As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[TV] Game of Thrones, presented by HBO - NO BOOK DISCUSSION.

• TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    There's lots of Tyrion ones, it just takes a while for you to realise that he's not on "the bad guy's side", and that there isn't really that clear cut a line between 'good' and 'bad'. Likewise with Daenrys, it just takes a while for us to get to know her properly as a character rather than a plot point.
    There's quite a few for the Starks as well that just tend to get overshadowed.

Probably more a case of pacing, working out where to end a particular episode to emphasise triumphs on one side or the other. Just because one side doesn't get away cleanly doesn't mean they've lost - I've a feeling that a lot of us here read to fast and might get their opinions coloured by whatever the last thing that happened.

Tastyfish on
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    And at this point in the story, realistically what opportunities could there be for "small victories" other than Tyrion/Arya making Joffrey cry like the sniveling punk he is?

Mad Men, in particular, had an obligation to portray Don as something of an advertising genius from the start in order for much of his dramatic arc to work. Game of Thrones doesn't have a comparable Main Character, as much as some may become attached to one individual or another, so the positive progressing elements become even more diffuse and minor.

metaghost on
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    metaghost wrote: »
    And at this point in the story, realistically what opportunities could there be for "small victories" other than Tyrion/Arya making Joffrey cry like the sniveling punk he is?

Mad Men, in particular, had an obligation to portray Don as something of an advertising genius from the start in order for much of his dramatic arc to work. Game of Thrones doesn't have a comparable Main Character, as much as some may become attached to one individual or another, so the positive progressing elements become even more diffuse and minor.

Especially given the rapid pace at which shit goes down.

Taramoor on
  • TarantioTarantio Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Balefuego wrote: »
    ...why? I thought that scene was fantastic.

I hated it for different reasons than I've heard (Cersei more sympathetic, etc.)

Book 1/Major series spoilers
    Why in the hell would Cersei draw attention to her children's hair color? Her big deep dark secret is that her kids are born of an incestuous union. Robert is apparently homozygous dominant for dark hair, so any children he has will have dark hair and that's how they were almost exposed by Jon Arryn previously. So why would Cersei make a big point of it to this lady she barely tolerates at best and considers an enemy at worst? The only reason for her to do so is to beat it over viewers' heads that her kids aren't trueborn heirs. It's really out of character and Cersei wouldn't be that dumb.

The dark-haired bastard reveal doesn't come until about halfway through the first book, and there's a reason it was paced thusly.
    To be fair, they don't know anything about genetics in these books. It's not all that weird to most people that the royal children have blond hair, just like their mother.

You have to do some serious genealogical research to figure out that blond children from a Barratheon/ Lannister union have never happened before, and quite a bit of real world sleuthing to find out that all of Roberts bastards have black hair like him. And there's no guarantee that Cersei even knows all of that.

Cersei is pretty damn stupid, and on top of that, she thinks she's a genius. If she gets the idea that some fake motherly bonding might help her in some way in the future, she's not likely to think twice about what else she might be giving away.

And to make this post not entirely composed of book spoilers in the show thread- Ilyn Payne is scary enough for me. He didn't look too physically imposing in the last episode, but he was standing next to the Hound. And he had a very creepy stare.

Tarantio on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Payne looked exactly the way I imagined him, if a bit shorter.

KalTorak on
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Tarantio wrote: »
    ...why? I thought that scene was fantastic.

I hated it for different reasons than I've heard (Cersei more sympathetic, etc.)

Book 1/Major series spoilers
    Why in the hell would Cersei draw attention to her children's hair color? Her big deep dark secret is that her kids are born of an incestuous union. Robert is apparently homozygous dominant for dark hair, so any children he has will have dark hair and that's how they were almost exposed by Jon Arryn previously. So why would Cersei make a big point of it to this lady she barely tolerates at best and considers an enemy at worst? The only reason for her to do so is to beat it over viewers' heads that her kids aren't trueborn heirs. It's really out of character and Cersei wouldn't be that dumb.

The dark-haired bastard reveal doesn't come until about halfway through the first book, and there's a reason it was paced thusly.
    To be fair, they don't know anything about genetics in these books. It's not all that weird to most people that the royal children have blond hair, just like their mother.

You have to do some serious genealogical research to figure out that blond children from a Barratheon/ Lannister union have never happened before, and quite a bit of real world sleuthing to find out that all of Roberts bastards have black hair like him. And there's no guarantee that Cersei even knows all of that.

Cersei is pretty damn stupid, and on top of that, she thinks she's a genius. If she gets the idea that some fake motherly bonding might help her in some way in the future, she's not likely to think twice about what else she might be giving away.

And to make this post not entirely composed of book spoilers in the show thread- Ilyn Payne is scary enough for me. He didn't look too physically imposing in the last episode, but he was standing next to the Hound. And he had a very creepy stare.

I hear his name in my mind as "Ill and Pain".

I keep thinking he's a Captain Planet villain or something.

Taramoor on
  • Kate of LokysKate of Lokys Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    KalTorak wrote: »
    I think the only thing missing from the show (and the books too, at this point) is some kind of small victory for the characters we're rooting for. Bad shit happens to characters in Mad Men and The Wire, sure, but interspersed with that we get to see Don put a golden campaign out of thin air and sell it to Lucky Strike, or McNulty put one over on Rawls. Little victories like that don't really make up for the bigger issues at stake, but they give the viewer a little pump up when something good happens for the characters they're rooting for.

Like I said, at this point there isn't that much opportunity for this sort of thing in the story so far. About the only little victorious moment I can think of is Tyriod bitchslapping Joffrey, which is less about a character victory and more about "somebody should slap that kid."

Yeah, I think this is Pixels' objection to the show: there's just nothing good. The book, I think, did a much better job of making characters likable. Take for instance Jon giving Arya her sword: it happens in the show, yeah, but there's not much to it. Jon hands her a sword, they hug, it's over in about a minute of total screen time. In the book, on the other hand,
    you have all the interior monologue details about how Jon and Arya finish each other's sentences all the time, and they're the only ones who really understand each other, and both of them take after their father while the rest of the family looks more Tully, and Jon is the one who musses up her hair and calls her "little sister," and the book just goes out of its way to show both characters as being the family outcasts - Jon for his heritage, Arya for her tomboyishness - who are warmer and closer and more affectionate to each other than any four of the other Starks combined.

Right now, the single most likable character in the show, by far, is Tyrion. And for people who have read the books,
    we like that because we know that underneath the sarcasm and the lechery and the exploitation of his status, he's one of the most decent men in all of fricking Westeros.
    But for the purposes of the show, I feel like he's just *too* charismatic - he's stealing the affection of the audience, and making the Starks look like a bunch of gloomy stick-arsed sad sacks instead of a proud house of honorable nobles.

Kate of Lokys on
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    But for the purposes of the show, I feel like he's just *too* charismatic - he's stealing the affection of the audience, and making the Starks look like a bunch of gloomy stick-arsed sad sacks instead of a proud house of honorable nobles.

Their family motto is "Winter is coming", so I think among the nobles, they ARE the gloomy-stick arses. That's part of why they're the masters of the North/Wall. They get shit done, but they aren't sunshine and flowers.

schuss on
  • ParadisoParadiso Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I found the scene in the Godswood in episode 2 to be a bit awkward. If you haven't read the book how on earth would you know or care why that quiet dude says he'll support Robb if it comes to war? He's not one of Ned's sons but seems to be lurking around a lot. I'm curious what someone who has fresh eyes from only watching the series thought of that. Was it confusing or did you just trust that it would be explained eventually?

Regarding Theon in the book:
    No, he doesn't do a whole hell of a lot besides smirk and talk about whores until Bran and the wildlings, but so far his characterization has seemed strange. He doesn't speak so you can't get the sense that he looks at Robb like a brother. The sacrifices you must make for an hour-long show, but if he's volunteering support in fighting the Lannisters you'd think they'd at least be like "Chill, Theon. We don't need your murderous viking lord father yet."

This should not be misconstrued with a dislike of the show, which I adore, but this part just gnaws at me for some reason.

Paradiso on
  • TlexTlex Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah I think Theon should be more aloof from the family, he seems too much like one of the brothers, and (Book 2/3 Spoilers!)
    It'll be hard to reconcile how he later acts with how he's acting at the moment, as a totally accepted part of the family, kinda like Jon.

Tlex on
  • Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Tlex wrote: »
    Yeah I think Theon should be more aloof from the family, he seems too much like one of the brothers, and (Book 2/3 Spoilers!)
    It'll be hard to reconcile how he later acts with how he's acting at the moment, as a totally accepted part of the family, kinda like Jon.
    ...Isn't that kind of the point, entirely? "Hey, you were one of us, then you went and (allegedly) killed our children and burned down our fucking house?"

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • JenosavelJenosavel Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    LaOs wrote: »
    I think that it would probably be easier for non-readers to watch the show if the readers did not explain the significance of things and people to them. Let the show play itself out, just like the books did when we read them. I think the explanations draw attention to the "lack" of explanations in the show, even though those unexplained things might not have needed to be explained at that point.

As a non-reader myself, I agree with this.

The show is a little overwhelming in the amount of information it presents already, and adding extra explanation from an outside source (books) could quickly push it over the line to where its so complex that you just you throw up your hands and give up.

Currently the show is striking a good balance for me. There's quite the overload of characters and settings and histories at first, to the point that I had only the vaguest idea of who was who and what was really going on after my first watching of ep 1. There was just too much info to soak in immediately. Where there is obviously more explanation missing, it just tells me interesting things are coming if I hang around.

In fact, the curiosity triggered by the things the show is deliberately withholding is what caused me to go back and re-watch episode 1 three more times interspersed between obsessive bouts of checking out the HBO spoiler-free history page. After all that and then watching episode 2 I'm pretty confident I know exactly who all the characters are now and where they're coming from.

However, if someone had just tried to dump all that information on me while I was watching the show for the first time, especially if it meant pausing the show repeatedly, I can say with a great deal of confidence that I would have found it overwhelming to the point of not being fun, and may very well have lost interest entirely.

I think the writers of the show seem to know what they're doing by only giving us the background information we absolutely need at any one point in time. It breaks things down into more digestible chunks, and where it leaves an obvious hole in the background/history, it just serves as tantalizing bait for future episodes.

Jenosavel on
    edited April 2011
    Kinda, but (same book spoilers as above)
    he was always shown as slightly aloof in the books, he was a few years older than the other boys afaik, and resented them for their relationship with their dad. Whereas in the show it seems like Robb/Jon are his best friends, and he is embraced rather than tolerated

Tlex on
  • MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Have they mentioned if the season/book pacing will be 1:1?

Also can't wait to see some of the casting choices

Mainly

book 3-4? spoilers

The assassin Arya meets who gives her the coin and if i recall leads her to ashi I think it is

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Tlex wrote: »
    Kinda, but (same book spoilers as above)
    he was always shown as slightly aloof in the books, he was a few years older than the other boys afaik, and resented them for their relationship with their dad. Whereas in the show it seems like Robb/Jon are his best friends, and he is embraced rather than tolerated

Who cares? So he's different in the show than he is in the books. I'm sure they'll make it work.

Jeez, I've read the books and even I'm getting tired of all the comparisons between the two.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
    edited April 2011
    I'm sure they can work it out and present it well, (same spoilers)
    it just seems like rather a large leap to make without all the added subtext, from loved semi-brother to burning Winterfell and "murdering" Bran and Rickon. But like I said, i'm sure they'll do a perfectly good job of it.

Tlex on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    minor Theon spoilers for a future episode:
    One of the 8000 preview videos HBO has up has a clip with Theon telling some girl that he's a Greyjoy, not a Stark. I think it'll be fine.

Tomanta on
  • Reverend_ChaosReverend_Chaos Suit Up! Spokane WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Madpanda wrote: »

Also can't wait to see some of the casting choices

So far the only thing that's been announced is the first two seasons, each will span it's respective book title, so this season should wrap up all of Game of Thrones, and the next one should encompass Clash of Kings

Also, would you guys stop dropping book spoilers in the thread specifically for the TV show....I know it's hard not to take what's on the show and move forward from there, but there is an entire thread for those of us who have read the novels, so if you want to discuss the show espeically in relation to the books, take it over there and let's leave this thread *book spoiler* free which was it's intended purpose.

Reverend_Chaos on
    “Think of me like Yoda, but instead of being little and green I wear suits and I'm awesome. I'm your bro—I'm Broda!”
  • JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    My girlfriend, who hasn't read the books, absolutely loves the show. She says that it's interesting instead of just being based on "good things happen to good people who always win". She likes the characters and is really looking forward to finding out more about the background of everyone.

Also, I'll ask again but isn't Jon Snows hair blonde/white in the books?

Johannen on
  • LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Johannen wrote: »
    My girlfriend, who hasn't read the books, absolutely loves the show. She says that it's interesting instead of just being based on "good things happen to good people who always win". She likes the characters and is really looking forward to finding out more about the background of everyone.

No. I, like whomever answered a similar question earlier, believe that he and Arya are typically described as the only two who look like Starks while the other children look similar to Tullys.

LaOs on
    edited April 2011

No. I, like whomever answered a similar question earlier, believe that he and Arya are typically described as the only two who look like Starks while the other children look similar to Tullys.

Isn't that because he has facial features much like Ned and has quite pale skin like ned.
    I thought it said he had light colored hair
    which is why all the Targaryen child theories are in there

I may be wrong.

However, I think casting is pretty great anyway.

Johannen on
  • LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

Isn't that because he has facial features much like Ned and has quite pale skin like ned.
    I thought it said he had light colored hair
    which is why all the Targaryen child theories are in there

I may be wrong.

However, I think casting is pretty great anyway.

I don't remember and my books are at home, but I don't think you're right... like, that's just my gut memory talking. Those theories in your spoiler (spoilers for all the books, really, for those unaware) are supported by much, much more compelling evidence.

LaOs on
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2011
    re: jon's appearance
    in chapter one of GoT,

"Jon’s eyes were a grey so dark they seemed almost black, but there was little they did not see. He was of an age with Robb, but they did not look alike. Jon was slender where Robb was muscular, dark where Robb was fair, graceful and quick where his half brother was strong and fast."

Organichu on
    edited April 2011
    Organichu wrote: »
    in chapter one of GoT,

"Jon’s eyes were a grey so dark they seemed almost black, but there was little they did not see. He was of an age with Robb, but they did not look alike. Jon was slender where Robb was muscular, dark where Robb was fair, graceful and quick where his half brother was strong and fast."

Huh.

I should stop picturing him as a young Geralt.

Johannen on
  • DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm not much of a reader, but due to loving the fantasy world setting and Sean Bean, I tuned in. Like most who hadn't read the books, I was a bit overwhelmed, but am quickly catching on.

In regards to the "depressing" and "nothing good ever happens" quality, I can see why that would push people away. It's not bothering me too much.

Decoy on
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    I always assumed John's hair was black
    which made the Targaryen stuff sound even more ridiculous.

Fizban140 on
  • MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    People who have read the book and are explaining shit to people who are just watching the show are doing it wrong. If you just read the books there is a lot of shit you don't know until later in the book. Your explanations are going to ruin later episodes as the explanation would have ruined later chapters in the books.

I do love the show so far, and I like Arya especially.

Magell on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    his hair is black but it dosen't make that ridiculous at all considering the overwhelming amount of evidence in favor of it

thats a conversation for the book thread though

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited April 2011
    in chapter one of GoT,

Huh.

That's actually how I pictured him the first time through as well - almost a bit albino-y. My friend said he pictured Jon looking like David Bowie. I wonder what it is in the text that gave us that impression?

Jacobkosh on
    rRwz9.gif
  • CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It's because his name is Snow.

Cabezone on
  • Wandering IdiotWandering Idiot Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    His comments after the second episode:
    "That was just the most emotionally draining hour of television I've ever watched, it was miserable."
    He should, uh, probably never watch season 4 of The Wire. Or any of it, really.

My girlfriend, who hasn't read the books, absolutely loves the show. She says that it's interesting instead of just being based on "good things happen to good people who always win".
    Marry this woman.

Magell wrote: »
    People who have read the book and are explaining shit to people who are just watching the show are doing it wrong.
    I'd have to agree with this. I feel like the majority of the book readers watching it with non-readers and complaining that they were confused by it is because said non-readers asked "who's that guy again?" and got a paragraphs-long explanation instead of waiting for the show to explain/reiterate the information naturally. I think I was halfway through the first season of The Wire before I knew everyone's name, and I liked that show just fine. In this, I felt like Ned Stark had 3 or 4 samey looking dark-haired prettyboy sons in the scene where they found the direwolves, and a full explanation would probably have been hard to keep track of at that point (I found out I was wrong because of the second episode and glancing at the HBO viewers guide, but I don't think the latter would have been necessary).

Wandering Idiot on
    edited April 2011
    yeah, even as a reader of the books I am finding the way some of the other people familiar with the source material are trying to explain everything to the neophytes fairly grating

also I am pretty sure I did not know Kima's name until halfway through season 2 of The Wire

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kate of LokysKate of Lokys Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    in chapter one of GoT,

Huh.

That's actually how I pictured him the first time through as well - almost a bit albino-y. My friend said he pictured Jon looking like David Bowie. I wonder what it is in the text that gave us that impression?

There's a passage about halfway through the first book:
    It's Arya's point of view, recalling a memory of when all the Stark kids were down in the crypt together:
    When the spirit stepped out of the open tomb, pale white and moaning for blood, Sansa ran shrieking for the stairs, and Bran wrapped himself around Robb's leg, sobbing. Arya stood her ground and gave the spirit a punch. It was only Jon, covered with flour. "You stupid," she told him, "you scared the baby," but Jon and Robb just laughed and laughed, and pretty soon Bran and Arya were laughing too.

It *is* just flour, but between that passage and the albino wolf named Ghost and his own wintry name, I can see how people would develop a mental image of a pale Jon Snow.

Kate of Lokys on
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    yeah, even as a reader of the books I am finding the way some of the other people familiar with the source material are trying to explain everything to the neophytes fairly grating

also I am pretty sure I did not know Kima's name until halfway through season 2 of The Wire

Because everyone called her Gregs.

I do like the way Game of Thrones introduces chracters though, like the scenes with Jaime before he was relevant to the plot, builds him up and then he does something to remember him by. They also made sure to mention that his sister is the queen, all of it came out nicely for an episode I think. No idea how it flowed for people who didn't read the books.

Fizban140 on
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

So far the only thing that's been announced is the first two seasons, each will span it's respective book title, so this season should wrap up all of Game of Thrones, and the next one should encompass Clash of Kings[/U]

I think Martin has said he hopes that they do 1:1 for GoT and CoK, and then SoS and FFC get three seasons between them.

Shadowen on
  • MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Rodrik's "side whiskers" are ridiculous in the show. That's ... not how I imagine them at all. That's not even how they are described, really. Also, I hope they do a good job with Tywin's armor.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    in chapter one of GoT,

Huh.

bowie-labyrinth.jpg

John Snow of the Night's Watch

override367 on
  • AurinAurin Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I felt bad for my non-book reading hubby during episode 2...
    I was bawling for dead wolves when Arya spanked Joeffrey and ran off. Poor hubby got spoiled there. ~_~

And, by the way, my husband is enjoying the hell out of the series so far, even though he only read the first chapter or so of GoT. So it can be interesting to those who haven't read the books. ;-)

Aurin on
    edited April 2011
    Shadowen wrote: »

So far the only thing that's been announced is the first two seasons, each will span it's respective book title, so this season should wrap up all of Game of Thrones, and the next one should encompass Clash of Kings[/U]

I think Martin has said he hopes that they do 1:1 for GoT and CoK, and then SoS and FFC get three seasons between them.

Actually what he said was 1:1 for GoT and Clash, then 2 for Storm, then 3 for Feast/Dance

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BluntlyBluntly Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Shadowen wrote: »

Actually what he said was 1:1 for GoT and Clash, then 2 for Storm, then 3 for Feast/Dance

Yeah. Which is kinda ridiculous. I suspect that if the show even gets that far, they'll start making seasons long and cutting things.

Bluntly on
This discussion has been closed.