As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Frat Punch for grown ups

DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tieAhhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
edited May 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
My girlfriend and I are going to a party on Saturday and I was volunteered to make my famous sangria. The problem is, that there are going to be approximately 50 people at the party and that's a pretty annoying order.

Is there something that I can make that would be cheaper and/or less annoying than Sangria?

For reference, I was intending to bring something like this for serving:

Cairo-Glass-drink-dispenser-with-spout.jpg

I suppose I could soak the citrus, fish it out before we get to the party and set up a seperate garnish bar with fresh fruit, but I know bitches will be nom noming on the lychee.

Help me H/A, I don't want to spend $TEXAS, clog my cooler thingy, or be the party's bartender to make sure all the drinks are just right.

What are my options?

Deebaser on

• OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Is Everclear still legal? Serious question. That is the easiest way to make a large amount of fruit juice into an alcoholic drink.

I don't know the right proportions, but it was basically Everclear's only credible purpose.

OnTheLastCastle on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Bugjuice is your answer. If you're not doing it for a frat, just make it with a fruit vodka. Google around to see if people have good recipes.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • ChickeenChickeen Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Find someone with a lemon tree. Lemons, vodka, sugar. We used to call it Yucca. I have no idea why.

Chickeen on
  • ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2011
    I think everclear is legal in some states but not others, so look up the laws for your state.

Are you looking for something with low alcohol content and wide appeal that people can sit around and drink all evening with little problem, or something that has the potential to get people trashed?

ceres on
    And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Everclear is, in fact, legal in some states but not others. It is by far the cheapest way to make a large quantity of boozy drink.

Thanatos on
  • DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If your Sangria is indeed excellent you should make that (IMO). Is your recipe particularly expensive to make? Most sangria is so doctored that you don't have to use particularly good wine and the local spirits dealer here sells wine in Magnums or larger. My recipe uses brandy as the spirit and there's usually something that's reasonably priced, but not sold in plastic jugs. Mixable vodka can be had cheap and won't impart flavor.

I would premake a lot a day or two before and let steep in fridge. Wrap all the fruit in cheescloth so it's easy to fish out the vegetable matter. I'd also put a cheescloth or some kind of filter on the inside of the spigot of that container so it doesn't get clogged.

It's obviously going to be more expensive than making trashcan punch, but if it's the drink you easily make well I think you should try to make it.

Everclear knocks me the fuck out, not sure why as I'm reasonably sure I've imbibed more alcohol through spirits/wine/beer and not had that effect.

Djeet on
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    This is more of a classy party than a "WHOOOO LETS GET WRECKTARDED!!!" party. I'm thinking more cocktails that won't clog up the spout, and require constant mixing/attention.

While the tips above are greatly appreciated, price is really a secondary concern. The thread title is a bit misleading, I'm not really looking for "frat punch", just a moderately priced cocktail thing I can make in a huge batch for under $200.

Deebaser on
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Djeet wrote: »
    If your Sangria is indeed excellent you should make that (IMO). Is your recipe particularly expensive to make? Most sangria is so doctored that you don't have to use particularly good wine and the local spirits dealer here sells wine in Magnums or larger. My recipe uses brandy as the spirit and there's usually something that's reasonably priced, but not sold in plastic jugs. Mixable vodka can be had cheap and won't impart flavor.

Oh I use five liter bottles of Carlo Rossi, so the wine is as cheap as you can go without it tasting like grape flavored lighter fluid. The fruit really adds up though. I like to add rasberries and lychee.
    I would premake a lot a day or two before and let steep in fridge. Wrap all the fruit in cheescloth so it's easy to fish out the vegetable matter. I'd also put a cheescloth or some kind of filter on the inside of the spigot of that container so it doesn't get clogged.

This is the best idea. Thanks.

Deebaser on
  • oldsakoldsak Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    50 people is such a tall order if you're not going the jungle juice route.

I'm a big fan of the Jack Rose. My parents will make them in a big pitcher for our holiday party for convenience, but that's a much smaller party than 50 people. Apple Jack is the main ingredient, and it runs around $20 a bottle. It's a pretty potent cocktail but might be out of your price range.

I mean you're looking to spend $4/ person which is tough.

oldsak on
  • TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The best answer is to make the world's most giant screwdriver.

Or how about a Bloody Mary?

Terrendos on
  • DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Lychee and raspberries? Sounds nice. Forgot to add that if your recipe calls for adding carbonated ingredients you should hold off on that until you're ready to serve as it'll get flat if you add it and let it sit.

Djeet on
  • Akilae729Akilae729 Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Make some sort of "classy gin bucket"

Couple handles of gin, some grape fruit soda, a bunch of sliced citrus (lemons and limes), and maybe a tiny splash of grenadine so it turns pink instead of gin bucket gray.

Akilae729 on
    signaturebighe7.jpg
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Why don't you just stick with sangria? Juice and wine, throw some fruit in. You can get cheap boxed wine since it is a mixer anyway.

