As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mass Effect: Blue Öyster Cult was wrong.

• DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    there better be a decision where you can get him promoted to colonel.

Along with a White Tux alt.

Dragkonias on
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dragkonias wrote: »

ME3 appearance pack 1

includes spectacles and a bucket

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Evil WeevilEvil Weevil Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I hope Garrus's obsession over calibrations pays off in the finale.

Evil Weevil on
  • DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Alliance General: "Goddamn, the Reapers are attacking planet Macguffin! If we don't get our defense systems online all hope is lost!"

Alliance Marine: "Sir, we got them up...but...but the calibrations to the targeting systems are off. There's no one who could correct them before the Reapers touch down!"

Garrus: "Did someone say...calibrations?"

Dragkonias on
  • Evil WeevilEvil Weevil Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Alliance General: "Goddamn, the Reapers are attacking planet Macguffin! If we don't get our defense systems online all hope is lost!"

Alliance Marine: "Sir, we got them up...but...but the calibrations to the targeting systems are off. There's no one would could correct them before the Reapers touch down!"

Garrus: "Did someone say...calibrations?"

<3

Evil Weevil on
  • jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I hope Garrus's obsession over calibrations pays off in the finale.

Well they paid off in ME2.
    That thanix cannon blew the bejesus out of the Collector ship at a good range

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

ME3 appearance pack 1

One of his powers had better be Inferno Grenade.

"Extra crispy!"

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    OptimusZed wrote: »

ME3 appearance pack 1

One of his powers had better be Inferno Grenade.

"Extra crispy!"

:D<3

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
    edited April 2011
    Speaking of powers...I really wonder how they're going to handle that multiple evolution thing.

One thing I want is for some of the powers to be more visually striking when they evolve.

Like...Incinerate causes a napalm explosion when fully upgraded or something.

Another thought...they said that some of your powers from ME2 would carry over into ME3. So...does that mean that like...the fully evolved powers from ME2 could be a halfway point for the ME3 powers...

Dragkonias on
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Speaking of powers...I really wonder how they're going to handle that multiple evolution thing.

One thing I want is for some of the powers to be more visually striking when they evolve.

Another thought...they said that some of your powers from ME2 would carry over into ME3. So...does that mean that like...the fully evolved powers from ME2 could be a halfway point for the ME3 powers...

Even Heavier Charge. VanGod Shepard now charges thru walls, complete with Red Faction-engine destruction of structures.

Bobble on
    edited April 2011
    Bobble wrote: »

Even Heavier Charge. VanGod Shepard now charges thru walls, complete with Red Faction-engine destruction of structures.

YES

Heavy Charge > Freight Train Charge > The Unstoppable Force

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So, Mordin is currently in the maybe pile as far as squadmates go?

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    edited April 2011
    Pretty much.

That being said...Taky was teasing about some work he's doing and bitching about how it is a pain in the ass setting Mordin's plotstates if people didn't do his loyalty mission.

So...take that as you will.

*Edit: For anyone thinking this is a hot news thing or anything. I am not sure if this statement has any truth or is simply something said in jest. Just notifying people of it.

Dragkonias on
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

YES

Heavy Charge > Freight Train Charge > The Unstoppable Force

CHOO CHOO HERE COMES THE SHEPTRAIN

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Man there are some gold quotes here...top notch work guys.

This got me thinking, we need some Drink Names for this thread. Something that perfectly encapsulates the joy that is Mass Effect.

The Mass Effect!...Thread

4 Quads of Rincol
    Dash of Creepy Creme de Tali
    3 drops of -Tal Bitters
    Drop of Dox Funky Fanart
    Shot of AshleyMcHitlerSchlager
    Cut with a generous portion of some Priiiiizee JacobJoose

Mix Together Vigorously in a Cerberus Designed Cocktail Shaker
    Stand back after shaking as the concoction will burst into flames due to Design Flaw
    Strain into a Geth Cocktail Optical Unit and Garnish with a Monocle.

Shame and Failure

1 Part Batarian Ale, Uncut
    1 Part Cerberus Drive Coolant

Serve in reinforced container. Preferably near easily procurable funeral arrangements due to high rate of suicide or self destruction after imbibing this concoction.

ASSUMING DIRECT CONTROL...OF THIS BEVERAGE

1 cup slurrified yoomanity
    1 cup slurrified krogan
    1 cup slurrified asari
    1 cup slurrified turian

Shake vigorously and pump into cocktail reaper. Apply proper mass effect fields and watch the party begin! YOU KNOW THIS WILL HURT YOU!

