The holiday hangout will go online tomorrow! If there's anything in the regular subforums that you're going to want to access over the holidays, copy it now while it's still accessible.
Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Hotel Discussion Thread and Poll

Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Moderator mod
edited July 2011 in PAX Archive
Now that everything is appropriately launched, here's an appropriate hotel discussion thread.

PAX Prime Hotels are LIVE!
Book yours now at the PAX Travel Desk. Here are the details of the hotels, vote in the poll for where you are staying and discuss. If you're looking for a place to stay, use the hotel discussion thread sticky.

Crowne Plaza Seattle
1113 Sixth Avenue
(2.5 blocks to Event Location)

Fairmont Olympic Hotel
411 UNIVERSITY ST
(4.0 blocks to Event Location)

Grand Hyatt Seattle
721 Pine Street
(1.0 blocks to Event Location)

Hilton Seattle
1301 6th Avenue
(1.0 blocks to Event Location)

Homewood Suites Convention Center
1011 Pike Street
(1.0 blocks to Event Location)

Hotel Max Seattle
620 STEWART STREET
(5.0 blocks to Event Location)

Hyatt at Olive 8
1635 8th Avenue
(3.0 blocks to Event Location)

Paramount Hotel
724 Pine Street
(1.0 blocks to Event Location)

Red Lion Hotel on Fifth Avenue
1415 5th Avenue
(2.0 blocks to Event Location)

Sheraton Seattle Hotel & Towers
1400 Sixth Avenue
(1.0 blocks to Event Location)

The Westin Seattle
1900 FIFTH AVENUE
(5.0 blocks to Event Location)

Moe Fwacky on
«134567

Posts

  • NeuralLinkNeuralLink Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I stayed at the Red Lion last year. My experience was great and I already bought my room for this year.

  • zerzhulzerzhul Old General Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2011
  • ptriz21_teamkillptriz21_teamkill Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Stayed at Executive Pacific, and Crowne Plaza with Crowne being much nicer. Staying at Sheraton this year, excited to be so close the convention center.

    3DS: 3325-2059-2105
  • contrefaitcontrefait Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    yay Homewood. Sheraton is also good but Homewood is nicer I think.

    PAX Prime 2014 Checklist
    Passes: ▬ Hotel: ▬ Flight: ▬ Buttons:
  • ExideExide Registered User
    edited April 2011
    I went to grab a room at the Sheraton again and see that there are no rooms available through the official PAX third-party site. I would still like to get a room there but need to look at some alternatives. How is the Hilton?

    EDIT: Nevermind. I refreshed and now it is listed.

  • ptriz21_teamkillptriz21_teamkill Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    contrefait wrote: »
    yay Homewood. Sheraton is also good but Homewood is nicer I think.

    Is this because of the kitchenette and living area etc? Or is it just nicer in general? Personally, all I need is a place to sleep and shower.

    3DS: 3325-2059-2105
  • contrefaitcontrefait Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    contrefait wrote: »
    yay Homewood. Sheraton is also good but Homewood is nicer I think.

    Is this because of the kitchenette and living area etc? Or is it just nicer in general? Personally, all I need is a place to sleep and shower.

    Yeah, the kitchenette and separate living area, etc.. are my main reasons for liking it more. Also, the distance is not all that much than the Sheraton. The uphill kinda sucks but you can cut through the freeway park and cut most of that out.

    PAX Prime 2014 Checklist
    Passes: ▬ Hotel: ▬ Flight: ▬ Buttons:
  • zerzhulzerzhul Old General Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2011
    Exide wrote: »
    I went to grab a room at the Sheraton again and see that there are no rooms available through the official PAX third-party site.

    I would still like to get a room there but need to look at some alternatives. How is the Hilton?

    there are still tons of rooms available at the Sheraton for thursday, friday, and saturday nights. It likely depends on what days you need, as they are apparently out of rooms for sunday night.

    After you do your search you can click on a link near the top that says "view entire block" and it will give you the openings for each hotel.

  • Cerrato0426Cerrato0426 Registered User
    edited April 2011
    I love everything about Homewood. The kitchenette, the size of the rooms, the free breakfast, the staff, etc. Booked 2 rooms for my group.

  • ExideExide Registered User
    edited April 2011
    zerzhul wrote: »
    there are still tons of rooms available at the Sheraton for thursday, friday, and saturday nights. It likely depends on what days you need, as they are apparently out of rooms for sunday night.

