As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mass Effect: Blue Öyster Cult was wrong.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Thane and Miranda are my preferred Collector hit squad. Two warps and ludicrous weapon damage. I like Samara, but Reave unlocks a bit too late for my tastes.

Edit: I use armor piercing over warp. Barriers are only common on a handful of missions. Might be worth a respec if you've got a run of them, but eh.

Elendil on
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Shen wrote: »
    I just take out the shield things ASAP and use the Cain on the Warden, that fight can get pretty tricky otherwise.
    Yes, very tricky, especially since several groups enter the door behind Shepard's team. My Adept rolled right through it, tho, by dropping Singularities all over the place. You just THINK you're safe behind that cover, bwa ha ha.

Simple solution.

CHARGE!

...Admittedly, that's a simple solution to every problem.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    That is one thing I'd like them to address in ME3. Getting your squadmates earlier.

I know I never used Samara/Thane much because they were always the last two I got.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I need to try a full run of Infiltrator.

I was doing a man-whore, Cerberus boot-licker Shep that just happened to be an Infiltrator, but I couldn't even make it to Horizon without feeling like I needed a shower.

I haven't tried the class again since.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    I need to try a full run of Infiltrator.

I was doing a man-whore, Cerberus boot-licker Shep that just happened to be an Infiltrator, but I couldn't even make it to Horizon without feeling like I needed a shower.

I haven't tried the class again since.

Don't worry. I know what you mean.

I made a pro-Cerberus Soldier for my failShep run(you know...keep it in the spirit of Cerberus).

I mean I killed him in the end...but it never truly goes away.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Utsanomiko wrote: »
    Dox the PI wrote: »
    Pancake wrote: »
    So I'm thinking about another playthrough of ME2 and I was thinking about romancing Tali because she's soooooo sweet and cute and I just want to hug her and neeeeeeeever let go.

So I got to thinking that after all this is done, what if she doesn't love me enough to not leave? So I think I'm going to get her exiled so she has nowhere else to go. Then we can be happy together on the Normandy and spend the rest of our lives together without her ever having to give a single thought to going back "home."

Is this a good idea?

Remember to kill Kal'Reager and Vetor as she might fall in love with them

Cut off her arms and legs.

.... I almost rewrote the last scene of Se7en with Shepard playing the role of Mills thanks to this line. Almost.

What's in the box?

Bobble on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    They need to put the default Hawke hair and beard in ME 2. Manly man needs manly facial hair. I want to run a manshep, but I had the bald, shaved look.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Elendil wrote: »
    Thane and Miranda are my preferred Collector hit squad. Two warps and ludicrous weapon damage. I like Samara, but Reave unlocks a bit too late for my tastes.

Edit: I use armor piercing over warp. Barriers are only common on a handful of missions. Might be worth a respec if you've got a run of them, but eh.

I'm pretty sure warp ammo is effective against barriers, armor and health. It certainly felt like it with my last insanity playthrough.

Renegade Wolf on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, ME2 is much harder. Both because of actual gameplay stuff like not being invunerable under immunity, but also because ME2 shepard is more unwieldy to control than some tanks

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    jdarksun wrote: »

I'm pretty sure warp ammo is effective against barriers, armor and health. It certainly felt like it with my last insanity playthrough.
    It is! Turns out that made my Insanity Infiltrator more fun.

But only slightly. I still possess the staying power of wet paper and the stopping power of a friendly slap. Shooting people in the face seems less climactic when I have to shoot them in the face twenty thousand times, pausing once to switch between Disruptor and Warp ammo. It didn't seem difficult so much as tedious.

But two achievements on the PC version which will never net me anything. Harrumph.

you shouldn't be changing ammo on your guns while killing the same dude. just roll warp all the way and ignore disruptor.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Warp ammo works on armor and health, but it does 20% less damage than AP ammo against either in exchange for affecting barriers as well. It's a good choice, but personally I never found barriers to be a very strong defense in a party with SMGs and warp - unless you're a biotic or biotic-heavy in which case you have extra incentive to take it.

The correct answer therefore is shredder ammo.
    Staaaasssiiiiiissss

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    ME1 Insanity was just dumber than ME2, not harder: You could knock over some goddamn low-level mook with no defense and then you and your whole squad stood in a circle just blasting the shit out this prone fucker for 10-15 secs before he died. That and everyone and their hamsterhaving that barrier power on a 20-25 sec cooldown, I was immensely relieved whenever Geth was set up as mission opposition due to this.

