As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[STEλM] - Cthulhu Saves the World is Coming to Steam

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The key-compression syndrome is also glaringly apparent in this game (i.e. one button doing multiple things). The worst is when they're inconsistent. For example, toggling the flashlight requires a press on the key. Okay standard enough. Bringing up the generator requires holding down the flashlight key. Okay, I'll deal. On the other hand, to put on the gasmask, you press a key, but to take it off, you have to hold down the button, because just pressing it will change your filters. It would make more interface sense to have them work the same way -- a press to toggle a functionality and a hold to do an alternative action related to it.

Holding down buttons to do something is annoying enough, but I've wasted so many filters because I keep on just tapping the button to take the mask off. I may just be retarded, however.

(The shop menus also are obviously designed for a world where mice don't exist, but since you don't interact with them that often anyway, it's a minor annoyance.)

Zxerol on
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    And yet it's still better than most truely wretched UE3 ports. Like ME2.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Zxerol wrote: »
    The key-compression syndrome is also glaringly apparent in this game (i.e. one button doing multiple things). The worst is when they're inconsistent. For example, toggling the flashlight requires a press on the key. Okay standard enough. Bringing up the generator requires holding down the flashlight key. Okay, I'll deal. On the other hand, to put on the gasmask, you press a key, but to take it off, you have to hold down the button, because just pressing it will change your filters. It would make more interface sense to have them work the same way -- a press to toggle a functionality and a hold to do an alternative action related to it.

Holding down buttons to do something is annoying enough, but I've wasted so many filters because I keep on just tapping the button to take the mask off. I may just be retarded, however.

(The shop menus also are obviously designed for a world where mice don't exist, but since you don't interact with them that often anyway, it's a minor annoyance.)

you aren't

one of my major problems with the game

Tamin on
  • Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Goddamnit you guys I already played Metro 2033 this year. And I have a backlog to get through.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Spoit wrote: »

ME2 I didn't have trouble with the controls... and graphically it wasn't very tweak-able without ini files but then again I didn't really have to mess with it to make it run nicely from the get go.

You know what bugs me though (speaking of controls): The PC port of Bulletstorm. Sure you can tweak the mouse and it is kind of dreamy to run and gun but what the hell is up with the random scored QTEs where you have to press some random button not even generally associated with that type of action?

They basically made every button do everything. Ridiculous.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm confused... did they patch in this mounted machine gun converted into a shotgun? I don't remember it being there before

initiatefailure on
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Al Baron wrote: »
    Hasn't comics taught us to never mess with a gorilla in a library?

I9wwm.jpg

I've read that comic.

It's even less sane than it looks, yet somehow disappointing.

It's probably a good thing that Gorilla doesn't realize he can just read them there legally, or he would have taken over the world.

Morkath on
  • chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Morkath wrote: »
    chiasaur11 wrote: »
    Al Baron wrote: »
    Hasn't comics taught us to never mess with a gorilla in a library?

I9wwm.jpg

I've read that comic.

It's even less sane than it looks, yet somehow disappointing.

It's probably a good thing that Gorilla doesn't realize he can just read them there legally, or he would have taken over the world.

Well, you see

He's a gorilla. He can't get a library card.
    Actually, he's an alien who looks like a gorilla, and to turn human looking to take over the Earth, he has to steal a professor's notes which the Professor hid in those books because he thinks this one guy he knows (who is actually harmless) was a spy or something. The professor died in a car crash, the neighbor guy idly wondering if the professor was secretly evil, so the only way to operate the Gorilla to human machine is in those notes.

But the Gorilla dies in a car crash before he can use them, and the Earth is saved. The end.

chiasaur11 on
  • MorkathMorkath Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    But you don't need a library card to read in the library. And really who is going to fuck with a gorilla reading quietly in a library.
    Wait so the gorilla died in the same way as the professor?

WAS THE GORILLA THE PROFESSOR!

Morkath on
  • LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Did the car crash happen after a car chase, or is there some sort of lame moralizing about the likelihood of car crashes in modern society or something?

