As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[UNIFIED] DISCUSSION (v5)

VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine.Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Social Entropy++
unifiedonesheetem5.jpg
unifiedonesheet2ll9.jpg
unifiedonesheet3rx3.jpg
unifiedonesheet5xp0.jpg
unifiedonesheet4cr5.jpg
unifiedonesheet6ct6.jpg

WIKI AND SIGNUPS GET THE GREEN LIGHT ON JUNE 16TH, 2007. Stop fucking asking, sheesh.

What is Unified?
Unified is a forum-based multiplayer RPG. It is designed to accomodate a large quantity of players, of varying levels of involvement and interest.
It will be run in Of Dice and Men, Penny Arcade's tabletop/RPG forum, starting June 16th.
Is there a time commitment?
No, not really. The game is not "real-time", nor does it require you to be online at certain times, or adhere to a certain number of posts per week. A person can actively participate in the game with only checking in once or twice a week and making a handful of posts.

How many players will be involved?
That is still undecided. The game has thus far generated massive interest, far beyond what I expected at this point, so I'm still figuring out the number of players that I will have. Theoretically the game can have an unlimited number of players, but for practicality purposes I will probably have a hard cap for the number of players at the start of the game, and I will expand it later.

What is the setting like?
The setting of Unified is quite unique. It takes place in an alternate history, in the year 2019. Before the year 2000, the world of Unified was one similar to many other comic book superheroic settings: A world of powerful heroes and diabolic villains, with the fate of the world in the balance.
In the year 2000, that changed: A race of alien robotic creatures called the Anathema invaded Earth from another dimension, and it was only thanks to Earth's mightiest heroes that the world was saved. However, in the aftermath of this nearly-apocalyptic event, those same heroes decided that the best thing for the world's safety would be to take it over.
Now, 15 years later, the Singular Unified Nation (S.U.N.) is ruled with an iron-fist by the superhuman paragon Ultimatum. His superpowered army/police force, the Vanguard, maintain order and recruit nascent superhumans to their ranks. There are many other factions, powers, and stories at work in this world as well.

What game mechanics system does it use?
Unified uses it's own system, designed by me specifically for both this campaign and the environment it will be played in. It is designed to be optimized for forum-based roleplaying, and the combat system in particular is designed to be both dynamic and simple, allowing for a great amount of creativity while still maintaining a basic structure keeping it as an actual game instead of just a piece of collaberative fiction.

Where can I find out more about the setting and/or the game system?
A great wealth of info can be gained by reading this preview thread, and the one before it. There is no single summary post that explains everything. I am currently working on a PBWiki database, which will go up in a few weeks, and will allow you to search for any element of the game mechanics or setting you need to know about, in one easily referenced resource. When that wiki goes up, I'll relate an announcement to it.

How do I create a character? I see a lot of people have created characters already, complete with stats.
People are far more advanced and clever than I really had considered when I made the original preview thread. Based on the Q&A and previews I've posted sporadically through-out this thread, clever posters have managed to discern and try to intuit aspects of the game mechanics and in many cases have gotten a lot right.
Some posters have even created summary posts, trying to assemble a rough idea of how character creation works. Ultimately, I suggest that you don't worry about it too much. While it may seem some other people are way ahead of the curve than you, nobody is truly locked into the game yet and no character stats posted should be considered final, approved, or official.

So what's this thread for, then?
This is a preview thread. It's designed to create interest and drum up anticipation. Think of it like a movie trailer or a onesheet poster (many examples of which have been posted through-out the thread). I've engaged in Q&A about the game world and mechanics spontaneously through-out the thread, and if you just look around, you can find out all kinds of interesting information.

Characters:

Fedora
blankspace247
Quetzi
Anjin-San
Scrumtrulescent
Green
Vivixenne
DarkPrimus
commie
SA
Favlaud
Darkblade_1
Rankenphile
ZeroZero
Harrier
Wiggin
Core
Wearingglasses
Fallout
Mr. Shine
Darkseid
CableCarrier
Kusugattai
Redeemer
Zombot
Mysst
mrpaku
Langly
Captain Cthulhu
Butler
Bendery
Lost2knight
sarakun
Cosmic Sombrero
Curly_Brace
Inquisitor
Utsanomiko
Lardalish
SeafoodSoup
<3
MadEddy
Run Run Run
Scooter
KingMole
#pipe
Reynolds
Last Updated at Man Seriously Does it Even Matter

COMBAT EXAMPLE
Pony's posted a sample combat post. Check it out HERE.

