As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Portal 2! IT'S HERE! IT'S OUT!

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    What hardtarget said.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    That's...

Huh? That's really fucking stupid and weird sounding, y'know what with Microsoft being so closely connected with the PC.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Well they're related with hardware, but GFWL has shown us than when it comes to games they know about as much as a 2 year old trying to organise a holiday.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    Hank_ScorpioHank_Scorpio Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    They've mentioned you're hundreds of years out. So, it's well after the events of HL2.

The important take away here however is that Chell steps out of the elevator at the end and into a wide open wheat field on a sunny blue sky kinda day.

Which to me means that Gordon was able to save Earth and that in the future the Combine are gone and the planet was able to be saved, to an extent.

But that's to me

There were plenty of wide expanses of forest and sunny clear skies in Episode 2.

Hank_Scorpio on
  • Options
    JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Winky wrote: »
    So, I went through the trouble of digging through the sound files in the game
    And I wasn't crazy, and Wheatley did say he woke up 5 or 6 subjects before you, trying to get them to get the portal gun, but they all died horrible deaths.

How did you do this? Like, step by step; I'm using Nem's tools but when I attempt the extraction on anything but the commentary tracks the WAV files come out unplayable. Should I be using the x86 executable of gcfscape?

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    alternate explanation for the very end:
    glados has robots that maintain the field for appearances, and everything beyond the field is a wasteland. Also were pretty sure that its been said that it's probably a solar farm as well, and those require alot of maintenance.

Hardtarget wrote: »
    totally disagree on that because multiple times in HL2
    is gordon outside driving around with the sun shining down in the middle of nowhere so it's not like the combine invaded and then shut off the sun

Not necessarily:
    I think its part of a major retcon to be honest, becuase they "ruined" the ocean and any place with sand with alien lifeforms(not counting cities with the ceiling hangers/zombies/headcrabs, but somehow not the forest/other biomes?

Is the lack of wildlife in the forest technological issues or because its been wiped out?

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    They've mentioned you're hundreds of years out. So, it's well after the events of HL2.

The important take away here however is that Chell steps out of the elevator at the end and into a wide open wheat field on a sunny blue sky kinda day.

Which to me means that Gordon was able to save Earth and that in the future the Combine are gone and the planet was able to be saved, to an extent.

But that's to me

There were plenty of wide expanses of forest and sunny clear skies in Episode 2.

People continue to bring this up, time and time again.

But it makes no sense to try and use it as an argument, since the Combine never got a chance to really fuck with our planet. At least as far as we've seen, y'know?

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    They fuck up the planet pretty well arthil, see my edit above.

DiannaoChong on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Arthil wrote: »
    That's...

Huh? That's really fucking stupid and weird sounding, y'know what with Microsoft being so closely connected with the PC.

Well, on the PS3 version, it has full Steam integration, which I think is also how it updates the game. I read an interview with Doug Lombardi a few days ago where he said "All I can say is, we offered it to everyone." I guess Microsoft declined to allow Steam.

On the other hand, PSN is still currently down, so I cannot get onto Steam on my PS3 right now. And I have no idea if the trophies I earned last night will also sync up with Steam to get the corresponding Steam achievements.

SteevL on
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    SteevL wrote: »
    That's...

Well, on the PS3 version, it has full Steam integration, which I think is also how it updates the game. I read an interview with Doug Lombardi a few days ago where he said "All I can say is, we offered it to everyone." I guess Microsoft declined to allow Steam.

On the other hand, PSN is still currently down, so I cannot get onto Steam on my PS3 right now. And I have no idea if the trophies I earned last night will also sync up with Steam to get the corresponding Steam achievements.

Did you get the trophies even while the PSN was down? If so, I would think Steam would run a check when you start it up/sync it with the "cloud," and that should sync trophies to achievements.

That's just a guess though, no way of knowing until they fix PSN.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Icemopper wrote: »
    SteevL wrote: »
    That's...

Did you get the trophies even while the PSN was down? If so, I would think Steam would run a check when you start it up/sync it with the "cloud," and that should sync trophies to achievements.

That's just a guess though, no way of knowing until they fix PSN.

Yeah, I definitely got the trophies. But trophies are always basically earned "offline" even if you're connected to PSN. They don't seem to sync up with the online PSN account until you actually try to look at which ones you've earned from the crossmedia bar. I guess we'll see what happens in a few hours/days/whenever PSN fixes its shit.

