As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Portal 2. Reboot GLaDOS for earlier release!

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I don't think it's that likely that the golden potato reward will be in Team Fortress 2. Beyond the Cube Pin, which requires you to own TF2, nothing else in the ARG hinges on TF2.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Bethryn wrote: »
    I don't think it's that likely that the golden potato reward will be in Team Fortress 2. Beyond the Cube Pin, which requires you to own TF2, nothing else in the ARG hinges on TF2.

Yeah, it'll probably be something within Portal 2, but what? A co-op skin in addition to the one for owning all the games? Extra levels that are otherwise unavailable/released later/paid DLC?

The former would be pretty meh and the second would probably upset a whole bunch of people.

Peewi on
  • AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Regarding TWEOTW's potatos: Screw Dejobaan.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Peewi wrote: »
    Bethryn wrote: »

Yeah, it'll probably be something within Portal 2, but what? A co-op skin in addition to the one for owning all the games? Extra levels that are otherwise unavailable/released later/paid DLC?

The former would be pretty meh and the second would probably upset a whole bunch of people.

Valve doesn't do paid DLC (except the Mann Store), so I doubt it'd be that.

Stabbity Style on
    Stabbity_Style.png
  • AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    AaronKI wrote: »
    Regarding TWEOTW's potatos: Screw Dejobaan.

I found out it's possible to simply launch the URLs in the steam browser while playing TWEOTW and get your potatoes.

try these URLs

http://steamcommunity.com/as/bounce/bigde/monfish/?k=405346569
    pass: every piece

http://steamcommunity.com/as/bounce/cru/elli/brarian/?k=3710012799

Alegis on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Huh. So we hit 400k, people exploded in the chat, and then the GlaDOS corrupted op said "Beginning processing. Continue Testing." Intruiging.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    How do you access the steam browser? I remember it used to be really easy, but have they hidden it now?

Sceptre on
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Sceptre wrote: »
    How do you access the steam browser? I remember it used to be really easy, but have they hidden it now?

shift-tab.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Whoah. What's all this about infected? People are having their Steam accounts jacked by the ARG? O__o

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Concerning the above URLs, I'm not sure if those are unique to mine or apply to anyone playing TWEOTW. Got them from running a python script which I'm not exactly sure what it does (grabbing the URL out of memory?). Seems the link to the script has been removed on the wiki after a warning popped up for not using external apps.

Alegis on
    edited April 2011
    Whoah. What's all this about infected? People are having their Steam accounts jacked by the ARG? O__o

It's been going on for about a week now. The really high profile players ( that aren't in an administrative role, or at least not completely) have seen themselves post cryptic messages and lose communication. their steam profiles are altered in a unique way and they post in the voice/tone of GlaDOS trying to comfort us. It's pretty similar to what appears to have happened to Hubert Tuberson.

Athenor on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    People need to be a lot more skeptical about stuff.

Seeing "4/19/2011_7AM=4/15/2011_9AM" in a giant puzzle of hidden information should not be met with the response "Oh my god, it's going to be released early!" but rather "Does that mean it's going to be released early? Is something else going to happen? What does it mean?" followed by scurriing about to uncover clues, or just waiting for more information.

Unless it's written in plain english, typically in a press release, it's just a bad idea to assume anything about anything coming out of an ARG.

Undead Scottsman on
    edited April 2011
    Well, that's... creepy. And sorry to hassle you for a repost, but I can't get on IRC; what's going on with the suggestion that everyone stop "testing"? :/

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • ToldoToldo But actually, WeegianRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Well, that's... creepy. And sorry to hassle you for a repost, but I can't get on IRC; what's going on with the suggestion that everyone stop "testing"? :/

It's a twist!

Toldo on
  • Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It'd be nice to see something for unlocking a few potatoes as well. Like a new co-op skin for every X amount that you got, as well as whatever for getting all of them.

Although it's kind of hard to complain that I'm being "forced" to play video games, of all things. If I weren't enjoying them, I'd just stop.

EDIT: Not that I'm bitching. I know I'm pretty much participating in something that doesn't effect me, but I'm having fun with it.

Sir Platypus on
    edited April 2011
    The stopping testing thing has come up to be a troll/red herring. Some new info is being fished out, but nothing huge at the moment.

Athenor on
  • KitAlexHarrisonKitAlexHarrison Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    David_T wrote: »
    SteevL wrote: »
    I can't really think of any other time where a new game was promoted via other games made by other developers.

Every single time ordering a new game got you a TF2 hat.

Ah, but note that whenever it's happened it's been Valve involved. That wasn't the case with any other developer as far as I know. And this goes far beyond "get a hat!" (In fact, it's more like "get a badge!")

This is the first time Valve have driven the marketing campaign for one of their own products. Missteps were proabbly going to happen - though I haven't actually come across any - and besides, I don't care if Portal 2 is released a couple of hours earlier. But to unite the community under 13 games they should have played - and now have played - is the greatest thing I've seen all year.