TENTATIVE ORGANIZATIONS:

The Offices:

The International Offices of Extrajudicial Execution, a division of Penumbra Inc (a company which does not actually even exist except for these purposes), more commonly known as The Offices, is an organization specializing in hired assassination work. They provide quality service and good clean deaths, with a specialization in superhuman and metahuman jobs. We're always looking for members, so if you think you have what it takes (lack of morals, sneaky skills), then PM Quetzi, the founding member. If you wish to hire The Offices for any job, the instructions to do so are here.

The Heroes United Group:
The premier Vanguard Beta through Gamma Zone Field Team. As you may have heard, we lost a good deal of our members a few months ago. Don't believe that this means we have lost our way. The all-new HUG is just as good, if not better than the old HUG. If you want to apply, please send a message to Heavyweight or Golem via your local Vanguard Agency.

-Heavyweight.

Here is the current HUG roster:

Active Team:
Heavyweight
Golem
Splice
Plasmatic
Dr. Insector

Reserves:
The Swashbuckler
The Elementalist
Genesis
Zeittaucher
Avicenna

The Ring of Gyges:

Information Pending.

Loosely Affiliated:
"The 54th St. Boogeyman"
"Caleb Riker"
"The Face"

Last Updated at 8:03PM Wednesday, May 23, 2007

ATTN NEWBS:

Need help with your character? Viv has you covered.

Need a character sheet? Darkblade has a resource you should look over.

Need a point of reference for your character sheet? Fedora chimes in with some info previously given by Pony.

Want a specialized Hardy Clinic Profile? Viv swings and hits one out of the park for you!*

*There is a waiting list.

Here are two of the most powerful characters in the game, again provided by Fedora:

Ultimatum
Ultimatum
Level 10 Villain (50 Character Points)
Faction: S.U.N.

Powers

Core Attribute - Perfected Self (22 Points)
Type: Major
Feats (22):
Boundless Courage (Alteration)
Breathless (Alteration)
Deny Magic (Alteration)
Flight (Movement)
Immortal (Alteration)
Immovable (Alteration)
Immune to Disease (Alteration)
Immune to Energy Damage(Alteration)
Immune to Mental Effects (Alteration)
Immune to Physical Damage (Alteration)
Immune to Poison (Alteration)
Immune to Pressure Change (Alteration)
Immune to Radiation Effects (Alteration)
Immune to Temperature Change (Alteration)
Iron Will (Defense)
Self-Sustaining (Alteration)
Superhuman Speed (Movement)
Superhuman Strength (Offense)
Superhuman Toughness (Defense)
Superleaping (Movement)
Tireless (Alteration)
Unstoppable (Defense)

Traits

Ruler of the World (20 Points)
Feats (20):
Alter Global Law (General)
Artisan's Technological Library (General)
Defensive Field Uniform (Defense)
Fortress Ultima (General)
Geo-Political Influence (General)
Infinite Arsenal (Offense)
Limitless Wealth (General)
Mental Link with the Seeker (Alteration)
Perfect Council Mystical Consultation (General)
Personal Emergency Teleporter Network (Movement)
Resolution-Level Satellite Strike (Offense)
SIGMA Intelligence Resources (General)
SIGMA Neutralization Squad (Alteration)
SIGMA Supremecy Agents (Sensory)
SUN Facilities (General)
Satellite Monitoring Network (Sensory)
Vandroid Dreadnought Armada (Offense)
Vanguard Elite Bodyguards (Defense)
Vanguard Elite Strike Force (Offense)
Vehicle Fleet (Movement)

Flaws

Arrogance (-2 Points)
Type: Minor
Feats (1):
Underestimate Opponent (Alteration)

Crius; Ruler of Greece, Titan of Old
Crius the Titan
Level 10 Villain
Factions: SUN, Temple of the Ram

Powers

Core Attribute - Titanic Might (24 Points)
Modifier: Major Increased Versatility (2 Points)
Feats (22):
Ancient Knowledge (General)
Change Size (Alteration)
Divine Wrath (Alteration)
Divine Influence (Alteration)
Dominate Minds (Alteration)
Fearless (Alteration)
Fleshpiercing Gaze (Sensory)
Godly Charisma (Alteration)
Hear Thoughts (Alteration)
Hurl Objects (Offense)
Immortal (Alteration)
Immovable (Alteration)
Immune to Disease (Alteration)
Immune to Mental Effects (Alteration)
Immune to Physical Damage (Alteration)
Iron Will (Defense)
Leap of the Mountains (Movement)
Perfect Hearing (Sensory)
Perfect Sight (Sensory)
Smite of the Ram (Offense)
Titanic Strength (Offense)
Titanic Toughness (Defense)
Unlimited Strength (Alteration)
Unstoppable (Defense)

