As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Infinity] N3 out: Only in USAriadna can you find a Coke Bottling Plant in the year 2185

• OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Getting more than 10 models really screws you over since you have to divvy them up into squads of 10 or less command points.

That is to say, it WILL suck unless you grab your big McNasty and give him a bunch of cheap netrods.

Oh wait, only ALEPH and CA can do that. h0h0h0

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • kaortikaorti Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Netrods need to have a model. Now.

That said, the limited number of netrods you can field is making it hard for me to fit them into a functioning army list. I've been building ALEPH lists in the devilteam army builder, and I'm having severe difficulty fitting sufficient options with enough space and enough points left over for the three allowed netrods. I either end up with three points left and seven orders, or 60 points left and ten orders.

Posthumans make the calculation even harder. They're a wonderful way to add an extremely powerful model to your list, but they take two or three slots in a group, and their special weapons cost is through the roof. If you're feilding netrods, posthumans fit thematically, and you can use their jumper ability freely, but then your group is cripplingly short on AROs, is using up most of your SWC already, and still needs a leiutenant, a hacker, and some way of taking out heavies.

The Marut looks good, It's stats make it tough as all get-out. Its multispectral visor coupled with high willpower means that TO and camo units aren't so threatening to it, but I don't think I could ever afford the 122 points it costs. Especially when achillies is almost as killy and costs a "mere" 80-some points.

Building an ALEPH list at any point level can be frustrating. I need to actually get out and play so I can figure it out.

Does anyone know somewhere in the seattle area that has an Infinity community? I don't own a car so I'm pretty restricted in my ability to travel.

kaorti on
  • OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I've been using my Shifting Stones as netrods. :D

So how good are the Posthumans compared to say, Myrmidons? I'm a huge fan of them. They're very killy and not that easy to take down.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
    edited April 2011
    Based on my reading of their stats and equipment, Posthumans are quite good. They have excellent stats, most notably WIP 15 and BS 13. You can get an engineer, doctor or hacker; a TO camo Multi-sniper or hacker, and heavy infantry with a spitfire.

The points cost for each body is extremely low, but you have to take at least two bodies for each posthuman you bring, and each posthuman only contributes one order. This isn't a problem on your active turn or as long as you have netrods, but only the active body can shoot as an ARO on your inactive turn. You can swich bodies, as an ARO, but it's reduced coverage. The addtional bodies still count toward your ten troop limit for each group.

On the other hand, you can get a cheap WIP 15 hacker to run your remotes and hack defensively as well as a TO sniper with a MULTI sniper rifle, Infiltration, and no wound incapacitation, and the package only costs 51 points and 2 SWC.

How well does frenzy work with Myrmidons? They're cheap for ALEPH infantry, and the ODD looks wonderful, but it seems like it'd be easy to lose control of them and get them all killed.
    I'll probably order a box of them anyway, but for now I'm waiting for a Daysus and Achillies first.

kaorti on
    edited April 2011
    It should work well. They hit pretty hard. Once you get into the middle of combat, I figure you'd want them to just keep going and going.

Yes, ODD is amazing, but keep this in mind- never, ever send them, especially Achilles, towards anyone with a spray weapon. It's their biggest weakness.

That said. Wait wait- so for Posthumans, you pay for a specific amount of characters, and each has more than one body it can jump to? What?

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
    edited April 2011
    A Posthuman is a digitized human consciousness that uses proxy bodies. Each body is deployed separately and takes up space in your combat group, but they only have one mind to share between them. A Posthuman may bring either two or three bodies, and a given body can't be taken twice. The Posthuman, not the proxy bodies, adds a single order to your order pool.

During your active turn the Posthuman can jump freely between bodies at no cost whenever it uses an order. During your reactive turn, only the body currently containing the Posthuman may shoot during AROs. Unoccupied proxy bodies may still dodge. The Posthuman may switch bodies whenever any body triggers an ARO, but cannot switch and shoot in the same ARO.

