As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Use the new PSN down thread

• Options
    FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    With the possibility of credit card info being stolen, customers should have been informed much, much sooner. Terrible move.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    ...Still better than paying for Peer to Peer.

I was going to put something snarky here, but can't we just stop with this crap? this isn't gamefaqs, we don't care about system warz bs

ronzo on
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Although we are still investigating the details of this incident, we believe that an unauthorized person has obtained every bit of information about yourself up to and including the name of your dog and when/if you lost your virginity. If you have any friends or know anyone who also owns a Playstation 3 console, an unauthorized person probably got all their shit too. While there is no evidence at this time as to exactly how much of this information they truly obtained, we have to try and legally cover our asses by warning you, even if it is nearly a week late. On the bright side they got millions of other people's information too so it will probably be a while before they get to using yours. Maybe. Probably. Eh...they did get that week head start so you're probably screwed already.

Lars on
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I think they are being more cautious about the cc numbers then anything. I work in a point of sale development job for a large chain of stores and its more likely they got encrypted data if anything then actual numbers. Sony may have it set up so that the decryption cant be broken as it exists.

That said, im not happy about all this, but being in the computer biz, i cant quite blame sony. its not like they have absolute shit for security, its that there are asshats that want to break it. Lets blame them instead.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    Do you think it's possible that Sony knows for sure whether or not credit card information was obtained and is claiming that they're unsure to avoid any liability?

Vanguard on
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Oh what the fuck. They waited this long to tell us this? Bad form, Sony.

I mean, fuck the hacker who did this, seriously. He can rot in the lowest circle of whatever hell is the worst. But if all of this was enabled through a combination of "Random number = Constant" and "Are you a dev console?", then Sony has culpability in this too.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So when should we expect there to be a class-action lawsuit, and how do we get a slice of that pie?

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

I agree with you, but while we're not paying for that, there's a possibility that we're paying for someone's international airline tickets in the near future.

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Figgy wrote: »
    With the possibility of credit card info being stolen, customers should have been informed much, much sooner. Terrible move.

This.

If they didn't think it was a possibility and have since found out it is possible that's kind of understandable from the perspective that needlessly causing customers to have to get new debit cards can be a giant hassle for the customers (having to change over automatic debits and whatnot).

Even then though taking this long to find out CC info might have been compromised is inexcusable. Finding out whether that was the case or not should have been the number one priority after getting everything locked down.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    azith28 wrote: »
    I think they are being more cautious about the cc numbers then anything. I work in a point of sale development job for a large chain of stores and its more likely they got encrypted data if anything then actual numbers. Sony may have it set up so that the decryption cant be broken as it exists.

That said, im not happy about all this, but being in the computer biz, i cant quite blame sony. its not like they have absolute shit for security, its that there are asshats that want to break it. Lets blame them instead.

Except it's looking like they really do have absolute shit for security.

Half the blame should go to the hackers, sure. But that other half deserves to go straight to the fucking security guard who let people in without even carding them.

Now I'm really starting to regret buying that Disgaea DLC back in January. If I ever decide to buy anything off PSN again, and that's a pretty big if, you can be damn sure it'll be with point cards from now on.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Figgy wrote: »

Yeah, people are going to be livid about this kind of fuck-up.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    hrrm, is there any way to change your password/remove credit card info with the network down?

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    B:L wrote: »
    So when should we expect there to be a class-action lawsuit, and how do we get a slice of that pie?

Trying to hold Sony responsible for any fraud caused by this I could see but aside from that I don't really know what angle you'd take for a class action suit.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I wonder how the hackers got the credit card info. Knowing Sony, they probably just asked the system politely.

Couscous on
  • Options
    KuratosuKuratosu Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This is bad.

ugh

Kuratosu on
    Click spoiler for Backloggery, and gamer info:
    sig.gif
    Gamer Tag: LeeWay0
    PSN: Leeway0
  • Options
    Fantastication2Fantastication2 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    azith28 wrote: »

Here's hoping that the PSN CC crypto implementation was better than the PS3 private key implementation.

Near 70 million users personal info is still a huge problem, even without credit card details added to it.

Fantastication2 on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I wish I could know what my secret question(s) were so I never use them again in anything else.

