As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Paper? That's like a baby's toy! [eReaders]

• Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    MyDcmbr wrote: »
    I just wonder what kind of ads.

Oh you you, Subway.

Eat fresh!

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hey guys, I've been hearing ereaders are doing more and more web integration and some are getting browsers apparently?

What the shit?

The Nook has had a browser since... geez update #1 irc.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Even the B&W nook? For realsies?

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Even the B&W nook? For realsies?

Yep.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    The Kindle had a browser from day 1 as well.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Quite tempted to try to poast from my KIII but I hate gridded QWERTY keyboards, so no.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    There are hacks out there to change the screensavers on your device.

wouldn't surprise me if the ad protection got circumvented.

Alegis on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    $25 doesn't seem enough of a discount, possibly they realise that such adverts would be quickly removed by many users?

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    $25 doesn't seem enough of a discount, possibly they realise that such adverts would be quickly removed by many users?

It doesn't seem like enough of a discount for something you'll barely ever see?

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    I'm sure they're just experimenting with the market. It doesn't cost them any more to offer the choice, and they get valuable research data on how customers react.

This reminds me of the journalist who ran into a high-up Amazon guy at some function, and trotted out his pet theory: Kindle prices have been falling at a very regular, graph-like, plot-able rate since they were released. He pointed out that, if the trend continues, Kindles would be $0 by such and such date. The exec just smiled and said, "Ah, you noticed that, did you?"

I do think they'll be free eventually. With their volume, they can't be that expensive to make, and it'll get cheaper. Experimenting with ad-supported models makes a lot of sense, given that.

Edit: more likely, 3G and non-ad models will still cost something. The $0 model will probably require some buy-in... like, maybe, $20 which you get back as Kindle store credit, or some such deal. No idea how far off this would be. I don't remember the date the journalist speculated.

gilrain on
  • Options
    JHunzJHunz Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    $25 seems like a decent price cut for an ad-supported Kindle if the ads are only on the screensaver and home screen. I wouldn't take a Kindle for free that had ads when I was actually reading a book, but considering how little time I actually spend on the Home screen...

JHunz on
    bunny.gif Gamertag: JHunz. R.I.P. Mygamercard.net bunny.gif
  • Options
    JollusJollus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    $25 seems like an okay discount, but it is also so minor that I would just pay for the ad free version.

If there was some other benefit, like Kindle store discounts or something, it would be a more interesting offer.

Jollus on
  • Options
    GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'd probably opt in to ads if I got a discount on my Prime membership.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B003DZ165W/ref=dp_olp_used?t=slicinc-20&tag=slicinc-20&ie=UTF8&m=A2L77EE7U53NWQ&qid=1300996674&sr=1-1&condition=used

So apparently amazon warehouse deals has some refurbished lighted covers for $15. I'd jump on that in a second if I had a 3 instead of a 2

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Today's new Penny Arcade comic that's highly relevant:

1249830283_BNzAT-L.jpg

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    It's amusing, but without the news post, I can't figure out if they're using hyperbole, or if they're just uninformed.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The newspost is up now so go figure it out. :P

I'd say hyperbole.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Can anyone here who uses Calibre for managing your digital collection give me a recommendation and an overview of its features?

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Question, do I buy a Kindle today or do I wait? When do you guys think another model will come out? I'm looking at a lot of free time in the near future, summer vacation and all, and a kindle would be totally awesome and eventually save me money on books.

Also, how often do you guys use the 3g support?

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Not sure about the first question, but I have a wireless only Kindle, and I have never been in a situation where I was like "damn, if only I had 3G."

If you are in an area where there aren't a lot of hotspots, I'd think about getting the 3G version, otherwise, I'd say it's not really needed (especially if you have a smartphone, whose browser is leaps and bounds better than the albeit neat kindle one).

Pirusu on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Oh right, I have a smartphone. Haha, duh. What would you guys suggest for cases? Kinda don't want to spend 60 bucks on a case with a book light in it.

TheLawinator on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Can anyone here who uses Calibre for managing your digital collection give me a recommendation and an overview of its features?

it's free. and essential.

It also has a website
    http://calibre-ebook.com/about

Can't think of a reason not to download really unless you never need conversions.

Alegis on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Alegis wrote: »

it's free. and essential.

It also has a website
    http://calibre-ebook.com/about

Can't think of a reason not to download really unless you never need conversions.

Yeah, basically... if you buy everything from the Kindle Store, you don't need anything. If you get your books from any other source, you should use Calibre. I will say its UI is awful. Not unusable, just ugly and sort of cumbersome.

gilrain on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    and a kindle would be totally awesome and eventually save me money on books.

Hahahah

You can thank Steve Jobs for telling publishers, "Why yes, you can sell ebooks at paperback prices- never mind that troublesome Amazon."

Girl who kicked the hornets nest: Kindle $11.99, Hardcover $11.89.
    The Lost Symbol: Kindle $9.99, Paperback $9.99.
    Eat Pray Love: Kindle $12.99, Paperback $7.17.
    Lone Survivor: Kindle $9.99, Paperback $9.40.

Granted, you might not want to read all of these, but this is just a handful from the New York Times Best Sellers list. Its a disturbing trend seeing as publishers are actually making more money off of ebooks since ebooks cut out the whole publishing part and kept the pricetag the same. The majority of other books are a dollar or two off though. Still, I hate the idea of paying a premium for technology meant to make things cheaper.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    and a kindle would be totally awesome and eventually save me money on books.

