As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Sonic the Hedgehog] New Sonic All-Stars Racing trailer... with Afterburner stage!

• Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The new gameplay videos released is incredible. I love how the 2D stages uses a remix of Green Hill Zone's music that sounds like the genesis, and the 3D stages uses a hard rock remix from crush 40 that sounds like the 3D games.

This pleases me.

I wish you'd just link stuff instead of playing coy and hinting around. :?

http://www.tssznews.com/2011/04/18/first-in-game-footage-of-sonic-generations-surfaces/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmN0Z6GAfj0&feature=player_embedded

For those wondering what the hell he's talking about with Robotnik, you can see his picture on the end of level signpost at 3:17.

That's not the video I saw. The video I've seen is being hosted on. Private ftp and has been deleted from youtube once already.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    This seems odd - they already have classic Sonic gameplay back in the Sonic 4 game. Any chance this project cancels Episode 2?

Looks nice though - I'd love it if they reverted back to the Robotnik name.

there is concept artwork floating around showing the design for the model for Sonic 2's Egg Mobile which has the name "Dr. Robotnik" on it.

http://www.tssznews.com/2011/04/18/sonic-anniversary-concepts-actually-ad-agency-college-challenge/
    Earlier today, we published a story that stemmed from an alleged NeoGAF discovery of an array of Sonic 20th anniversary related promotion initiatives and merchandise concepts. It included, among other things, an interactive poster, multiple instances of apparel, and sketches for an Eggmobile model using the name “Dr. Robotnik,” Eggman’s original Westernized name.

Since the discovery, there have been some remarks made around the Internet that the elements looked more like college projects than serious Sega initiatives. As we learned this morning, it turns out that’s because they are college projects.

This one is a bit tough to explain…so we’ll let iNAUDiBLE, who corrected us on the original story, do it instead:

Both NeoGAF and this site are wrong about the origins of these concept pieces. Most of these were created by college design students for a contest prompt given by SEGA (other companies gave out prompts for the contest as well, including 20th Century Fox and Boost) for the YCN Student Awards. None of these students were commissioned for anything and they give no indication of whether or not these ideas will actually be used for Sonic’s 20th Anniversary. I’d think that SEGA would’ve had their own marketing ideas lined up farther in advance rather than commission college students halfway towards June for concepts. (And indeed, they have!) Maybe we’ll see them in the future, maybe we won’t, but I would think they would give SOME indication on the site that “hey, we reserve all rights to use this” or whatever if they were intended to be used. The only thing these students might be getting for this is bragging rights and some shiny trophy or what have you.

It’s worth noting that they list “no formal mandatories”, so any concerns that SEGA is “serious about calling Eggman Robotnik” based on student concept art is utter balls. They list NOTHING of the sort, no restrictions on ideas.

That is more than enough information to consider our previous story flawed on the basis of a factual error. For that reason, the original story has been retracted. We regret the error.

This is why I don't link tssz. Those aren't the concept art pics I'm talking about.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    And once again I reiterate what I said earlier. It's inane.

Pretty sure those are the concept pics you were talking about.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    ^When did linking become so hard?

Like Kotaku.

You ever try linking to a Kotaku article? Good luck. >:/

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    edited April 2011

No, they're not. What I've seen is the model specs. You know, size relation to Sonic, colors to use, etc.

They're listed, in katakana, with ドクター・ロボトニック.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

No, they're not. What I've seen is the model specs. You know, size relation to Sonic, colors to use, etc.

Either post them or quit teasing us about them.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    ItalaxItalax Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This seems odd - they already have classic Sonic gameplay back in the Sonic 4 game. Any chance this project cancels Episode 2?

Looks nice though - I'd love it if they reverted back to the Robotnik name.

This seems a lot truer to the classic Sonic gameplay in the classic sections. Just watching the video Sporky posted, there's a couple of bits where you can see Sonic landing after a jump and taking a couple of steps to stop moving. The real problem in Sonic 4 was the way that when you stopped pressing a direction in the air, he just fell like a rock. It didn't feel good to control at all. Here, it seems like they've gone back to the old style of him taking a while to slow down after a jump.

The 3D sections looked better there, but I hope they play more like the Colours 3D sections than the Unleashed ones, with them being broken up into the distinct drift and side-step sections. Personally, I felt much more in control in Colours, in Unleashed I sometimes felt like everything was happening slightly too fast to be comfortable with, but that might just be personal taste.

That video makes it look really promising though, especially part of the classic sonic where the camera swerves to give us different angles, so it's not a 1:1 remake of Green Hill Zone.