The net package is limited in a few ways, but compensates for that with excellent stats, top-of-the-line equipment, and cheap points costs.

kaorti on
    edited April 2011
    Huh, that's interesting. So how would a squad of them even work, seeing how Sectorals can form permasquads? The Posthumans are the sectoral group for Aleph, right?

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
    edited April 2011
    Not at all, it's almost exacly the opposite. A Posthuman is one person using several bodies at separate times. A linked squad is several people acting together at one time. A Posthuman has excellent stats and equipment, while a linked squad stacks bonuses to make mediocre stats and equipment better.

ALEPH doesn't have sectorals or linkable troops yet.

edit: this explains it in more depth

kaorti on
    edited April 2011
    Got it. I could've sworn they were it. That's fine. Pretty awesome though.

So basically, if you don't have a netrod, you're screwed if the active body gets demolished.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
    edited April 2011
    OtakuD00D wrote: »
    So basically, if you don't have a netrod, you're screwed if the active body gets demolished.

Right, so if you're running a posthuman, you're also running 3 netrods. Which uses up five slots, and only provides you with one fighting model. It fits the elite flavor, but it sure feels dangerous.

kaorti on
    edited April 2011
    How badass is that one three-in-one-model-for-a-shitload-of-slots compared to say, Asuras and Achilles?

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    That's a pretty neat concept they've worked in there. It's pretty awesome how much complexity you can add to a small scale game like this without bogging down gameplay.

It would seem like you could have a decent secondary unit made of PH with a Spitfire and a Doctor and Engineer, three Netrods and three cheap Dakinis for about a hundred points, netting you 7 orders. In a 300 point game, that's enough to get 7-8 orders on your main unit.

Carnarvon on
    edited April 2011
    You would have to choose between the doctor and the engineer, they're on the same body and you can't take the same body twice. If you wanted to take the Dakinis, you'd need to take a hacker too. I'd go with this: Doctor, TO sniper, Spitfire, three netrods and two yudbots. Three bodies, four orders, 91 points, and the doctor can be in three places at once.

I think each combat group needs its own lieutenants, so throw a deva lieutenant in there too. The whole thing gives you five orders for 117 points, and should take care of most of your support. With just a little fiddling, this list seems promising:

61.png ALEPH
    ──────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────

Group 1 (Reg: 7/Irr: 0):

61_20.pngPROXY Mk.3 Spitfire, Nanopulser / Pistol, Knife (30 | 2)
    sep.gifMOV:4-4 CC:13 BS:13 PH:14 WIP:15 ARM:4 BTS:-3 W:2
    sep.gifRegular, Not Impetuous, G: Jumper L1

61_19.pngPROXY Mk.2 MULTI Sniper Rifle, Nanopulser / Pistol, Knife (29 | 1.5)
    sep.gifMOV:4-4 CC:13 BS:13 PH:13 WIP:15 ARM:1 BTS:0 W:1
    sep.gifCH: TO Camouflage, Infiltration, V: No Wound Incapacitation

61_18.pngPROXY Mk.1 Doctor Combi Rifle, Nanopulser / Pistol, Knife (14)
    sep.gifMOV:4-4 CC:13 BS:13 PH:11 WIP:15 ARM:2 BTS:-3 W:1
    sep.gifCH: Mimetism, V: No Wound Incapacitation, Doctor

61_16.png3x NETROD Electric Pulse (4)
    sep.gifMOV:- CC:- BS:- PH:12 WIP:- ARM:0 BTS:-3 STR:1
    sep.gifRegular, Not Impetuous
    sep.gifAD: Combat Jump, AI Beacon

61_15.png2x YUDBOT Electric Pulse (3)
    sep.gifMOV:6-4 CC:8 BS:8 PH:8 WIP:13 ARM:0 BTS:-3 STR:1
    sep.gifRegular, Not Impetuous, G: Servant
    sep.gifCH: Mimetism