KitAlexHarrison on
    PennyArcadeSig.png

• Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm not really into the whole ARG thing, so I just kinda saw this as a neat event to shave some time off of the game's release. I only own AudioSurf and Super Meat Boy, but the event has given me a reason to dive back into those games and do some fun stuff. I hadn't played AudioSurf since the Steam Achievements patch and I never did beat SMB, so now I feel like there's extra incentive to play these games again beyond just doing it for fun.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, this is probably the craziest hype I've ever seen within a community for a game.

Keywords there are "within a community." I'd much rather have this craziness than a Mountain Dew tie-in, or bombardment of ads.

Sir Platypus on
    edited April 2011
    Alegis wrote: »
    Concerning the above URLs, I'm not sure if those are unique to mine or apply to anyone playing TWEOTW. Got them from running a python script which I'm not exactly sure what it does (grabbing the URL out of memory?). Seems the link to the script has been removed on the wiki after a warning popped up for not using external apps.

They must be unique. When I tried them in steam while running TWEOTW, it gave me the "unrecognized user" page. Thanks for trying to save me from torturing myself, though. :P

I finally got the U+Arcadia Potato after studying the youtube walkthrough linked on the Wiki and trying over and over again to replicate his path. I think the worst part is that you can be doing really good, see a crate you think you can pick up, smash into it, and then get stuck on it for several seconds. And when you get unstuck, the game tends to throw you backwards onto the ground and screw up your current playthrough.

I think I'm going to take a break from TWEOTW before I try the P+Sugar Candy potato. I'll go relax with Rush while I try to unlock the Key level.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2011
    People need to be a lot more skeptical about stuff.

Seeing "4/19/2011_7AM=4/15/2011_9AM" in a giant puzzle of hidden information should not be met with the response "Oh my god, it's going to be released early!" but rather "Does that mean it's going to be released early? Is something else going to happen? What does it mean?" followed by scurriing about to uncover clues, or just waiting for more information.

Unless it's written in plain english, typically in a press release, it's just a bad idea to assume anything about anything coming out of an ARG.
    I think "final test" was a poor choice of words, as the Portal series is basically about testing. You can understand the confusion that "final test" means "the game."

It's good to see more crazy shit happening. This kinda reminds me of the time the PA mods "killed" members.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    you literally do not need anything from the tf2 store to start playing so

and you can get a shit ton of items from just getting in game achievements which aren't hard to get

and in that time you will also get items dropped

and most of the default weapons are better for the most part, as well as those unlocked items that might be better, really arent that much better

A lot of them are clearly better, and more options is better in general. It is a significant disadvantage.

it is in no way a significant disadvantage

if you had argued this point from a "there is a shit ton of fuck in the game that isnt really explained and its daunting as a new player to try and internalize all the new shit" then i would have completley agreed with you , 100%

but as far as a gameplay thing goes, no, seriously, most of the default weapons are fine for playing the game and you arent going to instantly die because you dont have weapon x

To give one example of many, the Kritzkrieg is effectively mandatory for a medic for the sake of versatility, particularly when playing with RL friends over vent. Being able to swap from medic/hvy to medic/soldier or medic/demo was a game winning difference in many cases.

That said, the Kritz was available from achievements, but I think it is one of the most clear examples of being a clear advantage, because it changes losses to wins by itself.
    edit: i think portal 2 looks like a fun game

Me too. GLaDOS is my second favorite AI after SHODAN.

programjunkie on
  • MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Fig-D wrote: »
    I'm not really into the whole ARG thing, so I just kinda saw this as a neat event to shave some time off of the game's release. I only own AudioSurf and Super Meat Boy, but the event has given me a reason to dive back into those games and do some fun stuff. I hadn't played AudioSurf since the Steam Achievements patch and I never did beat SMB, so now I feel like there's extra incentive to play these games again beyond just doing it for fun.
    This is pretty much where I'm at. I mean, it's not like I really need a reason to play more Audiosurf, but I did play a good 7 hours of Defense Grid yesterday despite not touching it for over a year. That was nice. This is probably one of the better marketing stunts I've seen in a while, really.

I may actually end up playing Killing Floor, which I've still yet to launch even though I bought it at release.

Maybe.

We'll see.

Taters.

Monger on
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So what's going on with the ARG now?

Rizzi on
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I was sort of half keeping track of the ARG when the early release became a possibility but that only mattered if it happened during the weekend

Getting the game on Monday instead of Tuesday doesn't matter a whole lot to me

tofu on
    edited April 2011
    Rizzi wrote: »
    So what's going on with the ARG now?

"Glados" entered a chat in Steam, and 9000 people followed. When she turned off officer-only chat, 4000 of them started to spam at once.

The group's name is something like Pulse Phase Devs -- Pulse phase being a song from Half life (or 2, maybe). The account also has shots from a mod trying to recreate/finish the HL2 leak.

Athenor on
    edited April 2011
    Huh. Sounds suspicious.

