As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Jobs - Bird in Hand or Other One? [Solved]

MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain?ChicagoRegistered User regular
edited April 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I've been doing contract work on and off for awhile now, it's OK as long as it keep coming. Been off for two months now with nothing, so really want to get some work.

Offered a 3 month gig at Acme which originally was 5 when I appiled, starting next week. Have a second interview with Widgets Co. for a 9 month contract.

9 months is much better than 3, and both jobs are similar, Acme is more project-focused, Widgets is more like a HelpDesk role, which they previously had someone working for several years.

So, if go on interview and Widgets offers me job, how bad is it to quit Acme a day in? Problem with contracts is burning both company and placement firm, but also they have to realize we're going to go for the best deal. I wouldn't consider it normally, but 9 months is a long time compared to what I've gotten lately.

Advice?

MichaelLC on

• PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I wouldn't bail once you've accepted the offer.

I guess it depends how large your industry is, but it seems like the burnt bridges would hurt you more than the extra six months would help you.

And yes, they realize you're going to go for the best deal, but they probably expect that to happen before you take a position.

Powerpuppies on
    sig.gif
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Fuck 'em. You're a contractor. If they expected loyalty, they wouldn't have put an expiration date on you and would have offered you benefits.

Unless you're in a really niche industry this perceived transgression will be forgotten by everyone in a month. Hell, in three months Acme probably won't even have a piece of paper with your name on it.

Deebaser on
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    One devil and one angel so far, :)

It's nice to be in this position, and I wouldn't consider Widgets at all if it was even 6 months, but 9 could easily get me though the year and beyond.

The main concern is screwing the first hiring firm; I assume I won't ever get a call back if I go with Widgets.

MichaelLC on
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'd be up front and honest with Acme, if you get an offer form Widgets.

Tell them you received a much more lucrative offer that would make you solvent for the rest of the year and give them the opportunity to match the offer. If not, shake hands and part way.

I don't think anyone would have much anger over that in this economy.

Also, you are a contractor - you go where the money is.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
  • EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yep, the solution is to tell Acme what the deal is and why you're planning to leave -- if it happens. If it doesn't happen, no worries. If it does, you tell Acme "Hey, I know I just started, but as I'm doing contract work, I received another offer for a 9 month contract that is much better for me. I mention this so you have some options and can plan accordingly."

Whether you want to suggest they counteroffer is up to you. But they understand that people can come & go, and it's much less of a big deal for temp and contract work -- they'll have a new You in two weeks or less, especially since there's less paperwork for benefits, etc.

My last job had a few people who worked a short while and left, either due to not liking the job or getting another offer and accepting it instead. I would imagine the hiring managers would not be that interested in re-hiring them in the future, but the opposite is true -- if a company extends you an offer and you decline, you're in a similar boat where the hiring manager probably wouldn't extend you another offer in the near future.

I'd say accept Acme and start working, and if Widgets comes through, tell Acme what the deal is.

EggyToast on
    || Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Fuck 'em. You're a contractor. If they expected loyalty, they wouldn't have put an expiration date on you and would have offered you benefits.

Unless you're in a really niche industry this perceived transgression will be forgotten by everyone in a month. Hell, in three months Acme probably won't even have a piece of paper with your name on it.
    Yup. They're hiring contractors because they don't have to pay you benefits. If they want loyalty, they need to offer some in return.

You should be every bit as mercenary as they are.

Thanatos on
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    MegaMan001 wrote: »
    I'd be up front and honest with Acme, if you get an offer form Widgets.

Tell them you received a much more lucrative offer that would make you solvent for the rest of the year and give them the opportunity to match the offer. If not, shake hands and part way.

I don't think anyone would have much anger over that in this economy.

Also, you are a contractor - you go where the money is.

After you sign the contract with Widgets, go tell Acme that you're leaving.

It's not bad form to quit one job shortly after you've accepted it.

L Ron Howard on
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    UPDATE: Widgets offered me the position at the higher rate!

Talked to the Acme recruiters, and they were understandably pissed, but don't think they fault me for doing it, just the timing. I sent that job onto some job groups, so hopefully will pick someone up quick.

Thanks for the advice!

MichaelLC on