As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[RIFT] 1.3 Coming soon - Server Transfers, Guild Banks, and World Events! Oh My!

• StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Grape Ape wrote: »
    I have a question about speccing:

Is it generally better to focus on just one tree, or is it better to spread points across all three?

I've found the most success focusing heavily in one soul and cherry picking the first 5 or so talents of two other trees to complement (like, say, 5% crit or 5% spellpower).

The other option is to go a little deep into a 2nd soul to get a particular class defined ability, like Justicar self heals on attacks even if you're primarily a shaman.

The one thing I think will not work in the long run (and I am not 50, so I can easily be proven wrong here) is doing something like putting 20 points in 3 souls. You just kneecap yourself too much and end up a series of watered down, overlapping abilities.

Straygatsby on
  • Rikidou HyuugaRikidou Hyuuga Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Depends on what you're doing.

DPS, you almost always want to specialize heavily into one tree unless you're looking to pull off some exotic madness. Take a look, for instance, at deep Pyromancer. Fulminate in particular is an insane ability full of useful PvE and PvP implications, but you're going to have to pay to get to it. Same with Assassin's Serpent Strike. That's not to say that you should totally blow off other trees, because oftentimes you'll find ability combinations that suit your playstyle more closely than, say, sacrificing 10 points in a tree for survivability vs damage in order to get absurd ability #4.

Healing and tanking, you tend to be a bit more spread out, because you're oft looking for a grab bag of tools rather than being very effective in one particular area. I can speak as a tank personally when I say I'd be very surprised if I end up with more than 30 points in any one tree. Abilities matter somewhat less to a tank than picking up tools for battle management, aggro generation, and survivability. Healing seems to follow the same paradigm.

Support, you are -exclusively- going into one tree as far as you can, because the deep support tools tend to be the unrivaled all-stars of this game. I'm thinking specifically of things like the Archon's Surging Flare / Burning Purpose combo, Chloromancers who only benefit from the Life-elemental damage only seen in that tree, deep Bards and their Verse of Joy ability - that sort of thing. Spec functionality and deep tools in those specs contain the real support toys that the builds use to succeed.

One note, though - you may find everything above to be complete bullshit. I've found that even the finest theorycrafting minds tend to be split on what is most effective, and outside of access to unique tools, it really does feel like as long as you think things through and try things out, you'll find a unique build that works for you. I'm pretty sure I've never met two toons set up the same way, and I'm done dungeons and planar raids almost exclusively to this point.

Rikidou Hyuuga on
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It's one part "Well you can only put so many points in the tree as you have levels, until you hit cap" and two parts "depends on what abilities you want."

Warriors have three soul combos out the wazoo, for one.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Basil wrote: »
    It's one part "Well you can only put so many points in the tree as you have levels, until you hit cap" and two parts "depends on what abilities you want."

Thanks for the input! Just out of curiousity, what are some of the better combinations for warrior souls?

Right now I'm leveling up with beastmaster/champion/riftbladd, but riftbladd doesn't seem like it's doing a whole lot. despite myself, I'm really liking the purple cat-- is there a pretty reasonable soul combo for setting up beastmasters?

Of course, if someone really loves some other soul, I"d love to hear about it. It's a good feeling not having everything boiled down to known quantities...

Grape Ape on
  • couttscoutts Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I should be on tonight around 10 eastern if any of you tsm folks want to run a dungeon. God I hate 5 night shifts a week.

coutts on
    Pearl FC - 2535 1604 7594 // Black FC - 2494 3438 2717
    scorpex.jpg
  • simsim Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    sim wrote: »
    I think if experts are just not fun it'll be a decider for me

Experts have not been fun to me. All but a couple guild members have stopped playing. The ones that have continued are now strictly raiding. I've given up - But since I still enjoy the game when I want to get my MMO rocks off, I'm just playing a cleric and mage now through their 20s almost exclusively on warfronts.

What is wrong with them? Are they too hard, groups too sucky? Take too long to run?

I am curious how they differ from the normal runs.

They aren't hard at all. My problem is a general problem with MMO dungeon groups overall...I don't have time to search and work on getting a group together then run the dungeon. If I had more friends playing it, I would hop in with them. 30-60 minutes in a dungeon isn't bad...it's having to ping /level50 chat for groups for two hours first that breaks the deal. To top things off, there is typically some nasty douchbaggery in each group (it's pretty common for 2-3 group members to bail as soon as the daily boss dies), and in every level 50 group I've had so far there have been at least two other rogues. I haven't seen a single piece of fresh gear since hitting 50 nearly three weeks ago. Not having fun.

sim on
    edited April 2011
    Grape Ape wrote: »

Thanks for the input! Just out of curiousity, what are some of the better combinations for warrior souls?