    Yep. I left on Sunday last time and didn't like being rushed. Plus I already have my travel booked for departure on Monday :p
    zerzhul wrote: »
    After you do your search you can click on a link near the top that says "view entire block" and it will give you the openings for each hotel.

    Thanks for the tip!

  • thegh0ststhegh0sts Sydney, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    damn it! now i better book a 3-day pass!

    EDIT: Done! time to go talk to my travel agent.

    Next PAX: TBA
    Previous PAXs: PAX Prime 2011, PAX AUS 2013
  • KjeldorKjeldor Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    damn, was going to stay at the sheraton again, but they're already out of 2 bed rooms for sunday night. That REALLY sucks.

    i guess i'll be staying at the crowne plaza instead.

  • StupidStupid Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The number of rroms set aside for the PAX block seems to be extremely small. When I made my reservation today (at Homewood Suites), the rooms that the CSR was trying to reserve for me were snatched up by someone else TWICE. While I was on the phone!! Luckily, at the end of the call I ended up with a nice block from Wednesday through Monday for the PAX rate.

    We stayed at the Homewood last year and we'll never go back to a "regular" hotel again. Having access to the kitchenette - and being only 6 blocks from a supermarket - probably saved us $100 in food costs over the weekend. The morning brunch wasn't great, but it was a damn sight better than coffee and a packaged pastry loaded with partially hydrogenated soybean oils.

    fss.png
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Moderator mod
    edited April 2011
    Not only is the homewood close to a supermarket, but they give free shuttle rides to and from it.

  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    People who booked at the homewood: FYI, we ate NOT getting a suite for the pax rate. It's a studio (no separate living area) with a kitchenette. So please don't be shocked when you arrive and it's not exactly ad you expected.

    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • ColdbrewColdbrew PAX Community DVD Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Homewood seems to be booked full already, so I just snagged a room at the Sheraton, single bed because double was apparently already booked there too. They just went up today right? I've never seen rooms go this fast before, damn...

    Also looks like the Sheraton is full now too, it's not showing up on the list anyway.

    ForumBanner1_zpsdb9ed925.png
  • Cuddly AardvarkCuddly Aardvark Registered User
    edited April 2011
    This is my first year going to Pax Prime. I chose the Sheraton because it was the closest. I made a request to be on the lowest floor as possible because I have a fear of elevators, hopefully they honor it. So we'll see how that goes. Has anyone had a similar situation? Did they atleast try there best to do it?

    I'll probably check out the location of the Homewood, hearing about the fridge sounds pretty useful. The free internet (Compared to $10 per night at the Sheraton) is also nice.

  • AltDeleteAltDelete Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    We're booked for 2 at the Olive 8! There's a great spa, a saltwater pool, and whole place is just beautiful.

  • zerzhulzerzhul Old General Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2011
    Coldbrew wrote: »
    Homewood seems to be booked full already, so I just snagged a room at the Sheraton, single bed because double was apparently already booked there too. They just went up today right? I've never seen rooms go this fast before, damn...

    Also looks like the Sheraton is full now too, it's not showing up on the list anyway.

    hey I get to quote myself on the SAME PAGE. Just because the hotel doesn't show up for your date does not mean it is full, make sure to check the entire block before declaring "full" because people will read your comment and go OMG FULL.
    zerzhul wrote: »
    there are still tons of rooms available at the Sheraton for thursday, friday, and saturday nights. It likely depends on what days you need, as they are apparently out of rooms for sunday night.

    After you do your search you can click on a link near the top that says "view entire block" and it will give you the openings for each hotel.

  • KjeldorKjeldor Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    definitely gonna keep watching the site to see if they add more sunday night rooms at the sheraton. seems really bizzare that there are tons of rooms for fri/sat nights, but nothing for sunday. Probably losing them more business than anything, as people go to other hotels instead.

  • itchbayitchbay Self-Rescuing Princess Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    SmallLady wrote: »
    People who booked at the homewood: FYI, we ate NOT getting a suite for the pax rate. It's a studio (no separate living area) with a kitchenette. So please don't be shocked when you arrive and it's not exactly ad you expected.

    We got a one-bedroom suite at a PAX rate. It has a bedroom and a pull-out couch, perfect for two couples or however you like to divide up your sleeping/bedroom activities. :) No judgments.

    We also made sure to call them rather than book online, and we got the PAX rate for the whole time we're there, but I hear that's not been everyone's experience. But it can't hurt to ask, right?

    I'm so excited, I'm already secretly planning menus and parties. Although, I suspect that again this year, we'll all be too tired to much more than sleep and eat.

    The rest of our tribe is staying there too, though I don't know if they've voted in this poll. We'll likely have three rooms there.

