As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[League of Legends] League of [Redacted]'s Bad Opinions

SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in Games and Technology
Rent wrote: »
DON"T LISTEN TO ME I AM TERRIBLE AT THIS GAME HOLY SHIT
So that's what having no idea what you are talking about looks like
Galio's like p[retty?][hilosophically?][eriodically?] good now
I even held my 1v2 lane against ashe and morde for a good like 15 minutes before my tower went down

PICS OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN NOOB
guardsman bob is kind of a dick from what little i've seen him play

also his music is fucking terrible

HIS MUSIC

IS FUCKING

TERRIBLE

ffffffff.gif

Singed.jpg

From here on, this will be your theme song! You must listen to it every time you play, or Singed will come to your house and kill your family.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGKN1Adzckk

League of Legends
Think of it as an RTS where you only control one hero: Singed. You have your pick of poisoning your enemies to death, flinging them into your allies, or slowing them down so they can't run from the waves of awesome emanating from your rotting flesh. Your aim is to [strike]destroy the enemy's HQ and intervening towers[/strike] run around poisoning your enemies, waving your hands in the air like you just don't care. The AI sends out waves of minions to act as [strike]cannon fodder[/strike] test subjects and will give you delicious gold when killed, which is used to buy items and customise your champion in all manner of ways.
It's free to play; but Singed is unlocked with the tears of your enemies.

Get on ventrilo if you want to play games with fellow PA'ers. The details are in the stickied vent thread. We are more than happy to give advice and play games no matter how new you are.

Alternatively you can*join the PA chat room.Click the chat rooms panel in the bottom right, click the speech bubble with a plus next to it, type in Penny Arcade. when the window opens, click the gear in the top right of the window and check the box "Autojoin on Startup."

THE BUSY-BUSTER CODES - USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
When you've got the client open, type

"Left, Right, Left, Right, Down, Down, Up, Up, 3 then 4"

Alternatively

"CTRL+L --> [ javascript:setServerStatus(1) ]"

Again, use them at your own risk.

Last but not least, here is some information which may or may not be a Bad Opinion, courtesy of Rent:
Question: Do items of the same type have bonuses that additively stack?
Yes, with some notable exceptions:

1. The bonus is a "UNIQUE" bonus. For instance, the passive effect from Infinity Edge- Critical hits now deal 250% damage instead of 200% damage- does NOT stack. So if you somehow got the ~8k gold necessary to farm up two Infinity Edges, you would not have Critical hits deal 300% damage, they'd only deal 250% damage. However, you would still have the +160 Attack Damage and +50% Crit Strike that both Infinity Edges give.

2. A "UNIQUE" bonus that's transfered from an item with its own "UNIQUE" bonus. (this to my knowledge only applies to Manamune/Archangel Staff.

The Manamune and Archangel Staff are two items that are based off the same "base" item, the Tear of the Goddess. The Tear of the Goddess has a unique passive wherein it gives +4 mana each time an ability is used, and both the Manamune and Archangel Staff keep that passive. However, if you were to build both a Archangel Staff AND a Manamune, you would not gain +8 mana per ability used- the abilites are considered UNIQUE even though they're different items, because they're both built out of the Tear of the Goddess, which is similar to itself (obviously).

3. Items with slow effects only take the "highest" slow when computing your slow percentage. This to my knowledge only affects Phage/Trinity Force/Frozen Mallet (ed: this also applies to Bilgewalter Cutlass/Hextech Gunblade and Warden's Mail/Randuin's Omen). When an item with a slow percentage is built, if it builds into another item which also slows, and you have both items, only the item with the "highest" slow is considered the active slow. In other words, Phage has a 25% chance to slow for 30% for 3 seconds; it builds into Frozen Mallet, which has a 40% slow for 2.5 seconds; the Phage also builds into Trinity Force, which has a 25% chance to slow for 35% for 2.5 seconds. If you had all 3 items in your inventory, and were lucky enough to proc all three items on one hit, it would only take the "Frozen Mallet" slow as the "true" slow and slow the target only for 40% for 2.5 seconds (I'm not absolutely sure that's how Frozen Mallet and TriForce interact but am positive that's how Phage and TriForce and Phage and FM interact so I might be wrong)

4. Unique Auras are Unique and only apply to a champ once. So for instance, if I had an abyssal scepter it would apply it's -20 magic resist debuff to every enemy champ near it. Unique Auras do not stack, so getting any other abyssals on any other teammates would be a waste of gold.

