As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Paper? That's like a baby's toy! [eReaders]

• Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I buy books on the computer and download them on 3G. 3G purchasing comes up mainly when I'm traveling without my laptop.

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Possibly, it's the nature of having a 650, I bought a shit load of books and dumped them on, and I just drop new ones on as I go. It's never an issue of needing to put the next one on as I finish, because it's already there.

Interesting that's such a popular feature though.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    i have a wi-fi only nook and i've never been in a position where wi-fi wasn't enough to get what i wanted....i too usually have more than enough books on there, especially if i know i won't be near wi-fi

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    JollusJollus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The wifi nature of my Kindle is making me really annoyed with the need to sync my iPod all the time.

Jollus on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've used the 3G whispernet option for purchasing the 4-5 ebooks I've purchased, then another half a dozen or so that I got for free from Amazon. It isn't anything that I couldn't have done by waiting till I got home, although I did download about a third of those on the train or overseas, which was kind of neat.

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I love love LOVE being able to buy books on 3G.

I can't even tell you how many times I have finished a book sooner than I thought at work and just turned on 3G and grabbed a new one to finish my shift.

Super convenient.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I love being able to read about you guys buying books over 3G over 3G.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The only complaint I have is that I tend to have my wifi always off to conserve my battery life. This means that my books don't sync to the kindle app on my phone. It isn't a huge deal because I really only use the kindle app if I'm ignore lecture in class (easier to hide the phone in my notes), but if you plan on switching devices a lot the 3g model may be the way to go for that reason.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    ExpiredHeroExpiredHero Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Recieved a Kindle WiFi last week as a present (got to love Amazon Wishlists) and am loving it so far, however I have one very very minor problem. I go completly OCD about having stuff "organised" in the "right way" (which is completly subjective I know), and I just can't get a feel for how to use collections.

How do you guys use collections (if at all)? Do you use it to split into genre, or style, or some other such separator?

I have been using a "Current" collection for what I am reading now, and the splitting the rest of my collection into genres (with the dictionaries and "My Clippings" sitting in the root)

Sorry if this has been discussed at length before, I failed at finding anything using Google to search the forums.

ExpiredHero on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    I just go by author. Anything else is just unwieldy.

And if you want to make it super easy for a lot of books, go find a program called Kindelabra.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've got a Genre thing going currently. I, too, am super-anal about having stuff on the home screen (It's super dumb, I know).

I currently have the following "sections":

"Unread," "Science Fiction," "Fantasy," "Reference (honestly the only things here are the dictionaries)," "Archived Items (default)," and "Paranormal."

Pirusu on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I go for genre, but then I don't have a lot of books as yet.

I am pretty impressed by the battery life so far, I've charged the unit twice since purchase (once at purchase), once five weeks ago. I leave 3G/wireless turned off 99% of the time and don't use it every day, but I do use it about 5 times a week, so it isn't like it sits on the shelf. The bar is currently about 50% full still too

Kalkino on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I organize by series because that's how I read. I also have a collection just for samples.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I used to always have to remember to turn off wireless before sleeping the kindle, and then remember to turn it on when I am actually reading. Now I just turn the kindle all the way off instead of sleeping it.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I don't organize anything, I just throw shit on there and read it whenever I'm done with my current book.

Also, I have a job where I can read 4-7 hours a day, nearly every day, and I only charge my Kindle like once a month maybe? It's pretty fucking awesome how very little I have to charge it.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If I was to get an American Kindle and use it in the UK (permanently) are there any problems or tradeoffs I will see over just getting a UK Kindle. I've read things like books being more expensive to cover the roaming data charge but everything is very vague on this.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Icemopper wrote: »
    Since the latest Kindle update, have there been any good screensaver mods that actually work?
    3.1 right?
    Huh. The mod I installed just before the update never stopped working.
    Same here. I put it on about a week before the new update, and I'd heard it would break it, but it worked fine after the update. I didn't have to do anything.

Ah, my mistake! I heard it broke some users's screensavers, so I didn't even try. I'll make a fair attempt tomorrow. Apologies!

Icemopper on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    If I was to get an American Kindle and use it in the UK (permanently) are there any problems or tradeoffs I will see over just getting a UK Kindle. I've read things like books being more expensive to cover the roaming data charge but everything is very vague on this.

Not sure about roaming or long term viability, but the UK Kindle book range is quite a bit less than the US so far as I can tell

Kalkino on
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I was really close to buying a Nook yesterday, but I talked myself out of it because I'm not really all that up into the eReader loop.

I know that there was a pretty big price cut recently on eReader, but IMO they're still $50 too much. Is there anything in the future that I should be looking forwards to?

