As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[ARMA 2] A new thread because we have a server!

• FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yea, I'd like to be in on any shenanigans happening tonight. Get off of work late, so hopefully some folk will still be around.

Steam ID = Farangu

Edit: Has anyone messed around with the Steam files? I can't find the install directory to put ACE stuff in.

Farangu on
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I bought Arma II and OA seperately (didn't want to take a risk on the whole package, on the off chance I hated it), and apparently launching Combined Ops is as easy as right clicking on the Arma II: Operation Arrowhead entry in your library and selecting that option.

Neat.

Drake on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2011
    ArmA is great fun at LAN parties. We spent five hours on one mission last time.

Echo on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Count me in for some team killing. I need to finish the tutorial though.

Big Classy on
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Playing Operation Flashpoint for years taught me never to buy a BI game at launch and boy am I glad I waited 2 years until this baby was on sale for $8 because god. damn.:
    http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/ArmA_2:_Version_History

Some hilarious stuff in there if you take the time to go through all of it. and there is a LOT of it.

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2011
    Oh what the heck, I picked up OA.

Echo on
  • KogareruKogareru Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I enjoyed playing this back when PA Joe was active (many a heli crash and my patented backwards take offs. :lol:). I had completely forgotten about this since building my new computer, until i saw the steam sale. I booted it up last night and i can finally play it with max graphics and a playable frame rate! So I'll be on this evening around 10 est. I will most likely pick up OA as well because after watching some of the videos it looks awesome. hopefully we can get some momentum going.

Kogareru on
    GW2: mKoga-Ultra
    steam_sig.png
  • RedlanceRedlance Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    With Steam, they're both technically "Standalone", even buying Combined Ops. When you install combined ops off a CD or off the publisher's download site, it just installs both of them to the same directory and thus they share the content files. If you get them off steam, you just have to either use junctions, or duplicate a couple folders between your A2 and your OA folders. You can use an option to launch as combined ops in steam, but all it does is reference those other folders in the launch parameters.
    For anyone who may have trouble launching it from steam. Put steam in admin mode first then launch it. After that it will launch fine with out being in admin mode. Or at least that worked for me.
    rapz1.png

Redlance on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Installing ACE:

Don't find a standalone installer, use the Six updater, it's pretty automated and it ensures it keeps your ACE up-to-date. Download here.

Wow and going to the Dev-heaven site I learned that Domination is officially closed!. 'tis sad, Domination is one of the simplest but most complete JIP missions out there, though from Xeno's reputation, he's probably doing this to get people to beg him to release Dom4.

Satsumomo on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Doesn't ACE break the single-player campaign? That's the reason I never installed it anyway. Would be good to point out for the new people.

Sir Carcass on
  • darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Just bought, will give it a go when I get home.

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
    edited April 2011
    Yeah it breaks the SP campaign, I've never played it though, just too buggy and unreliable for me. Made it very frustrating.

Edit: Though the nice thing about ARMA is that you never modify the game with mods, they're all "installed" when launched, so you can have Vanilla and ACE installed at the same time, zero conflicts. Just create separate shortcuts for both.

Satsumomo on
  • SonelanSonelan Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Well I got a server. Anyone have much experince running one?

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You chose which mods to launch when you start the game via the command line so you don't have to play with any. The new version of ace is wonderful but requires CO.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Combined Arms is ARMA 2 + Operation Arrowhead

Some ShackTac videos to show how awesome Multiplayer can be:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hbke4JjWXg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byNfHDAd6lI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEwmW-qamSE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0duLRqbqXgo

Don't be scared of ShackTac. Our join requirement is that you're not a douche-bag and are a cool person. Personal skill in the game has no bearing at all. HailTheFish, a fellow PAer joined us in 2010.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
  • NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Installing ACE:

Don't find a standalone installer, use the Six updater, it's pretty automated and it ensures it keeps your ACE up-to-date. Download here.

Wow and going to the Dev-heaven site I learned that Domination is officially closed!. 'tis sad, Domination is one of the simplest but most complete JIP missions out there, though from Xeno's reputation, he's probably doing this to get people to beg him to release Dom4.

From my brief experience with ACE in ARMA2 vanilla, the sixupdater program was a pain in the ass. It was the most complicated updater I had ever used. I have no clue why it needed to be so obtuse. As often as the packages were updated, though, you were pretty much required to use it.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I had a hell of a time playing this at launch even though my desktop aced the recommended specs (like 15fps no matter what I did, increased to like 20fps by turning pretty much every option up but couldn't hit playable rates at all)

been meaning to give it a shot since I dropped a 470gtx in it. I'll try it out sometime and hopefully it'll be playable, PA Joe at its inception was an awesome time, made especially more awesome by retarded noob antics that usually got us all wiped by even the smallest fire-team.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Jean Claude Van CalmJean Claude Van Calm 'sup? Awesome Possum.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Suds wrote: »
    Combined Arms is ARMA 2 + Operation Arrowhead

Some ShackTac videos to show how awesome Multiplayer can be:

snip

Don't be scared of ShackTac. Our join requirement is that you're not a douche-bag and are a cool person. Personal skill in the game has no bearing at all. HailTheFish, a fellow PAer joined us in 2010.

