As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Prime 2011 BYOC Info/FAQ - SOLD OUT!

• Options
    Cerrato0426Cerrato0426 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    A couple years ago Paypal decided one of my Ebay sales was "suspicious" and put my account on hold for 6 months. The time came and went and they finally decided I had done nothing wrong. I was able to get my money back from them but my debit card and checking account were forever locked.

Anyways using Paypal is a huge hassle for me now. I was frantically searching for a way to buy my passes today. Finally got everything figured out. 6 BYOC passes paid for. Happy.

/end storytime

Cerrato0426 on
  • Options
    WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

Buy your son a BYOC badge! Have him game on a small netbook or something. It's not like you're worried about profanity or something, he's already going to PAX :P

Done! He has my old laptop already, and I think having the option to go sit in BYOC and chill whenever is worth it to me.

I'm so easily swayed. :P

WuShock on
    Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    Qs23Qs23 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    And I just put the remaining seats under 40...

BigRed, my Waldo pony is going to be sad that there isn't going to be a Odlaw pony joining him this year...

Qs23 on
    PASig.gif
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2011
    ok, *now* 25 passes left (*grumbles about not being able to count*)

zerzhul on
  • Options
    AlphonsisAlphonsis Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    must camp this thread until group reg hits...

Alphonsis on
    vhkbviT.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    If you have registered but not paid, you better get on that. It's the first 350 (edit: upped from 275) PAID, not just the first registered.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular
    edited May 2011
    Heads up, we've beefed up the seating from 275 to 350. Hopefully byoc will last 24 hours now.

David Coffman on
  • Options
    tektek meh... WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Heads up, we've beefed up the seating from 275 to 350. Hopefully byoc will last 24 hours now.

This is win. Thanks Dave.

tek on
  • Options
    GoogalashGoogalash Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Woot <3 you Dave

Googalash on
  • Options
    SnickersSnickers Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

Dave is the BEST! <3

Snickers on
    <@frellnik&gt; and suddenly, Snickers
  • Options
    ValanderValander Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    bitterfun wrote: »
    You know you have a friend when he calls you on your vacation (currently in Kauai) and lets you know the PAX PRIME BYOC registration is up. I don't get back for another couple of days would have surely missed the chance to show off my new casemod.

THANKS VALANDER!

Yup. You know the sad thing? Martin, who is like not doing anything, didn't get the message and is now scrambling to get a pass this morning... And he's even following the twitter feed and stuff. ;)

ROCK LOBSTAH!

Valander on
    D.
  • Options
    alegriaalegria Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Okay, a couple of things.

1) The PAX forums are consistently offline when I try to check them. PAX_BYOC is no longer the twitter name. And no email even when I've selected the option to be informed of BYOC tickets going onsale. This makes it VERY DIFFICULT to get a pass!!!

2) Putting BYOC reg live on a Friday afternoon really sucks. I was out of the country already for the weekend.

3) Can you please, please announce WHEN reg will be live with a few days notice? Not just "HAY GUYS ITS LIVE NAO"? The aforementioned forum issues (I couldn't get onto the PAX forums at all yesterday) and lack of email/etc make it very unfair.

Luckily I have my ticket. Luckily the damn forums came up today. Please, please consider these issues for next year. THis will be my fifth BYOC - and I almost didn't get a ticket.

(edit)
    Okay, now that I can read the rest of the thread, I see that ticket sales went live yesterday afternoon so I rescind that part of my complaint. All I saw was the first post on April 29th with the link which sent me into panic mode.

I would really appreciate an option for an email notification for those who have previously attended BYOC. Please consider this for the future.

alegria on
    Rw4xnu6.png
    PAX Prime Attendee since 2006, BYOC Attendee 2008-2012, Buttoneer 2010-2014
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/alegria
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    alegria wrote: »
    Okay, a couple of things.

1) The PAX forums are consistently offline when I try to check them. PAX_BYOC is no longer the twitter name.

FYI the twitter account is now prime_byoc though you should still get the updates as it was a name change not a new account.

Googalash on
  • Options
    David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular
    edited May 2011
    Official_PAX is also a good twitter feed to follow for such news.

