As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Ultimate DS Game Thread

124»

• jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Darlan wrote: »
    carbon13 wrote: »
    I'm looking for a good ds game to pick up. Something fun that I can play for a lil bit then move on. Emphasis on fun. Thinking of Yoshi's story, anyone rate that over NSMB? I never did like any of the Mario games, sans 64, but on the ds that is.
    I was extremely disappointed by New Super Mario Bros. It's extremely short, and really just an okay, 7/10-ish platformer...and I don't mean okay for a Mario. IS Yoshi's Island 2 good?

I enjoyed Yoshi's Island DS. It's not quite as good as the original, but Yoshi skiing returns. The only downside is that there's one less world than the SNES original and some of the later levels are pretty cheap. It's a good thing you'll have approximately 99 yoshis by the time you get there.
    Squashua wrote: »
    I was disappointed by it too. Nothing new to that game but the giant mushrooms, and once you do that a couple times, YAWN. It was nowhere near as tough as the original or SMB3.

Turtle suit. Miniature mushroom.
    I'm not going to try to change your opinion of the game, but both of those powerups were new (as far as I know) and they both kick the ever-loving shit out of the mega mushroom.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • TayaTaya Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Noray wrote: »
    I got Trauma Center last Sunday which finally dropped in price here to 20 euros. I like it but it's hard sometimes. I'm on the bomb defusal now and I have no idea what to do. I have to laser the chips or something but when I do it assplodes :(
    Make sure you laser the chips and not the wires. That was my mistake. The chips that you destroy have to be the correct ones that are connected to... something. I can't remember exactly what to do in that mission.

Taya on
  • SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    jclast wrote: »
    Squashua wrote: »
    I was disappointed by it too. Nothing new to that game but the giant mushrooms, and once you do that a couple times, YAWN. It was nowhere near as tough as the original or SMB3.

Turtle suit. Miniature mushroom.
    I'm not going to try to change your opinion of the game, but both of those powerups were new (as far as I know) and they both kick the ever-loving shit out of the mega mushroom.

I was GONNA go back and re-edit my post to mention the turtle suit, but by-damn, I can't hold onto the things without getting killed and honestly, there was no burining requirement to HAVE one.

I mean, is there a special extra ending I'm missing somewhere by not getting all three coins from every land?

Squashua on
  • waywardryanwaywardryan Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    bump

waywardryan on
    Lemon - Bright Wizard
    Bijaz - Ironbreaker
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Man, my ds has gone so ignored for so long. I've still got Phoenix Wright 2 to finish, as well as Contact and the first Castlevania, I've got Touch Detective still in the shrinkwrap, just got Pokeymans: Pearl, and I still need to pick up Hotel Dusk, Theme Park, and probably Puzzle Quest as well. DAMN!

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • NofrikinfuNNofrikinfuN Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Man, my ds has gone so ignored for so long. I've still got Phoenix Wright 2 to finish, as well as Contact and the first Castlevania, I've got Touch Detective still in the shrinkwrap, just got Pokeymans: Pearl, and I still need to pick up Hotel Dusk, Theme Park, and probably Puzzle Quest as well. DAMN!

I noticed that my interest in the DS waned when the megathread got axed. The hype is missing. I am, however, excited to be on my way to trying out homebrew.

NofrikinfuN on
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Has anyone played Honeycomb Beat? I've been in a Puzzley mood lately after playing far too much Puzzle Quest and was wondering if it's worth the $20. It looks interesting, and like it might be a nice odd title for my collection, but the reviews have been pretty lackluster.

Lindsay Lohan on
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Herby wrote: »
    Has anyone played Honeycomb Beat? I've been in a Puzzley mood lately after playing far too much Puzzle Quest and was wondering if it's worth the $20. It looks interesting, and like it might be a nice odd title for my collection, but the reviews have been pretty lackluster.

I don't think it was worth $20. It feels very much like Hudson saw Polarium and said "How do we make this just different enough to not get sued?"

Also, the endurance mode features honeycombs that are too big and scroll too fast to be any fun. You'll clear the first round but after that the game gets pissed and kills you.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2007
    I know we have the Wiki, but I think we'd be better served if we had a DS thread (and a Wii thread, for that matter) that actually emulated the Ultimate Gamecube Game Thread with commentary on each game and why to buy it, or why it's so good (or bad).

Squashua on
  • MashalotMashalot Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    So, someone sell me on pokemon. I've never played a pokemon game. My perception of it is that it's sort of a cutesy RPG with Mother-y sprites where you collect little monsters you find... where? Random battles? in the field? By doing 'quests', etc.? All of the above?

I'm not going near the pokemon thread it smells like death.

Does it get pretty complex and number crunchy or can you just have fun in a pick up n' play manner.

If one were to obtain one of the new pokemon games which is better and why.

Mashalot on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Mashalot wrote: »
    So, someone sell me on pokemon. I've never played a pokemon game. My perception of it is that it's sort of a cutesy RPG with Mother-y sprites where you collect little monsters you find... where? Random battles? in the field? By doing 'quests', etc.? All of the above?

I'm not going near the pokemon thread it smells like death.

Does it get pretty complex and number crunchy or can you just have fun in a pick up n' play manner.

If one were to obtain one of the new pokemon games which is better and why.

Motheresque graphics - Sure, a little less realistic in many ways, but close enough
    Collecting cutsey monsters - Check
    Random battles - check
    in the field - those are the random encounters
    quests - more than one
    all of the above - absolutely
    Number crunchy - Only if you want to play it like that
    Complex - Very, though its depth is done in layers, you can if you want just plough through the game
    Pick up and Play - Absolutely
    Which new game - Pretty irrelevant at this point in time because of online trading, pick the box that looks cooler.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • MashalotMashalot Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    So the story is that you can only get certain pokemon in certain games unless you trade.

Considering how many people go apeshit for Pokemon it must be... really... fun? Right?

Mashalot on
    edited April 2007
    Yes, that is the story. Luckily, there is quite an active and friendly (though deeply scary) pokemon community here, who will be willing to help you along if you do decide to "catch 'em all". Not that you have to if you want to beat the game.

Is it really fun? Yes, yes it is.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • sethsezsethsez Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Herby wrote: »

If you're in the mood for an under-the-radar $20 DS puzzle game, go for Gunpey DS instead. I actually like it about as much as Meteos.

sethsez on
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Sorry for the necro but there really isn't a place to say this anywhere else:

Lunar Knights has the most fucked up, whacked out setting I think I've ever seen in a video game. Vampires in Gundam armour blocking out the sun with an environmental control system, gunslingers in space ships, werewolfing main characters, random memory loss, eveyone's an orphan...

I am agog.

Magic Pink on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I have fallen in love with Mario vs Donkey Kong: Mini Land Mayhem.

It's hugely charming and reminds me of Lemmings, which I happen to love.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
    edited May 2011
    http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=222049

Some of you may not like neoGAF but this is probably the best (if a bit out of date) list of DS games on the entire internet.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    You necro'ed a thread from four years ago to talk about Lunar Knights?

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    You necro'ed a thread from four years ago to talk about Lunar Knights?

Yeah, I did. :oops: But I seriously could not find any other thread that it would have remotely fit in and the thing was just chewing at my brain like a rat on meth.

Besides, this is supposed to be the Ultimate DS Game thread and it only made it to 5 pages? That's just sad. It deserved another chance.

Magic Pink on