Italax on
    PSN: Italax - Steam ID : Italax
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The thing pasted earlier said three time zones. This is only two so far. What's the third?

Minigames? Sonic and Friends? Racing?

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    cloudeagle wrote: »

I think if there is anyone in the world I would believe about Sonic information it would be TSR. He said stuff about this project like a year ago.

If he says they called him that on a concept art then I believe him. Hell he could say Sonic's last name is Sonic and everyone at Sega calls him Sonic Sonic and I would believe it.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ugh, the video specifically mentions Shadow. Boo.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I think more than anything else, Im excited for the classic Sonic levels of the "Dreamcast era". Some of those Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 levels (CITY ESCAPE!) in 2D would be so awesome.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    mxmarks wrote: »
    I think more than anything else, Im excited for the classic Sonic levels of the "Dreamcast era". Some of those Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 levels (CITY ESCAPE!) in 2D would be so awesome.

Metal Harbor or the Highway level please!

Heleor on
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ooooh I just thought of Pumpkin Hill or Red Mountain too.

This has so much potential...and unlike Sonic 4, the 2D segments so far look like they should...

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    More Gameplay (Spanish/Japanese

Edit > Beaten, but the youtube one might get taken down.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

I think if there is anyone in the world I would believe about Sonic information it would be TSR. He said stuff about this project like a year ago.

If he says they called him that on a concept art then I believe him. Hell he could say Sonic's last name is Sonic and everyone at Sega calls him Sonic Sonic and I would believe it.

He also said we were getting some sort of fan-made Sonic game on the iPhone for sure, and, well, that didn't happen.

TSR tends to get overly excited about the possibility of things.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    SollahSollah Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

He also said we were getting some sort of fan-made Sonic game on the iPhone for sure, and, well, that didn't happen.

Do you mean the Sonic CD iPhone port somebody did and tried to petition SEGA to use it?

Sollah on
    palonelydriver.gif
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Just finished Sonic Colors. Holy shit these have to be the longest credits ever.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Just finished Sonic Colors. Holy shit these have to be the longest credits ever.

At least the final boss music is excellent.

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    plufim wrote: »

Only for the last two hits.
    Ok, the rest was pretty good too.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011

It's still coming, Taxman is still working on it, and the R2 engine is still in Sega's hands.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    agoaj wrote: »

I loved how the song builds up by adding more instruments everytime you damage the boss.

Oh, and the game is definately skipping the Wii. It seems odd, since the Wii version of Unleashed sold the best, but perhaps the Wii teams are busy on something else? Looks like all that Wii owners get this year is Sonic and Mario Olympics 3.

Whee.

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I had an absolutely miserable day - bad luck followed me around from the moment I woke up till the moment I got home. Nothing went my way today.

And not a single fuck was given. Because Sonic is back!

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edzeppedzepp Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    agoaj wrote: »

I loved how the song builds up by adding more instruments everytime you damage the boss.

Oh, and the game is definately skipping the Wii. It seems odd, since the Wii version of Unleashed sold the best, but perhaps the Wii teams are busy on something else? Looks like all that Wii owners get this year is Sonic and Mario Olympics 3.

Whee.

I can't afford another console. LOVELY.

edzepp on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    And now the hunt for the rest of those red rings begins.

I'm going to do my best to do this without a guide, but man this is almost as bad as the SP rings in Sonic Advance 2.

Also I'm having a hell of a time S-ranking some of these acts.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Goddamn it

I've played Green Hill Zone 550 times now, and that's being awfully generous.

NOW I WANT TO PLAY IT IN THAT GAME, TOO. :x

Is it too late for my prior statement to come true? I was being totally serious, lets see all the Green Hill Zones strung together.

naengwen on
  • Options
    ItalaxItalax Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    And now the hunt for the rest of those red rings begins.

I'm going to do my best to do this without a guide, but man this is almost as bad as the SP rings in Sonic Advance 2.

Also I'm having a hell of a time S-ranking some of these acts.

The Aquarium zone broke me for finding the red rings on a couple of acts and I had to use a guide, those were just such huge areas and I didn't find looking for them underwater that much fun.

Italax on
    PSN: Italax - Steam ID : Italax
    Sometimes I Stream Games: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/italax-plays-video-games
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Italax wrote: »
    I guess I don't like the continuing reliance on the nostalgia factor for trying to sell me Sonic games, especially after Colours proved to me they could make a really fun game that I enjoyed all the way through.