Casually Hardcore on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I was really close to buying a Nook yesterday, but I talked myself out of it because I'm not really all that up into the eReader loop.

I know that there was a pretty big price cut recently on eReader, but IMO they're still $50 too much. Is there anything in the future that I should be looking forwards to?

Nothing announced, but they've been sitting at $140-150 and $190-200 for a while now, so we'll probably see another price drop either this summer, or in the fall leading up to the next holiday season.

The Nook has also been out for a while without a significant change in it's hardware, and the design is getting a little long in the tooth. So I'd expect to see a Nook 2.0 sometime this year too.

The stock on Sony readers seems to be drying up everywhere, so I have a suspicion they're gearing up for something big, perhaps relaunching their readers with new designs to compete with the Nook and Kindle which have so far been trouncing their readers. This is just pure speculation on my part though, based entirely on the stock availability.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Any good cheaper covers/ holders for the nook wifi? My wife's is starting to get beat up a bit.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm sure this has been discussed but search is broken and I don't want to go through the whole thread.

I'm buying a new Kindle and I need a case for it, what should I get? I want something that's black, preferably leather(ish), I'd like a flip cover but a slipcase would be ok. The official lighted case is a bit expensive, something around $30 would be better.

elevature on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Huh. Apparently Library Overdrive ebooks have been updated and the whole process of checkout and download can now be done from the app in iPhones and iPads. This is an order of magnitude improvement over the previous method of getting library books onto an iOS device.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

I don't know anything about the data rates, but you are able to change what county your Kindle is registered to in the Kindle account settings through your Amazon account. It's possible that changing the country your Kindle is registered to allows it access the 3G service that Amazon has a contract with in that country.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    JHunzJHunz Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    elevature wrote: »
    I'm sure this has been discussed but search is broken and I don't want to go through the whole thread.

I'm buying a new Kindle and I need a case for it, what should I get? I want something that's black, preferably leather(ish), I'd like a flip cover but a slipcase would be ok. The official lighted case is a bit expensive, something around $30 would be better.

You could go with the Amazon non-lighted case instead, I think it's $20 cheaper. And I believe they've fixed the problems with the hooks, though I can't vouch for that myself.

JHunz on
    bunny.gif Gamertag: JHunz. R.I.P. Mygamercard.net bunny.gif
  • Options
    RainbulimicRainbulimic Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I don't actually think they're selling the non-lighted one at the moment. In the uk it's listed as out of stock or something.
    Guess they decided to stop selling something they know causes problems.

I found a black leather one on amazon that had a sort of magnetic clasp for my Mum's Kindle but unfortunately still waiting to get it so can't say if it's decent just yet.

Rainbulimic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Yeah I can't find the non-lighted one either. The one I'm looking at flips open at the top, so it's like a reporter's pad. I'm not sure how I feel about that, but it's cheap and has good reviews.

elevature on
  • Options
    nusunusu Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    UEAKCrash wrote: »
    Any good cheaper covers/ holders for the nook wifi? My wife's is starting to get beat up a bit.

I don't know what you consider cheaper, but the Industriell cover is pretty nice and is $30. I have this one and know of 2 other people who use it as well. It uses clips to hold the Nook in the cover which looks better than the straps most cases use. It's a pretty basic cover, but protects well.

http://gifts.barnesandnoble.com/Industriell-Cover/e/9781615513352/?cds2Pid=35723

nusu on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I'm using the M-edge. It's a bit more than you stated but I can verify it is quality. Also, if you decide you want a light later the company makes a light that will fit into the case.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Unfortunatly my OCD has got the better of me again with my kindle - this time with book naming.

I purchased a set of books directly from Amazon all from the same series, but the titles is formatted differently one of them (books one and three are "Title: Series: Book #", book two is just "Title")

Is it possible (and safe) to rename books purchased from the Amazon store without breaking anything? I have seen a few guides for mobi2mobi but I have no idea if that is safe to use, and when I did try loading the books into it on the off chance it just through out errors saying it coudn't fully load the book.

ExpiredHero on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Yes, it is completely possible and safe. It was bugging the shot out of me too, so I used Calibre to name my collection, and while I was at it, fix authors so they were alphabetized by last name and no longer had years next to their names.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Fantastic! Thanks Bionic!

Calibre took a little bit of playing around with so that I didn't end up with two copies of the books on the Kindle, but now that I have figured out the program I am sorted! Just needed to make sure that Books were not in collections before I edited them, otherwise I ended up with a copy in the collection and in the root.

