As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ask Whippy (Or ANYBODY) Thread Mark XVIII

• Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    dont mind him Virral, matt has a hard-on for the SHRA and jumps to defend its existence and every implementation at any oporrtunity, despite the fact thats it clearly being written company-wide (particularly in The Initiative) as completley corrupt in practice.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Which is pretty unfortunate because, given sane people writing and implementing such a law, it's not a bad idea. The roughshod, ham-fisted way it was rammed through congress to become law...

Wait. Wait a fucking second. I'm seriously not going to start that fucking debate again. God damn it, matt :roll:

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Bloods End wrote: »
    Has there been artist that manage to do more then one series a month? I know Kirby probably did it, but have there been any recently?

Bloods End on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Just when I thought this Civil War crap could not get anymore stupid and ham-fisted, I read something about all of this Initiative crap.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I know Fred Perry does Gold Digger every month without fail, and also took up monthlies like Ninja HS or one of his other limited series at the same time. But never for more than a few months.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    So.... everyone else wants a Bob, Agent of HYDRA spin-off too, right?

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Just when I thought this Civil War crap could not get anymore stupid and ham-fisted, I read something about all of this Initiative crap.

Which is actually pretty good.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I've been wondering this lately: How do super heroes, and more importantly evil organizations like HYDRA, get such nice looking uniforms? There are super healers and discreet doctors and the like, and I can understand a few of the heroes making their own costumes, but how does an Evil Organization get all their equipment?

Do they hire their own group of tailors so that the uniforms fit so well, or is there a company you can order them from? The question has been troubling me lately.

Yes, I have that kind of time.

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Quite a few comics(Deadpool and Invincible are two) have mentioned "Super-Tailors" that design/make costumes for heroes/villains for a living.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Yeah, there was something along those lines in Amazing Spider-man recently, a tailor who had different days set aside for heros and villains so they didn't bump into each other and start fights. And when I say recently... I probably mean years ago.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2007
    Balefuego wrote: »
    I am fairly certain Wolverine has never been depowered.

He was depowered during the very first Genosha storyline. He and Rogue were kidnapped, depowered and forced to wear unfashionable jumpsuits. He wasn't immobilized by the several hundreds pounds of Adamantium, but he wasn't in great shape.
    Bloods End wrote: »
    Has there been artist that manage to do more then one series a month? I know Kirby probably did it, but have there been any recently?

JR JR and Mark Bagley come pretty close. JR JR is famously fast (maybe not 2 books a month fast, but definitely 18 a year) and Ultimate Spider-Man seemed to ship a lot more than 12 issues a year. Igor Kordey is probably the only guy I can think of who recently turned in more than one book a month regularly (though the workload began to show quite quickly).

Bogart on
  • Options
    ReignerReigner Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Dear Whippy (or anybody)

So, I've just recently started getting back into comics. I was curious as to what happened to the comic industry making the really fancy (I think they were called Chromium) covers. I always enjoyed getting books like X-men Alpha/Omega/Prime and just staring at the shiny cover for hours. Heck I think I have some Spider-man Holographic Covers floating around here as well.

Were they just not popular, not worth the money to make them, or what?

Reigner on
    Exodus Server: Venstra Rei
    FFBE: 838,975,107
    Dokkan: 1668363315
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2007
    Reigner wrote: »
    Dear Whippy (or anybody)

So, I've just recently started getting back into comics. I was curious as to what happened to the comic industry making the really fancy (I think they were called Chromium) covers. I always enjoyed getting books like X-men Alpha/Omega/Prime and just staring at the shiny cover for hours. Heck I think I have some Spider-man Holographic Covers floating around here as well.

they were cheap attempts at trying to save the dying industry by making "special" covers that cost more

also they were totally 90s and we all know how bad they were.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Dear Whippy (or anybody)

They sort of almost caused the death of the industry.

so yeah....

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Dear Whippy (or anybody)

Oh my.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    dont mind him Virral, matt has a hard-on for the SHRA and jumps to defend its existence and every implementation at any oporrtunity, despite the fact thats it clearly being written company-wide (particularly in The Initiative) as completley corrupt in practice.

I don't see where I posted anything about SHRA here. I just responded to a question about whether people would be depowered, etc.