The Plain Kaicob

1 Part 2% Skim Milk
    1 Part Kahlua
    Dash of Hershey's Syrup

Mix into a highball glass and drink. Remain unsatisfied.

Lets see what we can come up with!:lol:

Thegreatcow on
    edited April 2011
    I'm sure the Cerberus would probably have rat poison in it or something.

Dragkonias on
    edited April 2011
    You had me at "Garnish with a Monocle," which I am now stealing.

Bobble on
    edited April 2011
    i love "kaicob" that's just brilliant

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
  • ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hehe thanks folks lets see what else I can come up with here...

The Talimancer

3 Parts Quarian...."Fluids"
    1 Part Unstable Eezo
    1 Part Disinfected Simple Syrup
    1 Part Distilled Water

Combine all ingredients into an IV bag. Connect to coupling of your choice. Bathe in your shame.

The Bioware Forums

3 Parts Fear
    3 Parts Loathing
    1 Part Las Vegas
    6 parts Shame
    1 Gallon Everclear

Combine all ingredients into Fireproof Container and stir well. Punch Self in Face 3 Times. Light on fire. Retreat to shower for cleansing.

VANGUARD PUNCH!
    3 oz Stabilized Eezo
    4 quads of Rincol
    3 Shots of "...It's...Green..." brand Liquor
    1 Ejected Heatsink

Combine into a Titanium Re-inforced Container. Recommended to be enjoyed only by Biotics who have mastered Heavy Charge for maximum effect. Warning! Not safe for consumption around volaitile chemicals. May cause rash among lesser classes.

Thegreatcow on
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hehe thanks folks lets see what else I can come up with here...

VANGUARD PUNCH!
    3 oz Stabilized Eezo
    4 quads of Rincol
    3 Shots of "...It's...Green..." brand Liquor
    1 Ejected Heatsink

Combine into a Titanium Re-inforced Container. Recommended to be enjoyed only by Biotics who have mastered Heavy Charge for maximum effect. Warning! Not safe for consumption around volaitile chemicals. May cause rash among lesser classes.

Further warning:

Will cause death in 100% of non-Krogans.

(Vanguard Shepard is legally Krogan)

chiasaur11 on
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Make one for Conrad Verner!

Conrad Verner, Paragon Style

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
    edited April 2011
    Also, why isn't there a drink called the Genophage?

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So I was thinking that the reason Shepard fights Cerberus in ME3 even if she gave TIM the base is that she's trying to seize control of Cerberus resources, and TIM is resisting.

Think about it. Cerberus has all this money and influence, and people who gave TIM the base probably also preserved the Overlord project and did a lot of other "greater good" sorta things, so there's a ton of assets there that you know Shepard could use better than The Illusive "everyone died but we got some good data" Man.

I'd be willing to bet that they still have some rachni samples from ME1, for example, so a Renegade Shep could theoretically have rachni shocktroops even if the queen died. Just a thought.

I haven't seen the scans or read the article yet, but it sounds like ME3 is going in the direction I wanted, with the return of weapon mods and more limited roles for most of your previous squadmates. Does it say anything about whether the goddamn heat sinks still make you scrounge for ammo? Because that's my biggest pet peeve in ME2. Not the rebreather masks in hostile environments, not Tali or Garrus love scenes, the fucking Where's Waldo for clips after every fight was the worst.

Dracomicron on
  • jackisrealjackisreal Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The Genophage:

1 Bud Light Lime

jackisreal on
    edited April 2011
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    Also, why isn't there a drink called the Genophage?

It shall be done!

One Rad Verner

2 Parts Asari Honey Mead
    Dash of Red Sand
    Dash of Drell Saliva
    Dash of Turian..."Tissue"
    Top with Prepared Shirley Temple

Combine all ingredients into glass. Carefully back away from person imbibing this beverage as things will only go downhill from here.

WARNING! May cause loss of Higher and Lower Brain Functions. Illium is not responsible for the safety or decency of those who choose to imbibe this beverage.

Furious 'Phage

One Can of 4 Loko Chilled
    2 Tablespoons of "RincGel" (1 Tablespoon is equivalent to about 12 Quads of Condensed Rincol. Recommend preparing with Radiological Protective Gear)
    1 Cup Tonka Fuel
    4 Drops Kilix Blood
    1 Salarian Egg

Carefully combine ingredients into Corrosive resistant container.
    A full rebreather apparatus is recommended at this point due to fumes.
    Recommend only preparing this beverage with adequate ventilation or in outside location not near any open flames.
    Gently stir ingredients with Iridium Laced implement. Top with Salarian Egg as a garnish.

