As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

What is Canadian culture, anyway?

Nova_CNova_C I have the needThe need for speedRegistered User regular
edited June 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
Please, for the love of god, can someone tell me what "Canadian culture" is?

Because I had a chat with my dad a couple weeks ago and he's angry that immigrants are coming in and not integrating into our culture. I asked him what Canadian culture was and he went on a tirade about how we're not telling people in Afghanistan what to do (WTF?)

As an aside, this whole conversation about 'them' (Anyone who isn't 'us' I guess) coming into Canada took me by surprise. My dad never appeared to be a racist before, but I have an easy culprit. A good friend of his is very racist, hates French Canadians, thinks rock 'n' roll is evil and assumes anyone who is young is irresponsible and lazy (I LOVE talking to this guy to hear the next stupid thing he spews).

Now, normally, I'd just leave this, but my best friend recently sent me a chain letter about what Australian parliament is saying (Xenophobic crap for the most part, although I would support some things if it wasn't framed in an 'us v them' mentality) and suggesting that Canada needs to do that to protect our culture. I asked him "Then tell me what Canadian culture is" and he hasn't responded.

So, even though I've lived here all my life, I love my country and believe in it, but what the FUCK is this 'Canadian culture' that's in danger from 'them'?

Nova_C on

• A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    From what I understand it's something about doughnuts, gravy and hockey. Possibly combinations thereof.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Also, snow and trees.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    From what I understand it's something about doughnuts, gravy and hockey. Possibly combinations thereof.

gravy and cheese. On our french fries.

BlazeFire on
  • Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    BlazeFire wrote: »

POUTINE!

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Enlightening! That actually sounds good seeing as I consider gravy to be it's own food group.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • HamjuHamju Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Not American.

Really, I've seen way too much evidence of Canadians simply defining themselves as "different from the US". Then, when you ask them how, they say, "Uhh... less guns and more poutine." Or something along those lines.

I like to think of Canada as a nice multicultural soup that absorbs all sorts of Asian, European and other influences into a nice tasty conglomeration that kinda leaves you with diarrhea.

Hamju on
    kekekesigshortercuzthinsacunt.jpg
  • SerpentSerpent Sometimes Vancouver, BC, sometimes Brisbane, QLDRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    other than maybe hockey, canadian culture is defined by its flexibility -- it is a 'soft' culture and rapidly changes based on current demographics.

To integrate into canadian culture, an immigrant only needs to accept that they live in a place where it is very likely that a large population will not share the same culture and background.

Serpent on
  • TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I don't really think he is pissed off at all the British and Americans sneaking into Canada to steal jobs and steal your benefits. The 'Culture' they are thinking of are pretty much slightly different flavours of western european society (or possibly northern european thinking about it, never quite sure what the germany/UK/scandinavia set is).

Tastyfish on
  • HamjuHamju Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Serpent wrote: »
    other than maybe hockey, canadian culture is defined by its flexibility -- it is a 'soft' culture and rapidly changes based on current demographics.
    Like Madonna.

Hamju on
    kekekesigshortercuzthinsacunt.jpg
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Tastyfish wrote: »
    I don't really think he is pissed off at all the British and Americans sneaking into Canada to steal jobs and steal your benefits. The 'Culture' they are thinking of are pretty much slightly different flavours of western european society (or possibly northern european thinking about it, never quite sure what the germany/UK/scandinavia set is).

My dad kept repeating the words 'us' and 'them'. I asked him to define who 'they' were and he wouldn't. I'm pretty sure 'us' was actually 'whites' and 'them' were 'non-whites'. So I'm actually really pissed at this friend of his.

Nova_C on
  • ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    America, but really not liking America.

Shinto on
    edited June 2007
    Enlightening! That actually sounds good seeing as I consider gravy to be it's own food group.

Also, if you want to try, add some bacon in there.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
  • saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Canadian culture used to be defined along the whole French-English axis and how that crazy duality was just so crazy. Now...I think it's really hard to say. The best thing I can come up with is the official line of "bilingual and multicultural", but that doesn't mean much in real terms.

I think it would be better to describe our culture by urban vs. rural. It just seems that if I leave the Fraser Valley/Nanaimo-Victoria area I run into what used to be 'canadian culture' - the moose hunting, dog-sledding, outdoor voyageurs that struck into the Northwest. It can be quite jarring, really, even when I'm still in my own province (Surrey vs. Keremeos vs. Sandspit). But when I go from, say, Vancouver to Calgary (or any other major Canadian city) it's like going from one part of town to another - different balance or mix of ethnicities/cultures, but the end result is largely the same, something that is distinct from the old, rural Canada that was dominant 40+ years ago.

I don't know for sure. It's hard to define...

But I would like to mention, in response to Shinto's post, that Canada (even english Canada) really is distinct from the US. The best comparison I can make is between Seattle and Vancouver - two very similar cities, in the same region of the world. But Vancouver is completely different in almost everyway from Seattle (except possibly when it comes to how much it rains). The people, the archiecture, the whole spirit of the city is distinct and separate. It's really jarring, too, because the differences, while seemingly major to me, aren't drastic - it's not like comparing Vancouver and Kabul or something like that, there are still very similar, very recognizable things - but just the way people go about the lives is so different...

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Saburbia wrote: »

POUTINE!

that word always sounds dirty to me

nexuscrawler on
    edited June 2007

POUTINE!

that word always sounds dirty to me

It's a plate full of poop with mayonaise and gravy.

Shinto on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited June 2007
    Shinto wrote: »
    So Canadians are Democrats, basically.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I heard that they put vinegar on their french fries.
    Sounds freakin' sweet.

Picardathon on
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Irond Will wrote: »

Basically. Except they are always polite.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
    edited June 2007

Why do you internalize their hateful propaganda Will?

Have they crushed your soul?

Shinto on
    edited June 2007
    Sounds freakin' sweet.

I've tried it a couple of times and I just don't get the appeal.

Shinto on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Sounds freakin' sweet.

That and we have Ketchup flavoured chips. At least...here in Ontario. Couldn't find a single one out west. :|

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    canucks arelike the middleground betwene Europe and the US. Just call it Europe Lite or America JR..

nexuscrawler on
    edited June 2007

Whoa Whoa Whoa....Nobody said anything about mayonaise. I'm out.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited June 2007
    Sounds freakin' sweet.
    Brits do this too. I picked it up when I lived over there and prefer it to catsup.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
    edited June 2007
    Aegis wrote: »
    Sounds freakin' sweet.

That and we have Ketchup flavoured chips. At least...here in Ontario. Couldn't find a single one out west. :|

I got some in Maine. Not a fan.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    All those stereotypical Canadianisms - "aboot", "hooowss it gooin eh?" "oohh yaa"

They are all true once you get outside of a major city.

Also, and this is probably true for other big countries (USA), but the regional differences are very noticeable. People from the Greater Toronto Area are pretty different from Northern Ontario, which in turn are different from the people of the Prairies, etc etc.

Also: being told you have a "Toronto" accent is weird. I don't have an accent, you do!

edit: accept =/ accent

Al_wat on
  • LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Sounds freakin' sweet.

We have Ketchup flavoured chips... I think I've even seen ketchup Doritos, but I might be making that memory up.

I love vinegar on my fries... if I must eat fries. Poutine has fries, gravy, and cheese curds. No mayo.

LaOs on
    edited June 2007
    I like my vinegar on my fries. They have to be the right kinda fries though - nice and thick like from a chip truck. McDonald's fries... not so much.

Al_wat on
    edited June 2007
    LaOs wrote: »
    Sounds freakin' sweet.

We have Ketchup flavoured chips... I think I've even seen ketchup Doritos, but I might be making that memory up.

I love vinegar on my fries... if I must eat fries. Poutine has fries, gravy, and cheese curds. No mayo.

Nope there are ketchup doritos. Us canadians like to experiment with our food. Hmmmm.

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    edited June 2007
    Al_wat wrote: »
    All those stereotypical Canadianisms - "aboot", "hooowss it gooin eh?" "oohh yaa"

The thing about "aboot" is that I've never heard it anywhere near sounding like "aboot." I'm from the Prairies, been to Ontario a bit, and spent more time in the Maritimes. We say about a bit different than Americans, but it's more because we pronounce the "U" in the word. We definitely pronounce our "U"'s, as I found out when my (at the time) girlfriend came up from New Zealand and would constantly giggle at us.

LaOs on
  • AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    People from the Greater Toronto Area are pretty different from Northern Ontario...

Yar, the main difference being, a vast number of people from the GTA think the Manitoba border starts at Sudbury.
    Sounds freakin' sweet.

Ah, well, I tried looking around Vancouver and people were giving me funny looks when I inquired about Ketchup flavoured chips. The same looks I get from some of my USA friends who never heard of them.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Sounds freakin' sweet.

Nope there are ketchup doritos. Us canadians like to experiment with our food. Hmmmm.

I've never seen a chip aisle WITHOUT ketchup chips. Ketchup Doritos are weird though. Like the Old Dutch ones, though. Roasted Chicken is the oddest chip flavor I've seen.

Nova_C on
    edited June 2007
    Sounds freakin' sweet.

I saw Lime Doritos in California when I was there in 2000. We're not alone in experimenting. I think they would be good, though.

LaOs on
  • The CheeseThe Cheese Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Whoa Whoa Whoa....Nobody said anything about mayonaise. I'm out.

He lies.

The Cheese on
    edited June 2007
    By "experiment" do you mean "slather with catsup, mayonnaise, gravy, or all three"? Because I think you do.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Sounds freakin' sweet.

Really? They're all over the place in the BC. Personally not a big fan of the ketchup chips. Vinegar on fries is good though.

Canadian Culture, like most Canadian things is vague and hard to define. We're heavily influenced by the US of course, but we're not the same, and any statement that we're identical is based on a pretty shallow understanding of the two countries. We've got many things in common, but we have different histories and different priorities.

In relation to immigration, your friend is probably angry about people coming to the country and not making an effort to integrate but staying in self containted ethnic communities. I'm somewhat sympathetic to that viewpoint, but its also a viewpoint thats often latched onto by racists.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
    edited June 2007
    People from the Greater Toronto Area are pretty different from Northern Ontario...

Yar, the main difference being, a vast number of people from the GTA think the Manitoba border starts at Sudbury.

Thats cause it does ;-)

To continue with the regional differences thing one thing I've noticed from recently driving from Toronto to Edmonton is the differences in driving habits.

On the highways in Toronto, the speed limit is 100 kph but most people will cruise at about 120. If you are in the fast lane at 120, however, people WILL ride your ass. More people in general around Toronto speed.

Once I left that general area I found more people went the speed limit. Even in the Prairies where the speed limit is often 110 kph, people will only go 110. If there was a highway with a limit of 110 in Toronto people would go 150.

I kind of like it better this way though. Less idiots on the road.

Al_wat on
  • TheCrumblyCrackerTheCrumblyCracker Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Drop me in a Northern US town and the only thing that I would notice would be change in local sports teams, change in accents, and of course my money being worth .95 cents.

TheCrumblyCracker on
  • CrimsonmonkeyCrimsonmonkey Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    On the #1, usually going 10 kph faster than the limit is usual in the prairies. On the other highways you can really go as fast as you want, but I would be more worried about deer jumping in front your car than cops.

Crimsonmonkey on
    edited June 2007
    By "experiment" do you mean "slather with catsup, mayonnaise, gravy, or all three"? Because I think you do.

We have so many unique and different flavours in chips where in the US I usually just see BBQ, plain and sour cream and onion.

Look Out it's Sabs! on