HOWEVER, IN THE CASE OF POSITIVE AURAS: Positive Auras affect your own team with their positive effects, and also do not stack. However, the "holder" of the aura item, whilst getting the buff themselves from the aura item, are not COUNTED as receiving the aura item for the purposes of determining uniqueness. This means that for AURA ITEM HOLDERS ONLY, they can "double stack" aura items with a teammate.

Example 1:

Me (Rent), AhiMahi, and Minerva are on a team together. I decide to get an Aegis of the Legion (+270 Health
+18 Armor
+24 Magic Resistance
UNIQUE Aura: +12 Armor, +15 Magic Resist and +8 Attack Damage to nearby allied units. (1200 range)). I DO get the benefits of the Aura from my Aegis, so I effectively have 270 Health, 30 Armor, 39 MR, and 8 AD from the Aegis. AhiMahi and Minerva receive +12 Armor, +15 MR and +8 AD from my Aegis Buff when near me.

Example 2:

Me (Rent), AhiMahi, and Minerva are on a team together. Minerva AND I decide to get an Aegis of the Legion.

We BOTH get the passive Aegis Aura benefits, in ADDITION to our own unique Aura benefits. HOWEVER, we ALSO get the OTHER'S aura benefit from their Aegis because our own Aura item is not counted as unique for the purposes of "UNIQUE" aura calculation. So, in other words, when AhiMahi, Minerva and I are next to each other, Minerva and I both have the +12 Armor, +15 MR, and +8 AD Aura buff (for an effective +24 Armor, +30 MR, and +16 AD buff), whilst AhiMAhi only receives it once (for +12 Armor, +15 MR, and +8 AD)

Example 3:

Me (Rent), AhiMahi, and Minerva are on a team together. All three of us decide to get an Aegis of the Legion.

All three of us receive the passive Aegis Aura benefits, in addition to ONE AND ONLY ONE OTHER PERSON'S unique Aura benefits. (Think like, Rent gets the buff from both himself and AhiMahi, but not Minerva's. Ahi gets it from himself and Minerva, but not Rent's, and Minerva gets it from both himself and Rent, but not Ahi's.) This means all three of us have +24 Armor, +30 MR, and +16 AD when grouped together.

ED : forgot these, adding for completeness
5. Attack Speed stacks additively and caps at 2.5 attacks per second. This takes into effect any runes, masteries, buffs, abilities or Items you might have to hit that cap and any over it has no effect.

6. Tenacity's bonuses are unique in that it only counts the highest Tenacity bonus (but, since the three items besides Mercury Treads (Cloak and Dagger, Eleisa's Miracle, Moonflair Spellblade) all have the same Tenacity bonus of +25, this in effect means that the highest Tenacity you CAN have is +35, and that is from Mercury Treads.)

7. CDR's bonuses cap at 40% CDR. This takes into effect any runes, masteries, buffs, abilities or items you might have to hit that cap and any over it has no effect.

And i think that covers how unique buffs work goddamn that's a lot of words

Steam: Spawnbroker
Spawnbroker on

• Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm going to play ranked now. Your excellent OP made it clear there's only one choice for who I'm going to play.

Kristmas Kthulhu on
  • FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Someone told me that there are people who don't like pink sunglasses this isn't true is it : (

Frosteey on
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Stupid Taric

lulling me into complacency.

Xaquin on
  • Lawful EvilLawful Evil Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I seem to have trouble running with Taric. I play him for the sole reason so I can scream "YOU ARE NOW DIAMONDS" everytime I (accidentally) get a kill.

But it seems the OP leaves only one choice. Time to play with that video on loop.

Lawful Evil on
    Do not believe that the impossible exists. That is why you fail.
  • zerg rushzerg rush Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Mmmmmm, new thread smell.

Any word if Rumble is getting messed with this week? Or should I continue looking forward to almost having enough IP for him?

Custom Special on
    XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
    edited May 2011
    I seem to have trouble running with Taric. I play him for the sole reason so I can scream "YOU ARE NOW DIAMONDS" everytime I (accidentally) get a kill.

