As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

TDS & CR: Guys use the new thread already.

HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration ThreadCentrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
edited September 2012 in Debate and/or Discourse
500px-Dailyshow_logosvg.png
Colbert_Report_logo.png

I don't think these shows need any real introduction, given what they are and especially this community. Because of that, I'm not gonna go through all that nonsense of introducing the correspondents or hosts. What I AM gonna do, though, is point out that the shows are back on Hulu! If you're that excited to hear the news for the first time, the above logos are links to the relevant Hulu pages. No longer do you have to endure the horrible Comedy Central web player.

What I AM going to do with this thread from now on is keep track of the guest lists (don't count on this to run 100% of the time) and I may even keep track of the off-air weeks, just to humor myself.

We kinda had a problem in the last thread that I wanna take the chance to clarify now; anything discussed on the shows the night of their airing and up to the next episode is up for discussion here, no problem. When the next episode airs, people who still want to talk about those things should take those topics to their own thread (and often times threads exist for those topics already). Obviously Thursdays have an advantage. Aside from that, any gimmicks, past or present, run on the shows, or correspondents new and old, are free to be discussed here.

Special Announcements:
  • May 4th - Colbert - www.redcross.org - Please visit the website or text REDCROSS to 90999 to donate $10 to the relief aid for Mississippi and Alabama, which were devastated by the recent storms. THINK OF THE MUNKUS BEIBERS.
  • April 11th - Colbert - Twitter - John Kyl's explanation behind lying while on record, "Not intended to be a factual statement," has been picked up by Colbert and the Colbert Nation on Twitter as a hashtag, #NotIntendedToBeAFactualStatement. Look it up if you're ever bored, or add to the mayhem.
  • March - Colbert - www.colbertpac.com - Colbert has started a PAC, which... well, I guess it's just a money-making system pundits are using to back political candidates. So Colbert has called on the Colbert Nation to start a PAC with him. We don't know anything about it yet, aside from 54k people signing up for it as of April 12th. Go to the site and sign up to help out with whatever the hell it is!

Henroid on

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    New thread, hooray!

I'm not a huge fan of Tracy Morgan's appearances, but Ricky Gervais should be good times.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I don't mind Tracy Morgan but at the same time I don't get excited to see him. Agreed on Ricky Gervais though, that guy is great.

Also, in case anyone missed it in the last thread, a new Twitter trend has started (or well, it apparently started before Colbert but he made it a thing) to have the hashtag #NotIntendedToBeAFactualStatement. It's produced such things as:
    Jon Kyl sponsored S.410, which would ban happiness. #NotIntendedToBeAFactualStatement
    I am the Lindbergh baby. Waaaaaaaaaah #NotIntendedToBeAFactualStatement
    Jon Kyl was a member of the Manson Family, and married Squeaky Fromme. #NotIntendedToBeAFactualStatement
    #OMG Now that Planned Parenthood is gone, 90% of abortions will be done at Walgreens! Thanks John Kyl. #NotIntendedToBeAFactualStatement

Henroid on
  • Orochi_RockmanOrochi_Rockman __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    I loved Colbert's picture of him sledding down steps on the backs of out of work federal employees.

Orochi_Rockman on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I loved Colbert's picture of him sledding down steps on the backs of out of work federal employees.

Oh yeah, that gives me an idea. If you guys want, and this really goes to people who watch the shows online (I don't), if any fantastic images like that come up in the shows, screenshot them and link 'em up. I'll probably add some to the OP, just so that we can keep them around.

On that note, if anyone could get a shot of Colbert from his English segments last week where he had crud running out of the corners of his mouth, that would make my year.

Henroid on
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I could have sworn that the Mythbusters did "Reverse Engineering" last season. I know I remember them turning a car around, because it was awesome to watch.

Interesting shows last night, if only because Kyl is such a mouth-breathing troglodyte that both shows decided to hit him relentlessly. I think Wyatt's "He used a technique known as lying" bit was a great example of what makes TDS's concept entertaining.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • QuentinQuentin Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I would have much preferred a surprise performance by Beardzilla over what we heard from the Foo Fighters.

And that's not to say anything really all that bad about the Foo Fighters. I just have to hear Beardzilla now.

Quentin on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    I could have sworn that the Mythbusters did "Reverse Engineering" last season. I know I remember them turning a car around, because it was awesome to watch.

Interesting shows last night, if only because Kyl is such a mouth-breathing troglodyte that both shows decided to hit him relentlessly. I think Wyatt's "He used a technique known as lying" bit was a great example of what makes TDS's concept entertaining.

I think that one was generalized and this is specific? But you're right.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • LineNoizLineNoiz Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Vyolynce wrote: »

I think that one was generalized and this is specific? But you're right.
    I'm fairly sure this is the part Adam referenced in his Twitter feed.
    Here is where I screw up. I'm describing the wrong myth. I'm an idiot. Wednesday's episode is Bourne Identity Toaster explosion.

LineNoiz on
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I wish I had a tv show where I could say whatever the fuck I wanted because it fit into people's world view

Jars on
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    There can be only one Glen Beck, and apparently even that was one too many.

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Wow, I killed the old thread?

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2011
    Try not to do it again with this thread, deo.

