As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Western Animation thread

• LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    What if Space Jam had a sequel?

True story: for years, WB execs kicked around the idea of doing Space Jam again, only with a different sport.

That sport? NASCAR.

I think there was also a pro wrestling-based Loony Tunes idea for a while.

Didn't they make that, and call it "Ready to Rumble?"
    Space Jam is the perfect title, what would you call a wrestling Looney Tunes movie
    Space Slam.
    GR_Zombie wrote: »
    Space Slam obviously.

e: DAMMIT

...well, I can see we're clearly all on the same page here.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    There seems to be a lot of action-oriented cartoons and comedy cartoons aimed at adults, but are there any good cartoons that hit more psychological notes? Or is there just not enough of a market for cartoons for grownups that aren't comedies?
    In most cases you have to look at the European studios for those.
    edit: This is one of the recent French ones.
    The Illusionist

That is beautiful.

Is it weird that it reminds me of the "Broken Sword" adventure games? The first two titles at least.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The Illusionist is a visual marvel, but lacking substance.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah it was quite boring and just plain repulsive at times. I mean I don't really want to be watching a heartwarming cartoon that has a clown trying to hang himself.

DanHibiki on
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It barely has any plot (I liked what little was there, mind you) and the characters are rather flat. As a life-action movie though (which was the original plan) it would have sucked.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I think that's one of the problems when it comes to animated films. Sometimes a movie is just not that great, but when its animated it gets the usual crowd defending it to the death simply because it is animated. It is their ultimate, bullet-proof arguement they always fall back on.

Nobody here is doing that, this is just from personal experiences.

Godfather on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    not to say that's a special case for animation. people defend authors, companies, brands, whatever. but yeah I see your point.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Godfather wrote: »
    I think that's one of the problems when it comes to animated films. Sometimes a movie is just not that great, but when its animated it gets the usual crowd defending it to the death simply because it is animated. It is their ultimate, bullet-proof arguement they always fall back on.

I think the case here isn't "because it's animated," but "because it's an indie animated movie." You don't see many people defending, say, Mars Needs Moms. I think it's because so much of animated movies are commercialized, Hollywoodized and Dreamworks-ized, anything that tries to be different can be seen as a breath of fresh air, even if the final product isn't that great.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011

I think the case here isn't "because it's animated," but "because it's an indie animated movie." You don't see many people defending, say, Mars Needs Moms. I think it's because so much of animated movies are commercialized, Hollywoodized and Dreamworks-ized, anything that tries to be different can be seen as a breath of fresh air, even if the final product isn't that great.

You see this with live action films, too, even with projects backed by big studios that are mainly produced to try to take advantage of critics, who see movies so regularly that they've become bored with sensibility.

Bagginses on
  • edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So, Dan Vs. is a pretty funny show, when the limited animation isn't being kind of distracting.

edzepp on
  • KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Sad to hear that.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
    edited April 2011
    Klyka wrote: »

Sad to hear that.

actually it's still a good movie and you should watch it

it's just no masterpiece of modern cinema

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • SillenderSillender Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    am i the only here that legitimately enjoys problem solverz?
    if that's the case, don't bother to reply to this!

Sillender on
  • Dac VinDac Vin S-s-screw you! I only listen to DOUBLE MUSIC! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I remember the first thing an english teacher told our class was that one never gets a second chance to make a good first impression ( while enumerating shit like arriving late and talking after the bell, but hey, he had a point!). This holds true to anything, and cartoons are not exempt from that.

What this means is, Problem Solverz utterly failed at that in the most spectacular way possible.

Dac Vin on
    edited April 2011
    Did anyone see the latest Ben 10? The voice acting was terrifying.

Bagginses on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

I agree with this, but i've seen people do the other as well. This happened when that Jim Carey A Christmas Carol came out a while back. That movie was awful. The people who I heard telling me it was a good movie? Professional animators. Not regular joe movie goer, industry veterans who get paid to do this.

To say that their perception on the subject is jaded was an understatement, and this is coming from a guy who studied that field for three solid years.

Godfather on
    edited April 2011

I agree with this, but i've seen people do the other as well. This happened when that Jim Carey A Christmas Carol came out a while back. That movie was awful. The people who I heard telling me it was a good movie? Professional animators. Not regular joe movie goer, industry veterans who get paid to do this.

To say that their perception on the subject is jaded was an understatement, and this is coming from a guy who studied that field for three solid years.