Traits

Ruler of Greece (14 Points)
Modifier: Major Reduced Versatility (-2 Points)
Feats (14):
Alter Law of Greece (General)
Call Mystical Ritual (Alteration)
Devotee Bodyguards (Defense)
Devotee Warriors (Offense)
Menagerie of Mythic Beasts (Offense)
Mundane Arsenal (Offense)
Olympian Fortress (General)
Personal Emergency Teleporter Network (Movement)
Political Influence (General)
SIGMA Epsionage Detachment (Sensory)
Temple of the Ram's Devotion (General)
Vanguard Phalanx (Offense)
Vehicle Fleet (Movement)
Wealth of Greece (General)

Devices

Artifacts of Olympus (16 Points)
Modifier: Major Device (-2 Points), Magical Manifestation (Artifacts are not real, they are magical manifestations of Crius' ring) (-2 Points)
Feats (20):
Aegis of Athena (Defense)
Bow of Artemis (Offense)
Chariot of Helios (Movement)
Crown of Hera (Alteration)
Fruit of Persephone (Alteration)
Girdle of Aphrodite (Alteration)
Hammer of Hephaestus (Alteration)
Helm of Hades (Alteration)
Horn of Demeter (Alteration)
Javelin of Zeus (Offense)
Key of Hecate (Alteration)
Lantern of Hestia (Alteration)
Lion Cloak of Heracles (Alteration)
Lyre of Apollo (Alteration)
Quiver of Eros (Alteration)
Sandals of Hermes (Movement)
Staff of Dionysus (Alteration)
Sword of Ares (Offense)
Torch of Selene (Alteration)
Trident of Poseidan (Alteration)

Flaws

Arrogance (-2 Points)
Feats (1):

From Another Age
Feats (1):
Vulnerable to Technology (Alteration)

Challenges

Godly Lust
Feats (1):
Easily Seduced (Alteration)

Fedora Art*:

Ultimatum
Poster.jpg

Plasmatic
bluefi-ah.jpg

HeavyWeight
Freeeefallllllin.jpg

54th st. Boogeyman
54thstreetboogeyman.jpg

*STOP SWAMPING HIM YOU BASTARDS

SOUNDS OF THE WAR

UNIFIED SOUNDTRACK:
The Song of the Drifter [Pony]: http://www.padrehq.com/favlaud/Sounds/DrifterSong.mp3
Anathema Attacks [Redeemer]: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SFEX95PM

Themes By Redeemer:
Wounded Warsong (Theme of Genesis)
Agent Provocateur (Theme of Magpie)
Risen (Theme of Cruor)
Stone Guardian (Theme of Heavyweight)
If Nothing Matters (Theme of Blak Magik)
Whisper (Theme of The Face)
The Good Old Days (Theme of Peal)
Nocturne (Theme of Volje)
White Noise (Theme of Forever Zero)
Venus (Theme of La Espina)
The Tome of Eternity (Theme of Wordsmith)
Requiem Eyes (Theme of Bacunawa)
A Stray Child (Theme of Redeemer)

I will include a complete list of all the composed theme songs thus far; DO NOT PM ME WITH YOUR LINKS UNLESS IT WAS NOT DONE BY REDEEMER.

I will ask for a list of links from Redeemer himself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here it is, the fifth and DEFINITELY LAST Unified thread before the game starts up. The OP will NOT be updated as often as previous threads; I will only update it to include whatever Pony wants to add.

If you're missing on the player list, I'll add you if I see you but it really should come down to Pony's one-on-one approval process now more than anything else, so I will not even bother keeping that list up-to-date until the game starts.

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
Vivixenne on

• BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Anjin Can't Post on this page.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Ahahaha, blankspace was totally cockblocked by Viv

Also, does anyone else realize that we've spent 400+ pages discussing this?

Green on
  • ZombotZombot Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm so looking forward to this game.
    I wish I had more to post in these threads.

Zombot on
    edited June 2007
    Pfft

I didn't even have it copied.