So tonight's guest is the governor of Massachusetts. His Wikipedia page actually has probably the most clear breaking-down of positions he has on issues of any politician's Wiki article that I've seen. Only thing I'll note right now is the guy has said already he isn't going to seek re-election in 2014.

Henroid on
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Adam Savage gave me the impression that he was restraining himself, with difficulty, from geeking out over being the same room as Stephen Colbert.

Of course, Colbert gave me the same impression with regard to both Savage and Hyneman.

Shadowen on
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Shadowen wrote: »
    Adam Savage gave me the impression that he was restraining himself, with difficulty, from geeking out over being the same room as Stephen Colbert.

Of course, Colbert gave me the same impression with regard to both Savage and Hyneman.

Jamie was clearly out of his comfort zone. I wanted to give him a hug.

Caveman Paws on
  • plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Adam loves the spotlight, but Jamie never seems comfortable in public.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Jamie does not seem to like people.

Unless he is forced to work with them for many years

Buttcleft on
    edited April 2011
    You think Jamie likes Adam? Because he doesn't particularly.

enlightenedbum on
    edited April 2011
    ... Soooooo the Republicans are embracing shit they were shit-talking...

... KILL ME JUST FUCKING KILL ME ALREADY.

Henroid on
  • JudgementJudgement Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Henroid wrote: »
    ... Soooooo the Republicans are embracing shit they were shit-talking...

... KILL ME JUST FUCKING KILL ME ALREADY.

And they began to embrace shit they weren't shit-talking.

See: Debt ceiling.

I now have to go find the Colbert episode with the Mythbusters.

Also, Texas does not suck.

Judgement on
    309151-1.png
    edited April 2011
    Well, now I know you suck too.

I wonder if everything that guy was saying about Mass. was true. Because it'd be really nice if it was. Because then more states can start operating like it and maybe turn out great.

Henroid on
  • TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Man, Colbert Nation repping HARD on Twitter. It might just be one of the greatest mass troll efforts ever.

Ticaldfjam on
    edited April 2011
    John Kyl kinda asked for it.

Also I forgot to note #NotIntendedToBeAFactualStatement and www.colbertpac.com in the OP. Addressing that now.

Henroid on
    edited April 2011
    Henroid wrote: »
    John Kyl kinda asked for it.

Also I forgot to note #NotIntendedToBeAFactualStatement and www.colbertpac.com in the OP. Addressing that now.

Him and McCain should be Bosom Buddi....oh, wait!

Ticaldfjam on
    edited April 2011
    "Mitt Romney is a lying, sack-o-shit."
    #IntendedtobeaFactualStatement

Ticaldfjam on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    C-SPAN should probably just make up a "Not Intended To Be A Factual Statement" banner and slap it up whenever a R is talking.

Also, the FCC should require Fox News to display it all the time.

Tomanta on
    edited April 2011
    Jon Kyl once pushed a blind kid with cancer in a wheelchair down the stairs. Then aborted it #notintendedtobeafactualstatement

Henroid on
    edited April 2011
    So, is there any disciplinary action for liars or those who don't intend their statements to be taken factually?

Caveman Paws on
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I wanna be a breast exam doctor at Walgreens!

Magus` on
  • Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Have you ever seen People of Walmart? Those will be the breasts you are examining.

Gabriel_Pitt on
    edited April 2011
    So, is there any disciplinary action for liars or those who don't intend their statements to be taken factually?

They're elected to Congress.

enlightenedbum on
    edited April 2011
    I know what Jon Kyl was doing...

He knows that Planned Parenthood services are over 90% abortions. What we don't know is that Planned Parenthood is hiding 97% of them from the public.

Another liberal conspiracy uncovered. Thanks, Jon Kyl!

Judgement on
    309151-1.png
    edited April 2011

They're elected to Congress.

/slidewhistle
    :lol:

Caveman Paws on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Just watched the last two Colberts and hot damned is he on fire lately.

He's enjoying the "not intended to be a factual statement" way too much and it's always a joy to see Colbert really dig into a bit, and I lost it on his Wal-greens colonoscopy right along with him. Just the ridiculousness of it all, really Fox? Papsmears and breast exams at Wal-greens? I cannot wait to see what he does with Colbert PAC

Ah I needed that with how grim politics has been lately

override367 on
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

censure him!

wait what does censure do again?

Jars on
    edited April 2011
    Jars wrote: »

censure him!

wait what does censure do again?

They tell you that you are now censured. And that is what happens.

Take this with a grain of Canadian salt but, 2nd ammendment solution. Do it. It can't be a bad thing if the Founding Fathers thought it was a good idea.

I'll watch from up here, boosting your morale with my positive thinking.
    Removes his human mask to reveal true space lizard self :mrgreen:

Caveman Paws on
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Oh snap, the Mythbusters were on Colbert last night?

To the internets!

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    edited April 2011
    Oh snap, the Mythbusters were on Colbert last night?

To the internets!

Ask us about Moon Landings.

Judgement on
    309151-1.png
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    deowolf wrote: »

What happened to the last thread?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Spoit wrote: »
    deowolf wrote: »

What happened to the last thread?

Reached the page limit.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    When did the page limit become 93?

EDIT: Also, Jon Kyl is a silly goose. #IntendedToBeAFacualStatement.

Shadowen on