpg

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
    edited April 2011
    On his "Shake, Rattle, and Roll" podcast, formerWWE star The Honky Tonk Man stated that Dixie Carter has resigned from TNA for now to gain further experience and knowledge of the wrestling business.

According to HTM, Dixie's mother, Janice Carter, has allegedly taken over day-to-day operations.

It should be noted that HTM has made claims in the past that weren't true.

Goose! on
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Beautiful thread title.

Shadowen on
    edited April 2011
    *Looks at the thread title* Cool.

More on the Dixie Carter news that says she's gone:
    Since Janice Carter took over, she said she wanted only younger people on-screen in TNA (apparently Dixie was forced to ask Kevin Nash to dye his hair) and told Dixie to tell Flair not to take his shirt off on tv, because she thought it looked gross, which is why Flair doesn't do that anymore. She's also told Bischoff to dye his hair cause he looks old. Janice is the one making a lot of changes now. So, Dixie has basically lost control and mommy's in control. Bob Carter has nothing to do with it anymore.

Cade on
    edited April 2011

Since Janice Carter took over, she said she wanted only younger people on-screen in TNA (apparently Dixie was forced to ask Kevin Nash to dye his hair) and told Dixie to tell Flair not to take his shirt off on tv, because she thought it looked gross, which is why Flair doesn't do that anymore. She's also told Bischoff to dye his hair cause he looks old. Janice is the one making a lot of changes now. So, Dixie has basically lost control and mommy's in control. Bob Carter has nothing to do with it anymore.

So, basically did we just go from "It's TNA: Total Non-stopped Aged Wrestling" to "We're TNA: Totally Not Aged Wrestling"? So instead of just old guys it's old guys with their hair dyed to look young? Is the entire Dixie family drinking out of the same crazy cup?

KurnDerak on
    edited April 2011

punkwoty_47550.jpg

The Straight Edge Savior, he sacraficed his minions for your sins.

KurnDerak on
    edited April 2011

So, basically did we just go from "It's TNA: Total Non-stopped Aged Wrestling" to "We're TNA: Totally Not Aged Wrestling"? So instead of just old guys it's old guys with their hair dyed to look young? Is the entire Dixie family drinking out of the same crazy cup?

You're also deliberately ignoring the part where it says she wants younger people on, so that could mean pushing young talent.

Goose! on
  • Amikron DevaliaAmikron Devalia I didn't ask for this title. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    That is also all bullshit, and HTM is a fucking nutter. Even if Janice did take over, the chances of HTM actually knowing that are about as good as him getting a WHC shot on this friday's ep of Smackdown.

Amikron Devalia on
  • 411Randle411Randle Librarian Oook.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You lame ass who are crying/wanting to cry, over the death of an indy wrestler need to get a life.

Posted By: John (Guest) on April 11, 2011 at 06:31 PM

Randle some of your readers are major douchebags.

You don't have to tell me, I've had a troll on my ass all day telling me that WWE has never failed at non-wrestling ventures, then, when I provided him with examples, said that he wanted a definition of "non-wrestling ventures", not examples. Then when I didn't write back within twenty minutes because I had left for the day and also because he's a troll, he claimed victory.

That said, you should see the comments that don't make it through the filter. Those ones are apparently so vile that the editors won't even let other staff members see 'em.

And for more productive commentary, Edge has been one of my favourite wrestlers ever since his WWF debut. I never thought I'd see him go out like this, but like everyone with spinal fusion surgery, he was living on borrowed time from then on. At least he got to give a goodbye speech and walk out under his own power. Now to dig out my Rated R Superstar jersey for poker tomorrow night.

411Randle on
    1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
  • Lord Of The PantsLord Of The Pants Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Caswynben wrote: »
    If he was going to retire in a week, why not put Del Rio over him at Wrestlemania?

I imagine they wanted to let him retire as champion given all he's done for the company. It isn't the best booking decision, but it was probably the right thing to do for him considering (if this is legit) he nearly crippled himself for the company.

If I were the WWE, I would have had Edge nominate Christian for the title shot and Christian would have said "I'm doing it for Edge, my best friend." Edge will be in his corner cheering him on for the match hoping he will finally win the title.

And then Del Rio would break his arm in the match because he's Alberto Del Rio, bitch!

That'd be great way to get heat on Alberto, and set up a feud with a pay off (Alberto ducking Christian before finally getting beat in a cage match) after about six months.

Of course, because it's WWE, Alberto either won't win the title, or the will go through the program in a week. :?

Lord Of The Pants on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2011
    Goose! wrote: »

You're also deliberately ignoring the part where it says she wants younger people on, so that could mean pushing young talent.

See, under other companies I would see those as two different ideas. A) We want younger talent, then B) We want our older talent to stop showing off their man boobs and look younger.

In TNA I see it being A) We want younger talent... Hey, older talent, look younger! Oh ya, we're smart.

I expect this whole thing is not very likely either way.

KurnDerak on
  • JoeslopJoeslop Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    edited April 2011
    Even better, Edges tribute to....Edge!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9Wam3ORRUY

Also Hogans thoughts on the matter:
    @jays712 if any of the guys like me,Flair,Hardy,Andre,AA,Blanchard,orndoff,Henning would have listened to doctors we would have quit15yrsago

@jays712 but I don't know Edges working environment because they are a media company not a wrestling company. HH wrestlers work hurt!

What about Foley! I bet EDGE still wants to keep wrestling,he's one of the boys big time!!! HH

Cade on
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yes, Hogan, and maybe if some of you had listened to your doctors you wouldn't be broken-down wrecks.

"Wrestlers work hurt!" FUCK YOU

LockedOnTarget on
    edited April 2011
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who's immediate reaction to those tweets was 'oh fuck off hogan'.

Seriously. He can't wrestle, Flair is frankly embarrassing, Henning is dead, so is Andre (not wrestlings' fault but still), Arn is backstage working not wrestling and hasn't been for years, etc etc

seriously at this point, 'Fuck off Terry' is probably the nicest thing I can think of

edit::oh and the lovely things that I saw on soem facebook friend's pages along these lines "wrestlers work hurt", etc. Somebody made a comment about how Edge could do even worse damage and end up like Mohammed Ali. Another person (not a friend of mine) said that Ali's injury was what made him so great.

I have a strong desire to go punchabitch a few times in the head....

lonelyahava on
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    What about Foley? Oh, you mean the guy that has pretty much pissed away his credibility with lame return after lame return, and who's body is a complete mess? That is not the model the new generation should be following.

LockedOnTarget on
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Classy, Hulk. You just called all the people who quit the business for their own health pussies.

Anyway. Edge was my favorite wrestler when I got back into wrestling in the Attitude era. He was basically just the coolest guy on the roster - young, cool music, cool look, cool finisher, but not a main eventer. So it was cool to pick him as your favorite. I bought his book and everything. It was hard to stay a fan during the whole Lita/Edge/Matt thing, but no one came out of that looking like a class act anyway.

Then I got disinterested before the Cena era, and when I come back, Edge is a main eventer. I never really got used to him in that position, it would be weird to see him have programs with HHH or Stone Cold or The Rock. So it's even weirder that he's retiring now, and with a buttload of championships on his record. He still feels like an up & comer, the future of the business, that has accidentally accumulated all these championship reigns under him. It's like he has the record of a legend, but maybe not the resume of classics or game changing moments (again, I missed his rise to main event status, so that could be it.)

Still, good for him. I hope he recovers fully to enjoy his retirement in good health.

Lux on