Viv saved my ass.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I really should put together a whole bio and power list and such

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • DarkseidDarkseid Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    Viv, can you update my character link? The current link doesn't reflect my vagoo properly

Darkseid on
    cutglass.jpg
    Diamond Friend Code: 0043 9432 1473
    edited June 2007
    Darkseid wrote: »
    Viv, can you update my character link? The current link doesn't reflect my vagoo properly
    You'd need a full body mirror for that

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Codename: GENESIS

Name: Alvita Sinclair
    Height: 5'10"
    Weight: 135 lbs
    Hair: Long, Black
    Eyes: Turquoise
    Alignment: Vanguard

HARDY CLINICS DIAGNOSTIC REPORT

CHARACTER ABILITIES
    Abilities: Can shapeshift into any mammal genus with which she has had blood-to-blood contact.

Limitations: Can only shapeshift into a single species from each genus; whichever species in each genus with which she had first blood-to-blood contact is the only species of that genus into which she can transform. This is why she cannot shapeshift into another homo sapien.

Usage: Each transformation can last as long as necessary, with no mental focus necessary to maintain the shift; she can be knocked unconscious and still retain her genus form. It is only the shift itself that requires actual concentration. She maintains her sentient, human mind during each shift, allowing her to think and process information in animal form just like she would in her human form. She is also able to communicate with and understand members of the genera into which she shifted, though translating it from "beast speak" (as she calls it) into to human communication can take time and practice, especially with new genera. However, due to the loss of human vocal cords in the transformation, she is unable to communicate properly while in non-human form; in most cases, she is still able to vocalize certain sounds that sound like words, but overall it is hard to understand her.

Familiarity with the animal body and how it moves and works is innate and instinctual; she does not have to get "used" to an animal's body before being comfortable in it, though in many cases the transformation can be troublesome if she's not experienced in making the shift into a specific genus.

She does not have to shift back into human form to switch from one animal to another; she can switch from any one to genera to any other, though in some cases the genetic differences between genera can affect the length of a shift. A change from a dusky dolphin to a bottlenose dolphin, for example, would be much quicker than a shift from a mouse to a sea lion. The difference in time, however, is not large enough that jumping through multiple forms would increase the speed of her shift to her chosen form; it is always quicker for her to jump directly into her chosen form from her original form.

Transformations range from virtually instantaneous (more of a "blink" transformation than a real morphing process) to several seconds. The shortest timed transformation took place in 0.032 seconds, wherein she'd transformed from her black jaguar form to her cougar form. The longest timed transformation took place in 12.11 seconds, wherein she'd transformed from her bat form to her orca form. Her transformation times are already optimal, and it usually takes only two to three transformations into a newly acquired form before she can minimize the time and effort to shift into that new form as well.

Too many shifts in a short span of time can detrimentally affect her ability to shift. The results of this kind of fatigue are varied, depending on her mental state. Some effects that have been observed in the past were the inability to manage a complete shift (at great risk to her physical health, as her body cannot survive for long without a dominant DNA strand), the inability to shift into a single genus (i.e., shifting into more than one genus at the same time owing to a lack of concentration), or the inability to shift out of an animal form.

Her body must always have a single dominant DNA strand, so she cannot mix and blend her genus collection and become half-bear/half-pig. She must shift into a stable genus each time or suffer severe damage to her physical well-being. During a shift, then, her body is rejecting one strand of DNA for another, meaning that in the span of time between two stable genera, her body is actually very vulnerable and at great risk if not protected. She has shifted so many times that the physical pain is now nearly negligent, allowing her to change almost instantaneously and with ease, but that doesn't mean her body does not suffer the damage, meaning that after a shift she may not be able to operate at maximum efficiency right away. She can operate at maximum efficiency about 88 seconds after a shift, which is the average amount of time it takes her body to recover from the damage of the DNA switch.

There is no limit to the mass of the animals into which she can shapeshift, but shifting into an animal too large (as compared to her human form) can be a long and painstaking process—leaving her extremely vulnerable during the shift—and is often not worth the effort. Animals significantly smaller than her human form have posed no real complication in the past. Her quickest and easiest transformations are into genera that share approximately the same mass as her human form.

When it comes to suffering from injuries, there is no one general result; a lot of it depends on the injury. In most cases, however, any injury suffered in one form that has not healed will carry over to most of the other forms as well. Wounds suffered in one area of the injured body will be carried over to a corresponding area on the new body, and this "transfer" of wounds depends on function rather than actual location. If her dorsal fin was injured while in the form of a dolphin, she will suffer cartilage damage in the flesh protecting her spinal cord. If she suffers damage to the trachea in human form, then in dolphin form it will be the blowhole that is wounded. Similarly, heals or "boosts" offered to specific functions also carry over.