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Well fuck Metro 2033 for being unplayable.

My computer can play any game, and has never needed anything done to force them to work. But this piece of shit-coded game does.

First it can't install the physxloader.dll on it's own. Now the monitor doesn't show anything; it just says 'out of range'. The fucking monitor can't show the game ffs! I have the hardware!

Bunch of shit.

Euphoriac on
  • Hank_ScorpioHank_Scorpio Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

And how is it "wretched"?

Hank_Scorpio on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

Spoit has really weird standards

It's best to just ignore him when he says things like this

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

If he'd said ME1 I'd agree with that, but ME2's port was fantastic.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Well, we were talking about poor contextual actions based on limited console buttons? ME2's combination of sprint and cover are particularly annoying. Especially since they're not even locked together on an engine level anyway. And various other PC UI things that were a step back after the care a 3rd party put into the PC port of ME1

EDIT: also, combining the dialogue skip and dialogue select buttons. Which at least they fixed in DA2

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    DCS: A-10 get.

I am a flight sim and steam whore.

L Ron Howard on
  • SparserLogicSparserLogic Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So I beat Portal. Thanks a ton to TheUnsane1 for the gift!

I think I may dig around steam and see if there's anything interesting.

SparserLogic on
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Do we know how long will the potato sack portal 2 content be available?

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This could be considered an Amnesia spoiler I guess?

Think I'm done playing this game for a while. At least I made it past the water!

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

It's up to the individual devs, I think. The Bit.Trip people, for example, stated something like "Due to popular demand, we've decided to leave the <TEST> level in the game."

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Lord Yod wrote: »
    This could be considered an Amnesia spoiler I guess?

Think I'm done playing this game for a while. At least I made it past the water!

Haha. That doorway is exactly where I'm stuck. The coast looked completely clear when I was hiding in the corner. Stood up, turned through the doorway, and smashed into Mr. Flappy Jaw. Dead.

AaronKI on
    soempty.jpg
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Vegan wrote: »

It's up to the individual devs, I think. The Bit.Trip people, for example, stated something like "Due to popular demand, we've decided to leave the <TEST> level in the game."

I really hope most of the devs do this

I mean, due to the way Killing Floor works that map is now out in the wild, so it's not going anywhere.

But I'd really like to be able to keep the Justine DLC for Amnesia so I can play through it again sometime.

Maddoc on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2011
    Honestly, I hope Tripwire just keeps GLaDOS as the trader in Killing Floor forever.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Vegan wrote: »

I really hope most of the devs do this

I mean, due to the way Killing Floor works that map is now out in the wild, so it's not going anywhere.

But I'd really like to be able to keep the Justine DLC for Amnesia so I can play through it again sometime.

They are keeping Justine and enabling saves.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    Honestly, I hope Tripwire just keeps GLaDOS as the trader in Killing Floor forever.

That reminds me, did GlaDOS's voice sound a bit off to anyone else in Killing Floor?

SteevL on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm pretty sure Tripwire did their GlaDOS voices in-house, she sounds different in The Ball too.

Dehumanized on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2011
    It's also funny because GLaDOS makes more sense as the trader than the Trader herself.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Just finished up the single player Portal 2 achievements. Now to wait for my buddy who got the ps3 version to be able to get on for coop.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    OK gents, and I use this term loosely, since this /is/ the steam thread and I'm just that kind of dood...

Contest Time!

The contest is a simple one. I think you are all assholes. This is indeed fact. So in that theme, this contest is a gallery of why human's can't be trusted.

How do you enter? Well, simple! Be an asshole. Video or screenshot(s) are valid entries. Something done after this posting, not some previous work squirreled away.

This can, of course, be against a CPU opponent, but acts of untrustworthiness against actual people will of course get you more points.

This doesn't have to be screwing over your own team or anything either (Though that's always hilarious) it can just as easily be really screwing over your opponents or just ganking strangers.

The reward will be, of course, Portal 2. Being the motivation for this theme.

