As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

TDS & CR: Guys use the new thread already.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Another off week. :(

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Do they even bother announcing off weeks anymore?

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    DalbozDalboz Resident Puppy Eater Right behind you...Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    They may have only been off last night, or the Daily Show is off this week, but the Colbert Nation website is listing guests for the rest of this week.

Dalboz on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    TDS site/twitter says they're running theme weeks. This week's theme is "reruns". Not sure on TCR.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    SilexSilex Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Glenn Beck wants to compete against Jon and Stephen with a comedy show of his own.
    Meanwhile, some of Beck's future plans appear to be taking shape. He also announced in Albany that "I’m going to make sure that Stephen Colbert and Jon Stewart don’t occupy the space of comedy alone."

Which suggests Beck, who hinted on his TV show a few weeks ago that even he was growing tired of his apocalyptic conspiracy theories, may be looking to bring his comedy show to TV.

http://www.businessinsider.com/glenn-beck-jon-stewart-stephen-colbert-fox-2011-4

Silex on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Wait, he wasn't doing a comedy show before?

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Didn't he make a comedy movie that was as terrible as you would expect?

Couscous on
  • Options
    HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Silex wrote: »
    Glenn Beck wants to compete against Jon and Stephen with a comedy show of his own.
    Meanwhile, some of Beck's future plans appear to be taking shape. He also announced in Albany that "I’m going to make sure that Stephen Colbert and Jon Stewart don’t occupy the space of comedy alone."

Which suggests Beck, who hinted on his TV show a few weeks ago that even he was growing tired of his apocalyptic conspiracy theories, may be looking to bring his comedy show to TV.

http://www.businessinsider.com/glenn-beck-jon-stewart-stephen-colbert-fox-2011-4

Didn't FOX already try to do a conservative sendup of TDS and the show wound up tanking hardcore?

Havelock on
  • Options
    ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Havelock wrote: »

Didn't FOX already try to do a conservative sendup of TDS and the show wound up tanking hardcore?

Was it because it required a conservative Daily Show to have more journalistic integrity than the rest of their bullshit?

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Havelock wrote: »

Was it because it required a conservative Daily Show to have more journalistic integrity than the rest of their bullshit?

Probably a combination of that and the fact that it had less comedic value than a Mallard Fillmore strip.

Havelock on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I found the movie I was thinking of.
    http://www.cracked.com/blog/i-watch-glenn-becks-comedy-tour-regret-it/
    Glenn Beck can't do comedy.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Couscous wrote: »
    I found the movie I was thinking of.
    http://www.cracked.com/blog/i-watch-glenn-becks-comedy-tour-regret-it/
    Glenn Beck can't do comedy.

Dude used puppets on his 'morning-zoo' radio show.

This is not news.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'd still have loved for him to invite stewart on his show. alas. maybe in his new comic show or whatever

Alegis on
  • Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    puppets on the radio?

thats it, I can't brain anymore today

Joolander on
  • Options
    devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Henroid wrote: »
    Dac wrote: »
    Hurk.

Are those projections Jon did on the 12th accurate? The one about where our debt would be if we let the Bush tax cuts expire? I didn't see a cite off-hand, but if they are.... >:|

I was wondering about that too, forgot to ask if anyone caught anything in the credits about a source citation for that info. I'm hoping it's true. Usually when they're doing zingers of that sort, they use facts or reported things from credible groups.

I checked their forums, and couldn't find anything directly related to that. So I found this:

PaulRyanBudget-3D.jpg

and here's the other one Jon presented:

PaulRyanBudget-Bush-tax-cuts.jpg

So that's the CBO's projected debt with current policy in the first one. If the Bush tax cuts are removed tax revenues, I think it's pretty safe to say, would increase. Would they keep pace with the other stuff, which it would have to if Jon's graph is accurate? I dunno. That seems like it would require a lot of economic growth among the wealthy, but not the so wealthy that can hide their money easily (billionaires and such.) Basically, you'd have to grow the lower upper class and the upper middle class (depending on what part of the country you're in. 300K in San Francisco and New York doesn't go nearly as far as 300K in Missouri.)

No one really wants to attack medicare the way every other country with a health plan for seniors does, so that's why we see such a ridiculously large increase. It has nothing to do with Obama, certainly, as those projections would have continued under anybody. The whole reason the spending grows so much is medicare. Social security grows a little. The rest of spending stays pretty even. No one wants to budget it though because seniors vote the crap out of every election.

devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Joolander wrote: »
    puppets on the radio?

I can't find a picture, so it's probably not true.
    Beck's first full-scale zoo show was known as "Captain Beck and the A-Team." For four hours every weekday morning, Beck sat in WRKA's small, dimly lighted studio across from his producer and sidekick Bob Dries. Dries was Beck's Ed McMahon and Artie Lange, who cackled like a hen every time Beck cracked wise. "It was Dries' job to punch buttons to launch sound effects, and laugh like he'd just won the lottery at every single limp Glenn Beck joke," remembers a former WRKA colleague.

With Dries across the console, Beck directed a rotating ensemble cast and wrote or co-wrote daily gags and skits. Among the show's regular characters was Beck's zoo alter ego, Clydie Clyde. But Clyde was just one of Beck's unseen radio ventriloquist dolls. "He was amazing to watch when he was doing his cast of voices," remembers Kathi Lincoln, Beck's former newsreader. "Sometimes he'd prerecord different voices and talk back to the tape, or turn his head side to side while speaking them live on the air. He used to do a funny 'black guy' character, really over-the-top."

