As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[BRINK] Hang on, the Boat-Bus is in for some chop! (OUT NOW!)

• MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    360, here.

WE BE JAMMIN NAO ON DA BOAT BUS THING.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So how does the faction selection affect multiplayer/co-op? it seems like they would have each side separate since they go against each other but it seems like if they go that route, it could unbalenced if everyone plays a specific side

making one of each faction?

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • no worriesno worries Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    mts wrote: »
    So how does the faction selection affect multiplayer/co-op? it seems like they would have each side separate since they go against each other but it seems like if they go that route, it could unbalenced if everyone plays a specific side

making one of each faction?

Any character you have has a saved load-out for each faction. So that character is playable on either side.

no worries on
  • LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Are 360 and PC players gonna be able to play together? I see a lot of people here saying they're buying on the 360 but doggone it I can NOT play FPSes or even anything LIKE FPSes without a keyboard and mouse :(

Ledneh on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Looks like there are plans for an RPS server for the PC version.

LewieP on
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The only acceptable server locations are New York, Toronto, or Chicago.

And they're not going to do 360 and pc cross-platform play, but you can apparently play on the pc with your 360 pad.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    DrDreidel wrote: »
    Fellow BLOPSers, will you be Brinking it up on the 360 or PC?

both.

I pre-ordered it on a whim last year for PC because I remember looking at it on steam and being like "holy shit, that looks banoodles!" and I couldn't possibly give them money any faster. Then I hopped on the BLOPS bus, found out the majority are getting it for 360 and realized I can't quit you guys. I don't want to preorder it from gamestop because that's like the least interesting bonus ever, the amazon one looks the best but apparently Canadians don't get the amazon bonus.

edit: also I wish they'd just get off the high horse and allow cross-complayability-- so what if a bunch of neckbeards whine and complain that KBAM is clearly superior control scheme, I had a shitload of fun playing Shadowrun on both control schemes. Also I betcha like 75% of the time those neckbeards are just afraid that if they actually try playing against controller users they might find out that KBAM isn't as much of an advantage as they believe it is.

Hater's gonna hate and all.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It's less about advantage and more being able to type, to me

That and I grew up with KBAM so using a controller seems just flat out wrong to me :(

Ledneh on
  • DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    So a question, mostly directed at That_Guy (since he has the most experience) but anyone feel free to jump in: I am going to get a server set up for Brink, and the fact that there isn't just one partner (a la GameServers for BLOPS) I'm wondering if there are certain companies that are just better than others with hosting, and ones I should avoid all together?
    If you do get a server, and this applies to everyone, please PM me your server details and I'll gladly post that info into the OP.

Also keep in mind that since Brink's servers are freely available (unlike most big AAA PC shooters these days), you don't HAVE to go through a game server hosting company. If you've got a decent PC connected somewhere with a beefy (non-residential) connection, that will probably be sufficient to run a Brink server.

Thanks Carbon. I will probably still go through the hosting company, however, since I'm sitting behind a fairly decent (but capped) connection in Ohio.

DietarySupplement on
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ledneh wrote: »
    Are 360 and PC players gonna be able to play together? I see a lot of people here saying they're buying on the 360 but doggone it I can NOT play FPSes or even anything LIKE FPSes without a keyboard and mouse :(

I wouldn't feel too lonely, the SMARTWANG Steam Group is currently 49 players strong, and I have a feeling once this game is released we'll probably get a lot more (mainly from the TF2 and BLOPS communities I'd imagine).
    Page- wrote: »

Dallas. Us West Coasters still get acceptable pings to Dallas. Chicago is pushing it, and New York is pretty much high ping land.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Steel-LionSteel-Lion Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    360 here, all the way because the Blops crowd are hilarious, plus I hope to play with new people and shoot many more manz!

Steel-Lion on
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    that's good and fine, but not really an argument about letting me decide what I want to play with. . . I have sort of the same argument about reconfigurable controls in games-- Every game should allow me to remap my controls however I want... If I want to bind every button to shoot leaving me unable to move, look, jump, reload, and otherwise play like a total retard that should totally be on me. By allowing remappable controls it just allows other players to play in a way that works for them.

edit: but I don't really want to turn the thread into that direction.

so, how about that dress-up game? I'm going to make me some burly mans with extra muscles!

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

360. When I can afford it. Which ... um... could be a bit.

EDIT: Apparently I need to learn about K-Mart deals.

KMART has been stepping up its gaming deals reaaaaaaallly big this past year now, I've racked up around a average of $20 off each game I've bought this past year by picking them up at KMART.