In fairness, it is an anniversary game...
    Waka Laka wrote: »
    IGN Played it

Here is what they say about the physics ->
    What it does, is excuse a dual dynamic that brings the best elements of Sonic together. On one side you've classic Sonic, who plays through much as you'd remember him from his 16 bit days, with a combination of the d-pad and a single jump button. On the other there's the dynamic 3D acrobatics of modern Sonic, complete with homing jump, dash attack, and an added sense of speed.

For the classic Sonic sections, gameplay is simple and to the point, and what's really heart-warming is how fully it embraces the series' past. Sonic the Hedgehog 4 did a good job of nailing the look of 2D Sonic, but it didn't quite recapture the feel, its physics and sense of momentum feeling a little wayward.

Sonic Generations' producer Takashi Iizuka understandably jumps to that game's defence, no surprise seeing as he was also on production duties for Sonic 4 – and has had a hand in the series since its 16 bit heyday.

"In [Sonic the Hedgehog 4] Episode I, we didn't actually return to the old physics, and nor did we try to create something totally new," Iizuka says, "What we tried to do was respond to the voices we heard in the fans, and create something based on the feedback we were receiving from fans. On this occasion, with Sonic Generations, we've created a game with a totally different game and with completely different physics."

Different, but for classic 2D Sonic it's exactly the same – or, more accurately, it's exactly the same as you remember it. Sonic's movement seems much less stilted in Generations than it was in Sonic the Hedgehog 4, and gaining and maintaining momentum is a much more satisfying affair.

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGGGGG!

I'm sort of confused by what they're saying there. "It's different, but the same, except we made something new, and we totally listened to the fans, except where we didn't, which was by making something new when they wanted something old, and now they're getting something new, but it's old, even though it's not."

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I do have two concerns - first I do worry that this means no Sonic 4 Ep 2. When you name something Sonic 4 you are setting a pretty high standard. Having it remain incomplete, or putting it on hiatus would be a pretty major misstep to me.

Second, it looks too fast in 2d. Sonic is about twists and turns and loops, but it's also about exploration. Sonic 4 did the exploration stuff really well, there are multiple paths all over the place and you get rewarded for checking all the nooks and crannies. The 2d sections of Generations look to focus more on going as fast as possible. Hopefully it's just early footage...

Lindsay Lohan on
  • Options
    MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I've always been pretty confused about the speed thing in modern Sonics. None of the Mega Drive Sonic games are about speed, there are even plenty of things to stall you or that take control away from you. If anything Mario 1-4 are better for speed running and have superior momentum based platforming and level design.

It's like they are designing Sonic games around the marketing or the cartoon because they play nothing like the originals.

Moioink on
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Has there been any word of what the frame rate in Sonic Generations will be like?

30fps won't cut it for me.

If it runs at 60fps then I'll pretty much be in heaven, here.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Has there been any word of what the frame rate in Sonic Generations will be like?

Pushing that graphical fidelity? 30fps for sure. That's what Unleashed ran at and this game looks even better.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
  • Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    God damn.

For the record, I'm way too cool to be affected by nostalgia. I'm way past cool. BUT, this being a 20th anniversary game and all, I'll make an exception. Just this once.

Thank you, Sega.

Rex Dart on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Hm, so Classic Sonic's music is pretty much the straight-up Green Hill Zone music, while Modern Sonic's is a remix. Very cool.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm a sucker, and I'll get this.

I miss the era of platformers...probably the one genre I wish would make a comeback.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Pushing that graphical fidelity? 30fps for sure. That's what Unleashed ran at and this game looks even better.

Unleashed's framerate dipped very often.

Moioink on
  • Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Moioink wrote: »

In the PS3 version. (From what I've heard.)

Rex Dart on
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Rex Dart wrote: »
    Moioink wrote: »

In the PS3 version. (From what I've heard.)

Both are bad for it, just the PS3 one is a bit worse. That section where you are running down this alley flanked by white houses on each side was nauseating.

Moioink on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    I'm a sucker, and I'll get this.

I miss the era of platformers...probably the one genre I wish would make a comeback.

It's sort of making a comeback... though it may never be what it once was, at least it feels like there are more and more good offerings showing up.

Sonic Colors/DS, Super Mario Galaxy/2, New Super Mario Bros./Wii, A Boy and His Blob, Castlevania: The Adventure ReBirth, Bionic Commando Rearmed/2, Mega Man 9/10, Sonic 4, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Shantae...

Incidentally, I'd love to see a Ninja Gaiden which evokes the NES series, but is to those games what Symphony of the Night was to Castlevania.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!