David Coffman on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    PAX_BYOC is no longer the twitter name.
    @Prime_BYOC is the twitter name. It's in the OP. It was changed from PAX_BYOC to Prime_BYOC (and a new account, East_BYOC was created), so if you were already following PAX_BYOC you would have had the same updates.

ref: https://twitter.com/#!/Prime_BYOC/status/31486565662326784

In additon, it is known that the forums have issues but they haven't been "down" there are just small spurts of time when they are overwhelmed with traffic due to the broken servers. Usually within a few minutes you can get back to them if you get the "server busy" message.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I only check twitter around PAX time and today I tried searching for several varieties of the BYOC account on twitter.com and couldn't get it to pop. PAX_BYOC was the only success and it brought up someone else's tweet that they were about sold out already which freaked me out big time.

Someone else has mentioned being on vacation too, and nearly missing out on a ticket. I think that everyone should have a fair shot to get tickets for BYOC, so the ticket sale start needs to be announced in advance. I check the forums at least every two days starting in March - that should be enough to let me get a ticket, for pete's sake. There are a lot of BYOC people who come every year, surely it can't be that hard to reward them with a simple email list notification instead of relying on unstable forums and twitter?

(edit)
    zerzhul: The forums barely managed to load the first page of this thread where I got the link for reg and ran. It's taken me at least ten minutes to get the forum to pop at any given time, with the consistent "server busy" messages. Perhaps I'm just lucky and picking just the wrong times to try and check the forum, but I'm not giving up instantaneously either.

alegria on
    Rw4xnu6.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    The forums are unstable, for sure, but that's why all PAX updates happen via twitter.

Twitter is pretty stable, and has been used for BYOC updates for a fair amount of time now. If you had already been following the PAX_BYOC account you would have gotten the Prime_BYOC notification because when a twitter user changes its username, it auto-updates to all followers.

Twitter is faster and easier than email. The nice thing about the twitter account is that users maintain their own subscription as opposed to an email list that has to be maintained and tracked. It's designed for instantaneous news, so I'm not sure how much more of an instant notification it could get than a tweet (that you can have forwarded to your phone btw) that says "BYOC is up". I can see how maybe a couple days ahead of time maybe a "byoc will be up soon" tweet would be nice (though there was a forum post on friday that included the twitter account), but other than that there was a publicly available instant notification.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The email blast was decided against because that made it sell out too fast (back when we thought a week was too fast). Its just announced on the forums and twitter (Both the Prime_BYOC account and the Official_PAX account) so it doesn't instantly sell out and those who *want* to be in the room get a shot.

If an email blast is sent then it would have sold out in hours.

Yes the BYOC accounts name was changed but if you were following it already you should have still gotten the updates from it.

I gave a few days notice when the post went up (also broadcasted to twitter that reg was live soon). We have never given an exact date to when it will go up (just "soon") because we don't know until it happens :P

Sorry to those who might not get in this year but be on alert for next year, cause it will sell out even faster then.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    AxonAxon Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    In. So two years until BYOC becomes blizzcon where you click in 5 seconds or gg?

Axon on
  • Options
    murtemurte Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    @BigRed at the grocery store you said there was a page with the pony pictures from last prime. have that link please?

its all about the concert wrist bands now :D

murte on
    PAX Prime 2011
    (+) PAX Prime 3-day - In my hands!
    (+) PAX Dev 2-day - READY
    (+) BYOC - READY
    (+) Hotel - READY
  • Options
    WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    murte wrote: »
    @BigRed at the grocery store you said there was a page with the pony pictures from last prime. have that link please?

its all about the concert wrist bands now :D

Wut? I thought they were poofled forever.

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    there are no concert wristbands

zerzhul on
  • Options
    murtemurte Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    well thats no fun.
    everything is "fair" now.
    even the exhib lines.
    I hope rockstar comes.

murte on
    PAX Prime 2011
    (+) PAX Prime 3-day - In my hands!
    (+) PAX Dev 2-day - READY
    (+) BYOC - READY
    (+) Hotel - READY
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Well, one last issue is that the link to the registration shows up.....on the forums. The link in the BYOC twitter feed goes to the forums.

I think there should be a week's notice, myself. The email blast came out on 04/27 and I got that, but it just said "soon." The post went up on the forums on 04/29 after I had left for Canada for the weekend, the forums were down for me all day 05/02 when the reg went live, and I finally got through today and almost missed out. Anyone who happens to be on vacation right now (and a week isn't unreasonable for most vacations!) will come home to find the email blast, the tweet, the forum post, and a sold-out sign.