But it seems the OP leaves only one choice. Time to play with that video on loop.

I think my problem is I've always gone against horrible Tarics. Last night was an eye opener to say the least.

Xaquin on
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ah man, trying to play singed is a totally different playstyle than I'm used to. I need more practice running around not giving a fuck

initiatefailure on
    edited May 2011
    Ah man, trying to play singed is a totally different playstyle than I'm used to. I need more practice running around not giving a fuck

aahhh like Amumu when you could stack Sunfires

Xaquin on
  • ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Still not exactly sure why they made Alistair unstoppable.

Elementalor on
    Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
  • RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Xaquin wrote: »

I wish they would bring back the stacking.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • VaregaVarega Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Still not exactly sure why they made Alistair unstoppable.

I love alistar now. He's a ton of fun!

Varega on
    League of Legends:Varega
  • nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    is it just me or is his pulverize range tinier despite them increasing it

they increased it right? from 330 to 365 or something? i always miss with it, overestimating the distance

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Happens to me too, neal. Whenever someone's running away when I pulverize, they always seem to be out of range despite me being pretty much right next to them.

Kristmas Kthulhu on
    edited May 2011
    it seemed so easy pre-patch, now it seems impossible to land one chasing somebody unless you flash ahead of them

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    While we're on the subject of new Alistar, how does one go about using him effectively

laning or jungling whatever works, I'd just like a few pointers

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Singe all day, Singe all night.

Shade on
  • FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ryadic wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »

I wish they would bring back the stacking.

stacking sunfires was for newbs. sunfire/abyssal was always better.
    i still got 2 if there wasn't much magic damage :winky:

Feldorn on
  • zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Naphtali wrote: »
    While we're on the subject of new Alistar, how does one go about using him effectively

laning or jungling whatever works, I'd just like a few pointers

Lock alistar, build whatever because you don't need items, don't kill a single creep, because if you don't need items you don't need gold. Walk around the map and be a dick to the solo laners and the jungle.
    Team fight starts whenever you say so and nobody is getting to your carries.
    Oh yeah, you also do a sunfire cape's worth of AOE damage, you know, you were "weak".

Edit: Sry, I was exagerating. Buy an early oracles and wards. Those are the two items you need.

zeeny on
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I just had a ranked game where I was forced to not play Singed because the opposing team first-picked him. So I picked Cho'gath and made it my mission to NOM Singed to death every time he got low.

Spawnbroker on
  • UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I wish there were more champions like singed. Every other new champion that comes out now seems to be some variant of Irelia

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • PriestPriest Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So I totally knew this question would get lost if I put it on the 100th page of the last thread, so I'll ask it hear:

What is Smartcasting.
    How do I smartcast.
    What are the benefits of Smartcasting.
    How do I not smartcast onto minions.

Priest on
    edited May 2011
    use your forehead to hit QWER

the smartest casting

just kiddin i think by default it is alt + Q W E R? i changed mine to ctrl + Q W E R

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
    edited May 2011
    Priest wrote: »
    So I totally knew this question would get lost if I put it on the 100th page of the last thread, so I'll ask it hear:

What is Smartcasting.
    How do I smartcast.

Smartcasting is where instead of having to click on an enemy or location to activate your spell, you automatically cast it to whatever is under your cursor when you press the button. It's best for things like targeted skill shots (most famously Morgana's root) and some other abilities, like Mundo's cleaver.

You can go into Key Bindings when the match starts and change your abilities to be smart casted when you press QWER instead of normal, but I don't recommend doing it for all abilities. Only for certain skills, like Brand's stun, Morgana's root, every ability on Ezreal, etc.

Spawnbroker on
    edited May 2011

What is Smartcasting.
    How do I smartcast.

Smartcasting is where instead of having to click on an enemy or location to activate your spell, you automatically cast it to whatever is under your cursor when you press the button. It's best for things like targeted skill shots (most famously Morgana's root) and some other abilities, like Mundo's cleaver.

You can go into Key Bindings when the match starts and change your abilities to be smart casted when you press QWER instead of normal, but I don't recommend doing it for all abilities. Only for certain skills, like Brand's stun, Morgana's root, every ability on Ezreal, etc.