Hahahah

You can thank Steve Jobs for telling publishers, "Why yes, you can sell ebooks at paperback prices- never mind that troublesome Amazon."

Girl who kicked the hornets nest: Kindle $11.99, Hardcover $11.89.
    The Lost Symbol: Kindle $9.99, Paperback $9.99.
    Eat Pray Love: Kindle $12.99, Paperback $7.17.
    Lone Survivor: Kindle $9.99, Paperback $9.40.

Granted, you might not want to read all of these, but this is just a handful from the New York Times Best Sellers list. Its a disturbing trend seeing as publishers are actually making more money off of ebooks since ebooks cut out the whole publishing part and kept the pricetag the same. The majority of other books are a dollar or two off though. Still, I hate the idea of paying a premium for technology meant to make things cheaper.

Well, books from authors that I like are two to four dollars off. I also have the added benefit of needing less shelves for books I'm probably not going to read again!

TheLawinator on
  • Options
    EvilOtakuEvilOtaku Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, the price of ebooks is what kept me from getting a Kindle for years. Shelf space is what ultimately drove me to ebooks.

That being said there are tons of free public domain books out there that I would have otherwise paid Borders/B&N for.

EvilOtaku on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I find $1.00 Kindle ebooks all the time.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Never mind the hundreds of thousands of classics that can be had for free from places like Project Gutenberg.

E: In fact, we should have a list of places to get books that aren't <proprietary store goes here> along with alternative library management software in the OP or something.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Oh right, I have a smartphone. Haha, duh. What would you guys suggest for cases? Kinda don't want to spend 60 bucks on a case with a book light in it.

I use a bubble envelope for mine. The Amazon leather non-lit case was brilliant until I realized it was causing daily crashes and causing my battery to drain in days rather than weeks. One $60 refund later, I decided to spend that on books rather than a case and went the shipping envelope route. I couldn't be happier with it - very protective and has the added anti-theft benefit of making your expensive ebook reading device appear to be a tattered letter.

Dark Moon on
    3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    The lighted case is a rip off, but it is also very, very nice. The light is extremely helpful for reading in bed, plane slights at night, or even just for a little extra brightmess if you want to take off your glasses or whatever. It's a very sleek case, with high production value, and it has that great leather smell... which actually does improve the reading experience, in my opinion.

It's a rip off. I haven't regretted it. :P

gilrain on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Question, do I buy a Kindle today or do I wait? When do you guys think another model will come out? I'm looking at a lot of free time in the near future, summer vacation and all, and a kindle would be totally awesome and eventually save me money on books.

I don't use the 3G support often, but it's invaluable when I do use it. I'll never buy a wifi only version, as long as 3G is an option.

As to your first question, they seem to update the Kindle approximately every year and a half. The Kindle came out 11/07, the Kindle 2 in 02/09 (15 months later), and the Kindle 3 in 08/10 (16 months later).

If this trend continues, I wouldn't expect to see a new model until Christmas at the earliest. We'll probably see a price drop sometime this summer though, since it's been a while since the last one.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    JHunzJHunz Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

I don't use the 3G support often, but it's invaluable when I do use it. I'll never buy a wifi only version, as long as 3G is an option.

As to your first question, they seem to update the Kindle approximately every year and a half. The Kindle came out 11/07, the Kindle 2 in 02/09 (15 months later), and the Kindle 3 in 08/10 (16 months later).

If this trend continues, I wouldn't expect to see a new model until Christmas at the earliest. We'll probably see a price drop sometime this summer though, since it's been a while since the last one.

I don't know, the $25 off ad-supported Kindle might be the price drop.

JHunz on
    bunny.gif Gamertag: JHunz. R.I.P. Mygamercard.net bunny.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Has Amazon ever said anything about allowing people to use their own screensavers? Not on the ad one, obviously.

TheLawinator on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Has Amazon ever said anything about allowing people to use their own screensavers? Not on the ad one, obviously.

You're but a 5 minute jailbreak away. Doesn't void the warranty, either - Amazon has all but officially endorsed it.

Dark Moon on
  • Options
    envygreenenvygreen Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    anyone know good places that track sales for ebooks? for example, the first iain m banks culture novel, consider phlebas is on sale for $0.99 right now, which made me extremely happy. if i'd missed it, i would have been very unhappy. finding someone or some place that's already tracking these would be excellent.

envygreen on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Spoit wrote: »
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B003DZ165W/ref=dp_olp_used?t=slicinc-20&tag=slicinc-20&ie=UTF8&m=A2L77EE7U53NWQ&qid=1300996674&sr=1-1&condition=used

So apparently amazon warehouse deals has some refurbished lighted covers for $15. I'd jump on that in a second if I had a 3 instead of a 2

You are a beautiful person. Like-new lit chocolate brown cover for $35 now on its way to me. A thousand hugs for pointing this out.

Dark Moon on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dark Moon wrote: »

You are a beautiful person. Like-new lit chocolate brown cover for $35 now on its way to me. A thousand hugs for pointing this out.
    Everyone wanting a cover should jump on this. If I didn't have one already I'd be all over it. Seriously, these covers are the best.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Dark Moon wrote: »

Everyone wanting a cover should jump on this. If I didn't have one already I'd be all over it. Seriously, these covers are the best.

I would but I'm still waiting to get an Oberon cover.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Has anybody else noticed that the refresh time of their eReader screen is temperature dependent? Sitting outside in the sun on a hot day seems to increase the page turn time from "slight flicker of black" to "can see it fading between transitions".

Now, I know what you're all thinking. Should I keep it in the freezer? The answer is: maybe.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule