As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dungeon Raid: Not getting anything accomplished IRL ever again. (iOS)

• LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The Earl wrote: »
    Also, there isn't any way to get back to the title page once I've started a new game and I'm selecting my character. I went in just now to see what some of the skills were called and wanted to go back so I could check my scores, but had to start the game and end it so I could get back to the main menu.
    You could force the app to shut down and open it again. I agree though that there should be some kind of "Back" button.

To get back to the main menu without ending your current game, click on the clock button (or the "Menu" button, whatever you have in the top-rightmost button if it's not the clock, above "Stats"), then click "Exit." Unless you mean from within the character-select screen?

Also, I am mildly bummed because my awesome run from a few days ago (35,532 points on Normal) apparently didn't upload to GameCenter because I was in airplane mode at the time when I got killed. :( At least I took a screenshot for posterity.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Norgoth wrote: »
    I just realised what having hack and slash did. Joy.
    I've seen the description in the game, but haven't gotten to try the combination yet. How does it work, exactly? Cast one and then the other?

JonBob on
    jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Use both on the same turn and yeah, screen cleared.

Norgoth on
  • AshtonDragonAshtonDragon AKA The Nix Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Norgoth wrote: »
    Use both on the same turn and yeah, screen cleared.

Yeah, it's pretty neat. Actually collects everything, too, so it's not "wasted" like it is with Teleport. Dangerous because the new screen is completely random, though, and it doesn't kill special skulls. Hack also has an unfortunately long cooldown, and it doesn't work with Treasure Chamber.

AshtonDragon on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Oh man. Just learned that, for whatever reason, activating treasure room (which makes nothing but coins drop on your next turn) and then using the skill that collects all potions as XP (forget what it's called) will give you TWO turns of nothing but coins.

I've actually done better now that I'm keeping an eye on making upgrading faster-specifically, the two skills above plus the instant item enchant skill. My fourth skill is teleport as an "oh shit" button.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yup, that works with any "collect all X tiles." If you combine it with the "collect all coins" skill it gives you even more.

it won't work with Teleport tho.

KalTorak on
    edited April 2011
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Yup, that works with any "collect all X tiles." If you combine it with the "collect all coins" skill it gives you even more.

it won't work with Teleport tho.

Yeah, I learned that one the hard way. Ah well, at least teleport is the most reliable of the "oh shit" skills.

cloudeagle on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I kind of wish that was noted somewhere. As a hardcore rules lawyer, finding things out like that the hard way is a little disappointing.

I understand why it couldn't be allowed for gameplay purposes, but maybe a warning on the description or something would be nice. Or better yet, allow things like Teleport+Treasure Chamber to work, but add cooldown time to both skills if they're used in conjunction with one another. Make it a general rule that if you combine skills on a turn, cooldown increases by 150% or something!

joshofalltrades on
    edited April 2011
    I kind of wish that was noted somewhere. As a hardcore rules lawyer, finding things out like that the hard way is a little disappointing.

I understand why it couldn't be allowed for gameplay purposes, but maybe a warning on the description or something would be nice. Or better yet, allow things like Teleport+Treasure Chamber to work, but add cooldown time to both skills if they're used in conjunction with one another. Make it a general rule that if you combine skills on a turn, cooldown increases by 150% or something!
    Making that change would completely ruin me. All I ever do is skill combos, constantly.

AshtonDragon on
  • The EarlThe Earl Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm finding that dazzle is an absolute must have skill. Combine this with Blood Leech, which i've gotten as high as 25%, I can clear the board, fill my health and collect the accompanying xp.

To anyone that is having a hard time getting up there in score, I suggest literally taking every single damage booster you can find. The only time I don't take a dmg boost is when its not available, or there is an extra lucrative bonus (such as +2 def, or +1 def and a stat), or blood leech is available which is hard to get at times.

The Earl on
    | Flickr | Steam | KROQ | Game Center The_Earl
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Dazzle is amazing, yes, but relying on it too much can be devastating if a Lich rolls around. I know this from experience.

joshofalltrades on
  • The EarlThe Earl Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Lich as well as Spiky. I think Spiky is just an overall pain in the ass regardless to your setup. If I have teleport, I usually end up running away rather than trying to deal with him. If no teleport, I usually have enough blunt and spike dmg to just ignore him.

