As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[TV] Game of Thrones, presented by HBO - NO BOOK DISCUSSION.

• SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'd be happy if the entire 1st season was used up just to establish who is who, the relationships, and ending
    with Ned leaving Winterfell to take up his new position as Hand.

I've pictured Robert as a fat bearded Ray Stevenson (Titus from Rome), I hope who ever is cast in the role for the series looks similar.

SyphonBlue on
    LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • stigweard921stigweard921 Registered User new member
    edited April 2011
    Regarding Catelyn Stark, did anyone else who read the books picture her as being younger? I keep thinking that Michelle Fairley seems too old for the role. Isn't Catelyn only in her late 20s or early 30s?
    Also, how do you feel about the change they made in regards to her attitude of Ned leaving for King's Landing? She encouraged him to take the position as the Hand of the King in the books, she just didn't want him to leave her behind. Now, in the show, she's pleading with him not to go at all? It seems to steal some of the strength from her character.

stigweard921 on
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Regarding Catelyn Stark, did anyone else who read the books picture her as being younger? I keep thinking that Michelle Fairley seems too old for the role. Isn't Catelyn only in her late 20s or early 30s?
    Also, how do you feel about the change they made in regards to her attitude of Ned leaving for King's Landing? She encouraged him to take the position as the Hand of the King in the books, she just didn't want him to leave her behind. Now, in the show, she's pleading with him not to go at all? It seems to steal some of the strength from her character.

So far Catelyn has been...way too not bitchy. They changed some of this from the books but I was already disliking her by this point in the books.

Also, I wish this thread luck in it's endeavor.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Man I've read the books a bunch of times, but in the scene by the river
    when Arya has the sword on Joffrey, I was still going "KILL HIM! CUT HIS STUPID FACE OFF! DO IT NOWWWWWWWW!!!

KalTorak on
  • SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

The actress originally slated to play Catelyn, Jennifier Ehle, is like 32 or something. Compared to Michelle's Fairley's 46. So that got changed quite a bit when they changed actresses. I can't seem to find any pics of Ehle's Catelyn though.

Selner on
  • valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

book spoiler

Well everyone was aged up, not just the kids. So Ned is 35 in GOT according to the ASOIAF wiki, but Sean Bean is 52 (even though I pictured a more Benjen Stark looking guy, Bean is obviously perfect). But Michelle Fairley sticks out to me as looking far older than I imagined her. Catelyn is supposed to be 34 in GOT (again according to the AOIAF wiki) but no clue how old Michele Fairley is. I mentioned the discrepency earlier in the book thread http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?p=19081055#post19081055but I thought I was the only one who noticed it.

I think I expected a brunette/auburn haired cersei but we got an older, less striking woman. Lena Headey might be too good looking if she was Catelyn actually, I think I pictured someone between Michelle Fairley and Lena Headey. Picky, I know :P But Michelle Fairley definitely works, I think the age gives her some gravitas and serves to deemphasize her sexuality, whereas Cersei's sexuality needs to be front and center because she uses it as a weapon. So it makes sense that Lena Headey/Cersei would be significantly better looking than her peers or else the character doesn't work.

Sansa also sticks out as a bit too ginger compared to her mom, who she is supposed to resemble closely (remember littlefinger loves sansa in part because of her resemblance to catelyn). Maybe Cat is just too much of a brunette.

http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Catelyn_Stark

Catelyn_Stark

Appearance
    She is described as beautiful, with auburn hair, blue eyes, and long fingers.

valiance on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    i hate catelyn anyway so

i'm not that disappointed with her actress being older and sorta weepy looking

Pony on
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'd be happy if the entire 1st season was used up just to establish who is who, the relationships, and ending
    with Ned leaving Winterfell to take up his new position as Hand.

I've pictured Robert as a fat bearded Ray Stevenson (Titus from Rome), I hope who ever is cast in the role for the series looks similar.

It would take like five seasons just to get to the end of GoT. There is zero chance they would ever get to the ending of the series (if one does indeed ever get written, but nevermind that for now, I will have faith!).

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Selner wrote: »
    And Ilyn Payne is not nearly as imposing as I pictured him. He should be taller or something. He just looked like a frumpy old man.

He may not have been physically imposing, but he still looked sufficiently sinister.

metaghost on
  • Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Shen wrote: »

a1ZES.gif
    Every week about 10 people pile in my apartment to watch this show.

Everyone cheered at this scene.

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Thanks for making this thread. I am barely halfway into the first book ... so the other thread was getting frustrating for me with all the spoilers and what not.

Also ... that scene with Tyrion and his nephew was like 7 kinds of awesome.