SteevL on
  • Options
    MonkeyConQuesoMonkeyConQueso No more MH Claw Happy handsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Couscous wrote: »
    I wonder how the hackers got the credit card info. Knowing Sony, they probably just asked the system politely.

Um, so far we're not sure anyone got CC info. It's possible, but not confirmed.

The main thing that pisses me off is that all other PII has been confirmed. Name, Address, Phone, Account name, Password, etc... That can be used for many different things in many different places.

This isn't going to go over well, and I hope to eff they trace who got the data. They should have logs up of people accessing the DEV network, and it shouldn't be a huge list. Here's hoping they did SOMETHING right. Doubtful though :(

MonkeyConQueso on
    PSN : Aubvry ;; WiiU/XBL/Steam : MonkeyConQueso ;; 3DS FC : 4553-9982-3786
    Destiny! : Warlock - Titan - Hunter
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Just double sucks because you don't log into the PSN with your gamer tag; you log in with your email address as your username.

Which, like, every major site (Amazon, some banks, etc) does. So if you have the same password for everything....

ugh

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I started building my own machines years ago for one reason: To liberate myself from the fucking computer shops. Back in the 486/Pentium days, I cannot BEGIN to count the number of times I gave my computer to a shop, only to let them hrm and haa over it for weeks and charge me labor - and then return the thing to me broken after I paid them.

Computers do some weird shit, and building them yourself does not exclude you from their quirks. But for me, I'd rather be in total control of my machine. If something does go wrong, I'd rather be baffled about what the hell the problem is myself than pay some guy I don't know from Adam so he can be baffled. In my experience the people behind the counter are going to be clueless as to what the problem is, so Google+Forums+NewEgg wind up being cheaper, faster, and safer.

Uhhh, right, PSN thread. By this point, it does seem like the "Rebug" theory is gaining more credence. The fact that the developer network is forcing new firmware seems to lend strength to the theory, in which case the idea of Sony rebuilding the code of the entire network is understandable, if unfortunate. I still don't know why they shrugged their shoulders and said "I dunno" regarding CC information, though. Even in the "Rebug" scenario that stuff should be secure, and they should be confident in saying it is.

I stopped building machines for one reason: to liberate myself from the ardor of having to do all that just to play a game. I don't build cars I want to drive either, though given my background and my family, it'd be no more inconvenient. I use desktops to play games. I can use anything from a laptop to a telephone to check emails in this day and age. Gaming is pretty much an exclusive use of desktops. In the Pentium/486 period, this wasn't quite the same thing, for obvious reasons, and not so obvious ones: I spent most of my life traveling, so if a computer broke, it broke, and there was no solution to it. Try finding someone who'll ship replacement components to a working compound in Sumatra in a reasonable and timely manner in the mid 90s. Not easy. I'm in the US now, but last I checked, NewEgg doesn't ship to Taiwan anyway.

In the end of the day, it doesn't matter how perfect you are--things sometimes don't work. That's WHY we have RMA, simple as that. You can be the greatest builder who ever lived, but if a GPU is a dud, it's a dud. You're never going to have complete control because you don't control the assembly lines. I don't want to deal with that--and now, between my job and graduate school, I don't have the time for it. It's completely true you can be overcharged for a desktop--but you can be overcharged for components just as easily. I don't have time to tool around in my Kia either, so I'd rather trust it to a trainer professional, and I get my PCs from the same people. If I didn't trust someone else to handle this, I'd probably have to swear off laptops as well.
    ronzo wrote: »

I was going to put something snarky here, but can't we just stop with this crap? this isn't gamefaqs, we don't care about system warz bs

"Let's see if anyone who got their credit card information feels that way."

Not very productive, is it?

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Hah, actually with the number of problems I've had getting PSN to actually charge any of my cards I started just buying instant point cards off of Amazon awhile ago.

I'm definitely regretting not deleting out my card info once I started doing that though.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So do we have any fucking clue of what services will be restored by the end of the week?

Couscous on
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Fuck Sony shit the bed on this one. Security question answers, e-mail, password? Thats all but the keys to the car for some people's accounts.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    CC info being compromised is far less of a threat than allllll that other info being leaked.