If she is injured during a transformation, it is more than likely that she will end up in an "in-between" state, which is highly dangerous for her and a form in which she cannot survive for long. The injury must be healed before she can complete or reverse the shift to save her life. The tricky part, then, is being able to heal an injury that affects two completely different genera at the same time without doing further damage to her already delicate state. Magic-based and regenerative heals often work best, while surgical and medicinal heals tend to be much more risky.

Perhaps the most baffling of her abilities, however, is how all her animal forms adjust in age relative to her own. Since aging can be considered a form of "injury" to the body, so too do her animal forms age alongside her. With mammalian life spans being significantly shorter than that of a human, one would think that her genera would eventually "die out" long before she did. This is not so. The ages of her animal forms scale relative to her own life stage. (Think "dog years" versus "human years.") For example, a cougar has an average life span of 12 years. A human has an average life span of 72 years. Therefore, when she is 24 in human years, in cougar form she is only 4.

It should go without saying, but death in one form results in her being unable to shift into another form, so it's basically a death across all forms.

Clothing does not shift along with her. If she is in human form and wearing clothes that fit her body just right, then shifting into a bear will tear the clothes and, on return to her human form, leave her naked. The solution to this is a skin-tight bodysuit that was designed just for her during the war. When she shifts, the material binds to her skin and essentially becomes part of her genetic material (i.e,. her ability/body recognizes it as being part of the homo sapien genus), so it's "stored" alongside her human DNA. It is not visible in animal form and reappears when she returns to her human form.

COLLECTED GENERA

Felis catus
    - mackerel tabby cat
    Panthera onca - black jaguar (Melanistic)
    Elephas maximus - Asian elephant
    Ailuropoda melanoleuca - giant panda
    Giraffa camelopardalis - giraffe
    Saimiri sciureus - common squirrel monkey
    Canis lupus - gray wolf
    Sciurus griseus - Western gray squirrel
    Cavia porcellus - guinea pig
    Mus musculus - house mouse
    Lagenorhynchus obscurus - dusky dolphin
    Tursiops truncatus - bottlenose dolphin
    Oryctyolagus cuniculus - European rabbit (Dutch breed)
    Neophoca cinera - Australian sea lion
    Orcinus orca - killer whale
    Lontra canadensis - North American river otter
    Nycticeius humeralis - evening bat
    Eonycteris major - dawn fruit bat
    Acerodon jubatus - golden-capped fruit bat
    Mormopterus norfolkensis - Eastern little Mastiff bat

Stenella longirostris - spinner dolphin
    Uncia uncia - snow leopard
    Lynx lynx - Eurasian lynx
    Puma concolor - cougar
    Dasypus septemcinctus - armadillo
    Gorilla beringei graueri - gorilla
    Saimiri sciureus - squirrel monkey
    Cebus capucinus - white-headed capuchin monkey
    Equus caballus - black Andalusian horse
    Rhinoceros unicornis - Indian rhino
    Vulpes vulpes schrencki - Japanese red fox
    Alopex lagopus - Arctic fox
    Procyon lotor - raccoon
    Gazella bennettii - chinkara gazelle
    Cervus elaphus - red deer
    Oryx gazella - gemsbok antelope
    Crocuta crocuta - spotted hyena
    Parahyaena brunnea - brown hyena
    Nyctereutes procyonoides - raccoon dog
    Ursus maritimus - polar bear
    Melursus usrinus - sloth bear

CHARACTER BIOGRAPHY
    Unlike many other individuals with animal morphing abilities, Alvita (or "Vita" for short) has no true love for animals. Rather than viewing them as peers, companions, or even teachers like others whose powers are closely related to animals, Vita's connection to them was never personal. Rather, her connection to them was simply fascination of their banality and a feeling that she was superior to them.

Her powers manifested when she was only 5 years old (3 years before the invasion), though it's arguable as to whether or not her powers had to manifest; it was at 5 that she first came in contact with animal blood.

Her first collected genus was a simple Felis catus, her family's gray-and-white mackerel tabby cat. In a rather frightening accident that involved Vita's overenthusiastic playtime and a living room glass bookshelf, the cat and Vita got cut with shards of flying, broken glass. Vita's blood met the cat's when an open gash on her lower arm met with the blood from a wound in her cat's side. While both cat and girl came away with minor injuries, it was right then that Vita discovered her powers.