On-sale dates for other events are known weeks to months in advance. I have a hard time believing the Intel group can't give you a week's notice -or- that you can't sit on the link for a few days before releasing it into the wild.

I realize I am apparently in the minority here, but it's very frustrating to see this happen two years in a row despite my efforts to avoid problems in the first place.

alegria on
    Rw4xnu6.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    -or- that you can't sit on the link for a few days before releasing it into the wild.

I realize I am apparently in the minority here, but it's very frustrating to see this happen two years in a row despite my efforts to avoid problems in the first place.

We tried that last year.

People figured out the URL code to get to the reg site so we just made it live anyway after people were posting on the forums about it.

The email was only sent this year as a heads up that 3days were selling out (and might have before BYOC went live). Just so people would get their 3day passes so they could do BYOC when it goes live (also it said in the email it would be announced on twitter/forums when it went live). There hasn't been a general email that says BYOC has gone live since... 2007? Or 08? Its always been on the forums/twitter since then.

If you want the most accurate and immediate info check the forums and twitter.

Also if you keep getting the server too busy error on the forums... wait a few min and try again. It has never been down for me all day.

Ninja edit: like when I was making this post.....

BigRed on
  • Options
    chupamiubrechupamiubre Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Well, one last issue is that the link to the registration shows up.....on the forums. The link in the BYOC twitter feed goes to the forums.

I think there should be a week's notice, myself. The email blast came out on 04/27 and I got that, but it just said "soon." The post went up on the forums on 04/29 after I had left for Canada for the weekend, the forums were down for me all day 05/02 when the reg went live, and I finally got through today and almost missed out. Anyone who happens to be on vacation right now (and a week isn't unreasonable for most vacations!) will come home to find the email blast, the tweet, the forum post, and a sold-out sign.

On-sale dates for other events are known weeks to months in advance. I have a hard time believing the Intel group can't give you a week's notice -or- that you can't sit on the link for a few days before releasing it into the wild.

Yes because Canada has no internet at all!

Can you please notify us of your vacation times next year i think we might be able to work around it but i am not sure. Now if we could only know what time everyone else's vacation is we could work something out.

Look there are only so many seats if an email was sent out it would have gone in all of 12hrs rather than 24hr. The people who kept an ear to the ground and jumped on the opportunity got in. To the others sorry better luck next yr.

chupamiubre on
    <ZeroHourHero> I have a tiny penis
    <Qs23> I just need to get my dicks in a row
    <prox> i work for dicks
    #paforums_pax, all about the dicks.
  • Options
    LethilLethil Registered User new member
    edited May 2011
    Noob question re BYOC:

I have gone through and pre-approved my 2 slots at BYOC, but I haven't gotten any sort of status change saying that they're paid for. How long does it take?

Lethil on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Lethil wrote: »
    Noob question re BYOC:

I have gone through and pre-approved my 2 slots at BYOC, but I haven't gotten any sort of status change saying that they're paid for. How long does it take?

Did you use an e-check with paypal?

BigRed on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Yes because Canada has no internet at all!

Not if you're from the USA, it doesn't. The data rates that Rogers charges to American phones are exhorbitant, and since I spent my weekend in a parking lot and a concrete barn, no options for wi-fi either.

Look, I've already said that apparently I'm in the minority here for not being glued to twitter and yet wanting to be a part of BYOC as I have for the last four years. If BYOC is truly only about whoever is lucky enough to be online when reg goes live no matter what, then that's fine but it's personally quite disappointing to me. It's not like it always goes live on May 2nd every year, so someone can't just block that day or two off on their calendar with a reminder for the next year. I check the forums every day or two after regular PAX regs goes live, but perhaps that doesn't make me enough of a diehard to deserve a BYOC pass if I happen to go away for the weekend. I'm sure I'm not the only person in this boat, and I think that this issue needs to be raised for the benefit of those who are now out of luck for BYOC but won't post on their own.

And as BigRed himself just noted, the forum goes out on everyone. Perhaps I've been lucky (or it's my connection) to have the forums unavailable the last day so I almost didn't find out in time. Yay me.

alegria on
    Rw4xnu6.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Look, I've already said that apparently I'm in the minority here for not being glued to twitter and yet wanting to be a part of BYOC as I have for the last four years. If BYOC is truly only about whoever is lucky enough to be online when reg goes live no matter what, then that's fine but it's personally quite disappointing to me.

