As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

SC2: Dreamhack and NASL tomorrow! You will never get any work done!

• Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    mEEksa wrote: »
    Khavall wrote: »
    [GSL] May ro32 schedule + maps

man i hope thewind smashes mc that would be hilarious

Will simply not happen. However, MC V Rainbow if that happens in ro16 will be pretty excellent and MC might lose that.

but TheWind is going to lose craaaazy hard to MC.

Nah, Rainbow doesn't stand a chance. He hasn't been a top tier player since season one, I'm kind of surprised he is still in Code S.

Well. This is how out of touch I am. After watching MC in the last GSL final though I certainly know that he's not going to lose to TheWind.

Khavall on
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    shwaip wrote: »
    1) You don't really "work" on apm. It comes through realizing all the things you need to do, and slowly starting to do more.

Well, you can work on mechanics, which help your apm.
    I see bronzies not know what a hotkey is and it makes baby raynor cry.
    or queueing actions
    or mineral walking past an enemy's wall

etc. etc.

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    Any fucking chance I can take to get blink stalkers I can, coolest unit ever.

Unfortunately any chance I get to use blink stalkers I also lose the game.

Does everyone hotkey upgrade stuctures? I don't yet and I don't even know the hotkeys for the upgrades.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I used to queue like a motherfucker. I knew the basic ideas, like always building workers and units... except I would have like, 5 SCVs queued at 8 food and couldn't figure out how the pros magically build their barracks so damn fast on 12, when I was still just queueing up SCVs

Man when I got that that was awesome.

Khavall on
  • Options
    peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    i have my engi bays and armourys on 6, e a, a v, s p, for upgrades, if you don't know these things you aren't trying hard enough!

peacekeeper on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    apparently SEA has another random patch with like 3 bug fixes so i hope you guys didn't log out on sea last night

peacekeeper on
  • Options
    shwaipshwaip Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If you don't know the hotkey for the upgrades, you can either turn on the overlay that puts the letter in the corner of the upgrade icon or you can hover over it and then figure out what it is. Just make sure you use the hotkey, and don't click the button. I use grid, so I don't really need to know what the hotkey is, just where the upgrade is.

shwaip on
  • Options
    Dropping LoadsDropping Loads Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    This is why I don't post my replays.

My mistakes are simple enough I see them myself :P.

:^:

God do I suck.

Dropping Loads on
    Sceptre: Penny Arcade, where you get starcraft AND marriage advice.
    3clipse: The key to any successful marriage is a good mid-game transition.
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, whenever I play I watch my replay and I'm just like "oh god. oh god I'm so bad" the whole time.

Which I guess is better than not recognizing my own mistakes, but still. This summer I have 10 weeks of completely free time, which I am going to fill with running, drumming, and starcraft.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    MikeMan wrote: »
    I am feeling very overwhelmed when a game gets longer than about 10 minutes.
    Force your games to go over 10 minutes. Play safely and focus on macro, unit production, teching/scouting when appropriate and taking bases at decent timings. This really helps for getting used to being past mid-game, drown yourself in it.
    3clipse wrote: »
    Which I guess is better than not recognizing my own mistakes, but still. This summer I have 10 weeks of completely free time, which I am going to fill with running, drumming, and starcraft.
    Oh god I can't stop myself from conjuring up some hidious one-man-band contraption that has you drumming while running while playing starcraft, a kazoo dangling inches in front of your mouth, desperately attempting to control your mouse as the outfit flops to and fro.

JAEF on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    After playing protoss for a while they are a bit harder to macro later on because of the way gateways work, I wish there was a way to just build units out of the gateway without having to select a spot on the ground. But yeah, other than that I really just need to focus on remembering to build them.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    JAEF wrote: »
    MikeMan wrote: »
    I am feeling very overwhelmed when a game gets longer than about 10 minutes.
    Force your games to go over 10 minutes. Play safely and focus on macro, unit production, teching/scouting when appropriate and taking bases at decent timings. This really helps for getting used to being past mid-game, drown yourself in it.
    3clipse wrote: »
    Oh god I can't stop myself from conjuring up some hidious one-man-band contraption that has you drumming while running while playing starcraft, a kazoo dangling inches in front of your mouth, desperately attempting to control your mouse as the outfit flops to and fro.