SteevL on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    And I wasn't crazy, and Wheatley did say he woke up 5 or 6 subjects before you, trying to get them to get the portal gun, but they all died horrible deaths.

If you go through the developer commentary they mention this, saying it was originally a much bigger part of the story but got sidelined.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Beat SP. Took an entire day, so I guess I suck at it. I was ready to write it off as an "okay" game, but it really took off once the escape began.
    Is it just me or did the ending cinematic look kind of low quality, in terms of the rendering? I actually preferred the way the normal game looked compared to it. Just a nitpick though.

I feel genuinely sorry for Wheatley. :(

Suriko on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Suriko wrote: »
    Beat SP. Took an entire day, so I guess I suck at it. I was ready to write it off as an "okay" game, but it really took off once the escape began.
    Is it just me or did the ending cinematic look kind of low quality, in terms of the rendering? I actually preferred the way the normal game looked compared to it. Just a nitpick though.

I feel genuinely sorry for Wheatley. :(

If you mean the video quality, they've used shitty bink for the video codec. You can play them if you go to the bink website and download rad tools. As to the rendering quality, I think they used the game engine to render it or something akin to it.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    JEEsus CUHrist....

that last monitor to break for the Smash TV achievement is a flippin bitch to get...

Took me like... 40 minutes

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    are you able to get smash tv with achievements? progress isn't really saved is it?

Alegis on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Only one thought:

Game of the year.

Absolutely marvelous brilliant game. Valve are awesome people.

WMain00 on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Alegis wrote: »
    are you able to get smash tv with achievements? progress isn't really saved is it?

I don't understand your question

I got all the monitors in one sitting if that's what you mean.

Edit: Also, for the longest time Half-Life 2 was my absolute favorite game. Portal 2 has officially dethroned it. At least it is another Valve game that finally defeated it.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Edit: Also, for the longest time Half-Life 2 was my absolute favorite game. Portal 2 has officially dethroned it. At least it is another Valve game that finally defeated it.

Valve has completely taken over my Top 10 list of games. They will forever hold a very special place in my heart.

Icemopper on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Valve has completely taken over my Top 10 list of games. They will forever hold a very special place in my heart.

Completely?

Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Treasure Island Dizzy? :)

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    GrimReaper wrote: »

Completely?

Mario 64, Ocarina of Time, Treasure Island Dizzy? :)

Oh fine, not completely. But they have a very strong hold on many of the spots up there.

I will always love treasure island dizzy!

Icemopper on
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I will go on the record and say that Portal 2 is in my top 2 games, if not number 1, and that no game that comes out this year will beat Portal 2 for GOTY.

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I will go on the record and say that Portal 2 is in my top 2 games, if not number 1, and that no game that comes out this year will beat Portal 2 for GOTY.

I absolutely loved Portal 2. And my best friend finally finished the single player so we started co-op last night and were laughing for hours. But as for being unbeatable...well Diablo 3 is supposed to hit this year, so that could be a rough go for Valve with GOTY.

Mvrck on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    There's also Uncharted 3 and The Last Guardian. It's still going to be a contest.

Willeth on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

I don't understand your question

I got all the monitors in one sitting if that's what you mean.

wait, I meant: with dev commentary

Alegis on
  • Options
    Dayvan CowboyDayvan Cowboy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Willeth wrote: »
    There's also Uncharted 3 and The Last Guardian. It's still going to be a contest.

Uncharted 3, yes. The Last Guardian, not so much.

Dayvan Cowboy on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Oh, yeah I believe cheevos unlock in dev commentary mode.

Can you guys gu0

0ess which game I can't stop thinking about?

(O) Hello!

Skull2185 on
  • Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I hear in Arkham City, Batman creates a Portal Grapple Gun.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Willeth wrote: »

Uncharted 3, yes. The Last Guardian, not so much.

Remembered that afterward but couldn't find the thread to edit :P

And yeah, Arkham City. Hrm.

Willeth on
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Crap, I forgot Arkham City's coming out this year.

Sweeney Tom on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Someone else mentioned earlier saves don't work or something, and for an achievement like that you'd have to track progress throughout tests and not just award an achievement when 1 event occurs, so I'm not sure.

Alegis on
  • Options
    JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Arkham City is going to have to be pretty bloody amazing if it wants to knock Portal around.

