As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[TV] Game of Thrones, presented by HBO - NO BOOK DISCUSSION.

• ShenShen Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Feast would need like half a season, if that. A lot of nothing happens in that book.

Shen on
    3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    Johannen wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    re: jon's appearance
    in chapter one of GoT,

"Jon’s eyes were a grey so dark they seemed almost black, but there was little they did not see. He was of an age with Robb, but they did not look alike. Jon was slender where Robb was muscular, dark where Robb was fair, graceful and quick where his half brother was strong and fast."

Huh.

I should stop picturing him as a young Geralt.

That's actually how I pictured him the first time through as well - almost a bit albino-y. My friend said he pictured Jon looking like David Bowie. I wonder what it is in the text that gave us that impression?

I actually pictured him VERY similar to the shows portrayal. Odd.

DemonStacey on
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    DaemonSadi wrote: »
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    Johannen wrote: »
    Organichu wrote: »
    re: jon's appearance
    in chapter one of GoT,

"Jon’s eyes were a grey so dark they seemed almost black, but there was little they did not see. He was of an age with Robb, but they did not look alike. Jon was slender where Robb was muscular, dark where Robb was fair, graceful and quick where his half brother was strong and fast."

Huh.

I should stop picturing him as a young Geralt.

That's actually how I pictured him the first time through as well - almost a bit albino-y. My friend said he pictured Jon looking like David Bowie. I wonder what it is in the text that gave us that impression?

I actually pictured him VERY similar to the shows portrayal. Odd.

Yeah, the show's portrayal is almost spot on for me. Where the hell did that albino stuff come from?
    In related news, the show's portrayal of Robert is identical to my second choice, as initially I pictured him as something close to Brian Blessed, with Mark Addy with a beard as a second choice, so that was pretty much spot on for me.

Rhan9 on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Shen wrote: »
    Feast would need like half a season, if that. A lot of nothing happens in that book.

This is patently untrue, but it would need to be merged with Dance since much of the 2 books happen concurrently

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Balefuego wrote: »

This is patently untrue, but it would need to be merged with Dance since much of the 2 books happen concurrently

Most of Feast was going to be skipped over in a BSG style "three years later" wasn't it? I could certainly see only a few of the strands getting full attention and a lot being glossed over in the way they were originally depending how significant they are in the later books.

Tastyfish on
  • ShenShen Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Balefuego wrote: »

It's 850 pages and could stand to be a good deal shorter. A lot of the book was each of the characters in-transit to a destination, which is great if you have to flesh out a world but doesn't work as well in television.

Feast for Crows spoilers:
    Brienne roaming aimlessly in completely the wrong direction, the different Sealord perspectives, Arya and Sansa's slow burning arcs. Even Sam's only good for a single revelation. I can't comment on the Martells because I found those chapters hopelessly boring so I'd be biased. Focusing primarily on Cersei and Jaime developing in opposite directions would make for more effective viewing (in my opinion, of course).

Merging it with Dance would likely supplement a lot of the agency that is missing though, I'll grant that.

Shen on
    3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, there's no way they'd get two seasons of SoS and three for Feast/Dance. I'm just hoping they extend their seasons to 13-16 episodes.

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I do like this picture.
    omariscoming.png

Too much fun.

Taramoor on
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Taramoor wrote: »
    I do like this picture.
    282104757.png?AWSAccessKeyId=AKIAJF3XCCKACR3QDMOA&Expires=1304149923&Signature=SwN27%2Bb0M3gtdAzlV%2BxSnaJPMlk%3D

Too much fun.

I get an error, no pic.

Xeddicus on
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Taramoor wrote: »
    I do like this picture.
    omariscoming.png

Too much fun.

I get an error, no pic.

My bad.

Taramoor on
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Worth it.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So I'm excited for how they're going to represent the Brotherhood in this next episode. There are so many of them, and they really have pretty disparate personalities.

devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    devCharles wrote: »
    So I'm excited for how they're going to represent the Brotherhood in this next episode. There are so many of them, and they really have pretty disparate personalities.

I've been turning it over and trying to figure out what you mean by Brotherhood. Nothing comes up that relates to the first book. Mind clarifying what you mean?

Tamin on
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'd imagine the Sworn Brothers of the Night Watch.