ExpiredHero on
  • Options
    badpoetbadpoet Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So, my Nook has developed a small black spot in the upper right corner -- doesn't matter if the screen is on or off. I bought it last year (I'm thinking mid-year) and I think I ditched the box (probably with the receipt in it). Planning on calling to see if I can figure it out, but in the meantime, does anyone have any experience with shipping back a broken Nook or anyone know of a fix for the spot?

badpoet on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Well this is interesting.
    SAN FRANCISCO – Amazon.com Inc. is dropping the price on its Kindle e-reader, but the change comes with a trade-off: On-screen ads.

The online retailer was set to announce Tuesday that the new Kindle with Special Offers will cost $114 — $25 less than the currently lowest-priced Kindle — and include advertisements on the bottom of the device's home page and on its screen savers. Seattle-based Amazon will start shipping the newest Kindle on May 3, and it will also be sold in Target and Best Buy stores on that date.

Amazon has consistently lowered the price of the Kindle since it released the first version of the device at $399 in 2007, though this is the first time it is doing so while including ads on the e-reader.

Kindle director Jay Marine said in an interview Tuesday that the release of a cheaper, ad-studded Kindle is Amazon's way of getting the device into the hands of more people. But it also shows Amazon is getting more aggressive in its efforts to lure consumers tempted by competing e-readers and bombarded by ads for Apple Inc.'s latest iPad and a growing number of competing tablet computers.

Some potential buyers may be turned off by the idea of having ads on an e-reader, but Marine thinks that serving up a number of money-saving offers will be appealing.

"We think customers are going to love it," he said.

The advertisers sponsoring screen savers at launch will be General Motors Co.'s Buick car brand, Procter & Gamble Co.'s Olay cosmetics brand and payments processor Visa Inc. JPMorgan Chase & Co. will advertise the Amazon.com Reward Visa Card.

And other than the addition of ads, the latest Kindle is identical to the current one that uses Wi-Fi to wirelessly download books (a more expensive model uses 3G for wireless content delivery). It has a grayscale "electronic ink" screen that measures 6 inches at the diagonal, a battery that lasts for three weeks with Wi-Fi on, and enough space to store 3,500 books.

In a demo of the device, a screen saver showed a deal where customers would pay $10 for a $20 gift card to Amazon. If a user is interested in that deal, they can click to have details of the offer e-mailed to them. A much smaller ad shown across the bottom of the Kindle's home screen — the screen that shows you the content stored on the e-reader — was less obtrusive, but still clearly an advertisement. The ads will change frequently, Marine said, and there will not be any ads in Kindle books.

"It was very important that we didn't interfere with the reading experience," he said.

Users will be able to log on to their Kindle account on Amazon.com and adjust preferences about the types of screen savers they'd like to see.

Amazon has never revealed how many Kindles it has sold.

TL;DR
    Amazon will be selling a version of their wifi only Kindle at $114 (a $25 discount), and in exchange, your home screen and screen saver will display ads. The books themselves will remain untouched, so this seems like it will be fairly unobtrusive.

I can't help but wonder what effect the screen saver hack would have on this, and what happens when a person doesn't use wifi to download their books, but instead connects via their computer.

I don't think the $25 discount is enough to justify an ad driven device. If they had dropped it to $99 though, I think this would have been a fantastic deal.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011

TL;DR
    Amazon will be selling a version of their wifi only Kindle at $114 (a $25 discount), and in exchange, your home screen and screen saver will display ads. The books themselves will remain untouched, so this seems like it will be fairly unobtrusive.

I can't help but wonder what effect the screen saver hack would have on this, and what happens when a person doesn't use wifi to download their books, but instead connects via their computer.

I don't think the $25 discount is enough to justify an ad driven device. If they had dropped it to $99 though, I think this would have been a fantastic deal.

I read about this today and then bought a regular kindle. I'd much rather pay the extra $25 and have no ads.

elevature on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Oh yeah, I'll never purchase this device, but it will be interesting to see how it affects the ereader landscape.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Well I'm basically sold, or at least if I ever finally pull the trigger on a Kindle, I'm getting Mr. Ad Kindle, because why the fuck not? Plus, a $10 Amazon gift certificate for $20 is a good deal :p

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I just wonder what kind of ads.

I mean, some of the stuff I get in emails and such from Amazon ends up being stuff I am actually interested in and did not know was available. If they are targeted ads like their emails, I would be down for the discount.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    MyDcmbr wrote: »
    I just wonder what kind of ads.

I mean, some of the stuff I get in emails and such from Amazon ends up being stuff I am actually interested in and did not know was available. If they are targeted ads like their emails, I would be down for the discount.

And if they're not targeted, I would be down for the discount. When I'm reading there won't be any ads, and I can't imagine what I'd be using the Kindle for 99% of the time if it isn't reading.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hey guys, I've been hearing ereaders are doing more and more web integration and some are getting browsers apparently?

What the shit?

Lucky Cynic on