    Not *that* kind of princess.
  • GeeCeeGeeCee Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    itchbay wrote: »
    SmallLady wrote: »
    People who booked at the homewood: FYI, we ate NOT getting a suite for the pax rate. It's a studio (no separate living area) with a kitchenette. So please don't be shocked when you arrive and it's not exactly ad you expected.

    We got a one-bedroom suite at a PAX rate. It has a bedroom and a pull-out couch, perfect for two couples or however you like to divide up your sleeping/bedroom activities. :) No judgments.

    We also made sure to call them rather than book online, and we got the PAX rate for the whole time we're there, but I hear that's not been everyone's experience. But it can't hurt to ask, right?

    I'm so excited, I'm already secretly planning menus and parties. Although, I suspect that again this year, we'll all be too tired to much more than sleep and eat.

    The rest of our tribe is staying there too, though I don't know if they've voted in this poll. We'll likely have three rooms there.

    I just snagged one of the last Homewood rooms, but it seems to be already sold out for the 25th. :( Did you call the hotel directly or did you call OnPeak?

  • Cerrato0426Cerrato0426 Registered User
    edited April 2011
    SmallLady wrote: »
    People who booked at the homewood: FYI, we ate NOT getting a suite for the pax rate. It's a studio (no separate living area) with a kitchenette. So please don't be shocked when you arrive and it's not exactly ad you expected.

    I've stayed in both rooms over the last couple PAXes. The smaller room is still adequate and doesn't alter my choice to stay at Homewood. We fit 6 people in the smaller sized room last year and we were comfortable. This year I booked 2 rooms because we are adding a person and because with this many people the cost is affordable. My first PAX we stayed in one of the corner suites and we were shocked at how big it was. It's too bad we won't have a suite but Homewood is still an awesome hotel.

  • itchbayitchbay Self-Rescuing Princess Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    GeeCee wrote: »
    I just snagged one of the last Homewood rooms, but it seems to be already sold out for the 25th. :( Did you call the hotel directly or did you call OnPeak?
    Called the hotel and they made me call OnPeak. 866-220-9473

    I dunno if we got in just in time, or what. But my personal policy is to always ask. If you don't ask, the answer is automatically "no."

    Not *that* kind of princess.
  • GeeCeeGeeCee Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    itchbay wrote: »
    GeeCee wrote: »
    I just snagged one of the last Homewood rooms, but it seems to be already sold out for the 25th. :( Did you call the hotel directly or did you call OnPeak?
    Called the hotel and they made me call OnPeak. 866-220-9473

    I dunno if we got in just in time, or what. But my personal policy is to always ask. If you don't ask, the answer is automatically "no."

    OIC, thanks. Unfortunate OnPeak is closed for the weekend so I guess I'll email them for now.

  • zerzhulzerzhul Old General Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2011
    itchbay wrote: »
    GeeCee wrote: »
    I just snagged one of the last Homewood rooms, but it seems to be already sold out for the 25th. :( Did you call the hotel directly or did you call OnPeak?
    Called the hotel and they made me call OnPeak. 866-220-9473

    I dunno if we got in just in time, or what. But my personal policy is to always ask. If you don't ask, the answer is automatically "no."

    That's fantastic and amazing information. I'll be calling them first thing Monday morning. I just tried, and their hours are M-F 8am-5pm Central Time

  • GeeCeeGeeCee Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Any reviews of the sleeper sofas at the Homewood? :)

  • ColdbrewColdbrew PAX Community DVD Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    My bad zerzhul. Looks like Homewood is still out of rooms for Thursday and Sunday nights, but Friday-Saturday is still open.

    ForumBanner1_zpsdb9ed925.png
  • itchbayitchbay Self-Rescuing Princess Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    GeeCee wrote: »
    Any reviews of the sleeper sofas at the Homewood? :)

    We won the coin toss and got the bedroom last year. But I didn't hear any complaints about the pull out bed.

    That said, by the end of each very very full day of gaming, standing in line, walking, etc., I would have fallen asleep on the floor if I had to.

    Over the years, we've stayed at different hotels around the area, and they all have their pros and cons. Homewood works for us because we have a group of people staying there, and typically cook "family dinners" already. We figure the money we save on eating out is worth it. Plus it's quite close. We've have bigger rooms at other hotels, but after a long day, a 10 block walk is a real pain.

    Not *that* kind of princess.
  • theansanametheansaname Registered User
    edited April 2011
    Homewood is filled out. :x I'm gonna miss the free breakfast in the morning and the spacious rooms. They do have some top end suites for 270ish a night.