That's a little surprising. I guess pro animators can appreciate all the effort that went into the visuals and ignore pretty much everything else, but even with all that effort the more common comment was YARRRRRRRGH DEAD-EYED ZOMBIES.

cloudeagle on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Oh hey just the thread I was looking for.

Supposedly, this is the new Avatar theme. I really like it. Feels like an industrial version of the original.
    http://www.box.net/shared/n4y3bhh5zx

The Muffin Man on
  • OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Sounds like they mashed Avatar with Mass Effect.

OldSlacker on
    edited April 2011

Supposedly, this is the new Avatar theme. I really like it. Feels like an industrial version of the original.

I'm not sure why why they'd go for electronica for an industrial revolution setting. I mean, if you wanted to set that era, you'd add early-style, cakewalky syncopation.

I mean, here are some songs fro the very end of the possible era:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgWowZ5i0Vw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DK-lBi5r6Jk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_B0CyOAO8y0
    Flight of the Bumblebee

Bagginses on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

bloody amazing

Antimatter on
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So wait, was Young Justice canceled? I thought we were supposed to get new episodes this month, but I hear it's been "postponed indefinitely"

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Man, Avengers is really really good.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So wait, was Young Justice canceled? I thought we were supposed to get new episodes this month, but I hear it's been "postponed indefinitely"

please no

please

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

please no

please

It was pretty subpar.
    Everyone seemed like a parody at best.
    Superboy was just RRRRGH SO ANGRY

The Muffin Man on
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I discovered Phineas and Ferb on Netflix and I just can't stop watching. I'm like halfway through the second season.

Opty on
  • TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

It hasn't been cancelled. The latest word from Greg Weisman is is that the episodes are still being worked on though apparently as of April 14th the very next episode isn't even finished yet.

If you're asking when we start airing new episodes again, I don't know. We're still working on episodes 10-36.

http://www.s8.org/gargoyles/askgreg/search.php?qid=13239

Tertiee on
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    edzepp wrote: »
    So, Dan Vs. is a pretty funny show, when the limited animation isn't being kind of distracting.

Yes!

Tonight is Dan Vs. The Barber

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Speaking of Space Jam, guess what's on Cartoon Network RIGHT NOW!

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • ElaroElaro Apologetic Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Speaking of Space Jam, guess what's on Cartoon Network RIGHT NOW!

Mickey Mouse?

Elaro on
    Children's rights are human rights.
    edited April 2011
    So, like, on Dan Vs.
    Did they just seriously kill a dude?

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited April 2011
    So Avengers just blew through their last seven season 1 episodes in, like, the past two weeks. It's great for me as a viewer but it makes me wonder about the future of the show.

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
    edited April 2011
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    So Avengers just blew through their last seven season 1 episodes in, like, the past two weeks. It's great for me as a viewer but it makes me wonder about the future of the show.

Wait what, when on earth did they do that?

Also it's already been renewed I think

EDIT: Apparently in Australia!

God dammit I hate Cable's complete inability to have anything close to resembling a decent season airing schedule

EDIT2: Yeah, season 2's expected to start in October, and they're aiming for 52 episodes for both seasons

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    are there any cartoons on Netflix instant watch that you guys would recommend

Nerdgasmic on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    36 episodes of YJ confirmed? that's super super great.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited April 2011
    Antimatter wrote: »

bloody amazing

Huh, interesting. Kinda like Avatar Beyond. Not meant as a complaint, I think it does a decent job of communicating the whole industrial revolution thing.

cloudeagle on
  • manaleak34manaleak34 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    are there any cartoons on Netflix instant watch that you guys would recommend

SERIES:
    Phineas and Ferb
    Spectacular Spider-Man
    Wallace and Gromit
    Jackie Chan Adventures
    Rocky & Bullwinkle
    Also if you have any nostalgia for classic Nick there's plenty of those on there. (Rugrats, Ren & Stimpy, Hey Arnold, Rocko's Modern Life, etc)

MOVIES:
    The Iron Giant
    The Secret of Kells
    The Haunted World of El Superbeasto
    Toy Story 3
    Up
    The Princess and the Frog
    Cats Don't Dance

And if you're in the mood for something terrible there...Delgo

manaleak34 on
    XBL/Steam:ManaCrevice
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    okay, thanks

Nerdgasmic on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I love King of the Hill but those first season episodes are pretty bad.

Kyougu on
  • DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dram on
This discussion has been closed.