Shadowen on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Is it just me, or does Catelyn come across as much more of a bitch in the TV series than in the book, at least so far? Even without telling Jon that she wishes it was him instead of Bran that got hurt (in the TV version). Damn.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
    edited May 2011
    Shadowen wrote: »
    I'd imagine the Sworn Brothers of the Night Watch.

Oh, of course. Now I feel silly

Tamin on
  • stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Drez wrote: »
    Is it just me, or does Catelyn come across as much more of a bitch in the TV series than in the book, at least so far? Even without telling Jon that she wishes it was him instead of Bran that got hurt (in the TV version). Damn.

She seems much more cold and openly opposed to the things going on around her.

I think ultimately this will jive with her personality later on and will only strengthen the character and her reasoning in the series.

stevemarks44 on
  • rocketvatrocketvat Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well, the book readers didn't waste any time shitting all over another thread with the exact same spoilerific discussions. So much for having a haven for show-watchers.

rocketvat on
    edited May 2011
    rocketvat wrote: »
    Well, the book readers didn't waste any time shitting all over another thread with the exact same spoilerific discussions. So much for having a haven for show-watchers.

I do think any discussion of Feast should have been spoilered but I think discussing differences between the books and the show with things like characterization (if you were referring to the discussion I was just having with Drez) are inevitable and don't really spoil anything beyond that character not dying between the episode you just watched and the beginning of the next.

stevemarks44 on
  • rocketvatrocketvat Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It's the fact that you guys are controlling the discussion and making it an inhospitable thread for people who might want to, you know, discuss the show in the show thread? And not the books?

You already clearly ruined the series for your roommate by overexplaining and infodumping, maybe give it a rest?

rocketvat on
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011

She seems much more cold and openly opposed to the things going on around her.

I think ultimately this will jive with her personality later on and will only strengthen the character and her reasoning in the series.

To me she has always been a bitch, the tone just didn't come through in the books as well for some I guess but that is exactly how I imagined her, except in my head she is much hotter.

Fizban140 on
    edited May 2011
    It's the fact that you guys are controlling the discussion and making it an inhospitable thread for people who might want to, you know, discuss the show in the show thread? And not the books?

You already clearly ruined the series for your roommate by overexplaining and infodumping, maybe give it a rest?

I think its fair to ask that maybe you could please take it from a 10 to about a 3 in terms of hostility.

I don't remember you posting at all in this thread before so I think its a silly for you to say that people are ruining the tv thread by discussing the tv show insofar as it relates to the books.

I guess maybe bring something up? Discussion about the show itself isn't being overtaken, and I'm sure if someone started talking about the show a bunch of people (myself included) would be happy to talk about whatever was brought up.

Also I answered questions my roommate was asking me. In this thread I'm answering questions that people are asking. I really don't understand why you're so bothered. You started out annoyed that people were spoiling the books (which hasn't really happened at all) and now you're mad that people are talking about the books vs the show. I think it'd be more productive to start a discussion about the show itself rather than lead a crusade to kill the discussion in the thread.

stevemarks44 on
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Catelyn does seem to have gotten the worst of the aging hammer(Cat-Ned-Robert-Cersei-Jaime are all within 2 years of each other in the book). They have skipped a bit on the "mother with best intentions" that shows in early book 1, which is dubious because of her motivations later on.

SanderJK on
    Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
    edited May 2011

Watching the show necessarily spoils the book for you, up to the point in the story that has been shown. This is a very faithful adaptation, and that was expressed by the book's author himself. So, as anal as I am about spoilers, and I am quite anal about them, I think it is rather excessive to call us "inhospitable" for discussing adaptation differences.

Technically, you are right. It is inhospitable to someone who has not read the books but is watching the series, and prefers to avoid total discussion of the book content. But, it is just as inhospitable to tell those of us who have read the books and are watching the TV series that we cannot contrast or compare the two. And it is just as controlling. So, should we have a third thread for people who have read the books and the TV series? Plenty of readers do not have nor want HBO, so discussing the TV show there would be just as "inhospitable" by your standards.

So let's be reasonable. Reasonable: Expecting people to spoiler-tag discussion of future events, characters, or changes in characterizations that have already been shown in the TV series that they are pulling from their knowledge of the books. Unreasonable: Complaining because someone contrasted how a character is portrayed in the TV series to how that character was portrayed in the same content-span of the book. At least, that's my opinion.