61_3.pngDEVA Lieutenant Combi Rifle, Nanopulser+Devabot / Pistol, Knife (26)
    sep.gifMOV:4-4 CC:14 BS:12 PH:11 WIP:15 ARM:2 BTS:-3 W:1
    sep.gifRegular, Not Impetuous, Cube, G: Synchronized
    sep.gifV: No Wound Incapacitation, Lieutenant

sep.gifsep.gif61_3.pngDEVABOT Heavy Flamethrower / Electric Pulse
    sep.gifsep.gifsep.gifMOV:6-4 CC:8 BS:10 PH:8 WIP:11 ARM:0 BTS:-3 W:1
    sep.gifsep.gifsep.gifRegular, Not Impetuous, G: Synchronized, G: Synchronized
    sep.gifsep.gifsep.gifLieutenant

Group 2 (Reg: 7/Irr: 0):

61_9.pngMYRMIDON Lieutenant Combi Rifle, Nanopulser, Smoke Grenades / Pistol, AP CCW (32)
    sep.gifMOV:4-4 CC:17 BS:12 PH:13 WIP:14 ARM:2 BTS:-3 W:1
    sep.gifRegular, Frenzy, Cube
    sep.gifMartial Arts L3, ODD: Optical Disruptor, V: No Wound Incapacitation, Lieutenant

61_6.pngNAGA Hacker Combi Rifle / Pistol, Knife (37 | 0.5)
    sep.gifMOV:4-4 CC:13 BS:12 PH:12 WIP:14 ARM:1 BTS:0 W:1
    sep.gifRegular, Not Impetuous, Cube
    sep.gifCH: Camouflage, Infiltration, V: Dogged, Hacking Device

61_8.png2x MYRMIDON Spitfire, Nanopulser, Smoke Grenades / Pistol, AP CCW (32 | 1)
    sep.gifMOV:4-4 CC:17 BS:12 PH:13 WIP:13 ARM:2 BTS:0 W:1
    sep.gifMartial Arts L3, ODD: Optical Disruptor

61_8.png3x MYRMIDON Chain Rifle, Nanopulser, Smoke Grenades / Pistol, AP CCW (16)
    sep.gifMOV:4-4 CC:17 BS:12 PH:13 WIP:13 ARM:2 BTS:0 W:1
    sep.gifMartial Arts L3, ODD: Optical Disruptor

298 Points | SWC: 6

ARMY CODE:
    eNpVx7ENACAIBdFp/DWgENiN4cXQSHMvZ7yEQODkaBzysL6J/mxoNcCQNJyqj8rsBeLFF7I=

Army Infinity v.3.0.

OtakuD00D, I'd say that the Posthuman is comparable to an Asura. It doesn't have a level three multispectral visor, but it can bring a lot of other tools to the table. Achilles is more badass, but he's got fury so you'd better be ready to deal with impetuous moves. The Posthuman really wants to be used carefully to make the most of each of the body's differences. Use the sniper to limit the enemy's movement, then capitalize on that with the assault body. Use the support body to keep your army running efficiently.

This is all theory of course, I still haven't played a game.

kaorti on
    edited April 2011
    kaorti wrote: »
    You would have to choose between the doctor and the engineer, they're on the same body and you can't take the same body twice.

Ah, I was wondering about that. Looking at the Lieutenant page of the wiki, you can only have one Lieutenant in an army.

You could go MK1 Engineer, MK2 Hacker, MK3 Spitfire, 3 Daks with Medikits and 3 Netrods for 134 points, giving you quite the utility box. Or you can drop the Medikits for 12 points to spend on something else.

Onto the topic of VASSAL again, if we could just rig up some simple cover, (buildings, crates, trees and bushes, cars) a handful of numbered tokens of various sizes for each faction, and status tokens, we should be able to do everything from there until someone decides to take it further.

Carnarvon on
  • DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The models for infinity have always interested me but whenm reading through the rules it seems to be alot of little rules / extra complications due to all he cool stuf that can be brought back.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It looks very complicated on the outside, but it's really quite simple. Everything prettymcuh jsut boils down to a d20 roll where you have to get as close to your target number but not over. The plethora of special rules, generally either allow you to roll d20s at more things, or with bigger bonuses/smaller penalties.