>:E

ME2 Insanity though, is for the most pretty challenging with the sparsely occasional "WTF I'VE BEEN RELOADING FOR 45 MINUTES", and that's a mighty fine difficulty level.

Panda4You on
  • Options
    Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hardcore is pretty much perfect

though sometimes it feels a little to easy

Dox the PI on
  • Options
    DarisDaris Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    By the time you get to the final missions, upgrades make hardcore similar to veteran. Playing as soldier, vanguard, or infiltrator also makes it more bearable. Honestly, Vanguard and Soldier just make the end game a pleasure cruise on any difficulty. Vanguard because BIOTIC CHARGE constantly recharges your shields, and Soldier because you can pop two to three enemies with ease on one adrenaline rushed clip. If not more.

Daris on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    jdarksun wrote: »

It is! Turns out that made my Insanity Infiltrator more fun.

But only slightly. I still possess the staying power of wet paper and the stopping power of a friendly slap. Shooting people in the face seems less climactic when I have to shoot them in the face twenty thousand times, pausing once to switch between Disruptor and Warp ammo. It didn't seem difficult so much as tedious.

But two achievements on the PC version which will never net me anything. Harrumph.

One word: Widow.

Jazz on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I never got the Widow love. It seemed like 90% of the time I'd headshot someone and they'd be left with a sliver of health, but still alive.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    wiltingwilting I had fun once and it was awful Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Things on Noveria just went down differently for me than I had seen on any previous playthrough, that was cool. I had always gone down to the hot labs after going through rift station, and I had never known about the simple way of getting out of the port.

Also, was shocked not to have enough paragon/charm to prevent me from having to kill the exogeni guy on Feros. Oh well.

wilting on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Damn son... Ashley got hot for ME3.

I think I might have to do a full on ME1-2 run before ME3 comes out and remain faithful.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    chasmchasm Ill-tempered Texan Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Damn son... Ashley got hot for ME3.

I think I might have to do a full on ME1-2 run before ME3 comes out and remain faithful.

Same here. Gotta convert her from Space Hitler in the first one and then run from there.

chasm on
    steam_sig.png
    XBL : lJesse Custerl | MWO: Jesse Custer | Best vid ever. | 2nd best vid ever.
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ashley was a dog that got put down on Virmire. Anything else is just photoshopped memorial photographs.

Panda4You on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    i'm totes gonna do a meh-shep run for ashley, though. she ain't worth doing everything in ME1. basic 7 hour run, major sidequests, fuck the minerals

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I love how games have made me such a fickle bitch. Nothing mattered more to me than Brink. Got my GameInformer yesterday, and now I would probably trade Brink(Still super psyched) for ME3 in an instant. I knew nothing about it other than "The Reapers are here". Everything about it sounds so awesome

Except for a blurb about the slim possibility of ME3 multiplayer... my brain was screaming NOOOOOOOOOO so hard that my ears were about to bleed. I really hope they don't try to shoehorn some kind of MP modes into ME3...

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I love how games have made me such a fickle bitch. Nothing mattered more to me than Brink. Got my GameInformer yesterday, and now I would probably trade Brink(Still super psyched) for ME3 in an instant. I knew nothing about it other than "The Reapers are here". Everything about it sounds so awesome

Except for a blurb about the slim possibility of ME3 multiplayer... my brain was screaming NOOOOOOOOOO so hard that my ears were about to bleed. I really hope they don't try to shoehorn some kind of MP modes into ME3...

...It specifically, clearly states no multiplayer in ME3.

DHS on
    "Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
  • Options
    CojonesCojones Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Completed Arrival earlier today. Not terribly impressed with any part of it, and I'm desperately hoping that Bioware don't include more stealth missions in ME3.

That playthrough was done as a Vanguard on Insanity for everything but the defense portion of Arrival, which I found to be outrageously difficult, and dropped it to casual until that had been completed. All in all, insanity(this was my first ever insanity run) was pretty easy. There were points where I'd been playing for hours at a time between deaths, so much so that I was surprised that it was even possible to die once it happened.

Cojones on
    exmac.png
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    DHS wrote: »

It seems like it would be really easy to toss in split-screen co-op and let another player control one of the other squad members.

gjaustin on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    gjaustin wrote: »

It seems like it would be really easy to toss in split-screen co-op and let another player control one of the other squad members.