Right now I'm leveling up with beastmaster/champion/riftbladd, but riftbladd doesn't seem like it's doing a whole lot. despite myself, I'm really liking the purple cat-- is there a pretty reasonable soul combo for setting up beastmasters?

Of course, if someone really loves some other soul, I"d love to hear about it. It's a good feeling not having everything boiled down to known quantities...

Warriors are in the position of having a whole bunch of really, really useful abilities in the first quarter to third of its trees. You can build a great kit with a minimal point investment, and then focus on whatever aspect of it you like best.

Paragon gives you Strike Like Iron at 2 points, which becomes the primary damage boost of quite a few possible specs. (+48% damage three point finisher, can be kept up as long as you're in combat) From there it fills out attack chains with at least one more ranged attack, a really nifty hard hitting followup attack, a reactive and the 50% chance to get 2 combo points for every builder you use at 15.

Paladin makes shields useful, gives you an off cooldown, a reactive and gives you a full heal for all of 8 points. Some pvp specs hinge on it.

Reaver gets a massive damage reduction boost for 5, and a full aoe dot suite at 8, which makes grabbing and maintaining aggro on numerous targets a snap. Lots of synergy with Paladin's single target stuff.

Riftblade gives you an off cooldown finisher for 4, which hits quite hard, and for 6 you get a ranged attack and a permanent ranged snare. The deeper you go, the more of an unmitigated asshole you become to anyone you're fighting.

Warlord is a complimentary tree for tanking souls, and points invested there increase your survivability and give your attack chain a few neat options until you hit the reverse misdirect at 16. All threat generated by an ally goes to you for 6 seconds. 30 second cooldown.

As for Champion, Beastmaster and Void Knight, I'd say that out of the lot, these three souls require the most points invested to really get some meat on their bones.

Champion and Beastmaster compliment each other, but you'll have to decide which one is going to get the majority of your point investment early on. They both require a middling amount to open up their attack abilities. Until you do, you'll feel like something of a one trick pony.

Champ and Beast together, with enough points, have an absolutely obscene aoe presence, with lots and lots of bleed damage to keep you warm at night. Remember that the guaranteed crit ability works on aoe attacks.

Riftblade's four pointer is a nice ability to have if you need a finisher to make use of your combo while your meat and potatoes are cooking, but you might not be able to use it properly if you have other finishers off cooldown.

...So, uh. Yeah. Pick what you like, hey?

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So the mobile authenticator is out now for ios but for some weird reason it is only tied to your game login and not your trion account login.

You still need your secret question answer to register a new authenticator but it seems a pretty weak barrier if someone has your password already.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    MrIamMe wrote: »
    That was me on Karlena.

Fuck you and your aggro.

Although now Im 49 and retalented for more aggro....

Hahah, oh right. Maybe Rhell tanked the first AP I did the day before. My bad!

<3

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • MaguanoMaguano Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    i'll (squirrellbait ~49) be on around 9ish eastern, if anyone wants to let me get them killed in an instance.

Maguano on
    steam:maguano2
    gamertag:Maguano71
    Switch:SW-8428-8279-1687
  • MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Who is the smartest crafter? I am the smartest crafter.

2011-04-11_185412.jpg

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    coutts wrote: »
    I should be on tonight around 10 eastern if any of you tsm folks want to run a dungeon. God I hate 5 night shifts a week.

I'll be on at like 2pm gmt time :P

im doing a 12 hour shift right now after 5 days of 8 hours shifts

I have 1 day off then I'm doing another 8 hour shift thing

so i'll be on from 2pm for quite awhile trying to get mah tanking on, yea im going to try tanking since we have quite a bit of rogues who fill the dps/bard spots already and really only 2 or 3 tanks in the guild?

I've really only seen corrigan or vassago tank to be honest so im hoping with me taking up a tank job we can get even more people through t1/2 dungeons.

Titan is a butt and if sobenal reads this can you craft me the blue legs for rogues that gives toughness? I know I said I didnt need it but i'm going to use it so I can start tanking t1s as im still short 10 toughness (although vassago says he tanked t1s with 38 toughness but he's a warrior :p)

M.D. on
  • Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Paragon gives you Strike Like Iron at 2 points, which becomes the primary damage boost of quite a few possible specs. (+48% damage three point finisher, can be kept up as long as you're in combat) From there it fills out attack chains with at least one more ranged attack, a really nifty hard hitting followup attack, a reactive and the 50% chance to get 2 combo points for every builder you use at 15.