Prove me wrong. You know, or apologize for making this an issue when it in fact isn't.

mattharvest on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Virral wrote: »
    As a separate point: the removal of weapons, etc. from wash-outs in the Initiative is because they're lacking in training. In other words, if you fail in your licensing, you lose your stuff. Wolverine is already licensed (i.e. he's trained enough to be able to actively superhero), so they wouldn't take his gear. They'd just imprison him.

That doesn't make sense. If they feel justified in imprisoning him, of course they are going to do what it takes to neutralise his abilities. She-hulk was also fully "trained" etc and as far as I know that didn't stop them from taking away her powers. Hell, wasn't she just basically an illegal human trial for an experimental procedure they wanted to try out on the Hulk? And that was someone who up until then had been working WITH them, how are they going to treat the rebels?
    I think I was unclear.

What I meant was this: if you're operating without training (i.e. license), and they catch you, they take away any gear (e.g. that girl's gun-arm) and apparently they just boot you back onto the street. If they can't take your gear - e.g. if your "gear" is part of you inextricably like Wolverine's skeleton - it stands to reason (albeit hasn't been confirmed explicitly) that you get imprisoned until you're willing to be licensed, since they can't leave you on the streets without submitting to SHRA/SHIELD.

I didn't mean to say (but I may have erroneously implied this) that they'd only use inhibitors on unlicensed vigilantes. I meant to say that inhibitors would be used to disable a vigilante, and if then separately they'd either be imprisoned (if their gear is inextricable) or kicked on the street (if their gear can be removed).
    I know you are talking specifically about equipment, but whats the real difference between removing someones natural powers and removing someones technological powers? If they considered Wolverine a danger AND managed to capture him, based on how they have been acting up until now he would end up spayed and de-clawed without a doubt.
    Well, I think you're getting a bit afield here, since we don't really know the difference between how the powers work. The main salient difference (I think, anyway) is that someone's natural powers probably can't be removed, just rendered inoperable, while technological powers could probably be removed (e.g. taking Stark's armor). The whole line is pretty blurry though, and I think it'd be nice to get a more clear statement from the writers/editors.

mattharvest on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Dear Whippy (or anybody)

They'll come back.

You just wait a bit.

When they do, you jump all over them, sir.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I have a "Chromium" Generation X #1.

I remember insisting on it when I was a kid because it looked cooler than the regular edition. I don't know what comics were generally running at the time, but it was $3.50 or so, which is of course more than most comics are now.

In conclusion, kids are stupid.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I too have that version of Generation X, and like the first 40 or so issues of the series.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The problem was that they didn't take it far enough. Every single page should have been chromium.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The problem was that they didn't take it far enough. Every single page should have been chromium.

The papercuts would sever hands.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited June 2007
    Is Superman/Batman any good now?

I picked up a couple issues from like August to October of last year but don't remember any of it and I see that it's getting a new writer

edit: other than the annual

the annual was brilliant

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited June 2007

I don't see where I posted anything about SHRA here. I just responded to a question about whether people would be depowered, etc.

Prove me wrong. You know, or apologize for making this an issue when it in fact isn't.

You were specifically talking about how they handle people that wash out of the superhero "training" as opposed to people who defy the new law which... you know... is called SHRA. Just because you didn't use the magic letters didn't mean you weren't talking about it. You even confirm it in your next post (see bold):
    What I meant was this: if you're operating without training (i.e. license), and they catch you, they take away any gear (e.g. that girl's gun-arm) and apparently they just boot you back onto the street. If they can't take your gear - e.g. if your "gear" is part of you inextricably like Wolverine's skeleton - it stands to reason (albeit hasn't been confirmed explicitly) that you get imprisoned until you're willing to be licensed, since they can't leave you on the streets without submitting to SHRA/SHIELD.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I think its clear that the cannibalizing of the powers of The Initiative washouts has more to do with A. powers that can in fact be cannibilized, because not all of them can I would think. And B. That these are all a bunch of C-list kids who no one really knows/no one will notice if they disapear and someone else shows up with thier powers.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Generation X was so good. So good.

<3 Bachalo

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Keith wrote: »
    Is Superman/Batman any good now?

I picked up a couple issues from like August to October of last year but don't remember any of it and I see that it's getting a new writer

edit: other than the annual

the annual was brilliant

I have a big box of those I haven't went through yet. I'll do so and let you know.

(God, and I should it's been a while since I received it.)

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Reynolds wrote: »

<3 Bachalo

Did he get his hand run over by a steamroller or some shit after he drew that stuff?