1) Sign up for SYWR (Shop your way rewards) - http://www.shopyourwayrewards.com/sywr/home_do;jsessionid=7A09AF5C7D2C96DC52627F353C244237.sywrapp302p01
    2) Keep an eye on Cheapassgamer.com and the KMART thread (V6 coming shortly) http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=290191
    3) Profit

Recently KMART had a "Buy $120 or more of gaming software, get $60 in gaming coupons " meaning you got $60 worth of points added to your SYWR card/account and you can redeem them on anything from Sears/KMART/LL Bean

Wait until the next round of weekly deals comes out and they might have a preorder bonus for BRINK where you buy some like $5 item and get a $15 off coupon for BRINK. They've done this a few times before so keep an eye on it. However on release they have those deals for buy it and get a coupon to be used on another game purchase.

Depending on what the deal is I might be willing to mail you the coupon Mercy so I can bitch about how crappy your host is on a different game.

iRevert on
  • LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

both.

I pre-ordered it on a whim last year for PC because I remember looking at it on steam and being like "holy shit, that looks banoodles!" and I couldn't possibly give them money any faster. Then I hopped on the BLOPS bus, found out the majority are getting it for 360 and realized I can't quit you guys. I don't want to preorder it from gamestop because that's like the least interesting bonus ever, the amazon one looks the best but apparently Canadians don't get the amazon bonus.

edit: also I wish they'd just get off the high horse and allow cross-complayability-- so what if a bunch of neckbeards whine and complain that KBAM is clearly superior control scheme, I had a shitload of fun playing Shadowrun on both control schemes. Also I betcha like 75% of the time those neckbeards are just afraid that if they actually try playing against controller users they might find out that KBAM isn't as much of an advantage as they believe it is.

But the only reason you can aim at all with a controller is because of things like view adhesion, view friction, and aim attraction. The game has to help you make up for the deficiencies of the controller. While an individual may prefer it, and actually be better using a controller, KBAM is literally, objectively more precise than a controller for FPS's.

Here's one of the devs who worked on porting Monday Night Combat to the PC talking about all the changes they had to made to accommodate the switch:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/2011/1/24/new-world-record/

Lemming on
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Ledneh wrote: »

I wouldn't feel too lonely, the SMARTWANG Steam Group is currently 49 players strong, and I have a feeling once this game is released we'll probably get a lot more (mainly from the TF2 and BLOPS communities I'd imagine).

Dallas. Us West Coasters still get acceptable pings to Dallas. Chicago is pushing it, and New York is pretty much high ping land.

Dallas is a pretty good location for everyone. If we have enough demand, we could have a server in Chicago and Dallas.

That_Guy on
    edited April 2011

Like I want to play with dirty left coasters anyway.

Dallas is alright, but I needs that <30 ping. I need it so badly. I am the worst hpb.

All this talk of remapping keys and remembering that there's a console makes me hope there are proper config files that I can edit in my spare time. Pushing for complex cvar scripts would be too much, but that would be swell, too.

I still have fond memories of lans back in the day, waiting for someone to go to the washroom or get a drink, then quickly running over to their machine and randomly rebinding keys, or binding a random key to "/unbind all," or, if we had enough time, binding their keys so that every time they pressed a key it would rebind another key.

Man, I'm going to end up buying this game regardless, I can tell.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • 815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

both.

I think it could work fine if they had specific servers for cross platform play, so 360 players who don't want to play against KBAM players can do so in peace.

815165 on
  • LyveWireLyveWire Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Okay I pre-ordered if i could get a group invite that would be great.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Lyvewire

LyveWire on
    edited April 2011
    MrVyngaard wrote: »

ALL ABOARD!

boatbus.jpg

CarbonFire on
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    i will take an invite as well, steam link is in my sig

mts on
    camo_sig.png
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    iRevert wrote: »

About tree siddy

I'm not preordering this, there just isn't enough incentive (Read: Free shit & Discounts) to make me want to. Oooh a free mask or hat? Everyone and their brother is going to have it and its quickly going to be tossed under the bus when they unlock new stuff.

I'll just wait till a week before it drops and check out KMART's weekly deals and get $10-$15 back when I buy it.

Well it was 25% off at D2D like last weekend

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Erin The RedErin The Red The Name's Erin! Woman, Podcaster, Dungeon Master, IT nerd, Parent, Trans. AMA Baton Rouge, LARegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Can I get an add from the 360 MetaTag?
    GT: TheVashtaNerada

Erin The Red on
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Can someone shoot me an invite to the Steam group?

Maddoc on
  • MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Depending on what the deal is I might be willing to mail you the coupon Mercy so I can bitch about how crappy your host is on a different game.

1274343555.png

:(

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

ALL ABOARD!
    boatbus.jpg

My love and praise know no bounds to see it seaworthy and sailing on.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • SensationalSensational Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

Dallas is alright, but I needs that <30 ping. I need it so badly. I am the worst hpb.

LOL this statement goes well with another one you made about having high accuracy.

Sensational on
  • milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    That Brink boat-bus is amazingly good.

milk ducks on
  • Fantastication2Fantastication2 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

ALL ABOARD!
    boatbus.jpg

This is glorious.

