As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BRINK] Hang on, the Boat-Bus is in for some chop! (OUT NOW!)

• durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Kadoken wrote: »
    So that specialization in classes is a disappointment for me. What if your team has too many medics or engineers, but if you become a soldier you have only basic abilities? Not being able to change boy type is acceptable, but this just sounds like a load of ass.
    I'm going to assume that it's less about being better when you grab every single perk and more about having more specialized options. It's not like your non-completely-specialized medic doesn't you know, heal and revive. I mean you get what, 3 perks? Out of 20? Unless they're morons, I doubt any of those are (+2) (+3) (+4)...

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Tridus1xTridus1x Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If I was going to play a medic, I would spam revives on someone bad at FPS games and get L20 in a day. Also Revive nades + solider ammo = Diablo 2 necro?

Tridus1x on
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I am glad there will be a FF option. We so need that to be off when we get our shit set up.

That_Guy on
  • GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    MrVyngaard wrote: »
    iRevert wrote: »
    CarbonFire wrote: »

Also sliding knocks down enemies? Awesome. I predict a lot of slide battles in the future :lol:

Be warned though, if you both slide kick each other at the same time it triggers a "nutshot penalty" which stuns both of you for an extended period of time where you both roll around in the fetal position for fifteen seconds or till a medic throws you an ice pack [unlockable medic ability]

I can't wait to see a light guy try this against my heavy.

And slide right into my minigun.

Looks like we'll be engaging in a bit of good ol' soccer hooliganry, eh? (Or "football" as you across-the-ponders perfer.) Quick, somebody post that GIF of the "Zidane Headbutt" from the World Cup a few years back!

I knew that SMART capabilities were limited by body type, but Heavies get quite a raw deal. . . understandable though, as the sight of countless heavies climbing over a fortified wall into your makeshift base would cause many to panic. Man this game is gonna be too fun.

Grimthwacker on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    That_Guy wrote: »
    I am glad there will be a FF option. We so need that to be off when we get our shit set up.

Or how about we wait until the game is out and see what the majority wants?

Right now I think I would prefer friendly fire to be on.

Peewi on
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Kadoken wrote: »
    So that specialization in classes is a disappointment for me. What if your team has too many medics or engineers, but if you become a soldier you have only basic abilities? Not being able to change boy type is acceptable, but this just sounds like a load of ass.

There's nothing stopping you from unlocking a couple of abilities for each class, while still dumping the majority of your level points into a single class. It's not like you can take more than 3 abilities per class with you into the battlefield :P

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

No no no. Having FF off is so much worse. Spy checking becomes trivial, people spam grenades everywhere, and the game becomes dumber and less tactical. For a game like TF2 having FF off by default is fine because the game is designed to be played that way, but in a game like Brink it just doesn't make any sense.

Lemming on
  • Quake MattQuake Matt Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, I'd go with FF being on, too. Seems like it'd be a better fit for the style of game.

That is unless there's some kind of crazy, drunk missile launcher I don't know about yet.

Quake Matt on
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    FF is what separates the people who can aim from those who use their gun like a bullet hose.

TychoCelchuuu on
    edited April 2011
    FF is what separates the people who can aim from those who use their gun like a bullet hose.

brinkbackground.jpg

But what if I AM using a bullet hose? ;-)

CarbonFire on
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It definitely seems like the game is designed and balanced with FF in mind.

I'd much prefer having it on if only because of the balance implications.

Maddoc on
  • JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Whether or not FF is fun also depends on how SERIOUS BUSINESS people are going to be. For some people its hilarious when you accidentally blow up your own team and for some people its not.

(I'm on the side of hilarious)

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
    edited April 2011

Hi there. I can aim just fine. I just tend to shoot at anything that moves.

That_Guy on
  • LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

I would consider "aiming well" to include not aiming at teammates.

Lemming on
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Pro Tip: Don't shoot at everything that moves

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • no worriesno worries Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm kinda torn. The PC dedicated server deal is obviously solid, but the console "one team moves on" idea sounds novel too. Although I guess that'll promote team stacking?

As for FF, I think it should be on, with a mild initial penalty (negative xp sounds good) and a harsher penalty at a further, generous threshold to dissuade griefers (server boot at X kills).

no worries on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    no worries wrote: »
    I'm kinda torn. The PC dedicated server deal is obviously solid, but the console "one team moves on" idea sounds novel too. Although I guess that'll promote team stacking?

As for FF, I think it should be on, with a mild initial penalty (negative xp sounds good) and a harsher penalty at a further, generous threshold to dissuade griefers (server boot at X kills).

I have no idea what you're referring to with the moving on thing, but why do you think it wouldn't be in the PC version as well?

Peewi on
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I doubt there's going to be any penalty for FF, I could see maybe a penalty for a teamkill though.

I mean, you're going to shoot a teammate sometimes, or clip them in the edge of an explosion or something, getting penalized for that to any degree seems harsh.

EDIT: also I have to imagine there will be vote kicking in place for griefers.

Maddoc on
  • ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    the console "one team moves on" idea sounds novel too.

What's this now?

ObiFett on
    edited April 2011
    Peewi wrote: »

I have no idea what you're referring to with the moving on thing, but why do you think it wouldn't be in the PC version as well?
    This describes how matchmaking works when playing through the storyline of Brink. Note the dedicated servers that people will probably be running here will almost certainly be separate from this system.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/6355/a_missive_from_the_end_of_genre_.php?page=3
    "You and seven people [playing as] Security just lost. This other team on Resistance, they just won. That means if you look at it from their perspective, they get to move on to the next mission, the next chapter of their story, but you guys need to try again to win the mission so you can move forward in that traditional, narrative, single-player style
    "When you get to the end of the level and everybody's watching the final cutscene that wraps it up and explains what happens, we are already invisibly doing matchmaking for you and everybody on your team, to try and find another server out there on Xbox Live or PSN or in Steam, that just started up [the mission you need to repeat] and has spaces for you on the Security team.

"And when you try again, unbeknownst to you, you're now moved to a completely new server where the system is set up exactly for what you need to keep on playing the story. And that's really the trick that makes the single player/multiplayer hybrid work. Really clever matchmaking."

and AFAIK only Fire teams (of 4?) stick together through matchmaking. It's unknown whether there will be a custom game setup for the consoles like there is for the PC, but without dedicated servers, that seems less likely.

CarbonFire on
  • no worriesno worries Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I've got some information to drop on you guys for anyone that's interested. Found some interesting multplayer info.

For the console people:
    Multiplayer is a mode that lets you play online with friends or strangers. The teams consist of two groups of eight. Players can drop in and drop out at any time during the game. When this happens they are replaced by an AI so the teams stay even throughout the match. At the end of each match the team that succeeds goes forward to the next level but the team that looses will have to do the level again.

Some sort of matching making pitting you and your party up against others. Interesting.

For the PC folks:
    In an interview with Splash Damage Software's creative director Richard Ham, he explains many features of the online multiplayer aspect of Brink, a futuristic FPS with a revolutionary free-flow system called S.M.A.R.T.

Ham outlines the use of VAC and dedicated servers for the PC version, as well as a developer console for changing game CVARS. Ham explains "As we're a Steam game, we will be using VAC. On top of that, we're big proponents of giving players the tools to police themselves and weed out the bad apples."

PC dedicated servers + streamworks + CVARS and console tools?

I'd heard this before too, that there are two types of PvP multiplayer: campaign and free play. Campaign is described above. The winning team on a map moves to the next map in the campaign, as a team.

Seems like this would only work on the consoles right? If PC is all dedicated servers it won't be moving whole teams across servers, will it? Matchmaking with other "winners"?

EDIT: Carbonfire beat me to it. But maybe he's right, maybe the free-play involves all these user owned dedicated servers and the campaign mode will be available across Splashdamage available dedicated servers.

no worries on
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The obvious solution is to kick the entire losing team every time the map changes.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    How campaigns work in W:ET: If the offense wins, you go to the next map in the campaign. If they lose, or once they've won every map in the campaign, you switch teams and redo the same campaign.

The winner of the campaign is the team that finishes it the fastest, or got further than the other team.

So this new console campaign mode is a refinement of that for 4 player teams. I believe that the PC dedicated servers campaign mode will work the same way as in W:ET.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Fantastication2Fantastication2 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If it's set up as Campaign, I'm sure it'll work that way with winning and losing teams splitting up.

If it's set up as Freeplay, I think it'll just change maps like usual.

Fantastication2 on
  • A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

That's too bad.

I'd vote for FF to be on as well. More challenging and tactical the better.

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I was watching "Only in America" and saw a dude in a Brink t-shirt, and it made me realize I haven't been in this thread in a few days.

Also, That_Guy: You and me are brothers. I can't play CoD on Hardcore because I shoot teammates. I've never team-killed, but I've certainly damaged them a ton. They should stop moving near me.

Edit: For you folks who were waiting, anyone who sent a request to the metatag has been approved. :P

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
    edited April 2011
    I fully expect I'll shoot some of my teammates here and there, possibly hit them with a molotov every once in awhile

I may even get unlucky and gib one every so often by accident

I expect I'll also catch some friendly bullets now and again

But I think it will still be a much better game with FF enabled because it encourages coordination, and lends a balancing aspect to numerous abilities and weapons like explosives, disguises, flashbangs(with FF off they don't blind your teammates), caltrops, etc etc

There's just too much stuff affected by turning FF off

EDIT: haha, oh man, I was just reading Operative's revealed abilities, and I saw Cortex Bomb. They can have a surgically implanted bomb that allows them to detonate themselves while they're incapped.

Maddoc on
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I could watch that video forever if only so I could see that knife only doing relatively minor damage (read: not insta-killing) again and again.

EDIT: And I'm glad you can shoot dudes that are incapacitated. It wouldn't make sense if you couldn't but I hadn't seen that mentioned yet.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Continental_OpContinental_Op Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Maddoc wrote: »
    EDIT: haha, oh man, I was just reading Operative's revealed abilities, and I saw Cortex Bomb. They can have a surgically implanted bomb that allows them to detonate themselves while they're incapped.

Maddoc, where did you find this? Could you link it, please?

Continental_Op on
    XBL - TeenageHead
    edited April 2011

http://www.splashdamage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23909

http://brink.wikia.com/wiki/Cortex_Bomb

There's a bunch of other really interesting stuff in the Ability Previews, too, aside from that. That one just happens to be extra hilarious.

Maddoc on
  • A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Are weapons limited by the class you choose or only the weight?

Heavy support medic here I come!

Edit:
    Day 11: The Medic's Lazarus Grenade
    The Lazarus Grenade is an experimental pharmaceutical aerosol bomb, letting you Revive all Incapacitated teammates within its healing cloud. There is a Cooldown period between successive uses.

Hoooooollly crap.

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
  • Continental_OpContinental_Op Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

http://www.splashdamage.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23909

http://brink.wikia.com/wiki/Cortex_Bomb

There's a bunch of other really interesting stuff in the Ability Previews, too, aside from that. That one just happens to be extra hilarious.

Thanks! Man, I stopped reading the dev forums for games years ago since the environment isn't always, well, "the best."

Continental_Op on
    XBL - TeenageHead
  • MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

But if you keep shooting, eventually nothing moves and if you're still alive... maybe your team will win anyway!

(Someone get me some more ammo.)

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    But what happens when you realise that you are also someone who moves?

PaperLuigi44 on
    edited April 2011
    MrVyngaard wrote: »

But if you keep shooting, eventually nothing moves and if you're still alive... maybe your team will win anyway!

(Someone get me some more ammo.)

Brilliant. Heavy guy with minigun. 'Till it goes click click click.

That_Guy on
  • DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    But what happens when you realise that you are also someone who moves?

Cobain'd....

Decoy on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Are weapons limited by the class you choose or only the weight?

Heavy support medic here I come!

Edit:
    Day 11: The Medic's Lazarus Grenade
    The Lazarus Grenade is an experimental pharmaceutical aerosol bomb, letting you Revive all Incapacitated teammates within its healing cloud. There is a Cooldown period between successive uses.

Hoooooollly crap.
    that's a badass grenade

Local H Jay on
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    hmm, really torn. I have an amazon gift card and can't decide between ordering this or portal 2. its a tough call. on the one hand i never get in on multiplayer games until the player base is small (except for MNC) but I also tend to play single player more since i don't play online super regularly

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Smaller user bases turns the game into Cheers. Who doesn't love that?

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Brink: where everybody knows your name?

hatedinamerica on
This discussion has been closed.