The deadline will be... I dunno, what's today? 20th? So the 27th. A week should be sufficient. Yes, I know, terribly long and all. Still, I want those working and such to have a fair chance as well.

Editing in: PM me a link to your entry post. I'm usually lurking most of the day, either from home or my phone, but Id rather not miss your entry (or just forget about it. Frankly, I'm a bit goldfishy at times.) Also usual 'be someone' limitation. Don't need a billion posts or anything but having existed for more than a month and at least made a passable attempt at being a part of this classy community would be best.

Herpy derp derp. Still two more days. Go go, or something. Free game for minimal effort. Cant be that bad.

Awright. Idolninja and I did some co-op Saints Row 2 the other night. Here's a pic of me killing a bunch of people (mainly women) with a sledge hammer, just because. I guess that's pretty much being an asshole.
    main.php?cmd=imageorig&var1=110422_SR2_coop_Drake%2Fsr2_pc+2011-04-23+00-11-41-55.jpg

Here's another one of me killing a bunch of cops with a flamethrower. I guess that qualifies too?
    main.php?cmd=imageorig&var1=110422_SR2_coop_Drake%2Fsr2_pc+2011-04-22+23-07-05-80.jpg

And finally, here's me burnin' rubber, leaving Idol behind for the cops. I'd say that's a serious violation of The Code, making me a pretty huge asshole.
    main.php?cmd=image&var1=110422_SR2_coop_Drake%2Fsr2_pc+2011-04-22+22-25-44-04.jpg&var2=700_85

edit: Idol just informed me that I knocked him out with the sledgehammer in that first pic, and that is him laying on the ground behind me. I'm such an asshole.

Drake on
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    It's also funny because GLaDOS makes more sense as the trader than the Trader herself.

It'd be neat if they kept GlaDOS around, but when playing on a server with standard settings you'd see her maybe 1 in 10 map rotations.

Dehumanized on
  • Bruce ForsythBruce Forsyth Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I figured I'd give the asshole contest a shot. I thought trying it as Batman might help, since he's kind of a dick, at least from certain criminal perspectives (Although he's no Superman, of course). As I'm not very experienced in dickery, I decided it best to do this in a one-on-one setting. Sadly, the game spawned several inmates, so I had to take care of all but one of them first.
    Nice and safe. They won't trouble anyone up there.
    2011042500003.jpg
    Sadly, my intended target didn't take this well and, I must say given the situation, began to freak out a bit more than I think is warranted, shooting randomly at walls and such. I attempted to get his attention by throwing batarangs at walls near him (Sort of a "Hey, I'm up here."). Eventually my aim failed me and I accidently hit him, rendering him unconscious for several seconds. Not one to be deterred, he was actually rendered unconscious three more times, still refusing to look up. Eventually I had enough and realized I needed something louder to get this ball of assholery rolling. I waited until he was near his friends...
    Three human bodies falling onto a metal walkway should make a fairly loud noise, yes?
    2011042500006.jpg
    ... And it still wasn't enough to get him to look up. Ignored and dejected, I gave up on trying to be an asshole to this AI character. Just not before breaking his face with the ground.

Bruce Forsyth on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

It's pretty good!

The pdf flight manual is almost 700 pages....

Sir Carcass on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

It's pretty good!

Hmm..

A large flight manual is almost always a sign that I want it. I still look at my Falcon 3.0 manual from time to time because I don't know why.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Malkor wrote: »

It's pretty good!

Hmm..

A large flight manual is almost always a sign that I want it. I still look at my Falcon 3.0 manual from time to time because I don't know why.

Near as I can tell, every button and switch does what it does in the real thing, and there are a lot of buttons and switches. One of the training missions is how to start up the plane, and he throws a lot of terms and acronyms at you that mean nothing to me, yet anyway. I'll defintely have to do that one a few times before I remember half of it.

This is definitely a game that would benefit a lot from TrackIR, because I imagine you'll be looking down a lot.

