As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

89% of magic tricks are not magic. Technically, they are sorcery. (mark all spoilers)

Goose!Goose! That's me, honeyShow me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
edited April 2011 in Social Entropy++
YAd1s.jpg

"Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: Why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: Why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired."
-Cave Johnson, Founder and CEO of Aperture Science

Welcome back to the Aperture Science Enrichment Center

Portal 2 picks up ("centuries" from) where the original left off. You take on the role of "Chell," the human test subject of the Aperture Science Handheld Portal Device, only this time you are joined by a handful of new characters:

fHapl.jpg
Cave Johnson, the aforementioned Founder and CEO of Aperture Science, who is dead. Or is he? Well, yes, he is. However, he is still able to write memos and help Chell via the Aperture Science Speaker System. Voiced by J.K. Simmons, also known as J. Jonah Jameson (or that guy from those insurance commercials), a series of videos were released hyping the game in recent weeks, the last of which just came out today (here's all 4):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qcED35LL8I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZMSAzZ76EU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6i-nMWgBUp0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX9Sc88qreg

alZHG.jpg
Wheatley, a Personality Core, he wakes Chell up and trusts her to catch him as he prepares, unadvisably, to detach himself. From then, they try to find their way out, but stumble across the complete opposite of their desires in the form of the returning...

7ikF5.jpg
Genetic Lifeform and Disk Operating System (GLaDOS), the driving, maniacal sentient computer controling Aperture Science, and trying to keep it all together. GLaDOS informs Chell that she is not angry at Chell for attempting to murder her, and would like to repair their relationship.

And so continues the saga, in the name of testing the Handheld Portal device.

But wait, there's more!

In addition to the single player campaign that Portal 2 has to offer, there is also a Co-Op Campaign mode, which takes place (sequentially) after the events of the Single Player mode. However, since humans cannot be trusted (as mentioned in the above vignette), the Cooperative section of the Enrichment Center features two robots:

axmlN.jpg
ATLAS and P-body, referred to as Blue and Orange by GLaDOS, are those two robots. They must work together to solve the most complex tests in Enrichment Center.

That's your basic information about the world of Aperture Science. Of course, there's more to it than that, but we don't want to spoil the fun. In fact, let this be your reminder that ruining the story for people is not cool, use spoiler tags and mark all spoilers.

And now, here are some neat things (behind a spoiler, because they will probably spoil things, so you might want to play the game first):
www.valvearg.com - This is an archive of the different things like the Potato Sack ARG and such.
Spoilercast from Giant Bomb - Chet Faliszek, Erik Wolpaw, and Jay Pinkerton talk Portal 2 plot with Giant Bomb, spoilers abound
I'm in space
Meet Bill

Goose! on

• Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    goddammit I was going to do this!

I am incredibly excited you guys

YaYa on
  • Options
    AnosognosAnosognos Who wants to play video games?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I want to work for Cave Johnson. Or buy things from him. Or both.

Anosognos on
    Beemo_Controller.png
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I think we can put our differences behind us.

For science.
    You monster.

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Damn, those are some sexy legs on Chell

I mean, boots. Yeah. Boots.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    this looks neat

i should buy portal at some point

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm not sure how I feel about them releasing for PC/steam users earlier than those who plan to play on console.

Not sure how I feel. But uh. Not good so far. I mean, the ARG is cool, but, damn. Breaking the street release date?

Kochikens on
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The ARG does seem to be hinting towards an early release.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I can't imagine how that WOULDN'T piss retailers off though. Or those people at midnight releases. Or anyone planning to play on console.

Kochikens on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    this looks neat

i should buy portal at some point

Just buy portal 2 for pc and get portal 1 free

Goose! on
  • Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    portal 2 looks pretty cool

but I'll probably wait until it goes on the aperture science official discounted product list

BugBoy on
  • Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I cannot wait to do twin co-op with BB

for science

Butler For Life #1 on
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Oh holy shit it is JK Simmons

I was wondering why I loved Cave Johnson so much.

#pipe on
  • Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    haha, buying a valve game on a console, good one
    I had orange box for 360

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    inb4

cake is a still a lie?

Xehalus on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    so is everybody else getting it for steam?

I own the first one on PS3 in the orange box but I think I'd prefer it with KBAM.

#pipe on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I had orange box for 360

yeah seriously please refer to console orange box sales. Especially with the PS3 steam compatibility.

Just imagine how many cancelled preorders there would be from console users who fucked off to get it on steam.

Kochikens on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It's already essentially $35 on Amazon for the 360, I'll just get it for Steam when it's on sale sometime.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Would it really be particularly different from 'exclusive' DLCs etc that then appear on other consoles and PCs a little while later?

I mean, we seem to be talking about an absolute maximum possible wait of 7 days, assuming they suddenly release it with no announcement within the next 6 or 7 hours, it would be a bit of a goose move, for sure, but would people really go batshit and cancel preorders elsewhere to get it that much quicker?