Because I got back into Marvel with New X-Men and his art suddenly looked like shit. Maybe it's Marvel's horrifying inking and coloring.

august on
  • Options
    DharmaBumDharmaBum Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Does anyone know of a good site for the 52 covers? I wanna use them as desktop backgrounds. The one gallery that I found has them at a bigger resolution than my screen.

DharmaBum on
  • Options
    KumaKuma Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    DharmaBum wrote: »
    Does anyone know of a good site for the 52 covers? I wanna use them as desktop backgrounds. The one gallery that I found has them at a bigger resolution than my screen.
    i remember someone posting them over at 4chan a while back, you could always ask there

Kuma on
    f7v9h.jpg
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Kuma wrote: »
    i remember someone posting them over at 4chan a while back, you could always ask there

But that would mean he'd have to look at 4chan.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Kuma wrote: »

But that would mean he'd have to look at 4chan.

lurk moar!

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    august wrote: »
    Reynolds wrote: »

<3 Bachalo

Did he get his hand run over by a steamroller or some shit after he drew that stuff?

Because I got back into Marvel with New X-Men and his art suddenly looked like shit. Maybe it's Marvel's horrifying inking and coloring.

I didn't catch that. But he just came back to one X-Men book, and it was pretty good. Except, one issue in the middle was drawn by some random fucker. I got home and started reading, and soon flew into a murderous rage, thinking they had tricked me and he was just doing the covers.

I mean, I'm not going to read the shitty new X-Men comics unless there's someone I like working on it, or Nightcrawler and Kitty go on a magical pirate adventure or something.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Bogart wrote: »
    I am fairly certain Wolverine has never been depowered.

He was depowered during the very first Genosha storyline. He and Rogue were kidnapped, depowered and forced to wear unfashionable jumpsuits. He wasn't immobilized by the several hundreds pounds of Adamantium, but he wasn't in great shape.

He can still move with his adamantium because his body super healed enough muscle to carry it when it was first installed. That muscle isn't part of his powers.

Also if it was "possible" to have a steel skeleton you'd die, bone is permeable and allows the red blood cells to be replaced. If you had an full skeleton (like wolverine) you'd die in about 2 weeks from aphyxiation. For it to be done to a normal person you'd probably have to have a latice structure around your bones rather than solid.

This can all be justified by saying wolverine doesn't need blood cells or some shit because of his mutant healing factor.

Blake T on
  • Options
    Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Well, presumably if his healing factor can replace entire organs and such, it can replace friggin blood cells.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2007
    Wolverine doesn't have an adamantium skeleton. He has a normal skeleton that's bonded/laced with Adamantium. If this wasn't the case when Mags ripped his adamantium out he would've turned into a fleshy puddle.

It's still unbreakable, but they didn't take his bones out and replace them with adamantium ones. They just augmented his bones to the extent his healing factor allowed.

Bogart on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    So I picked up Thor: Blood Oath a few weeks ago and verily hast it whet my appetite for more tales of the Odinson, mayhap even with the Warriors Three. Which other trades should I be looking for?

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    True, but completely coating the bones with metal would have the same impact.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2007

You were specifically talking about how they handle people that wash out of the superhero "training" as opposed to people who defy the new law which... you know... is called SHRA. Just because you didn't use the magic letters didn't mean you weren't talking about it. You even confirm it in your next post (see bold):

Okay, you accused me of DEFENDING SHRA, when I didn't do so at all. I just explicated what has been put out in the comics.

Obviously, I was challenging you to show where I was DEFENDING SHRA, but instead you just pointed out where I talked ABOUT SHRA (which was necessary, since someone asked a question ABOUT SHRA).

Seriously, why do you feel the need to make discussions personal and insulting - accusing me of irrationally defending an unjust law - when they're just civil without such comments?

mattharvest on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    True, but completely coating the bones with metal would have the same impact.

This is basically true in Marvel, as presented: remember how when his skeleton was removed, Wolverine's entire power-set went extreme (after a brief period of being unable to heal at all)? The explanation was that his healing factor is actually even greater than anyone had realized, but a huge chunk of its power went to keeping him just ALIVE with the Adamantium coating on his bones.

Of course, now that we've been shown Wolverine regenerating insanely from a fleshless metal-coated skeleton, I don't know what it means to say his healing factor is somehow 'amped-down' right now...

mattharvest on
This discussion has been closed.