The Earl on
    | Flickr | Steam | KROQ | Game Center The_Earl
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    so i bought the game since i am down with puzzle quest and was starting to get bored with bejeweled... I didn't believe the posts saying how hopelessly addicted you get to the game, this may be tmi but i was playing it in the bathroom and my legs fell asleep and I didn't even notice

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
    edited April 2011
    Okay skulls are coming out

joshofalltrades on
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    No, fuck YOU stupid goddamn 6 million late-game skulls that individually deal a milliong billion damage

You heard me.

a MILLIONG. Not just a million.

Khavall on
    edited April 2011
    The Earl wrote: »
    Lich as well as Spiky. I think Spiky is just an overall pain in the ass regardless to your setup. If I have teleport, I usually end up running away rather than trying to deal with him. If no teleport, I usually have enough blunt and spike dmg to just ignore him.

Spikey stopped being a massive problem when I started focusing on getting as many levels and upgrades as possible, because I boost my HP and Blunting so high that I can either kill it and survive or ignore it for long periods of time.

I haven't taken Dazzle in a long time, and I don't really miss it. I feel like Swords are the thing I like having on my screen the least, because my base damage is often high enough to kill skulls by themselves. I'd rather take Magic Sword and pile up a couple of those for dealing with special monsters (or have a skillset completely devoted to becoming as powerful as possible).

AshtonDragon on
  • DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So is this thing getting an Android release? Because not owning an iOS devices presents a pretty large hurdle otherwise.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

You must've had a really hard time with video games in the 20th century. :P

admanb on
  • ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So I just read about Hack and Slash (do you have to use one before the other?), but I'm a bit confused about the combos involving Treasure Chamber.

Usually I'll have that plus the Skill Elixir (potions > XP) skill. So when I have a screen full of potions I activate Treasure Chamber then hit Skill Elixir. But I'm hearing you can get more screens full of coins by adding other skills... How does that work, exactly?

ringswraith on
  • schmadsschmads Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I find that I usually go through a "learning game" with any new skill that I haven't messed with before. Some of them are pretty straightforward, but even then I am not always sure how it will work with the rest of the skills I might pick. Every game plays out slightly differently, which is one reason why it is so terribly addictive!

schmads on
    Battle.net/SC2: Kwisatz.868 | Steam/XBL/PSN/Gamecenter: schmads | BattleTag/D3: Schmads#1144 | Hero Academy & * With Friends: FallenKwisatz | 3DS: 4356-0128-9671
  • schmadsschmads Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So I just read about Hack and Slash (do you have to use one before the other?), but I'm a bit confused about the combos involving Treasure Chamber.

Usually I'll have that plus the Skill Elixir (potions > XP) skill. So when I have a screen full of potions I activate Treasure Chamber then hit Skill Elixir. But I'm hearing you can get more screens full of coins by adding other skills... How does that work, exactly?

If you have the collect all coins skill, for instance, it would remove all of the coins dropped after Skill Elixir and you would get another screen full. Skills generally do not consume a turn, so Treasure Chamber stays active until you actually match something. This means that as long as your skills keep consuming tiles, you will keep getting more gold coins. Teleport is the exception rather than the rule, since it doesn't give you a screen full of coins if you activate it after Treasure Chamber. It just gives you a new board. I think fireflame mentioned that this was removed intentionally, because it was just too good a synergy (I believe it would have been two full screens of coins, every time TC was up).

If I got any of the details wrong, feel free to yell at me :)

Edit: Reading the previous page of the thread again, I see that hack also doesn't support TC. Since I haven't seen either Hack or Slash in a game yet, I don't really understand them yet.

schmads on
    Battle.net/SC2: Kwisatz.868 | Steam/XBL/PSN/Gamecenter: schmads | BattleTag/D3: Schmads#1144 | Hero Academy & * With Friends: FallenKwisatz | 3DS: 4356-0128-9671
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Oh hey a Dungeon Raid thread

I finally started playing as something other than the default class last night, but so far I don't really notice a marked difference, aside from seeing a couple skills I hadn't seen before when upgrading

Not that it matters. This is the best portable game since

I'm gonna go with Elite Beat Agents

UnbreakableVow on
    edited April 2011
    admanb wrote: »

You must've had a really hard time with video games in the 20th century. :P

Not really. It's one thing in an action game to experiment and find out what works and what doesn't. In a puzzle game, where one move can mean life or death... yeah, I like to know when there's exceptions to rules.