Oh man... oh maaaan. Every time I'm reminded shacktac exists and I want to join I'm super busy for the foreseeable future. I'd love to play any game with dslyecxi and kevb0 again, don't think I've done so since RO days.

:(

Jean Claude Van Calm on
    PSN: Grimmsy- Xbox Live: Grimmsy
    edited April 2011
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    Installing ACE:

From my brief experience with ACE in ARMA2 vanilla, the sixupdater program was a pain in the ass. It was the most complicated updater I had ever used. I have no clue why it needed to be so obtuse. As often as the packages were updated, though, you were pretty much required to use it.

I know, but it's been updated quite a bit.

Last time I used it, it was only a matter of running the sixupdater installer, and it did the rest for me. It found my directories, and set them up accordingly, and all I had to do was press "EXECUTE" in the browser window that showed up.

It may have a small learning curve, but once you've got it up and running, you only need to press the execute button every friday.

Satsumomo on
    edited April 2011
    So I tried joining the server I have but its wrong version so i guess I am installing a patch atm. I have no idea what I am doing with this shit heh.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Sonelan wrote: »
    So I tried joining the server I have but its wrong version so i guess I am installing a patch atm. I have no idea what I am doing with this shit heh.

as long as you can still figure out how to let Vanilla users join i'll be happy! :D

Hardtarget on
    steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
    edited April 2011
    Currently I can't get the server to even show up on the arma 2 list. And while I can join it via combined ops it just says wait for host.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TremorTremor Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Former JOE checking in. I eagerly await my next Treehugger insertion...:winky:

Can I get an invite to the steamgroup, name is MajorTremor.

Tremor on
    TremorPAJoe.jpg
    edited April 2011
    If you join the group chat i can invite you.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TremorTremor Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hardtarget got me while we were talking. I forgot he could.

Tremor on
    TremorPAJoe.jpg
    edited April 2011
    SO I need help from someone who actually knows how to run a server.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Doctor DeimosDoctor Deimos Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    let's play this goddamn game

Doctor Deimos on
  • JJJJ DailyStormer Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    almost have this downloaded. I bought the combined operations. It's only necessary that I just dl OA, right?

JJ on
  • Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    JJ wrote: »
    almost have this downloaded. I bought the combined operations. It's only necessary that I just dl OA, right?

No, I think you need both. I mean, OA is standalone as far as I know, but most likely the server will either be base or base+OA, not just OA.

Sir Carcass on
  • ThendashThendash Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hey, I just bought combined operations. Is there a dedicated pa server yet?

Thendash on
  • MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Bought this new a while ago... boxed version. Do I need any additional patches/mods to play with you guys?

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
    edited April 2011
    Just patches, and you get the good end of the deal. Boxed version gets small patches of about 100mb in size.

Steam? You have to download the whole game again every time they patch it.

Satsumomo on
  • hailthefishhailthefish Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Something to do with steam patches not modifying files, but instead replacing them with the modified versions.

hailthefish on
  • MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Do i need the arrowhead expansion?

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
    edited April 2011

Try typing into chat '#voteadmin sonelan'

I think chat is the / key?

Once you're admin you get to pick what mission to load. If there are no missions we will need to upload them. I'm not sure how exactly to do that. :-\

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Installed vanilla and OA last night, so I'm all set if we get anything going later tonight.

Though I'll probably try to see about playing the tutorials first when I get out of work.

Maddoc on
    edited April 2011
    Lord Yod wrote: »

Once you're admin you get to pick what mission to load. If there are no missions we will need to upload them. I'm not sure how exactly to do that. :-\

I can load missions fine. The problem is unless i am on it won't do a mission or anything. Also having issues with the server showing up on the vanilla arma list.

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SudsSuds Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Holy hell, I have 195 hours so far in Arrowhead.

151 in ARMA 2 base.

Suds on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited April 2011

I can load missions fine. The problem is unless i am on it won't do a mission or anything. Also having issues with the server showing up on the vanilla arma list.

I believe that whenever people want to play they need to vote an admin and then choose a mission. It should stay at whatever mission was loaded though?

Here is some info http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Armed_Assault:_Multiplayer_Server_Commands

So you can set a server config file with an admin password and such then go from there I think? I'm also learning as I go along.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2011

I believe that whenever people want to play they need to vote an admin and then choose a mission. It should stay at whatever mission was loaded though?

Here is some info http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Armed_Assault:_Multiplayer_Server_Commands

So you can set a server config file with an admin password and such then go from there I think? I'm also learning as I go along.

Yeah i am trying to but I am really bad at this stuff and don't know what any of that means

Sonelan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]