Jintor on
  • Options
    Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Just finished playing it, Awesome! Totaly awesome. Now for some spoiler stuff.
    I thought that the way they did the characterization for GlaDOS was amazing. You pretty much wanted to (and succeded in) killing her last game, and you're stuck with her in a kinda, "Oh fine, I guess I need you." sense. For me, it switched from questioning why I was helping her when I heard her repeat Caroline's lines and she freaked out, shutting down.

Amazeing piece of charatarization, but the real turning point was when she is thinking about why she knows Caroline, and then says, "Oh my god. Listen, you're doing great. You can handle this for now, right? I need to think..." I was actually a bit freaked, if she's being nice, she must be really freaking out. It kinda showed her actually thinking and being scared for once. For me, that was the big turning where I actually wanted to help, rather than just having to drag PotatDOS around.

Ghostly Clockwork on
    FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Jaunty wrote: »

How did you do this? Like, step by step; I'm using Nem's tools but when I attempt the extraction on anything but the commentary tracks the WAV files come out unplayable. Should I be using the x86 executable of gcfscape?

I just downloaded the newest gcfscape, then opened up Steam\steamapps\common\portal 2\portal 2\pak01_dir.vpk.

Winky on
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Someone else mentioned earlier saves don't work or something, and for an achievement like that you'd have to track progress throughout tests and not just award an achievement when 1 event occurs, so I'm not sure.

That's a valid point. I dunno if that one would pop in dev commentary. I mean, you can't save but it probably tracks the monitor smashings. You would probably want to do that last monitor where you can save though. Unless you're super confident you can do it in one try.

Skull2185 on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So yesterday people were saying that the credits
    song was implying that GLaDOS didn't actually delete Caroline. Except the song itself has these lyrics:

"Goodbye my only friend (Caroline)
    Oh, did you think I meant you? (Chell)
    That would be funny
    if it weren't so sad
    Well you have been replaced
    I don't need anyone now
    When I delete you maybe
    I'll stop feeling so bad

I just noticed that the other day and wanted to point it out.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Woo, finally got all the single player achievements. Smash tv was a lot easier once I realised that turrets would target the monitors if they could see them. The hardest room by far for me was this one:
    it took some serious finaggling to get over there to snag that turret, even after I had managed to get the other two to go away.
    14w7zuu.jpg

EDIT:

I just downloaded the newest gcfscape, then opened up Steam\steamapps\common\portal 2\portal 2\pak01_dir.vpk.

Weird. Time for a fresh install.

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Woo, finally got all the single player achievements. Smash tv was a lot easier once I realised that turrets would target the monitors if they could see them. The hardest room by far for me was this one:
    it took some serious finaggling to get over there to snag that turret, even after I had managed to get the other two to go away.
    14w7zuu.jpg

I kept trying to snag turrets in the funnel and bring them to me... much frustration was had, then I figured out the right way to do it...

Skull2185 on
  • Options
    BehemothBehemoth Compulsive Seashell Collector Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    So yesterday people were saying that the credits
    song was implying that GLaDOS didn't actually delete Caroline. Except the song itself has these lyrics:

"Goodbye my only friend (Caroline)
    Oh, did you think I meant you? (Chell)
    That would be funny
    if it weren't so sad
    Well you have been replaced
    I don't need anyone now
    When I delete you maybe
    I'll stop feeling so bad

I just noticed that the other day and wanted to point it out.
    Ehhh, I dunno.

Caroline isn't really her "friend". She's part of her AI, not a separate entity or anything. I think that part was just more taunting. Especially since Caroline hasn't been replaced, but Chell certainly has.

Behemoth on
    iQbUbQsZXyt8I.png
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So, I short circuited one of the chapter 5 co-op levels, accidentally.
    So, the first part of the level, you have one person push a button to drop a box, which hits one of the disintegration fields if it's not caught. The other person runs up a ramp with orange gel and catches it in order to prevent it from doing so. Put the box on the button, good job.

You walk outside a little to get to the next room. From outside, you can place a portal back inside the previous room. There's not another field at the entrance to the second part. Place your second portal anywhere, walk through it, grab the box you used in the previous map, and bring it into the second map.
    Voila. You don't have to do ANYTHING in the second room.

Did this the first time through without meaning to :lol:

Jragghen on
This discussion has been closed.