It's also a pretty comparable wait time to that with European / Asian customers regularly suffer through, while attempting to drown out the glee of North Americans who already have the game.

Maybe people would react the way you are suggesting, but I think they'd be pretty entitled and dumb to get seriously bent out of shape over it.

Fyndir on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    #pipe wrote: »

I own the first one on PS3 in the orange box but I think I'd prefer it with KBAM.

I'm already dreading how frantic and coordinated the co-op is going to be, I can't imagine attempting it without KBAM. I'm only okay with gamepad aiming if there's limited Y-Axis use, which is certainly not the case here.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    See I mean I really enjoyed portal on PS3

but only because a lot of the puzzles aren't dependent on frantic aiming.

#pipe on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

Oh, that's something of note.

If you buy the PS3 version, you also get the PC version INCLUDED! Cuz of STEAMWORKS (I believe)
    If you buy the PC version, you get Portal 1 INCLUDED! And if you already have Portal 1 you can gift it.

I am not aware of any benefits of buying it for the 360, so there you go.

Goose! on
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Psh

They would shun the best console

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Goose! wrote: »

Oh, that's something of note.

If you buy the PS3 version, you also get the PC version INCLUDED! Cuz of STEAMWORKS (I believe)
    If you buy the PC version, you get Portal 1 INCLUDED! And if you already have Portal 1 you can gift it.

I am not aware of any benefits of buying it for the 360, so there you go.

Yes. And because of this, I know a lot of folks who intend to play on PC but bought it for PS3.

Which is another reason the unlocking early for steam would bother a lot of people.

Kochikens on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Actually, I think its for precisely that reason they could unlock it early, regardless of who it would bother, because their core is the PC and the PC gamer and the announcement of PS3 Steamworks and stuff. I think of it as a way to keep their first lovers satisfied, or at least give them an early beta access thing (like TF2 Orange Box style).

That's just my theory, if it does happen, but I highly doubt its happening. Mainly because of this, today's post on the official Portal 2 Blog:
    Portal 2 goes live on Steam 7AM PST, April 19th
    April 12, 2011 - The Portal 2 Team
    The calendar experts at Valve were pretty "steamed" at us this morning, even after we broke out that great pun you just read. According to them, Portal 2 is actually getting unlocked on Steam at 7AM PST, not EST. According to us, they told us 7AM EST and are now backtracking to cover their butts. Either way, there's a chance the game might be delayed by three hours while we work this out.

Goose! on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I had orange box for 360

but i can't afford a new pc
    this one barely ran deus ex 9 years ago

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    says on the blog they're sticking to the release on the 19th

chill out

TheySlashThem on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I really want to get this, but if I'm going to afford my new place in a month it just isn't going to happen. Going to be among those waiting on like a 30 dollar steam sale a year down the road.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I had orange box for 360

If you have a PS3 buy it for PS3.

Then when you can afford to, buy a new PC.

And you'll have the game on both (and your save is transferable thanks to steam cloud).

Goose! on
  • Options
    VALVEjunkieVALVEjunkie Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    who wants to be my co op buddy

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Kochikens wrote: »
    I had orange box for 360

yeah seriously please refer to console orange box sales. Especially with the PS3 steam compatibility.

Just imagine how many cancelled preorders there would be from console users who fucked off to get it on steam.

Yeah. Just imagine how many people would opt for the more convenient, preferably method of purchasing a game. It's almost like people prefer getting shit sooner than later.

It's fucking crazy how that works.

I really don't get why this is a surprise or a concern. I mean, unless you have some kind of personal investment in the retail business.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I need a co op partner.

Anyone else need a co op partner?

Cause we could co op... together.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I need a co op partner.

Anyone else need a co op partner?

Cause we could co op... together.

emot-swoon.gif

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

emot-swoon.gif

I think my SteamID is dark_raven_x

But... I can't find that profile URL thing anymore; so I can't give ya my specific string of numbers+letters or whatever. :p

EDIT! Wait, got it!

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197989749507/

There I am. >:3

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    friend request sent

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Valve get on AIM what the fuck are you doing not on AIM

I Win Swordfights on
    lfYVHTd.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    okay man jeeze chill!

VALVEjunkie on
  • Options
    ButlerButler 89 episodes or bust Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I had orange box for 360

8-) what a shame

Butler on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Goose! wrote: »
    I had orange box for 360

If you have a PS3 buy it for PS3.

Then when you can afford to, buy a new PC.

And you'll have the game on both (and your save is transferable thanks to steam cloud).

The next game I am buying is Brink. And I still haven't finished Katamari Forever or New Vegas. Or 3-d Dot Game Heroes.

This game does look super neato though, and as usual, Valve's marketing team is delivering some amazing stuff. I added it to my wishlist!

DouglasDanger on
This discussion has been closed.