As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Old [Entertainment] Thread is Old. Everyone GTFO!

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The comments actually made me angry, unless they are posted by a bunch of skillful trolls there are some wrestling "fans" with gigantic entitlement issues out there.

Entitlement issues?

"I'm hoping that after a couple of months Edge is pulled back into the ring. He can self medicate or get other doctors opinion's. Maybe give us a few more years of wrestling."

"Lost a lot of respect for Edge tonight. He could take a little time off & be back. He has gotten a bit out of shape lately so it looks like it may just be rich & lazy syndrome."

They believe they are entitled to Edge killing himself for their pleasure.

Wow, that is terrible.
    See, here's my thing with Terry/Hogan.

I said in my reaction "fuck you, terry" and that's how I meant it.

I'm trying to separate the hulk hogan from my childhood (who was a fairly decent role model while we were growing up) to the Terry that I've come to figure out as an adult. For me, Hulk Hogan will always be the red and gold and the vitamins and Hulkamania and the best parts of childhood.

Terry, however, can go fuck himself senseless with his pythons.

I can go with that.
    THEPAIN73 wrote: »
    So yesterday I won a WWE prize pack. I got:

A Tough Enough t-shirt
    A WWE steel water bottle
    The True Story of Wrestlemania DVD
    and
    The Best of 2010 DVD

So fuck yeah. Gotta brag somewhere.

Aftermath?

Either way, nice haul... I'm jealous.
    Goose! wrote: »
    Some silliness:
    - WWE has an information sheet titled "The Language of WWE" that they send out to people that do international voice-overs for their TV shows in other countries. The sheet includes a list of "Incorrect Terminology" and a list of "Correct Terminology."

"The Language of WWE" reads like this:

"World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) is a publicly traded entertainment company (NYSE: WWE) that creates and delivers a weekly action soap opera to its passionate fans.

WWE has been a recognized leader in entertainment for more than 25 years and has developed into one of the most popular and sophisticated forms of global entertainment today.

As a global entertainment brand, the language that we use when communicating on WWE is critical.

Please ensure that you are familiar and employing the below, effective immediately. "

Here's a look at some of the terms:

* "Wrestling" or "catch" is banned. Some European countries still use the term "catch" to describe pro wrestling and "catchers" to describe wrestlers. "The Language of WWE" states that the following phrases are incorrect: "Wrestling is broadcast in 145 countries," or "Catch is broadcast in 145 countries." The correct terminology is: "WWE is broadcast in 145 countries."

* "Sports" is incorrect. "Entertainment or Action Soap Opera" is allowed. For example, "WWE is exciting entertainment" or "WWE is an exciting action soap opera" is allowed. In the last example, "action soap opera" is printed in bold, presumably to make sure there's no confusion.

* "Catchers" or "wrestlers" are not allowed. Incorrect examples are "Catchers are unique characters" or "Wrestlers are unique characters." The term "WWE Superstars" is allowed.

* "Athletes" or "Sportsmen" are now allowed either. WWE gives the following example to use: "WWE Superstars are entertainers with tremendous athletic prowess."

* The term "fight" is not allowed. Matches must be referred to as "match" or "bout."

* "Fighting" is also not allowed but the term "action" is.

"The Language of WWE" printout concludes with the following "Key Soundbytes":

* WWE is pure entertainment

* WWE is an action soap opera

* WWE Superstars are entertainers with tremendous athletic prowess

Says Jim Cornette on Twitter: "The best laugh I've had all day. --List of acceptable terms for TV networks to describe WWE"
    KurnDerak wrote: »
    Aside from XFL what all has he tried and failed at? I assume WWE Pictures was also chalked up as a failure as most of the releases now are one week in theaters then DVD release.

I've read that WWE Pictures is actually somewhat profitable. They have some sort of model which seems to bank on the Walmart exclusivity and straight-to-DVD stuff. More on it here.

Another venture of McMahon's was some supplement called ICOPRO, wasn't it?

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You know, we all keep saying stuff like, "I can't wait until Vince is gone so people like Stephanie and Trips can take over". But how long will that take? Vince is only 65. It's not like he has to be completely coherent to run the business (it's not like he is now, for that matter).

If he doesn't die for some reason, he could easily still be in power for another, what...5, 10 maybe 15 years? I can see Vince pulling a Charlton Heston with the company that he basically built. "From my cold, dead hands", etc. It's not like he has to go away anytime soon.

And if he's given that much time and allowed to let all these crazy business interests get in the way of his wrestling product (and they obviously are), then who says we're even going to have a legitimate wrestling industry by the time he leaves? As much as we can complain about the quality of the actual wrestling product nowadays, imagine how much worse it could get in the next decade if Vince is still in charge and it's still "entertainment" instead of actual professional performers who know how to execute a string of wrestling holds. He might just kill the entire product before he leaves his position. At the very least, it may turn into something that doesn't even resemble wrestling anymore.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    There are other wrestling promotions besides WWE, and besides TNA and ROH for that matter. Wrestling itself will not die as a result of anything Vince does.