Sir Carcass on
  • JazzJazz Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Finally played this; it's effectively a Railworks demo where you get to drive the Flying Scotsman on a short route.

Tried it twice, once properly, and again just flat-out to see if I could derail the train by cornering too fast (I did, right as I was coming into a station, no less). The "simple" controls - little more than throttle/brake & camera - seemed to stay on the second time although I thought I'd turned them off for the second run.

It was actually pretty enjoyable. I could see picking up Railworks on a stupid-ass sale price, not that it'll probably ever be low enough for me to actually consider... but still. Pretty neat.

(It helps that I do have a real soft spot for steam locomotives. /nerd )

Jazz on
  • TikhonTikhon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Well, my life turned upside down recently and I just moved somewhere else because I needed a change of scenery. Turns out the internet here is good enough I can play online again! Its not great, but I played Halo for abour 30 minutes last night it only lagged once or twice.

Anyone have a spare copy of TF2?

Tikhon on
    cockman.jpg
  • IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Tikhon wrote: »
    Well, my life turned upside down recently and I just moved somewhere else because I needed a change of scenery. Turns out the internet here is good enough I can play online again! Its not great, but I played Halo for abour 30 minutes last night it only lagged once or twice.

Anyone have a spare copy of TF2?

I have TF: Classic I think if you want that?

Icemopper on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    ah, TFC, where the medic is about the best offensive class in the game.

Warped beyond belief.

Zxerol on
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Drake wrote: »
    OK gents, and I use this term loosely, since this /is/ the steam thread and I'm just that kind of dood...

Contest Time!

The contest is a simple one. I think you are all assholes. This is indeed fact. So in that theme, this contest is a gallery of why human's can't be trusted.

How do you enter? Well, simple! Be an asshole. Video or screenshot(s) are valid entries. Something done after this posting, not some previous work squirreled away.

This can, of course, be against a CPU opponent, but acts of untrustworthiness against actual people will of course get you more points.

This doesn't have to be screwing over your own team or anything either (Though that's always hilarious) it can just as easily be really screwing over your opponents or just ganking strangers.

The reward will be, of course, Portal 2. Being the motivation for this theme.

The deadline will be... I dunno, what's today? 20th? So the 27th. A week should be sufficient. Yes, I know, terribly long and all. Still, I want those working and such to have a fair chance as well.

Editing in: PM me a link to your entry post. I'm usually lurking most of the day, either from home or my phone, but Id rather not miss your entry (or just forget about it. Frankly, I'm a bit goldfishy at times.) Also usual 'be someone' limitation. Don't need a billion posts or anything but having existed for more than a month and at least made a passable attempt at being a part of this classy community would be best.

Herpy derp derp. Still two more days. Go go, or something. Free game for minimal effort. Cant be that bad.

Awright. Idolninja and I did some co-op Saints Row 2 the other night. Here's a pic of me killing a bunch of people (mainly women) with a sledge hammer, just because. I guess that's pretty much being an asshole.
    main.php?cmd=imageorig&var1=110422_SR2_coop_Drake%2Fsr2_pc+2011-04-23+00-11-41-55.jpg

Here's another one of me killing a bunch of cops with a flamethrower. I guess that qualifies too?
    main.php?cmd=imageorig&var1=110422_SR2_coop_Drake%2Fsr2_pc+2011-04-22+23-07-05-80.jpg

And finally, here's me burnin' rubber, leaving Idol behind for the cops. I'd say that's a serious violation of The Code, making me a pretty huge asshole.
    main.php?cmd=image&var1=110422_SR2_coop_Drake%2Fsr2_pc+2011-04-22+22-25-44-04.jpg&var2=700_85

Damn if I didn't already have Portal 2 I'd do something awful RL on camera.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • ColorlessGreenColorlessGreen Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Jazz wrote: »
    I could see picking up Railworks

I have been waiting to see someone say this with a straight face for quite some time.

ColorlessGreen on
    Hearthstone (NA, EU, Asia): Ceegee#1473 - spectators welcome.
This discussion has been closed.