Thanks. Though my forseeable problems with this are such:

A: My fingers don't bend that way. I could maybe manage a Ctrl - E or R, but anything else would require a complete repositioning of the wrist, which defeats the entire purpose of Smartcasting in the first place I guess.

B: For whatever reason, I am horrific at cursor placement. I seriously can't find that little red sword ever, often times I get stomped in a team fight because I can't find the cursor. Please, please dear riot, make the cursor obnoxiously obvious!

Priest on
    edited May 2011
    A: My fingers don't bend that way. I could maybe manage a Ctrl - E or R, but anything else would require a complete repositioning of the wrist, which defeats the entire purpose of Smartcasting in the first place I guess.

Don't use Ctrl + ? for smartcasting, change it to just the normal buttons for that skill before the game starts. When I play Morgana, I set the smartcasted Dark Binding to Q, and normal casting of Dark Binding to Ctrl + Q.

Spawnbroker on
    edited May 2011
    i don't like the idea of making a button always smartcast even if you change it to be character specific

i just feel like each situation is different so you shouldn't

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • IncognitoEsqIncognitoEsq TexasRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm pretty sure you just have to hold down shift to smartcast by default. I always thought that shift was easier to hit than ctrl or alt either way

IncognitoEsq on
  • zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I have Shift + q/w/r smart cast and Shift + E self cast. Because all the shit that I want on myself and can save my life is on E.

zeeny on
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I set my smart cast abilities to mouse buttons.

Leaves qwer still available for regular casting.

DemonStacey on
  • InsanityInsanity Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I find on champs with a flash/dash/etc built in, putting it on middle click massively improves my mobility.
    It's great for skillshots too, my Blitzcrank hooks started landing way more often as soon as I switched.

Insanity on
    gBpkw.jpg
  • KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Wooo killing buildings as jax don't even care that I'm tanking the tower and an entire creep wave because my gunblade is healing me every time I stun all dem creeps

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    new launcher
    replays soon
    soiled myself

Jars on
    edited May 2011
    Jars wrote: »
    new launcher
    replays soon
    soiled myself

I might be pleased if Riot hadn't taken Blizzard's "Soon(TM)" to an entirely new level.

Priest on
  • VampireCactusVampireCactus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So is Jax worth playing at all right now? I decided to give him a shot. He's fun, but...wow, am I terrible. I literally have to jump into the fray to do anything, but I find that every time I jump in, I end up with less health than the people I jump in on. The problem is mostly early game, I suppose (haven't really made it to late game with him). Is there anything I can do, or is it just not worth it to play him?

VampireCactus on
  • FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    nice, i hope they got rid of air. i think that might be the 'technical' blocker.
    So is Jax worth playing at all right now? I decided to give him a shot. He's fun, but...wow, am I terrible. I literally have to jump into the fray to do anything, but I find that every time I jump in, I end up with less health than the people I jump in on. The problem is mostly early game, I suppose (haven't really made it to late game with him). Is there anything I can do, or is it just not worth it to play him?

yes, he is fairly well balanced, but doesn't really shine. level leap first, get 1 in empower then max counter, imo. he gets attacks speed from his ult passive, but he takes time to ramp, which is the problem with him, if you could instantly have 10 stacks on ult active, it would make him way better. get boots (tabi, merc if there are lots of stuns), then rush gunblade. you gotta be careful early, you can harass with leap, but ranged can probably out harass you. lots of dodge helps, but isn't required.

i had a jax at endgame be unkillable with tabi, gunblade, rageblade, starks. we suddenly couldn't stop him, he was healing for 100+ every melee swing, even after stuns, he could come back with what little support his team was providing.

Feldorn on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Jars wrote: »
    new launcher
    replays soon
    soiled myself

It's taking forever to install. I wanted to get one quick game in during a break. Pffft.

emnmnme on
  • unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    oh neat, the new patcher is just a gigantic adspace

unintentional on
  • rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    Jax is so much fun and is so under appreciated. He can also rape if fed early game, which is what he excels in.

This is what Lee Sin also is great at.

These are the only 2 reasons I need to play these 2 champions.

Anyone else can FRIG OFF! :x

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Jax can beat any character of the same level in a 1 on 1 skirmish.

emnmnme on