    Will be staying at Crowne Plaza.

  • CirdanCirdan Registered User
    edited April 2011
    Hey guys, I booked a room at the Sheraton, my question is how do I get to/from the airport to/from the hotel? Their website doesn't indicate a shuttle or anything...does that mean I'll have to get a taxi? This is my first time going to PAX, and my first time traveling out of the state on my own so please forgive me :?

  • VinterVinter Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Im thinking of going to PAX for the first time this year, Red Lion looks good, any other good places near PAX?

    The building was on fire, and it wasn't my fault.

    Xbox GT: Master Vinter Steam: Vinter PSN: VinterM 3DS: 4699-5853-7381
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Moderator mod
    edited April 2011
    Cirdan wrote: »
    Hey guys, I booked a room at the Sheraton, my question is how do I get to/from the airport to/from the hotel? Their website doesn't indicate a shuttle or anything...does that mean I'll have to get a taxi? This is my first time going to PAX, and my first time traveling out of the state on my own so please forgive me :?

    If you're getting in before midnight (I think), take the light rail. It runs the from the airport to the Westlake center (a few blocks from the Sheraton) for $2.50. A taxi or shuttle will run you about $40, so if you're getting in too late for the light rail, then you're best splitting that cost with others if you can.

  • CirdanCirdan Registered User
    edited April 2011
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Cirdan wrote: »
    Hey guys, I booked a room at the Sheraton, my question is how do I get to/from the airport to/from the hotel? Their website doesn't indicate a shuttle or anything...does that mean I'll have to get a taxi? This is my first time going to PAX, and my first time traveling out of the state on my own so please forgive me :?

    If you're getting in before midnight (I think), take the light rail. It runs the from the airport to the Westlake center (a few blocks from the Sheraton) for $2.50. A taxi or shuttle will run you about $40, so if you're getting in too late for the light rail, then you're best splitting that cost with others if you can.

    Awesome! I plan on getting there in the afternoon, so I'll take the light rail. Thanks for the help!

  • Ghola DuncanGhola Duncan Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It will be the Sheraton for my wife and myself...and the Travelling Frog named Waffle. Some of you might have gotten your picture taken with him last year...he will be back =)

  • parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    There are no Thursday-Monday rooms at the Sheraton, Grand Hyatt, Homewood... All of my go to hotels due to proximity to the event (me being in a wheelchair) ...

    Not even one day and 3 hotels sell out ? Are there like no rooms this year compared to last year?

  • Ghola DuncanGhola Duncan Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    it seems that the Sheraton and Grand Hyatt are only sold out on sunday night, so that is the reason the block is unavailable. =(

  • ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    Cirdan wrote: »
    Hey guys, I booked a room at the Sheraton, my question is how do I get to/from the airport to/from the hotel? Their website doesn't indicate a shuttle or anything...does that mean I'll have to get a taxi? This is my first time going to PAX, and my first time traveling out of the state on my own so please forgive me :?

    If you're getting in before midnight (I think), take the light rail. It runs the from the airport to the Westlake center (a few blocks from the Sheraton) for $2.50. A taxi or shuttle will run you about $40, so if you're getting in too late for the light rail, then you're best splitting that cost with others if you can.

    The shuttle is only $25 (so $20 more than light rail) round trip. This might be a good deal since it would be a faster ride (light rail is listed as 55 mins on google maps) less stops etc. Just depends how frugal you are trying to be.

    BTW their transportation info is listed here: http://www.starwoodhotels.com/sheraton/property/area/transportation.html?propertyID=460

    Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!
  • ElmoFuntzElmoFuntz Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Vinter wrote: »
    Im thinking of going to PAX for the first time this year, Red Lion looks good, any other good places near PAX?

    Red lion is good, some friends stay there every year but I find I like a closer place because you get so much SWAG it's nice to be able to drop it off and return quickly. I stayed at the Hilton last year (Sheraton was sold out) it was nice and convenient. One nice feature they have is they are connected to the convention center via an underground walkway. This year I managed to get the Sheraton which is basically like staying in PAX for distance :P

    Go for the eyes Boo, GO FOR THE EYES!
  • KjeldorKjeldor Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    it seems that the Sheraton and Grand Hyatt are only sold out on sunday night, so that is the reason the block is unavailable. =(

    i asked Official_PAX on twitter if they can look into getting more rooms for sunday night (at the sheraton at least), said they'll look into it and check back tuesday. hopeful.

«134567
Sign In or Register to comment.