JebusUD on
    I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    You can make pretty competent bugjuice/jungle juice/etc with whatever high-proof clear liquor you can find. I use vodka if I can't get a handle of everclear for some reason.

I personally prefer to leave the fruit in, although that restricts you from using some of the more seeded or "fragmentary" fruits.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Are you the only one bringing drinks? If not, you don't have to make 50 servings.

Alternatively, supply small cups.

Skoal Cat on
  • Namel3ssNamel3ss Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Just get a nice punch bowl and fancy serving ladle.

The cooler won't work for sangria, because it's not for serving sangria.

Namel3ss on
    May the wombat of happiness snuffle through your underbrush.
    edited April 2011
    Namel3ss wrote: »
    Just get a nice punch bowl and fancy serving ladle.

The cooler won't work for sangria, because it's not for serving sangria.

Eh, I don't have a punch bowl, but I do have a bitchin' ladle.

At this point I'm thinking it'd probably be best to use the cheesecloth around the fruit while it soaks to prevent nastyiness but still allow the flavors to flow. After, I'll set a platter of fresh fruit for garnish.

The host will be providing small glasses and crushed ice.

Thoughts?

Here is the actual cooler.
    IMG_0057.jpg

Deebaser on
  • RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    If it's feasible, i'd say maybe make sure you make more than you think you need? It's better to have more to drink if you run out than to run out and have people wanting more.
    But if it's more a "classy party" maybe thats not a good idea...

RubberAC on
  • KirbithKirbith I appear to be made of delicious cake. Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    RubberAC wrote: »
    If it's feasible, i'd say maybe make sure you make more than you think you need? It's better to have more to drink if you run out than to run out and have people wanting more.
    But if it's more a "classy party" maybe thats not a good idea...

I would definitely echo this. Figure out how much you think you need, and well, you should probably make more than that. I guess judge it on how much you think each person will drink (maybe not that much since you said it's not really for people to get trashed), and take that times 50, maybe adding in a bit more just in case.

Also, side note, but I have that exact same textbook for one of my classes right now. :lol:

Kirbith on
    Backloggery | Steam - Kirbith | PSN - Kirbith | 3DS: 4957-2249-4817
  • CrossBusterCrossBuster Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    JebusUD wrote: »
    Why don't you just stick with sangria? Juice and wine, throw some fruit in. You can get cheap boxed wine since it is a mixer anyway.

Or go with Two Buck Chuck, if you have Trader Joe's in your area. Also, Whole Foods just introduced its own brand of "two dollars per bottle but surprisingly good" wine. How many bottles of wine would you need to make sangria for 50 people?

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
  • Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Its his fruit that ups the cost

Skoal Cat on
  • WileyWiley In the dirt.Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Not really a punch, but I was recently introduced to Iced Tea mixed with Tea flavored Vodka. If you like Iced Tea it is dangerous to drink.

Wiley on
    steam_sig.png
  • BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2011
    Rum and apple juice (cider, technically) is a really classic combo, although not very seasonal.

I'd also recommend cranberries, as they tend to mask the flavor of alcohol slightly, allowing you to use cheaper booze and causing the party to get just a bit more fun than any of the attendees planned.
    Blueberries are also supposed to be quite tasty.

Bagginses on
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Skoal Cat wrote: »
    Its his fruit that ups the cost

Then skip the fruit. Alcohol juice will be fine.

JebusUD on
    I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    I know it's not exactly for the OP (it costs quite a bit to make), but Fish House Punch is freaking amazing for social events:
    1 1/2 cups superfine sugar
    2 quarts water
    1 quart lemon juice
    2 quarts dark rum
    1 quart cognac
    4 ounces peach brandy

Glass Type: punch cup
    Instructions

There are many recipes for Fish House Punch, but this one has the best balance of authority and deliciousness.

In a large bowl, first dissolve the sugar in enough of the water to do the trick, then incorporate the lemon juice. Next, add the spirits and the rest of the water -- or as much of it as you wish to contribute (less in summer, to allow for meltage). Slip in as large a block of ice as you can procure. (Use your imagination -- if worse comes to worst, a mixing bowl full of water that's been frozen overnight will do the trick; run a little hot water on the outside of the bowl to unmold.) Let stand in a cool place for an hour or so before serving. Do not garnish with fruit, herb, vegetable, or paper umbrella.

http://www.esquire.com/drinks/fish-house-punch-drink-recipe

As you can see from the ingredients, it'll mess you up if you're not careful.

Doc on
  • AvynteAvynte Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    That's a ridiculously small pitcher if you're planning on serving 50 people. Unless it's just going to be for serving and you'll have extra stored in a cooler in gallon jugs or something.

Still, I'd recommend going with your personal recipe that you were recommended on. That's what the people were promised, and that's what should be delivered, especially if you're good at it!

If not, i'd go down the everclear path that was already mentioned. You can get a lot of alcohol (drunkeness) for a cheap price, and then water it down with various flavors from there.

Avynte on
    ECOED.jpg