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, I definatliy haven't ever played. I just know reading through the book and then seeing page after page it seemed quite intimidating.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

edited April 2011
    Draeven wrote: »
    Yeah, I definatliy haven't ever played. I just know reading through the book and then seeing page after page it seemed quite intimidating.

Each player has an army. An army can consist of any number of models, but models must be grouped into units of 10. Each army has one Lieutenant. As long as the Lieutenant is alive, each model supplies an Order to its unit. Orders are stored in a pool, and each model can spend any number of orders it has access to. When a model uses an order, it can spend it on actions like moving or shooting. If the Lieutenant is dead, a model can only spend its own order.

Whenever a model performs an action, it either automatically succeeds(things like moving), makes a characteristic check(reviving another model), or makes a face-to-face roll(shooting someone who shoots back). To succeed on a characteristic check, a model must roll 1d20 and have the result be equal to or less than the characteristic. A face-to-face roll is the same as the characteristic check, except that the check is also performed by an enemy model; the model who rolls the highest number (without going over his characteristic value) wins the face-to-face and performs the action while the other model is unable to perform the action. Whenever a model rolls a number exactly equal to his characteristic (a model with BS13 rolls a 13) he scores a critical hit and automatically wins the face-to-face roll.

Whenever a model spends an order to perform any action while an enemy model has line of sight to that model, that enemy model may take an Automatic Reaction Order(ARO) and immediately spend one order for free.

At the beginning of your turn, if you have fewer than 60% of your army's point total worth of models on the field, all of your models must take a move action to your side of the deployment zone unless you spend an order for each model you wish to have ignore this rule. Once all of your models are dead, unconscious, or have fled from the battle, you lose.

Bam. Now you know how to play Infinity. The only caveats to that walkthrough is that every single one of those rules can be circumvented by a special rule on a model, and there's some minutia about actions and AROs. You should check the Wiki, it's pretty awesome at explaining everything.

Carnarvon on
    edited April 2011
    My friend would just go "lol." and lob EMP grenades at them. :(

An easier way of knowing how to play Infinity: Have you ever played Valkyria Chronicles?

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Does anybody visit the Beastsofwar site? I stumbled across it when they showed some starter games of Warmachine, but they did an Infinity week where they talked with the makers, opened some of the starter boxed sets, talked about some of the rules, and so on.

here is their demo game

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTzxn7vXfkI&feature=player_embedded

and here is the rest of the stuff

(I'm linking this stuff, because sometimes it's just easier to get a grasp of the rules seeing a game being played)

Redcoat-13 on
    PSN Fleety2009
    edited April 2011
    Carnarvon on
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If I ever played this game, I'd probably play as those Scots.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • AsherAsher Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The Caledonians are crazy awesome.

One of my friends plays them and discovered that screaming "SCOTLAND THE BRAVE!" and charging with claymores across open ground towards Heavy Infantry can sometimes work pretty damn well.

Asher on
    I put models on Instagram now: asher_paints
  • mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I love skirmish-style games, and the art style for this is pretty refreshing. Unfortunately if I can't find people to get it up for 40k, I don't know how I'll get someone around here to try this.

A Vassal mod seems like it'd do me little good, half of my draw to this game is the schweet models.

mr_mich on
    edited April 2011
    You can make a 300 point army for less than a Land Raider. You could try buying two armies and entice them with a game, or proxy some models with the free short rules.

Carnarvon on
    edited April 2011
    those videos were quite enlightening, seems they really have some very tight rules. Though whats to stop someone from running an all camo / super stealth force ?

Draeven on

edited April 2011
    Multispectral visors, etc etc.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
    edited April 2011
    those videos were quite enlightening, seems they really have some very tight rules. Though whats to stop someone from running an all camo / super stealth force ?

So long as you have a lieutenant, nothing. You can have any model roll to discover any camouflage marker he has line of sight to, so if you happen to have a camo marker out of cover and it gets discovered, it will be really dead really fast.