Kreutz on
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Keep in mind, Vince Sr. sold his company to Jr. at the age of 67 and died at 69. I'm not saying Vince is going to do either, but I wouldn't be surprised if he'd come to terms with handing over the company to the next generation before he turns 70.

David_T on
    cu4c1c5yy0xr.png
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    David_T wrote: »
    Keep in mind, Vince Sr. sold his company to Jr. at the age of 67 and died at 69. I'm not saying Vince is going to do either, but I wouldn't be surprised if he'd come to terms with handing over the company to the next generation before he turns 70.

Really? Granted, none of us know the man, but just from the little that is shown, talked about, he doesn't strike me as the type of guy that will just give the keys over and retire.

I mean, hell, look at the business in general. I think that so many of the people involved in it have addicting personalities, that prevent them from just walking away.

noir_blood on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    Vince Sr. was also dieing of cancer when he sold the company.

JustinSane07 on
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Okay as bad as Vince may or may not be for wrestling, counting on him croaking just seems to cross some kind of line IMO.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    noir_blood wrote: »
    David_T wrote: »

Really? Granted, none of us know the man, but just from the little that is shown, talked about, he doesn't strike me as the type of guy that will just give the keys over and retire.

I mean, hell, look at the business in general. I think that so many of the people involved in it have addicting personalities, that prevent them from just walking away.

Well, a couple of things. One is that his dad handed over the company and then died before turning 70. I can't imagine that not having an impact on how Vince sees his own future. His dad died at 69, his granddad at 72, he has to be having serious thoughts about how long he's going to last beyond 70.

Second, Vince has always been about the company being a family company. He got it from his dad, Vince Sr. got his start in CWC replacing his father, and when time comes Vince will hand it over to the next in line, Steph and Triple H. So he knows how it'll end. It's not that he has to hang on because there's noone else there to run it, the people who will run it when he's gone are there and working in the company already. And with Shane gone, there's even the added threat of, y'know, if he holds on too long, then he may actually end up without anyone to leave it to.

Thirdly, his ambition has always been to make the WWE an entertainment juggernaut. This latest push into the entertainment industry has the feel of a last-ditch effort, a case of "I will do this before I'm done". And there's really only two outcomes. Either it bombs and he has to cut way back and focus only on the wrestling, which would be a good time to let fresh people take over, or he succeeds and now has a massive entertainment company to run, which would be a good time to step back from the wrestling part and let fresh people take over.

He may limpet out the rest of his days, coming down doing the Bushwacker walk at 80 and coughing his way through a "You're fired!" now and then, but I'd be thoroughly unsurprised to see him hand off the company before or at 70.

David_T on
    cu4c1c5yy0xr.png
  • ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Kreutz wrote: »
    There are other wrestling promotions besides WWE, and besides TNA and ROH for that matter. Wrestling itself will not die as a result of anything Vince does.

I meant to say just WWE, not the whole wrestling industry. My mistake.

Although, I will say that counting on TNA to do anything correctly is probably a terrible choice.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    THEPAIN73 wrote: »
    So yesterday I won a WWE prize pack. I got:

A Tough Enough t-shirt
    A WWE steel water bottle
    The True Story of Wrestlemania DVD
    and
    The Best of 2010 DVD

So fuck yeah. Gotta brag somewhere.

Aftermath?

Either way, nice haul... I'm jealous.

Waiting on the package to get here, it will be a few weeks.

I will post a photo when it all shows up.

I can't wait to watch it.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I don't believe Vince will sell the company until he's unable to run it anymore. He gets off on running the company and basically lording over people, it feeds his ego and his need to control.

Cade on
    edited April 2011
    Does anyone remember Lance Cade's short run as the lackey for Jericho?

Your name just reminded me of that.

Also, I 100% agree with you.

THEPAIN73 on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Didn't Vince buy off the company from his dad in a scummy way or something? I vaguely remember reading that he pretty much forced his dad to sell, but as with most wrestling rumors/history I have no idea the validity of that.

Kyougu on
    edited April 2011
    Well, to my knowledge, the elder Vince knew he was dying so he sold the company to Jr. with two rules: Do not go national and take care of my boys. Vince Jr. did the second part. He took care of Monsoon, Skaaland, Calhoun and all the other guys. But the first part? Vince Jr. waited less than a year to expand. He signed Hogan from the AWA in 83, a year after buying the company, and started broadcasting and advertising nationally in 84. Vince Sr. would pass in May of 84, 10 months before the first Wrestlemania and just as his son was taking things national.

So a lot of the rumors about Vince Jr. being slimey come from the fact that he was the first guy to break the territories and a lot of people from the 70s and 80s still hate him for it. So they constantly try to undermine him.

JustinSane07 on
    edited April 2011
    I heard the same things.

Also anyone remember when Vince was a nice guy commentator and you had no idea he actually owned the damn company.