I am going to try as hard as I can to make this happen :D

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    AldarezAldarez Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    shwaip wrote: »
    I use grid, so I don't really need to know what the hotkey is, just where the upgrade is.

I haven't heard of this before. Have you just done custom keybindings for everything to set this up or is it one of the pre-made profiles?

Aldarez on
    2188939-1.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Grid is a premade profile. The command box is a 5x3 grid, so your hotkey setup becomes:

qwert
    asdfg
    zxcvb

and the letters are mapped positionally. I really, really, really like grid, mostly because it centers where my hand can sit on the keyboard.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I like the idea of grid, I should probably switch...but I don't want to relearn. Why is grid not the default? I guess because people would haven been too blown away from BW.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I have no intention of using grid, mostly because if I was going to make any drastic changes to my hotkey setup it'd be learning to use the location hotkeys now that a have a keyboard with fullsize function keys instead of the half height row that I had before.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I don't know that grid is any better than default or custom hotkeys. I just like it because in other games I tend to do a similar thing - map all of my hotkeys into one section of my keyboard so that my hand doesn't have to leave it.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    AldarezAldarez Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It doesn't sound like a bad idea, although I do find the standard hotkeys pretty easy to remember seeing as they're often the start of the word or close to it. I imagine you would have much the same sort of learning curve while taking note of the position of every button. The idea of having everything in close proximity sounds good though, things like "I" for immortal are annoying.

Aldarez on
    2188939-1.png
  • Options
    TannerMSTannerMS "I'm confidence cause I'm zerg!" Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Fizban140 wrote: »

Does everyone hotkey upgrade stuctures? I don't yet and I don't even know the hotkeys for the upgrades.

Lots of guides and pros recommend throwing your forges on 0 or something but I've never bothered. If you can manage producing probes and pylons, I'm sure you can manage clicking your forge every 2 minutes. Blink Stalkers are going to be unstoppable as people get better at multitasking. Scariest thing in the world.

I just fought a guy who went 1 base +1 DT Chargelot, don't try it. However, what if he had gone DTs into 2 base +weapons charge lots with Archon support? The Archons have 1 range and can shoot over zealots right? Seems like it'd be hard to scout and very scary.

I've heard Day[9] and other pros mention in passing that grid is bad but does anyone know why? It seems like having everything focused would make you more efficient and less likely to make typos.

TannerMS on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The advantage of throwing forges on a random hotkey is you can double click it to zoom to them for chrono'ing.

JAEF on
  • Options
    SaarutoSaaruto Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I usually put my forge on 7 now, just to quickly glance at upgrades and see if they need chronoboosting. Hotkeying forges is an excellent idea, especially when you go for a double forge build or something like that.

Saaruto on
    If you can chill, chill.
    Steam ID
  • Options
    exoplasmexoplasm Gainfully Employed Near Blizzard HQRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    One problem with grid is that making banelings and blowing them up is the same hotkey.

Ponder that for a moment.

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
    SC2 NA: exoplasm.519 | PA SC2 Mumble Server | My Website | My Stream
  • Options
    stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    TannerMS wrote: »

Lots of guides and pros recommend throwing your forges on 0 or something but I've never bothered. If you can manage producing probes and pylons, I'm sure you can manage clicking your forge every 2 minutes. Blink Stalkers are going to be unstoppable as people get better at multitasking. Scariest thing in the world.

I just fought a guy who went 1 base +1 DT Chargelot, don't try it. However, what if he had gone DTs into 2 base +weapons charge lots with Archon support? The Archons have 1 range and can shoot over zealots right? Seems like it'd be hard to scout and very scary.

I've heard Day[9] and other pros mention in passing that grid is bad but does anyone know why? It seems like having everything focused would make you more efficient and less likely to make typos.