This + Champion is great in PvP if you enjoy being a glass cannon with fucktastic burst potential as much as I do. Get the combo points up for the +48% damage buff (for example by using the ranged attack from the Paragon tree from a safe distance, or by hitting someone's pet, which are abundant everywhere), pick your target, BULL RUSH and proceed to enjoy your +48% in combination with a guaranteed crit Titan Strike while your target sits there stunned for 6 seconds.

It's worth noting that unlike other Warrior interrupts, the paragon interrupt does Weapon + X damage. The others are just some flat (small) amount of damage. GCD-free of course. I always weave the interrupt into my initial burst, because I know I'm going to die pretty soon anyway; it's not like I'm going to engage any other class in some elaborate battle. I often top both the killing blows and deaths charts.

Some pets can be downright nasty, but in general I love it when someone sends a pet on me. It's like a free combo point battery following me around. (They're not actually called combo points but that's basically what they are, only better.)

Bliss 101 on
    MSL59.jpg
  • Grape ApeGrape Ape Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Holy crap! Thanks for all the amazing advice-- I respecced out of beastmaster (the pet wasn't what I was hoping it would be) and am focusing on Champion + riftblade: I tear through things at an insane rate now!

I'm loving the rifts, loving the versatility of the system, and actually looking forward to pvp in an MMO for the first time since... ever.

level 16 now, trying to find Realm of the Fae, and excited about the game!

Grape Ape on
  • M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    M.D. on
  • MorvidusMorvidus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I really wanted Brizyrr to name his new Faeblight guild <Winning Like Charlie Sheen>, but I guess it doesn't mean as much on that side of the Atlantic. <Level Fifty Chat> is still pretty win.

Morvidus on
  • DeadspaceDeadspace Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'll see about those legs when i get back on. I think i even have a toughness enhancment.
    off to work for 12 hours fffff

Deadspace on
    "War Within, War Without, War Unending." catechism of the Space Wolves 13th Chapter.
  • hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hit 50 yesterday, what the hell was up with that grind, eh?

Thanks to Cor for the awesome gear! Next stop: epic mount! Also I start doin' dailies and raids and crap. And I need to get my weapons boosted and ARGH.

hoodie13 on
    PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So I guess the best way for a new character (level 16) to participate in the World Event is to stick to Freemarch, keep closing rifts, and doing the dailies?

And log in Saturday at noon for Phase 2, then cheer on everyone in Phase 3?

Also, I love that you can put titles on both ends of your name...."Grim Damte, Novice Forager" has a nice ring to it, I think. :P

One question...what time do the dailies reset?

Doctor Detroit on
  • devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Riftblade gives you an off cooldown finisher for 4, which hits quite hard, and for 6 you get a ranged attack and a permanent ranged snare. The deeper you go, the more of an unmitigated asshole you become to anyone you're fighting.

Riftblade for life, yo. Stonespear has caused me to take out guys levels above me. I have gone with the Reaver as my dual spec, so my opening salvo is fire spear, soul sickness, ravaging strike, firespear. During this I'm closing on whoever it is to lay down close up attacks, but if they try to run or snare me, I stone spear and repeat the above salvo again until I close on them.

devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    hoodie13 wrote: »

Thanks to Cor for the awesome gear! Next stop: epic mount! Also I start doin' dailies and raids and crap. And I need to get my weapons boosted and ARGH.

Grind? I still had (and have) an entire zone's worth of quests to do after I hit 50.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Figgy wrote: »
    hoodie13 wrote: »

Grind? I still had (and have) an entire zone's worth of quests to do after I hit 50.

Yeah, hit IPP at 45 after finishing moonshade and 95% of droughtlands (stupid cyclops quests that no one ever does). Still have 2 other zones I've not even touched yet, should be trivial to get 50 with three zones of content + instances + rifts.

Bullhead on
    96058.png?1619393207
    edited April 2011
    Well, somehow I skipped a ton of IPP quests, so I can go back and do those eventually, but other than that I'm just missing the big raid at the end of Stillmoor, the western half of Shimmersands (not a fan) and most of the dungeon quests.

hoodie13 on
    @hoodiethirteen
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2011
    Also, I love that you can put titles on both ends of your name...."Grim Damte, Novice Forager" has a nice ring to it, I think. :P

In LotRO you ended up with two rows for your titles. :P

noob.jpg

Echo on
  • Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So, mages... yeah.

I'd been levelling my little noobmage as a Pyromancer, and thought it was pretty awesome for all the fire and death.

But then, just for a change of pace, I switched to a Necromancer/Warlock build, and... I don't think I can go back.