Considering how popular BYOC (and PAX for that matter) are becoming, thats the way its going to be. Its just going to sell out faster and faster as the years go on.

PAX is selling out soon as well. Next year it will sell out earlier.

Just have to accept thats the way things are now and move on.

Good news is that the reg rate for BYOC seems to have slowed down so people who want to get a seat can still get one.

BigRed on
  • Options
    bitterfunbitterfun Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Anyone who happens to be on vacation right now (and a week isn't unreasonable for most vacations!) will come home to find the email blast, the tweet, the forum post, and a sold-out sign.
    't give you a week's notice -or- that you can't sit on the link for a few days before releasing it into the wild.

Can you please notify us of your vacation times next year i think we might be able to work around it but i am not sure. Now if we could only know what time everyone else's vacation is we could work something out.

Lol. I'm on vacation right now. BYOC is important to me. I knew it was right around the corner from passes being up. My vacation is important to me. I even joked with my buddy, Valander, "watch as soon as i get to Kauai, BYOC passes will go up".

And you know what? I was still able to get a pass. My buddy knew how to get a hold of me. If I was really worried, I could have had my buddy buy one for me. It's really not hard. He just needs my name, address, email address, and he could put it on his card. My friends know i'm good for $30. Even if i wasn't they'd have 3 months to beat me up for my lunch money until it was paid off.

To sum things up, 15 more beatings until my pass is paid off. Thanks guys! :)

bitterfun on
  • Options
    S2000GanS2000Gan Spartan-Rogue Class, Red Squad Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    24 left
    Just got myself a seat and logged onto my friend's account to pay for his

(the lame-o cant pay me back until later) because he's going to prom with my Ex's Sister and after he's graduated too lol. I dont care if he didnt go to his prom, I dont think he should go having a crush on my Ex's sister -.- Bad idea but will he listen? no...

S2000Gan on
    hnx2ZrU.jpg6jYGFlE.png
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hm, would it be plausible to scale the amount of BYOC seats to the amount of expected PAX attendees?

It seems like in 2008 there were 306 seats (18 by 18 rows, minus 18 for staff/intel?), 420 seats in 2009, in 2010 there was 462 seats (33 x 14 rows?) and the faq says 550 seats, and now in 2011 there are 350 seats.

Attendance:
    2008: 58,500
    2009: 60,750
    2010: 67,600

.... oops forgot pax prime hit max capacity in 09. I'm trying to find 2005 prime byoc numbers to compare to the 9,000 attendees to see if this is even a valid point. but at least I found a fond memory.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Someone should really add an extra floor or 2 into the WSCTC... that would help alot!!!

Googalash on
  • Options
    YuritauYuritau CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    19 left, after paying for my seat.

Yuritau on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    There are more people in the "registered but unpaid" category than there are seats left. If you registered but did not pay, you may want to attempt to hurry the payment.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    AGlassOfMilkAGlassOfMilk Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Question: I just bought and paid for 3 tickets (1 for myself and 2 for my friends). How do I transfer the tickets to my friends? Can we just all sign in together come game day?

Also, is seating down?

AGlassOfMilk on
  • Options
    contrefaitcontrefait Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Question: I just bought and paid for 3 tickets (1 for myself and 2 for my friends). How do I transfer the tickets to my friends? Can we just all sign in together come game day?

Also, is seating down?

You will have to be there to get their badges. You then hand them the separate badge and they handle checking in their equipment.

There is no assigned seating except for large groups and that won't happen for a while.

contrefait on
    PAX East 2016 Checklist
    Passes: ▬ Hotel: ▬ Flight: [color=red]☑[/color]
  • Options
    AGlassOfMilkAGlassOfMilk Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    contrefait wrote: »

Also, is seating down?

You will have to be there to get their badges. You then hand them the separate badge and they handle checking in their equipment.

There is no assigned seating except for large groups and that won't happen for a while.

Thanks. Is there a reason why there are fewer seats this year? Did they expand Free Play or something?

AGlassOfMilk on
  • Options
    moodboommoodboom Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    The first game of Pax Prime 2011: getting in to BYOC!

Condolences to those who didn't make it, props to the peeps who did. What a rush. See you guys soon!

moodboom on
This discussion has been closed.