Past that, a camo marker doesn't add its order to the order pool, so you'd only be able to each model once per turn.

Carnarvon on
    edited April 2011
    Actually, markers do add their orders to the pool. The Beasts of War play sample got that wrong. There are a couple exceptions though:
    1) multiple models may be deployed under a single marker. That marker will only add one order to the pool, no matter how many models are under it.

2) TO Camo troops can have "hidden deployment" which means that you write down where they are deployed, and don't place any marker at all. These troops don't count as on the board until they move (which reveals them as a TO marker) or they attack, which completely reveals them. As long as they don't act, they don't provide a marker, which means they don't grant an order. It also means that you don't want a TO Camo hacker or Lieutenant. The hacker won't let you run remotes if he uses hidden deployment, and a hidden deployment Lieutenant means that you count as being in "loss of Lieutenant" Until at least a marker is present to represent him.

You could bring an all camo list if you wanted, but it'd be more expensive than similar units without camo. Ariadna has a lot of camo units though.

kaorti on
    edited April 2011
    Ahhh, I see I see.

Draeven on

edited April 2011
    Any thoughts on the combined army ? manly the red face monkey looking folks. I'm not too sure about the bug looking dudes, though it seems like an army dominated by alien looking mans.

Draeven on

• SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    IIRC, they're a pretty high tech, high skill elite army. Been a while since I've played though. If you're interested in them though, you can use their free army building software + rules wiki to find out all you want to know about any of the models in the game.

SJ on
    edited April 2011
    The Speculo Killer seems awesome.

*runs up to a tank*

*Cuts it in half*

kaorti on
    edited April 2011
    Fuck yeah. I got my 1/8" magnets for warmachine in.

...Along with my Sophotect, Myrmidon Squad, and Small-Based TAG- I mean Achilles.

Fuck the Combined Army and their shotgun-like Plasma weapons that have EMP capabilities. :(

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    well that makes me want to do CA even more

SJ on
    edited April 2011
    Any ideas for a couple box sets that would be good intro boxes ? i know one of them will be the combined arms cause i really dig the look of the murats. Just curious as to the other factions that stand up well agaisnt them ?

Draeven on

edited April 2011
    Good news everyone! Someone is working on a MapTools mod for Infinity!
    infinitool.jpg
    clipboard02tw.jpg

So far all the stat lines are in, and right now they're just working on ironing out some macros. I think it might be finished by tonight.

Neat thing about MapTool is that you can upload your own tokens just by making an image file and telling the program where to find it. This is great for things like terrain, because you can readjust the size of it and even put stuff like height, or if a model can climb it or not, in the name field or note box.

Carnarvon on
    edited April 2011
    Any ideas for a couple box sets that would be good intro boxes ? i know one of them will be the combined arms cause i really dig the look of the murats. Just curious as to the other factions that stand up well agaisnt them ?

Each faction has one or two separate intro boxes, and all they're all rather well balanced against each other.

Past that, if you wanted to make your 150pt armies, then just follow this formula:

3x Cheap Light Infantry
    1x Camouflage
    1x Heavy Infantry

The rest is up to your points remaining. I'd probably go for some medium infantry or some melee troops.

Carnarvon on
    edited April 2011
    Oh fuck yes. I'll reflect that in the OP. I was half-thinking about Maptools the other night. It actually would be a lot better suited towards Infinity, now that I think about it. Keep us posted!

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
    edited April 2011
    Here's a shot of a game in progress. Highlights include a Mobile Brigada surviving 3 attacks from a Yu-Jing assassin with CC 20.

Two problems with maptools: You can check ranges privately, meaning that cheating is as easy as clicking a button. The second is that there's no way to check line of sight without also checking range.

The answer for the first one is don't cheat. To the second, you can check LoS by holding a piece of paper up to your monitor. If players disagree on LoS, then you would break out the ruler.

Carnarvon on
This discussion has been closed.