Also, I get to cry while watching all you lucky non-EU/Oceania people play Brink for THREE DAYS before we get to play it.

It is the silliest of things and the saddest of things.

Fantastication2 on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited April 2011

ALL ABOARD!
    boatbus.jpg

This is glorious.

Also, I get to cry while watching all you lucky non-EU/Oceania people play Brink for THREE DAYS before we get to play it.

It is the silliest of things and the saddest of things.

It is always hard to read threads about games that are out in other regions, but not your own. I'll probably have to wait a couple of days beyond that, due to ordering a cheap retail couple and not getting as download or a local store. On the bright side, my preorder will apparently come with a bandana.

Peewi on
  • JorilJoril BelgiumRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011

PC.

KB+M, ingame console, wide FoV, all the good stuff.

Joril on
    bonesnacksig.jpg
    edited April 2011

1274343555.png

:(

3.19 down / 1.15 up grade D+ slower then 65% then the rest of the USA...and you wonder why I'm complaining about things every game, my connection could at least buy me dinner because I like to get wined and dined before I get FUCKED.

My net is worse then your net and I still pay double what you do a month for it....beeoot...er...damn it.
    Spoit wrote: »

About tree siddy

Well it was 25% off at D2D like last weekend

Unless Direct2Drive started selling XBOX360 games I think your making a moot point.
    milk ducks wrote: »
    That Brink boat-bus is amazingly good.

We've got "Boat-bus" things around here, we call them "Ducks" from WW2

3.jpg

iRevert on
    edited April 2011

LOL this statement goes well with another one you made about having high accuracy.

I can't help it. I am an awful hpb. And on top of that, I hate it.

But my lpb status comes with its own price: I am also awful with lan pings. I need that sweet spot of 20-35 ping. It is a curse.

Page- on
    stream
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Joril wrote: »

PC.

Are there any games where the console versions and PC version have different FoV by default? I don't know of any.

Peewi on
  • DomhnallDomhnall Minty D. Vision! ScotlandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hey, Tibbly! Want to complain about connections?

1274408907.png

Is OG getting this? I want to figure out whats the most point whoring class there is so I might be able to beat him. He's always ahead of me now. =(

Domhnall on
    Xbox Live - Minty D Vision
    Steam - Minty D. Vision!
    Origin/BF3 - MintyDVision
    edited April 2011
    Peewi wrote: »

PC.

Are there any games where the console versions and PC version have different FoV by default? I don't know of any.

Not sure there are any, but you can generally change the FoV on PC games, while you're stuck with whatever crappy FoV you get on consoles.

CarbonFire on
    edited April 2011
    Peewi wrote: »

PC.

I think the idea is that you'll be able to change the fov on pc.

I'd thought for a second that maybe you'd be able to switch gun sides, or remove the gun, like you can with some other games using the engine, and engines like it, but with iron sights that's probably impossible. And they'll probably cheat protect the fov range as well.

Page- on
    stream
  • Fantastication2Fantastication2 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If it's anything like ETQW in terms of FOV enforcement, there'll be an upper limit set by the server (I think the default for it was 100, but I might be wrong).

I liked that method.

Fantastication2 on
    edited April 2011
    Domhnall wrote: »

1274408907.png

Is OG getting this? I want to figure out whats the most point whoring class there is so I might be able to beat him. He's always ahead of me now. =(

Yeah I suppose that might beat me slightly
    1274428010.png

EDIT:

Then heres me connecting to mercy:

1274432748.png

and then normal but I've got a file uploading so its killing mah upstream
    1274435625.png
    Double ewe tee f

iRevert on
    edited April 2011
    It's not the upper limit you worry about, it's the lower limit.

The first game to really tackle this problem was Counter-Strike.

For the first few major versions it didn't really alter commands from the core Half-Life list, which had already been taken from Quake 2.

The most dangerous command they left in was fov, and letting people lower it as much as they liked, as you can in Quake games.

This effectively allowed people to bind fov keys, letting them snipe from across the map with pistols. It was as simple as having a key bound to fov 30, and another bound to your default fov. Pull out your desert eagle, hit fov 30, headshot kids from across the map. Who needs to spend money on expensive and cumbersome sniper rifles? Not only that, but switching fov directly let you aim without the scope effect they added later, making it easier to see what's going on, and the transition between the zoomed fov and the default was smoother and easier.

So, yeah, they patched that out as soon as people started to abuse it.

Page- on
    stream
  • dinoarusdinoarus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Domhnall wrote: »

1274408907.png

Nah unless I can find a way to murder 100 people in around 10 minutes I think you'll beat me at this.

e: are we really doing this again?

1274438017.png

Tibbly quit yer bitchin.

Minty can continue.

dinoarus on
    Steam/XBL: OGSTudbone
This discussion has been closed.