I can't really see a dialogue heavy single player game going great with multi. "dude just skip this convo I want to go back to shooting dudes."

One thing I hope for the third game is less dlc having all the god damn good guns.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The Mattock, at least, was confirmed for ME3 with those scans.

Of course, there could be something that completely outclasses it in the next game, too.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Cojones wrote: »
    Completed Arrival earlier today. Not terribly impressed with any part of it, and I'm desperately hoping that Bioware don't include more stealth missions in ME3.

That playthrough was done as a Vanguard on Insanity for everything but the defense portion of Arrival, which I found to be outrageously difficult, and dropped it to casual until that had been completed. All in all, insanity(this was my first ever insanity run) was pretty easy. There were points where I'd been playing for hours at a time between deaths, so much so that I was surprised that it was even possible to die once it happened.

Why does everyone have trouble with that bit?

I mean, I'm not that great (died five times in the launch room) and I strolled through that bit.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The Mattock, at least, was confirmed for ME3 with those scans.

Of course, there could be something that completely outclasses it in the next game, too.

Yeah I'm optimistic with the return of weapon mods and hopefully more selection sans dlc. Its just that having bought just about all the weapon dlc in ME 2 (because honestly I like having options), the DLC guns were all superior to their non dlc counterparts. Especially the kasumi machine pistol, and their looks in my opinion were better.

Though for god sake give us a no helmet option if you go full suits of armor again, I think the ceberous armor looks sweet but that helmet kills it.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Did I read correctly that the looting of fallen enemies is making a return, as well as weapon customization?

Skull2185 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Did I read correctly that the looting of fallen enemies is making a return, as well as weapon customization?

Weapon customization combined with actual visual difference for said customizing (which wasn't in the first game so that will be sweet).

Sounds like ME 3 will be a hybrid of 1 and 2. A small thing I'd like to have return is actually disembarking from the normandy complete with the decon chamber, I liked that small touch.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    gjaustin wrote: »

Right up until you remember time-dilation effects.

Bobble on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

I mean, I'm not that great (died five times in the launch room) and I strolled through that bit.
    By the end of the game the only ways I died were through either stupidity/impatience on my part or through stunlocking. That sequence has Pyros(which are without a doubt the toughest enemy type to take on as a Vanguard) and YMIRs, which can stun at range. For me at least, being hit by a missile or flamethrower meant that I had a very significant chance of dying before leaving the flail/knockback animation.

Also, what do you guys think the odds that the content of N7 missions(or similar) will be carried on to ME3?

Cojones on
    exmac.png
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The Object Rho fight is a good deal harder than literally anything else in the entirety of Mass Effect 2.

It's not even a fucking contest. It makes the platform fight look like a joke.

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Preacher wrote: »

Weapon customization combined with actual visual difference for said customizing (which wasn't in the first game so that will be sweet).
    LQ3uP.png

Skull2185 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    chiasaur11 wrote: »

By the end of the game the only ways I died were through either stupidity/impatience on my part or through stunlocking. That sequence has Pyros(which are without a doubt the toughest enemy type to take on as a Vanguard) and YMIRs, which can stun at range. For me at least, being hit by a missile or flamethrower meant that I had a very significant chance of dying before leaving the flail/knockback animation.

Oh, good. That makes sense. I thought you meant defending the doc.

Yeah, Object Rho is the worst.

Even without the damn charge glitches. Worse than the Colossus fight and the Collector platforms put together.

chiasaur11 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    A question about Arrival story;
    So, that relay has to be destroyed so the Reapers can't jump deeper into the galaxy, right?

How does Shep leave that system, then?

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited April 2011
    So, that relay has to be destroyed so the Reapers can't jump deeper into the galaxy, right?

Normandy jumps moments before the asteroid collides with the relay

Cojones on
    exmac.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Ah, I must have missed that.
    I guess it also means that the Reapers showed up just after Shep disappeared, so those Batarians were probably fucked anyway.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited April 2011

Ah, I must have missed that.
    I guess it also means that the Reapers showed up just after Shep disappeared, so those Batarians were probably fucked anyway.
    Huh?
    The Reapers couldn't have showed up; the relay they were planning to jump to was destroyed in the only memorable scene of that DLC

Cojones on
    exmac.png