Rereading it, it looks like that colorful phrasing was the part I chose to remember.

He still has a rich history of being terrible, but at least you can brain some more.

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    no see without the bush tax cuts the economy would be in shambles and the debt would be even higher

wait a second

Jars on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Do they even bother announcing off weeks anymore?

They really should offer some warning. I need to restolk my bomb shelter for the inevitable disaster that will result due to their absence.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    "We're back! Let's see if anything happened last week--"
    USA BURNS TO GROUND
    "...does this mean we can't go on vacation ever again?"

Shadowen on
  • Options
    ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Jars wrote: »
    no see without the bush tax cuts the economy would be in shambles and the debt would be even higher

wait a second

Trickle down, its worked so well in the past, why change it? [/sarcasm]

I am also amused and offended at the fact that it elicits the image of them standing above everyone else, pissing on our heads, which is more akin to what they do in reality.

Buttcleft on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Joolander wrote: »
    puppets on the radio?

I can't believe I'm gonna defend this, but here goes:

So Howard Stern's show has had two very prominent puppets; the Gary Puppet and Jackie Puppet. Which really weren't the meat of any gimmicks they did with them since it was all voice mimicking of their staff anyway but it still managed to work out. Also, metaphors.

Oh, and I guess Howard Stern also had the benefit of his show often broadcasting as television on the E! network. I know Glenn Beck's show is recorded for TV purposes but I can only guess it doesn't broadcast on any prominent networks.

Edit - prominent prominent prominent

Henroid on
  • Options
    devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Jars wrote: »

wait a second

Laffer Curve, brah.

laffuer-curve.png

It's a thing.

devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Wow, that is perfect.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Guest lists have been updated, and I think Colbert's is more interesting from a first glance. He's got Ron Paul on tonight, I refuse to miss it. Weather be damned (please satellite service don't go out).

Henroid on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    nothing bad happened last week. that's unusual

maybe the tornados? but those were the week before

Jars on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Your universe is racist!

I know they have to goof on the royal wedding and all, but man, I seriously cannot give a shit about it.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    No wonder I don't have RLS.

Henroid on
  • Options
    mare_imbriummare_imbrium Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Oh jeez, Cheating Death tonight was excellent.

He looked damn creepy to me when he came back after the interview to say goodnight. Startled me a little.

mare_imbrium on
    v2zAToe.jpg
    Wii: 4521 1146 5179 1333 Pearl: 3394 4642 8367 HG: 1849 3913 3132
  • Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    Henroid wrote: »
    Your universe is racist!

I know they have to goof on the royal wedding and all, but man, I seriously cannot give a shit about it.

You will when the best man turns out to be a nazi.

Bagginses on
  • Options
    PwnanObrienPwnanObrien He's right, life sucks. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Man I almost forgot what happens when you google Santorum.

PwnanObrien on
    Mwx884o.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Wow. Checking to make sure first responders aren't terrorists. Y'know... how do I quit America?

Henroid on
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Jon Stewart. Is. Pissed.

You mess with 9/11 and the people involved and you've instantly earned his eternal contempt.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Okay, is it me or was Olivia out-funnied by her own mother?

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Y'know what? Olivia Munn just knocked one right out of the park. Bravo.

Henroid on
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Gosling wrote: »
    Okay, is it me or was Olivia out-funnied by her own mother?

Was just gonna say that, but I did get a laugh out of Munn cowering every time she moved her hands. Old gag, always funny.

Pretty solid segment all around though.

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    sainsain Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I just had to screencap this one.

colbertmoose.jpg

sain on
  • Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The taser and pepper spray segments make me angry.;o(

zeeny on
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    zeeny wrote: »
    The taser and pepper spray segments make me angry.;o(
    It's called discipline.

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    John Oliver is going to be performing locally (NC) in October; tickets go on sale Friday.

On the one hand, I wonder how much. On the other, I'm not sure it matters.

Vyolynce on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Omeks wrote: »
    Jon Stewart. Is. Pissed.

You mess with 9/11 and the people involved and you've instantly earned his eternal contempt.

Episodes/issues that he and Colbert feel passionately about aren't always the funniest, but they're often among my favourite all the same. With Colbert it's often regarding people being particularly goosey regarding his shared faith, and it's something I appreciate greatly; he has his beliefs, doesn't force them on anyone, and seems to take very personal offense when others don't show that same measure of discretion and restraint.

On an unrelated note, I loved Jon's response to the 'indigo child' woman. Seriously, those people are batshit crazy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigo_children
    In a Dallas Observer article discussing Indigo children, a reporter recorded the following interaction between a man who worked with Indigo children, and a purported Indigo child:

“ "Are you an indigo?" he asked Dusk. The boy looked at him shyly and nodded. "I'm an Avatar," Dusk said. "I can recognize the four elements of earth, wind, water and fire. The next avatar won't come for 100 years." The man seemed impressed.”

Readers of the Dallas Observer later wrote in to inform the newspaper that the child's response appeared to be taken from the storyline of Avatar: The Last Airbender, an animated series showing on Nickelodeon at the time of the interview. The editor of the Dallas Observer later admitted they were not aware of the possible connection until readers brought it to their attention.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!