Rizzi on
  • ChronocideChronocide Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Monger wrote: »
    I may actually end up playing Killing Floor, which I've still yet to launch even though I bought it at release.

You are a bad man, Killing Floor is one of the better games on that indie list. Well worth playing any time, to not play it now is crazy!

Chronocide on
  • angrylinuxgeekangrylinuxgeek Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    you literally do not need anything from the tf2 store to start playing so

and you can get a shit ton of items from just getting in game achievements which aren't hard to get

and in that time you will also get items dropped

and most of the default weapons are better for the most part, as well as those unlocked items that might be better, really arent that much better

A lot of them are clearly better, and more options is better in general. It is a significant disadvantage.

it is in no way a significant disadvantage

if you had argued this point from a "there is a shit ton of fuck in the game that isnt really explained and its daunting as a new player to try and internalize all the new shit" then i would have completley agreed with you , 100%

but as far as a gameplay thing goes, no, seriously, most of the default weapons are fine for playing the game and you arent going to instantly die because you dont have weapon x

To give one example of many, the Kritzkrieg is effectively mandatory for a medic for the sake of versatility, particularly when playing with RL friends over vent. Being able to swap from medic/hvy to medic/soldier or medic/demo was a game winning difference in many cases.

That said, the Kritz was available from achievements, but I think it is one of the most clear examples of being a clear advantage, because it changes losses to wins by itself.
    edit: i think portal 2 looks like a fun game

Me too. GLaDOS is my second favorite AI after SHODAN.

This is only mandatory in your mind, brah. The Ubercharge owns and wins games all the time.

angrylinuxgeek on
    sQwJu.png
    edited April 2011
    Okay, disregard what I said before. Valve's liason with this whole ARG basically confirmed that Dr. Dougley, one of the co-founders of the ARG IRC page, has been trolling people pretty heavily for a few days now. Valve wants us to focus on the bars, at least for the moment.

Athenor on
  • DredZedDredZed Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So thanks to cyphr, I'm the proud owner of a copy of Audiosurf. Anyone have copies of Killing Floor or Amnesia that they would be willing to gift me?

Steam name is DredZedPrime, I'll appreciate if anyone can help me out.

DredZed on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2011
    Figured as much. Didn't seem like Valve.
    Edit: I also would like a copy of Killing Floor or Amnesia.
    :P

Rizzi on
    edited April 2011
    Alright, too burned out right now to continue playing games. I don't think Toki Tori is really something that was meant to be played for many hours at a time.

Sir Platypus on
    edited April 2011
    Woah. We're waiting for confirmation on this, but something really cool just got posted. Spoilers, sorta, but keep in mind this is stuff that was found in a file on the wiki and in Half Life 2's game data... Pointing towards more Ep3 tie-ins.
    //from the HB.rar posted on wiki
    ---LOG FROM [ REDACTED ], BY J.H. TO C.J.---

1. We designed the entire thing to be very, very durable. It was easy to get the materials since everyone's been thinking
    it's a simple icebreaker ship. Ha.

2. We have made sure to strip it of anything not necessary, so that we have plenty of space for it. It doesn't have any
    backup supplies in the event the crew runs out of food, though. And there isn't much food onboard in the first place.

3. In the event you need to send it off all of a sudden, use the OR box with code 'hb1'.

That's all, C.J. Not much else I can tell you other than this won't leave a blight on our record. Mesa is going to be sore
    when they see what we've done.

//extracted from a data 'file' inside Ep2's files
    ---LOG FROM [ REDACTED ], BY C.J. TO J.H.---

C.J. TO J.H.

It is fine. We have located it, covered in... Combine technology.

My guess is the Mesa is behind this. Please discover their experiment plans

C.J.

// note that 'OR' in this case reffered to Orange Box
    // with hb1 not being a code, but rather a hint, towards
    // the ''HB1 Hyperbase Management System'', which is a
    // database manager, hence tipped me to look into
    // databases files of recently updated orange box games
    // the second log is what i've found, encoded in hex,
    // which a quick decode using google gave the 2nd log
    // fake? Red herring? it WAS inside files of the game
    // you decide for yourself

Again, people are trying to get it confirmed now.

Athenor on
    edited April 2011
    ^Awesome. So
    Cave Johnson
    is still alive in the Episode 3 timeframe! :D

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
    edited April 2011
    Possibly. Living has an interesting context in this universe.

Athenor on
  • FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I really hope Cave Johnson makes an appearance in one way or another, I especially like the voiceovers for the portal commercials haha.

FuriousJodo on
    FuriousJodo on Twitch/PSN/XBL/Whatever else
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Where's that HL2 "I want to believe" image when you need it?

Undead Scottsman on
    edited April 2011
    You wouldn't hire J.K. Simmons for 4 advertisements, especially when the casting call for his part went out 2 years ago

Athenor on
    edited April 2011
    19 of 35 potatoes down. I'm over halfway there. I can faintly see the light at the end of the potato-shapped tunnel. :P

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg