As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Western Animation thread

• IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Novelty is certainly a large part of it, but the characters are genuinely likable, saccharine though their universe is, and there are a lot of little winks to pop culture (Benny Hill chase, Road Runner eating scene) and some really great cartooning on an artistic level.

Incenjucar on
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    what about powerpuff girls

what makes something "for girls", anyway

Nerdgasmic on
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    "For girls" is mostly just cultural momentum, but a good show is a good show. Some of the "for girls" showed in the 80s weren't terrible, especially their movie versions. The Smooze is still one of the most horrible monsters to hit the big screen.

Incenjucar on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    i don't think powerpuff girls was for girls. more of a lampoon or parody of girls shows.

and yeah, people like my little pony because it's a good show. it gets more attention because it's originally a show for girls.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I figured people liked it because it was the closest thing out there to a successors to Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends.
    Clearly there needs to be a Cheese Pony
    Badabup Badabup Badabup Badabup Badabup Badabup BadabupI'MA HORSEY!!!!!!!!! NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEIGH

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    found this gem on reddit for Batman:TAS artstyle. Spoiler for huge
    1sQdd.jpg

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    found this gem on reddit for Batman:TAS artstyle. Spoiler for huge
    1sQdd.jpg

I love those things. I saw a series of "do's and don'ts" from the King of the Hill production team and that was really interesting as well.

i really like that kind of insight. :)

21stCentury on
  • AtomBombAtomBomb Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I like this one from Bruce Timm of things the network won't let you do in B:TAS.
    see_you_in_hell.jpg

AtomBomb on
    I just got a 3DS XL. Add me! 2879-0925-7162
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Heh, always loved that one.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    what about powerpuff girls

what makes something "for girls", anyway

Boys don't like. Girls do.

How many trips did you make down the Pink Aisle at a toy store when you were growing up?

emnmnme on
    edited April 2011
    I think there used to be powerpuff girls toys

Nerdgasmic on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    If I remember right, MGM also couldn't be arsed to market it for whatever reason.

Pretty much, I was a bit young at the time, but all I remember was it being played on TV on either Cartoon Network or Disney channel (Most likely Cartoon Network in hindsight)

I was utterly entranced by the movie. Then I saw it in a bargain bin years later in a Grocery store and picked it up for $9 on a whim. Much to my surprise it holds up amazingly and now that i'm older and an animation student I can really appreciate what they accomplished with this movie.

The animation and characterization of Sawyer alone in that movie is glorious, but the rest of the cast is stellar as well.

The simple fact that Gene Kelly had a hand in making it automatically meant it would be great.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • NinjabearNinjabear Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This week's Generator Rex was crazy awesome. It's like they wrote this episode after getting high and watching "Balls of Fury".

Ninjabear on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me!!! Friend Code: 2981-7429-8364
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ninjabear wrote: »
    This week's Generator Rex was crazy awesome. It's like they wrote this episode after getting high and watching "Balls of Fury".

I love this show. So much.

yalborap on
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Generator Rex satisfies the dream I always had as a kid of being able to randomly sprout crazy fuckawesome mechanical stuff, kind of like inspector Gadget but more stylish than wacky.

Mortal Sky on
  • MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    A new season of Phineas and Ferb started awhile ago, and so far, this is my favorite episode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UNVPBYb2iUk

I love Adysson's line.

Matthew on
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I just finished watchin all of Phineas and Ferb on Netflix. I was surprised to find all of the season 3 episodes on there as well (including that one). I was also surprised to find out how long it is between new episodes airing.

Opty on
  • BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    Okay, I'm watching through Avatar, and while I probably should have been posting my thoughts and theories for your mockery and amusement, I've finally picked something I wish to share:
    I love how unabashedly full of shit Sokka was on the schedule. They stop all the damn time and still manage to come in four day early. I know there could have been a buffer for weather, but it really seems like he counted in team flakiness and just never told them to keep them in line.

Bagginses on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Bagginses wrote: »
    Okay, I'm watching through Avatar, and while I probably should have been posting my thoughts and theories for your mockery and amusement, I've finally picked something I wish to share:
    I love how unabashedly full of shit Sokka was on the schedule. They stop all the damn time and still manage to come in four day early. I know there could have been a buffer for weather, but it really seems like he counted in team flakiness and just never told them to keep them in line.

During what part, specifically?

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I assume Bagginses is referring to the episode Nightmares and Daydreams right before the Day of Black Sun.

Edit: Here's a screenshot if you don't quite recall.
    Dfq6V.gif

Tertiee on
    edited April 2011
    Tertiee wrote: »
    I assume Bagginses is referring to the episode Nightmares and Daydreams right before the Day of Black Sun.

Ah, right. Been awhile since I finished Avatar.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    Tertiee wrote: »

Edit: Here's a screenshot if you don't quite recall.
    Dfq6V.gif

Mainly Painted Lady, actually, as that's where he's going nuts about it. That made me wonder I he'd remembered who he was traveling with, and I actually speculated that he was pulling something like that, especially after his personal time in the next episode.

Bagginses on
  • ZandraconZandracon Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Zandracon on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Zandracon wrote: »

Two minutes and thirty seconds later, they've sold me a ticket.
    Those bastards.

see317 on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    see317 wrote: »
    Zandracon wrote: »

Two minutes and thirty seconds later, they've sold me a ticket.
    Those bastards.

I've never even heard of that before, and now I have to go track down more information. And now I'm sad, because I know it's not going to look like that.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
    edited April 2011
    New Brave and the Bold episodes start May 27th and new Young Justice episodes start June 3rd.

http://worldsfinestonline.com/news.php?action=fullnews&id=1020

Tertiee on
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Uh, there was a new Brave and the Bold on for the last 3 weeks

Last week was Vampire Batman

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    edited April 2011
    In that case the real announcement for Brave and the Bold is that Cartoon Network will be showing reruns for most of May.

Tertiee on
  • LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So, about that new Looney Tunes Show...

Sorry if these were posted before, but I don't recall seeing them before today. Plus, the show starts on Cartoon Network May 2nd... or 3rd, I've heard both.

My Phineas and Ferb viewings may have a rival, if either YTV or Teletoon gets this.

Oh, and there's an interview about it here.

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifJZuC7sH.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • ZomroZomro Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Nightslyr wrote: »
    manaleak34 wrote: »
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    are there any cartoons on Netflix instant watch that you guys would recommend

SERIES:
    Phineas and Ferb
    Spectacular Spider-Man
    Wallace and Gromit
    Jackie Chan Adventures
    Rocky & Bullwinkle
    Also if you have any nostalgia for classic Nick there's plenty of those on there. (Rugrats, Ren & Stimpy, Hey Arnold, Rocko's Modern Life, etc)

MOVIES:
    The Iron Giant
    The Secret of Kells
    The Haunted World of El Superbeasto
    Toy Story 3
    Up
    The Princess and the Frog
    Cats Don't Dance

And if you're in the mood for something terrible there...Delgo

I'd add EXO Squad, Gargoyles, and Batman: TAS to the list. EXO Squad is on Hulu. Not sure about the others.

I second the recomendation for Gargoyles. One of my favorite animated series. It had great animation, good voice acting (Goliath and Xanatos in particular), a lot of cool villains and plots. I still love the whole Macbeth and Demona history. So awesome.

I'm also very impressed with the recent shows on Cartoon Network, specifically Regular Show. Regular Show has got to be one of the funniest things I've seen recently. So much crazy and whacky shit goes down and doesn't detract from the hilarious "normal" things that Rigby and Mordecai do.

"Hamboning will save your life some day!"

Zomro on
  • tallgeezetallgeeze Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I have yet to see a full episode of Regular Show. It's a shame because once I heard one of the main characters is named Mordecai I wanted to see it.

tallgeeze on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hm. It's still a bit too talky for my tastes, but Speedy? An actually funny Lola? A full-on fightfight among the entire main cast?

This new Looney Tunes has promise.

Edit: Apparently Kristen Wiig is Lola and Fred Armisen is Speedy. Cool.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I liked half of those Looney Tunes clips (didn't care for the Marvin the Martian one), so I'll probably give it a shot.

I'm just impressed that they brought Speedy Gonzales back.

Hexmage-PA on
    edited April 2011
    New Aquateens series coming out. I'm not a big ATHF fan but I'm interested in seeing it.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It's all the old episodes, but the background is replaced with space.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
    edited April 2011
    agoaj wrote: »
    It's all the old episodes, but the background is replaced with space.

Somehow I don't doubt that.

Hexmage-PA on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Hm. It's still a bit too talky for my tastes, but Speedy? An actually funny Lola? A full-on fightfight among the entire main cast?

This new Looney Tunes has promise.

Edit: Apparently Kristen Wiig is Lola and Fred Armisen is Speedy. Cool.

Pretty sure Lola was never meant to be funny. Then again I could never quite figure out what she was supposed to bring to the Looney Tunes universe other than a shit load of furries.

Edit: Also watching those clips makes me realize how much I miss Mel Blanc.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    edited April 2011
    Okay, I'm excited for the new Adventure Time:
    tumblr_lkdt77zHmJ1qzrbk9

It's a mushroom cloud composed of spectral skulls.

This is also apparently going to be part one of a two part special introducing the Lich King.

Hexmage-PA on
    edited April 2011
    I thought that one guy killed the lich king

Nerdgasmic on
This discussion has been closed.