The problem with grid that everyone sees is that all your on use are generally in the bottom right of the grid, zxc which are kind of shit to press. Also attack stop and hold get shuffled around to less ergonomic positions.

stimtokolos on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Alright so the Day9 parody of Friday is good, but I think this is one of the best SC2 parody songs yet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZWpcGfQJAg

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I use grid

worst thing that happens is I've stimmed 30 marines for no reason when I meant to siege tanks

but it's pretty rare

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I hear grid remaps F10+N to A.

JAEF on
  • Options
    TannerMSTannerMS "I'm confidence cause I'm zerg!" Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Funday monday is finally up on Blip and Day9 opens with "I have to apologize in advance, today will be a two hour special". <3<3<3<3<3<3

TannerMS on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    gsl is back way sooner than I thought

shit's about to get ridiculous...

edit - watching the daily now :D I wonder if any of the games drewbie streamed will make it

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    redraptorredraptor Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So I guess you all missed it or are too classy to mention it, but this is happening right now

http://www.reddit.com/r/starcraft/comments/gnw8c/my_girlfriend_wants_to_start_a_strip_sc2_stream/

edit: HA, nevermind TOS violation and channel closed by justin.tv.

I feel like someone who got to see the moon landing live.

edit2: I only saw it from Destiny mentioning it, don't judge me.

redraptor on
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    redraptor wrote: »
    So I guess you all missed it or are too classy to mention it, but this is happening right now

http://www.reddit.com/r/starcraft/comments/gnw8c/my_girlfriend_wants_to_start_a_strip_sc2_stream/

Oh goodness, that made me facepalm so much.

Anzekay on
  • Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I like the idea of grid, I should probably switch...but I don't want to relearn. Why is grid not the default? I guess because people would haven been too blown away from BW.

I started using grid but after losing games by building 9 overlords instead of corruptors (pinky on x instead of c) and blowing up a few million banelings, I just switched to the standard. :lol:

I can see why a random user would like grid instead of learning all the different keys, but a few months into the game you should have learned them anyway. And the standard setup is much better than BW.

Movitz on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Meanwhile, TLO sat down and had a quick chat with us about an announcement he is making along with Morrow, Sjow, Bischu and Maven later today at Dreamhack. This piece of news finally puts to rest the rumours that have been circulating for weeks now. Yes, TLO will be moving into a joint team house in Europe. Yes, it's going to be awesome and yes, we'll be providing coverage all the way. Enjoy!

i dont know bischu and maven but that will be a talented house

peacekeeper on
  • Options
    Zombie MonkeyZombie Monkey Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    so much sc2 :O

btw i think nasl should have made hd free on day 1 with the vods free too, not sure why they didnt :[

Regardless ill buy if its stable

Zombie Monkey on
    League of Legends - Enzo III
  • Options
    RiddoxRiddox Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    redraptor wrote: »

I didn't miss it!

I too was innocently watching Destiny beat some mans.

Got to see the channel closing AND the boobs!
    ...just bra and panties actually, not that big a deal, but still fun!

SC2 really is the best!

Riddox on
    Gamertag: Ridley 8
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Wait what did we miss?
    Post a summary please.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Some guy got his girlfriend to play "strip starcraft" wherein she would be laddering on a stream a removing an article of clothing after every win. Originally they wanted to do full nudity, but they settled on underwear due to JustinTV rules, but still got banned.

Not sure why anyone thought it was a good idea.

exoplasm on
    1029386-1.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    They got the game backwards anyway shouldn't it be after a loss

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    I watched a few games from drewbie's stream last night in which he played weird. He was faced with lots of stalkers and immortals and he - mass hellioned.

But he won.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    She's like silver and they were hoping people would give good suggestions or offer coaching or something.

Anzekay on
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Honk wrote: »
    I watched a few games from drewbie's stream last night in which he played weird. He was faced with lots of stalkers and immortals and he - mass hellioned.

But he won.

I assume he dropped blue flames into mineral lines non-stop?

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.