It's essentially a lot like playing an affliction Warlock was back in the day in WoW, except instead of a stupid blue blob following me around, I have an awesome armored skeleton. All the dots + that life drain ability keeps both myself and my skelly healed, and rip apart about as many enemies as dare come at me.

I used to try and work my way through an area, picking my fights to make sure I didn't get patrols. Now I march right into the middle of an enemy camp and dare them all to come at me. A short time later I'm standing amidst a giant pile of corpses and loving RIFT's AoE-loot system. :D

So what I'm saying is, Necrolocks are pretty cool, yo.

Toxic Pickle on
  • ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Tanked xIT as my first expert dungeon last night. Going from the faceroll gameplay of the 1-50 game to that dungeon was a bit of a surprise. I'm honestly pretty glad we finished.

Artereis on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    My first master crafting daily gave me a purple plaque. Hurray!

I probably won't be seeing another one of those for a while....

Gotta say, the epic recipes for Apoth are pretty fucking weak compared to the other professions. Pretty weak indeed.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • ICUbICUb WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    experts are nice, hard but not impossible as a fresh 50. Good stuff.

ICUb on

Bnet tag: Nermals#11601
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2011
    Yawn. Need one more FC run for the epic saga.

Echo on
  • ICUbICUb WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Can anyone in KoA craft Nclex the 50 cloth epic shoulders/hat? I haz mats.

ICUb on

Bnet tag: Nermals#11601
  • ElinElin Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    ICUb wrote: »
    Can anyone in KoA craft Nclex the 50 cloth epic shoulders/hat? I haz mats.

Catch me online and I'll tell you who made mine. They aren't KoA but they're trustworthy.

Elin on
    Switch SW-5832-5050-0149
    PSN Hypacia
    Xbox HypaciaMinnow
    Discord Hypacia#0391
  • SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So everyone's been talking about this epic questline that supposedly starts with Asha that I can't seem to find. Asha has no quests for me (in Meridian). Any help? I'd like to do it, but damned if I can figure out how to start it, or where I might have left it off.

SeñorAmor on
  • abotkinabotkin Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    SeñorAmor wrote: »
    So everyone's been talking about this epic questline that supposedly starts with Asha that I can't seem to find. Asha has no quests for me (in Meridian). Any help? I'd like to do it, but damned if I can figure out how to start it, or where I might have left it off.

Here you go.

abotkin on
    steam_sig.png
    3DS: 0963-0539-4405
  • MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I think I can get my epic Plaque chest tonight, so that's pretty tits. Hopefully I can get in a daily expert group.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Rikidou HyuugaRikidou Hyuuga Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Really like the Lantern Hook 2nd boss, at least in Normal. An inventive mechanic that as a tank keeps me hopping. It's got me thinking about a VK / Reaver build, of all things, for maintaining ranged aggro on a rapidly moving target.

Rikidou Hyuuga on
  • StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    And that's a ragequit for me!

Healing is frustrating and infuriating, and it's all I like doing in MMOs anymore.

Good luck KoA; you are a lovely bunch of chaps, and I hope your enjoyment of Telara lasts longer than mine.

Straygatsby on
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    And that's a ragequit for me!

Healing is frustrating and infuriating, and it's all I like doing in MMOs anymore.

Good luck KoA; you are a lovely bunch of chaps, and I hope your enjoyment of Telara lasts longer than mine.

I will agree, that if someone comes from healing in something like WoW - there is some great feedback in that game, it's certainly more visceral. Something like Chloro healing, where its all damage, all the time, or you're fucked - would definitely but me off. But then I played a Disciple of Khaine in Warhammer so the. . .nontraditional healing route I was ready for.

I would say if someone wants to heal the "normal" way, that a cleric is their best bet, as they are the ones (haven't played a Bard), with the direct immediate spammable heals.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • DemiurgeDemiurge Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So I've rolled Demiurge on EU Argent. Would appreciate a guild invite :) I'm Defiant.

Edit: Got an invite :)

Demiurge on
    DQ0uv.png 5E984.png
    edited April 2011
    I think RIFT has ruined my view of healing on other MMOs. It makes no sense to me to play a character that ONLY heals people, and that those heals dont do damage to the enemy at all. That just sounds boring to me. I mean, I can understand the obvious benefit, and I guess some people just like being useful. But just sitting in the back and keeping green meters full sounds dull.

hoodie13 on
    @hoodiethirteen
    edited April 2011
    The trick is to develop a sense of ownership over your comrades. They're not people so much as they're your adoring pets who rely on you to care and feed for them, and in turn they go out and acquire riches in your name.

And if they piss you off, you make them suffer. Hell, they can always be replaced. You're a big guddamn healer, what are they?

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
This discussion has been closed.