Your bank covers you in event of CC fraud. It is a minor annoyance to possibly have to get a new card and use that instead (you shouldn't have the info saved anywhere anyways).

But that other stuff opens you up to so much spam and marketing and potential new hacks and all the other businesses and organizations you deal with. Awful.

I want a specific list of all those who had data leaked, and what data.

Like the Gawker leak.

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    Fuck Sony shit the bed on this one. Security question answers, e-mail, password? Thats all but the keys to the car for some people's accounts.

Seriously. When I heard that, the possibility of credit card info being stolen was the least of my worries.

SteevL on
  • Options
    TetraNitroCubaneTetraNitroCubane The Djinnerator At the bottom of a bottleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Just double sucks because you don't log into the PSN with your gamer tag; you log in with your email address as your username.

Which, like, every major site (Amazon, some banks, etc) does. So if you have the same password for everything....

ugh

A painful, but important, realization.

As the resident forum paranoid, I'd like to take a moment to remind everyone that their PSN password ought to be off-limits for the entire web at this point. If you use that password for your email address, go change it immediately. While credit card information getting pinched is still in that nebulous 'maybe' zone, Sony have told us all that our passwords and logins are compromised.

It's the Gawker incident all over again, only on a larger and possibly more damaging scale.

TetraNitroCubane on
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    SteevL wrote: »
    Capt Howdy wrote: »

Seriously. When I heard that, the possibility of credit card info being stolen was the least of my worries.

No kidding. My bank covers CC theft. The rest is all my problem. Only good news is that I use a different passowrd for everything.

Not that it matters. If they have your answers, thats how you reset most passwords when they're "forgotten".

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    JusticeJustice Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This is shitty. Fuck Sony. I've cancelled my credit card and am changing passwords/security questions on my other accounts. What a pain.

Justice on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

I agree with you, but while we're not paying for that, there's a possibility that we're paying for someone's international airline tickets in the near future.

Ever give Microsoft your CC info? I'd rather help someone get to Singapore as at least I'd have a chance of getting that money back. :P

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I'll have to remember to change my email address and password with PSN, if that's possible, when this is over.

Perhaps you could do this through Sony on the internet?

Synthesis on
  • Options
    spamfilterspamfilter Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I don't have a CC on my PSN account but I do use the same email and password for my xbox live account and I do have a CC on that account, so I just went and changed the password for my xbox live account just to be safe.

spamfilter on
  • Options
    WhippyWhippy Moderator, Admin Emeritus Admin Emeritus
    edited April 2011
    And all I wanted to do was buy arcana heart 3.

Whippy on
  • Options
    SagrothSagroth Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I am so pissed right now. Not telling us sooner about this is unacceptable to say the least. There's just no excuse.

Can we put the whole "I'm mad at you for being mad at Sony" BS behind us now? Everyone should be angry about this.

Sagroth on
    3DS Code: 5155-3087-0800
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Now that I think about it I'm not too worried.

The card I used is for online transactions only, is only funded when I manually put funds into it and is set up so it can't overdraft. My security questions are (as always) nonsensical answers since I never use them and my password is specific to that account.

Woo, go go gadget personal online transaction paranoia!

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Oh shit.

What about Steam?

What about the Steam account and password you put in to link your Steam account with PSN?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited April 2011

Ever give Microsoft your CC info? I'd rather help someone get to Singapore as at least I'd have a chance of getting that money back. :P

Well, Xeno, you've convinced me. Once the service comes back online, I'm going to give Sony all my credit card information, even though the only credit card number Microsoft has from me is from one that expired in 2008.

That's how convincing you've been.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Unless Sony used some legendarily shitty, HBGary-style hashing for their passwords (which I'm not putting past them) no one should have the actual password you used to log in to PSN.

The hash? Sure. But the actual plaintext? No.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    tralevtralev Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm really curious about how they are going to go about reset everyone's password and notify them, through possibly compromised email?

tralev on
    Steam: tralev PS3: GeekMcD
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Oh shit.

What about Steam?

What about the Steam account and password you put in to link your Steam account with PSN?

That's a good point. I hadn't thought of that. Since it's the actual information that's in question...I guess you could visualize it like a list...

On the other hand, see the aforementioned points made about the nature of the hash, etc.

Synthesis on