I haven't even read Feast yet, for what it's worth, and I do think it is totally reasonable that any discussion of anything that hasn't been shown in the TV series yet be spoiler-tagged, but openly discussing differences between the TV series and what has happened up to that point in the book? Um...

Drez on
    edited May 2011
    Have we even seen Rickon? Robb mentions Rickon in episode 2, but I don't remember seeing him. Also, is it just me or are they being very stingy with actually referring to characters by name. So far:
    Tommen, Myrcella, and Theon have not, to my knowledge, been called by name yet.

Drez on
    edited May 2011
    Have we even seen Rickon? Robb mentions Rickon in episode 2, but I don't remember seeing him. Also, is it just me or are they being very stingy with actually referring to characters by name. So far:

Rickon was in the archery scene in episode 1, IIRC. He was on a horse, laughing at Bran.

edit: re-watching it, he's just sitting on an elevated saddle, not actually on a horse.

Tamin on
    edited May 2011
    Tamin wrote: »

Rickon was in the archery scene in episode 1, IIRC. He was on a horse, laughing at Bran.

Ahh, thanks.

Drez on
    edited May 2011
    Yeah Rickon is shown very briefly laughing on the horse.

It's the same shot they showed introducing him in all of the previews and commercials.

But other than that, we haven't seen too much of any of the Stark children aside from Jon. Arya and Sansa have had brief archetype-defining scenes and Robb hasn't done much either.

stevemarks44 on
    edited May 2011
    I'm having trouble wording this, but I prefer the whole "not naming people" thing.

realistically, if my brother comes up to me while I'm talking to my sister, and asks me a question, I wouldn't use his name; I'd just answer it.

Tamin on
    edited May 2011
    I'm having trouble wording this, but I prefer the whole "not naming people" thing.

realistically, if my brother comes up to me while I'm talking to my sister, and asks me a question, I wouldn't use his name; I'd just answer it.

Is that so, Tamin?

Drez on
    edited May 2011

Is that so, Tamin?

:P

Tamin on
    edited May 2011
    Yeah this show has done a great job (as did The Wire) at introducing characters but offering their names and backstories without that person having to spell it out.

It is the benefit to an ensemble where people are always interacting that sooner or later a character name or situation will come up without that character initiating.

stevemarks44 on
    edited May 2011
    well. I probably shouldn't have started watching the episode to answer Drez's question. Now I'm stuck watching both.

also: I'm slightly unhappy with their pronunciation of Arya's name. I've always called her "Aria" in my head.

Tamin on
    edited May 2011
    One scene I've really dug thus far is the scene at breakfast with Tyrion, Cersei, Jamie and the Lannister children.

More than any other scene it added some depth to Tyrion. So far we've seen him reading, whoring and drinking. Even his scenes with John do very little to establish him as anything other than clever. The way he interacted with the younger Lannisters was great.

One question I have that deals with the book spoilers (only book 1)
    So where is Jons direwolf?

stevemarks44 on
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Realistically, we live in 21st century Real Worldistan with customs of politeness and speech that developed and exist completely distinctly from the United States of Fantasya. ;p

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Yeah this show has done a great job (as did The Wire) at introducing characters but offering their names and backstories without that person having to spell it out.

It is the benefit to an ensemble where people are always interacting that sooner or later a character name or situation will come up without that character initiating.

Yeah, I'm really liking their handling of things so far.

And for those that aren't book readers (and have an HBO subscription) and would like more backstory without carefully studying everything, try watching the first couple of episodes on HBOGO.

The video quality is great and the trivia track that pops up on the side does an excellent job of explaining things and people in short, easy to digest blurbs without spoilers or TMI.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    edited May 2011
    Oh, cool. Both Viserys and Dany are wearing 3-headed dragon pins in the first episode. Didn't catch that earlier.

Tamin on
  • NytewarriorNytewarrior Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm really enjoying the series so far. Enjoyed it so much that I got the first book after watching the first episode.

Also, this:
    Awesome cover of the intro music

Nytewarrior on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Midnyte_Rage
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Oh, cool. Both Viserys and Dany are wearing 3-headed dragon pins in the first episode. Didn't catch that earlier.

Well, it was hard to notice Dany was wearing anything at all in the first episode.

Shadowen on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ok that cover is rad as fuck.

KalTorak on
This discussion has been closed.