TheBigEasy on
  • Kate of LokysKate of Lokys Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I watched the first two episodes of this with my fiance, who hasn't read the books at all. He told me after the last episode that he's not watching it anymore. It's not that he has a problem keeping up with who's who, or that he finds the plot hard to follow: he just finds it unbearably depressing.

His comments after the second episode:
    "Nothing good is happening to anybody! Nobody has anything to look forward to. Jon is off to join what he thought was this noble order, but apparently the only people who do that now are criminals who have to choose between the Wall and getting their genitals chopped off. The princess, what's her name, basically got sold into slavery and constant rape. The little Stark kid got pushed out a tower, then someone was sent to murder him and ended up just brutally maiming his mother. The king lets himself get pushed around by the Lannisters, and the older girl's magical wolf got killed because she turned on her family and lied about what happened with the prince, and Arya's friend was killed too. That was just the most emotionally draining hour of television I've ever watched, it was miserable."

I hate to say it, but he has a point. I mean, I'm enjoying it, but I know what's going to happen. I don't feel bad when Viserys is an absolute asshole to his sister, because I know that within a few episodes, he's going to [book spoilers]
    get his precious crown in the form of a cauldron filled with molten gold, causing him to writhe and die in much-deserved agony.
    But my fiance doesn't know that, because he hasn't read the books, so he just sees everyone in sight getting the shit kicked out of them by fate, bad luck, and each other.

Kate of Lokys on
  • TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Just tell him that the motto of House Stark is based off the original Tagaryen House words, which are "Uppence Will Come"

Tastyfish on
  • TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I suppose it's a fair complaint. If you don't want to see bad things happen to people, this show probably won't be a lot of fun to watch.

I've seen a lot of evidence that the book series isn't for everyone, actually. Whenever it's discussed, there are a few people who say they started reading it, but didn't finish because they weren't enjoying it.

The good news is that this seems to be a small minority of the people who have started reading it, so it would stand to reason that a majority of newcomers to the show should get hooked.

Not that ratings matter all that much to HBO. They must be raking in the new subscription fees from the large and dedicated fan base.

Tarantio on
  • LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I find that, even though there are a tonne of characters milling about and hardly any of them are properly introduced, it isn't actually that big a deal because they're not really doing anything. I've read the books, but it still seems to me that characters are "properly" introduced to the audience when they need to be.

I mean, names are mentioned in the books (or descriptions given) because that's the only way to indicate that someone is in the background or present in a scene, even if they're not really important yet (but having them have been around for a scene to see something or whatnot may be important). But, with television, you can simply show characters in the scene and you don't have to go out of the way to say they're there, because the audience can see them. And then, when that character actually matters, the viewer gets to know more about him or her (and can have their fun "ah-ha!" moments when they remember the character was present earlier).

I think that it would probably be easier for non-readers to watch the show if the readers did not explain the significance of things and people to them. Let the show play itself out, just like the books did when we read them. I think the explanations draw attention to the "lack" of explanations in the show, even though those unexplained things might not have needed to be explained at that point.

LaOs on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I think I must be a terrible person because I love shows where awful things happen to everyone

The Wire, Breaking Bad, Mad Men, etc

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2011
    Balefuego wrote: »
    I think I must be a terrible person because I love shows where awful things happen to everyone

Same as Soaps and Greek plays really, particularly in the UK. Terrible things happening to people is humanity's favourite entertainment.
    Must be some quirk of emolution.

Tastyfish on
  • the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    My wife, a non-book reader and not a fantasy fan per se, is hooked. I was greatly worried the series would lose her forever as the ending sequence of ep2 is something that typically drives her away from any TV show or movie. Her words after the episode, "I don't see how anyone could stop watching this. That was amazing." I think we're in good shape.

The casting just continues to impress the hell out of me. These characters have lived on the pages and in my head for so long, I was very surprised at how quickly I connected with them all on screen.

And for whoever asked earlier, rumor is that season 2 filming will start in late July. Kind of surprising that they will be waiting so long...wonder if there's some prep work they need to focus on for new locqtions or cgi bits or something.

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Well they need to write season 2 and then cast all the new roles and then yeah they will need to scout new locations/build new sets and stuff.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Has anyone not read the books? I have but my roommate has not. I'm really digging the show so far but my roommate is watching with me and after the second episode she said she doesn't care anymore.

She said the show puts way too much assumption that you've already read the books and it's confusing and that all these things that have to be explained to her should be explained in the show and not be explained by me.

Just wondering if she just has poor taste or if this is the general consensus.

My friends and I get together every week to watch it. None of us have ever read the books. Plot is easy enough to follow, although we always have discussions about the episode when it is over. Any confusion is cleared up (or so we think) and we put forth our own theories about the future. The one thing we have trouble with are the names. It happens with a decent sized cast and only being two episodes in. Right now, it's one of like, 5 shows I currently watch. I love it.

EDIT: Also, I was under the impression they weren't going to follow the books exactly.

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'd imagine it would more work for them to deviate from the narrative than it would be for them to do a very faithful adaptation. The world Martin built is pretty air-tight (insofar as I'm only on A Storm of Swords) and to change backstories or characters would probably be a chore re: trying to link everything back up.

Also so much of what happens in GoT informs the rest of the series. Unless they are really deviating, I think it's probably safest and easiest for them to stay on the beaten path.

stevemarks44 on
  • AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, I don't know why they'd switch things around if they didn't have to. I mean, it's always possible that Martin would have written something differently if he'd thought of it and it'll make the point of that plot clearer, but I imagine they'll stay more or less faithful.

I can sorta see how people would give up on this series. While it's not a complete downer all the time, a lot of bad things do happen. It can get kinda bleak. But that makes the good things that happen even better. When certain shithead princes get slapped around, for an early non-spoiler example.

Asiina on
    edited April 2011
    LaOs wrote: »
    I find that, even though there are a tonne of characters milling about and hardly any of them are properly introduced, it isn't actually that big a deal because they're not really doing anything. I've read the books, but it still seems to me that characters are "properly" introduced to the audience when they need to be.

Still waiting for
    Theon
    to get an introduction. I've been watching him in every scene he's in.

Asiina on
    edited April 2011
    Asiina wrote: »

Still waiting for
    Theon

Yeah, that's one that I know some people who have read the book find annoying that hasn't been "properly" introduced yet.
    But really, story-wise, Theon hasn't really done anything or needed to do anything. He's not super important yet. It doesn't strike me as much of a problem that he's not really introduced yet.

Mind, I haven't read the books in a while and I still haven't gotten around to seeing Ep2, so maybe I'm forgetting...

LaOs on
    edited April 2011

Still waiting for
    Theon

Was he the other character in the Godswood when Catlyn is revealign the Lanister plot, or was that the Castellan. Looks like a blonder, scruffier Robb?

Tastyfish on
    edited April 2011

Still waiting for
    Theon

Yeah, that's one that I know some people who have read the book find annoying that hasn't been "properly" introduced yet.
    But really, story-wise, Theon hasn't really done anything or needed to do anything. He's not super important yet. It doesn't strike me as much of a problem that he's not really introduced yet.

Mind, I haven't read the books in a while and I still haven't gotten around to seeing Ep2, so maybe I'm forgetting...

No, he doesn't really do anything interesting for a while and introducing him would only clutter the plot at this point.

He will need to be properly introduced this season (at least I think) because
    When he takes Bran out riding, from what I recall someone flips out over him being left alone with the kids with a weapon. They'll need to explain the distrust at some point.

It's been a long time for me too, but I think that happens in the first book.

Asiina on
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    All the Sansa/Daenerys moments are just as bad as I remember it from the book - I cringe every time they appear on screen. D:

Other than I'm really liking the show so far. I never got around to finish the first book so I've got something to look forward to I guess.

Alfred J. Kwak on
    edited April 2011

Still waiting for
    Theon

No, he doesn't really do anything interesting for a while and introducing him would only clutter the plot at this point.

He will need to be properly introduced this season (at least I think) because
    When he takes Bran out riding, from what I recall someone flips out over him being left alone with the kids with a weapon. They'll need to explain the distrust at some point.

It's been a long time for me too, but I think that happens in the first book.

Ah, then it seems like we're on the same page then. Good. :D

[Edit]
    Tastyfish: I don't know--I haven't seen the episode yet. From others' comments, though, it was.

LaOs on
    edited April 2011
    Tastyfish wrote: »

Still waiting for
    Theon

Was he the other character in the Godswood when Catlyn is revealign the Lanister plot, or was that the Castellan. Looks like a blonder, scruffier Robb?

Yeah, that's him.

He's really fine being a background character for a long time, but it's still interesting to watch him.

Asiina on
  • SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Still waiting for
    Theon

He's also the guy who almost kills the dire wolf pups, and says something like "I don't follow your orders, I follow your father's orders" to Rob.

Selner on
  • devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The earlier episodes don't have to accomplish as much as they will as the series goes on. There's a lot of points where you're supposed to go from hating a character to liking a character and vice versa. How those are pulled off, I'm very excited to see.

devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Still waiting for
    Theon

He's also the guy who almost kills the dire wolf pups, and says something like "I don't follow your orders, I follow your father's orders" to Rob.

Also, where's HODOR!

I am waiting for "One does not simply walk into Hodor" pics.

Taramoor on
  • MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Because it was vastly different from the book, mostly. And it almost came off like they were trying to make Cersei sympathetic. And basically fuck that lady.

This is silly to me, there are going to be additions and subtractions. Adaptations between media are never 1:1 because something that works in a book dosen't always work on screen and vice versa.

My favorite scene in episode 2 was the Jaime/Jon scene and despite the fact that it was also a new scene not from the books, there was so much subtext going on in that conversation for people who have read them that I was blown away.

Yes, thank you. I understand how it works. I just didn't like the way that particular instance of it was done. My opinion is silly, I guess!

:P

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    ...why? I thought that scene was fantastic.

I hated it for different reasons than I've heard (Cersei more sympathetic, etc.)

Book 1/Major series spoilers
    Why in the hell would Cersei draw attention to her children's hair color? Her big deep dark secret is that her kids are born of an incestuous union. Robert is apparently homozygous dominant for dark hair, so any children he has will have dark hair and that's how they were almost exposed by Jon Arryn previously. So why would Cersei make a big point of it to this lady she barely tolerates at best and considers an enemy at worst? The only reason for her to do so is to beat it over viewers' heads that her kids aren't trueborn heirs. It's really out of character and Cersei wouldn't be that dumb.

The dark-haired bastard reveal doesn't come until about halfway through the first book, and there's a reason it was paced thusly.

joshofalltrades on
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Was just browsing through IMDB looking at some of the characters we haven't seen yet. Man, whoever did the casting for this show did an excellent job.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • ShenShen Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So far Catelyn has been...way too not bitchy. They changed some of this from the books but I was already disliking her by this point in the books.

Also, I wish this thread luck in it's endeavor.

It's mainly because we don't get PoVs. In the books
    It's made quite clear just how much she hates Jon and how she dwells on him hanging around her children, and we resent that because we also see Jon's PoV and know he's a genuinely good guy who cares for all of them.

Honestly, I like it this way. I never really gave Cat a fair shake; hopefully my friends will be able to.

Shen on
    3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Taramoor wrote: »

Still waiting for
    Theon

Also, where's HODOR!

I am waiting for "One does not simply walk into Hodor" pics.

hodor.jpg

joshofalltrades on
  • LibrarianLibrarian The face of liberal fascism Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Pretty much this.
    And it's not like there are only bad things happening in the books, some of those people that have it really bad right now or that will be wronged over the course of the series will have a great comeback and some of them will probably have the most awesome revenge.

I really hate it when people say about the books that "noone is save" "omg every character can die" etc.
    This just goes to show how skewed the perception of a lot of genre fans is, because the majority of fantastic literature coddles the reader into some juvenile wishfullfillment scenario where badass dudes kick ass and have big adventures and everyone is save.
    In your generic fantasy novel you pretty much know who is going to make it and who is the bad guy after 20 pages or so, but that's just not how most GOOD books work.

Of course not everyone can die in these books and of course there are characters that are pretty much save until they have met their destiny, whatever that may be. George R.R. Martin is not using some random number generator to determine who dies next or will decide to kill a character off because he just kinda feels like it.

In most literature worth reading, or movies or shows worth watching bad things happen to characters that feel a lot more real than Drizzt Do Urden or Hanna Montana and some character that you like might die, even if you did not wish or expect it.
    That does not mean that everything is oh so dark and doomed and nothing good will ever happen again or that EVERY character can die at any second.

Librarian on
  • Reverend_ChaosReverend_Chaos Suit Up! Spokane WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    My only casting complaint thus far is Ilyn Payne...He just looks like a cranky old man. I did not find him imposing at all.

Otherwise, I am not a huge fan of Catelyn, but I don't hate her either. I feel Meh...

Peter Dinklage is probably THE best casting choice. He is AWESOME!! I am super happy about that one, that guy is fantastic!

I really like NCW playing Jaime....a very good choice as well. He has the chops to bring that character to life. Another solid choice.

Sean Bean for Ned is a good solid choice. I am really liking him in this role.

Seriously, the casting for this show is PHENOMENAL!!! Kudo's to HBO and the producers for not only doing this, but doing it RIGHT!!

Reverend_Chaos on
    “Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I think the only thing missing from the show (and the books too, at this point) is some kind of small victory for the characters we're rooting for. Bad shit happens to characters in Mad Men and The Wire, sure, but interspersed with that we get to see Don put a golden campaign out of thin air and sell it to Lucky Strike, or McNulty put one over on Rawls. Little victories like that don't really make up for the bigger issues at stake, but they give the viewer a little pump up when something good happens for the characters they're rooting for.

Like I said, at this point there isn't that much opportunity for this sort of thing in the story so far. About the only little victorious moment I can think of is Tyriod bitchslapping Joffrey, which is less about a character victory and more about "somebody should slap that kid."

KalTorak on
This discussion has been closed.