WARNING! May cause sterility in nearly every species except Vorcha, which results in Death.

Thegreatcow on
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    jackisreal wrote: »
    The Genophage:

1 Bud Light Lime

I lol'd :^:

Re: ME3, I'd like to see Dragon Age 2's conversation wheel utilized, of course keep the paragon/renegade interrupts.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    edited April 2011
    Just finished the Citadel-Ilos-Citadel-Sovereign run on my did everything canon Shep.

Still the greatest hour and a half in videogames.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    edited April 2011
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Just finished the Citadel-Ilos-Citadel-Sovereign run on my did everything canon Shep.

Still the greatest hour and a half in videogames.

yep. hopefully ME3 will match it.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
  • Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Bioware has an amazing track record with end games

I'm sure it'll be great

Dox the PI on
  • VicVic Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Working my way through my "canon" ME1 run. Are there any worthwhile sidequests that are suspected to have repercussions in ME3? I checked out the wiki page but most of the stuff mentioned seemed to be pretty minor.

Vic on
    edited April 2011
    Dox the PI wrote: »

I'm sure it'll be great

i dunno

the ending of ME2 had some great bits but it wasn't nearly as solid overall as ME1's conclusion

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    edited April 2011
    Working on my own canon run in ME1. Anyone recall how many levels Virmire->endgame is worth? Roughly? Like, if I want to make sure I hit 50 for the import, should I be 48 when I hit Virmire, or would 46 or 47 get it done?

Bobble on
  • Dox the PIDox the PI Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Working on my own canon run in ME1. Anyone recall how many levels Virmire->endgame is worth? Roughly? Like, if I want to make sure I hit 50 for the import, should I be 48 when I hit Virmire, or would 46 or 47 get it done?

You get ALOT of xp between Virmire and Saren so you should be fine

Dox the PI on
  • DarisDaris Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

I'm sure it'll be great

i dunno

the ending of ME2 had some great bits but it wasn't nearly as solid overall as ME1's conclusion

Kinda hard to top the ending of ME1. Just sayin'....

Daris on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

I'm sure it'll be great

i dunno

I'd argue otherwise.

The only blip with ME2s ending was the art design on the Hreaper. It looked too much like the T-1000.

Other than that, it was a solid half hour of gradually escalating drama and action with a mindblowing finale and incredible music. With genuine threat throughout. It felt like a suicide mission, and after two people died before we even crash landed, I was utterly convinced that more were going to bite it on the way. It didn't feel safe, or staged, it felt like you vs the world and you aren't guaranteed to win.

Is it as good as ME1? I don't think so. But it is comparable, and certainly not some gulf behind it.

But I do anticipate the one in ME3. It has to be amazing. It shouldn't end on a dour note.

The_Scarab on
  • DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    the me2 end run easily topped the me1 one by far, i cant believe this is even in question.

Deaderinred on
  • DHSDHS Chase lizards.. ...bark at donkeys..Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'd take 2 over 1 for the simple fact that ME1's combat is fucking batshit crazy broken by the time you get to the end. However, Saren had more charisma then Harbinger and the battle of the Citadel is a great cut-scene backdrop. Sovereign was so much cooler when he "Assumed Direct Control" too

DHS on
    "Grip 'em up, grip 'em, grip 'em good, said the Gryphon... to the pig."
    edited April 2011
    i'm just damn annoyed that the final boss was the fucking terminator

mecha-saren, for all his jumpy rocket-spammy bullshit, at least made more sense.

i'd have liked a battle where you face harbinger while he's riding some praetorian that you take out with the environment and such

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    And you fight him by getting on Grunt's shoulders and activating the jet pack integrated into his super-krogan armor.

Then you have a jousting duel in the air while inexplicably hexagonal platforms fall around you, which your team mates hop to and fro upon.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
    edited April 2011
    ME2 did some things better than ME1 for the endgame. The possibility of losing squadmates made it more tense, and the combat was better.

But for raw epicness, it's hard to top running up the side of the citadel and fighting Saren as the armada engages the reaper literally yards from you.

2 failed to capture that feeling of unabashed, nearly unbelievable heroism for me the way that ME1 did. Of course, ME2 felt a lot less atmospheric to me overall, so the ending falling short isn't surprising.

OptimusZed on