I remember learning that shortly before the whole Bret incident and it blew my mind.

Ah my early days online....

Cade on
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ok, I want to hear everyone's ideas for an APPLE shirt. I would like a vintage looking Tee, with the guys in Silhouette like Charlie's Angels. Santino would be sideways with the Cobra up.

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

edited April 2011
    Speaking of shirts, anyone notice a problem with TNA's newest RVD shirt?
    tnarvd.jpg

David_T on
    cu4c1c5yy0xr.png
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    That cannot be real.

I refuse to believe TNA is that incompetent.

Kyougu on
    edited April 2011
    HAHA

RDV!!!

*guitar riff*

THE SHOW FUCKIN WHOLE

THEPAIN73 on
  • SeolSeol Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Seol on
    edited April 2011
    I never thought it to be real.

But I wanted to believe.

THEPAIN73 on
    edited April 2011
    David_T on
    cu4c1c5yy0xr.png
    edited April 2011
    Your page is blocked due to a security policy that prohibits access to Category Personals & Dating

Noooooo

THEPAIN73 on
  • KreutzKreutz Blackwater Park, IARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    They fixed it already.

Kreutz on
    edited April 2011
    TNA sells a signed picture of RVD kicking...someone for 35 bucks.

I'd pay that much if it was him pinning Cena.

JustinSane07 on
  • SkittlebrauSkittlebrau Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    TNA sells a signed picture of RVD kicking...someone for 35 bucks.

I'd pay that much if it was him pinning Cena.

That's not just any someone... that's Matt Hardy!

Skittlebrau on
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Already taken down.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    We'll do great as a non-wrestling company. Look at the WBF, XFL, WWFNY, Smackdown Records, Titan Bikes, ICOPRO & WWE Films. #Kayfabe

Here's a link to a thing that might work for some of you.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
    edited April 2011
    WWE Films has turned a profit for them.

What the hell is ICOPRO?

JustinSane07 on
  • PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It was a line of bodybuilding supplements that probably caused more kidney damage than Ahmed Johnson.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    What the hell is ICOPRO?

Another failed Vince-venutre. It was a nutritional supplement company he founded shortly after the WBF debacle.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    We'll do great as a non-wrestling company. Look at the WBF, XFL, WWFNY, Smackdown Records, Titan Bikes, ICOPRO & WWE Films. #Kayfabe

I like Steve Austin, but if I meet him he's getting a folding chair to the skull for "What?"

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• MxOxRxRxIxSMxOxRxRxIxS Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    facetious wrote: »
    Vince must be a huge Tom of Finland fan.

(If you don't already know who that is, you'll probably not want to google it. Heads up.)
    Can't unsee.

MxOxRxRxIxS on
    Aww I'm so bad at this...
  • MxOxRxRxIxSMxOxRxRxIxS Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    KurnDerak wrote: »
    Also, someone give a brief explanation of what debt leveraging is.

Pretty much exactly what it says on the tin. The company will be taking out loans (probably through the issuance of corporate bonds) to fund operations in the hope that they generate enough additional revenue to pay back at least the interest on the loans.

So...paying their goddamn bills?

They are currently paying their goddamn bills out of cash on hand. They have a pile of cash underneath a throne that McMahon sits on, then peon's come in with buckets filled with money from merchandising, TV deals, gate receipts, PPV buys and pour it onto the pile. Then people who Vince owes money too come along and take cash from the pile.

McMahon wants a bigger throne and to do so he's going to contact a construction company to come in with a dumper truck full of cash and dump it under his throne. The McMahon is going to take that cash and pay a throne maker to make him a whopping great big serious throne that has nothing to do with wrestling and everything to do with drama and entertainment. The only trouble is that the construction company has left a great big hole in the ground next to the new throne. Now when the peon's come in with their (hopefully larger) buckets of money they will have to throw a portion of it down the hole before they dump it under the throne. Then in five to ten years their better be a pile of cash under the throne as big as the one the construction company dumped otherwise Vince will find he needs to break down his throne for parts and sell it off otherwise he might suffer an unfortunate "accident".

Is that a metaphor?

MxOxRxRxIxS on
    Aww I'm so bad at this...
    edited April 2011
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

I like Steve Austin, but if I meet him he's getting a folding chair to the skull for "What?"

WHAT?

Kagera on
  • KurnDerakKurnDerak Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Kagera wrote: »
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »

I like WHAT Steve Austin, WHAT but if I meet him WHAT he's getting WHAT a folding chair WHAT to the skull WHAT for "What?" WHAT

WHAT?

Fixed

KurnDerak on
    edited April 2011
    HWGih.png
    So much good stuff can be on there.

Not that I have much hope for them to pick the really good stuff.

Cade on
    edited April 2011
    Everyone but DDP and Goldberg on that cover are still wrestling.

JustinSane07 on
    edited April 2011
    Everyone but DDP and Goldberg on that cover are still wrestling.

Whatever Scott Hall is doing is hard to call wrestling..

Kagera on