There's a note on Hack saying that combining with Slash clears the screen. It says nothing about it being incompatible with Treasure Chamber.

joshofalltrades on
    edited April 2011
    yeah so i wore out my iphone's battery playing this... at work... at least its a slow day so i had the downtime?

TheKoolEagle on
    edited April 2011
    The nice thing about Dungeon Raid is it doesn't leave any incriminating traces in your browser history that you might forget to erase before leaving.

joshofalltrades on
    edited April 2011
    Anyone else ever get a weird glitch where you collect tiles but don't get any benefits from them? Armor gives you no armor, coins gives you no coins, health gives no health, etc.?

I've only started noticing it recently, and it totally just fucked me in the game I was just on.

No special skulls present, by the way.

UnbreakableVow on
  • JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Any possibility you are playing as a Raider? And only matching 3 tiles, which gives you nothing with that class?

JonBob on
    jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    yeah that's a harsh weakness.

KalTorak on
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Why would you ever just match 3 tiles, though? I guess if there just absolutely was no other possible move on the board?

wonderpug on
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Anyone else ever get a weird glitch where you collect tiles but don't get any benefits from them? Armor gives you no armor, coins gives you no coins, health gives no health, etc.?

I've only started noticing it recently, and it totally just fucked me in the game I was just on.

No special skulls present, by the way.

I've been playing as Rogue and every once in a while this happens. Not for everything though, just shields. Which is probably the worst thing for me not to get.

Mr Pink on
    edited April 2011
    wonderpug wrote: »

Why would you ever just match 3 tiles, though? I guess if there just absolutely was no other possible move on the board?

If you are in desperate need of something. Say your repair score is pretty high and you're not going to be able to kill all the monsters on this turn, and your armor is zero. If you can get three shields, it will max out your armor and you'll survive the 2 turns necessary to clear the board.

For instance.

joshofalltrades on
    edited April 2011
    just made it to turn 400, thats the farthest i've ever gotten, then an assasin came and started hitting me for 42 :(

TheKoolEagle on
  • InitialDKInitialDK Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I hate you all for introducing me to this...actually I don't, because now I have a new fun time waster at lunch!

InitialDK on
    "I'd happily trade your life for knowledge of my powers."
    -Louis C.K.
    edited April 2011
    JonBob wrote: »
    Any possibility you are playing as a Raider? And only matching 3 tiles, which gives you nothing with that class?

I am playing as a Raider

I'm looking at the menus right now

It doesn't say anything about only matching 3 tiles giving you nothing...?

The whole front-end menu system really does need to be made a lot clearer

EDIT: Okay, just found it. Yeah...that definitely needs to be made clearer.

UnbreakableVow on
    edited April 2011
    wonderpug wrote: »

If you are in desperate need of something. Say your repair score is pretty high and you're not going to be able to kill all the monsters on this turn, and your armor is zero. If you can get three shields, it will max out your armor and you'll survive the 2 turns necessary to clear the board.

For instance.

I match threes a lot when I'm prepping for a "Collect all X tiles" move for Treasure Chamber - want to clear out as many other kinds of tiles as I can.

KalTorak on
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I would imagine that the wasted turns going for all those 3-tile matches would outweigh the benefit of having that one really good turn for treasure chamber.

wonderpug on
  • ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Went back to playing this again last night, played on normal and tried that "clear out as many swords as you can instead of conserving them" thing. Did much, MUCH better. Like, to the point where I was getting kind of bored because I was doing so well.

Then a spiky showed up and BAM DEAD.

So that was a thing.

How do I unlock classes? I only have the Mage, and I just levelled it up to 2 last night, which is neat. But I want to unlock all these other classes and races you guys are talking about.

Imperfect on
  • DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You need to play as Adventurer to unlock other classes. I managed to get them all open in 2 or 3 marathon sessions.

Well marathon for me anyway. 500-600 moves.

DivideByZero on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
    edited April 2011
    You need to play as Adventurer to unlock other classes. I managed to get them all open in 2 or 3 marathon sessions.

Well marathon for me anyway. 500-600 moves.

Actually, you can unlock classes while playing as any class. I was trying to level the first one I found up, and it turned out that some trophies I got leveled the class up, while some opened up other classes. So you may as well start playing as anything other than adventurer as soon as you can manage.

cloudeagle on
  • DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Huh, that's neat. Though you'd also be splitting your trophies between unlocking new classes and leveling your current one; all Adventurer trophies would be new classes. Seems more efficient that way IMO.

DivideByZero on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS