As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Strange Measurement Unit

XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
edited April 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm trying to figure out what this measurement symbol is for my work.

Any clues?

Dimensions: 223*Φ217*Φ120

We've always used the circle with the line through it to mean Diameter, but that doesn't seem to apply here.

This is the product in question

Thanks!

Xaquin on

• FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The symbol is Phi, but since I'm an idiot when it comes to math you could go and
    pick what's most likely.

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm guessing it's "Unit of diameter" which means it is an arbitrary number. Judging by what it is, and the numbers they're giving, maybe millimeters or something?

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    That symbol isn't actually the diameter symbol, ø, but it is the only thing that makes a lick of sense.

My initial guess would be the mating diameters of the top and the bottom opening but if that first number is height the proportions do not look right. As it is circular it can't be a bounding box thing as those two numbers would be the same.

I think I'm going to stick with the assumption it should be the diameters, maybe major and minor. Still kind of weird.

Edit: I'm assuming MM just from general scale. It'd be about 9 inches tall if that were true and that is about right for what it appears to be.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, it kind of looks like it may be millimeters

what an odd way of putting it (in comparison with the billion other products I've speced out)

edit: thanks all

I'm just going to suggest my coworker find a different model =P

Xaquin on
  • mehmehmehmehmehmeh Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    my guess

assembly is 223mm tall , 217mm diameter body and has a opening with diameter of 120 mm or fits 120mm holes/openings.

mehmehmeh on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'd look somewhere else because there's a 50/50 chance that it's "microchinameters" or something that just isn't usable and you'll need a different one.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    WolframAlpha says it stands for the golden ratio conjugate.

But I'm sure that doesn't help you one bit.

Burtletoy on
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    hehe we already selected a different model

this can be locked!

Thank You all for your help =)

Xaquin on