Wishing that the accident hadn't happened and that her cat would be all right (and, in her mind, picturing her uninjured cat), Vita inadvertently triggered her very first shape shift, scaring her cat as she became an exact replica of it. Her injuries did not heal in the shift however, with every gash that had been on her human body in a corresponding area on her cat body.

Since then, Vita's belief that animals were only tools strengthened. It wasn't long before she, like the rest of her peers, soon learned that their powers had uses beyond the occasional practical joke, and thus her more sinister self took shape.

In the two years since the discovery of her powers, Vita insisted to her parents, friends, and relatives that they visit the zoo. Often.

Her second genus was a Panthera onca, a Menalistic black jaguar. Vita waited for an opportune moment to slip away, transform into her cat self, and wiggle her way into the enclosure with a shard of glass clasped in her mouth. Moving quickly, she'd managed to make a small but deep cut in her paw (right between the index and middle fingers of her right hand), then crept up to the jaguar. Rather ruthlessly, she stabbed the shard of glass deep into the jaguar's hip, drawing blood instantly and managing to press her own bleeding paw against the wound before the jaguar's resulting roars and writhing threw her off.

That same trip to the zoo also gave her the Elephas maximus, which she attained in similar fashion to the jaguar form. Though she had the genus stored, however, she did not attempt this shift until many years later, for fear of what would happen if she tried to shift into something so massive in size compared to her own original body.

The discovery of her genus-limitation was when she actively tried to add the DNA of a Siberian white tiger (also of the Panthera genus) to her repertoire. She realized (too late) that she could only collect one species from each genus, and that each time she transformed, she could only shift into an exact duplicate of the animal whose DNA she'd collected. Her parents were the ones who helped her confirm this, though they were wary now that they realized their daughter was so quick to hurt another living being to complement her powers.

Yet another trip to zoo gave her the Ailuropoda melanoleuca (giant panda), Giraffa camelopardalis (giraffe) and the Saimiri sciureus (squirrel monkey) genera, and it was at this point that her parents put a taboo on family trips to the zoo all together, thanks to her father finding her in cat form with blood all over her paws.

Her seventh genus was a Canis lupus, a typical gray wolf found not too far from her hometown. In jaguar form, she tracked and hunted one of these wolves, killed it, then bit her own paw to gain the genus. Something important to note here is that even though this was her first kill, it had absolutely no effect on Vita's mental state; to her, she had not taken a life at all, only made use of an otherwise useless animal. This particular incident, her parents never knew about.

Her next few genera were common animals such as a squirrel or a mouse or a rabbit. These were mostly for experimentation purposes and more for the sake of having a complete "collection" than anything else. It was during this time that she found she could only shift into genera of the class Mammalia, or mammals.

A family reunion at Sea World in Florida went awry when she managed to slip away from her already-cautious parents long enough to make blood-to-blood contact with two kinds of dolphin, a sea lion, an otter, and, terrifyingly enough, an orca killer whale. If it weren't for the fact that Vita could not be identified by park security, it would have most certainly resulted in her arrest and subsequent rehabilitation. None of the animals she bled died, as the wounds she left were shallow, but it does not change the fact that she showed no remorse in hurting innocent creatures.

She also went through a bat craze for a while, particularly when she realized that there were dozens of bat genera out there. A school trip that took them on a night safari provided her with her very first flying genera. A vacation to Singapore and an unknown-to-her-parents visit to the Singapore Zoological Gardens gave her access to the largest bat in the world (Acerodon jubatus). It wasn't long before she was vanishing into the night to experiment with flying and, inevitably, scaring a neighbor.

It was also during one trip in bat form that she realized her animal forms couldn't function for long periods of time outside of their natural climate and habitat. The golden-capped fruit bat was a native of the very tropical Singapore, and soaring around for hours at a time in cold, semiarid weather eventually led to fatigue, nausea, an inability to concentrate, and sometimes illness.

By the time she was 8 (three short years since the discovery of her power), she had access to over a dozen different genera, with her favorite form being her resilient, tireless black jaguar, though the one she used the most was that of her cat.

When the war began shortly after Vita's eighth birthday, she found herself severely limited in terms of the new additions to her arsenal, being that she could no longer wander around at night scavenging for specimens with her parents wanting to keep her close. Her family took refuge in Western Europe for the duration of the initial attack and remained mobile through Eurasia for the four years of the war itself. She spent most of this time in her animal forms at her parents' request, hoping to keep her safe.

Though she was far too young to volunteer to fight in the war, Ultimatum's Vanguard approached her family several times after it was over, asking if she would be interested in joining SUN and, when she was old enough, help rebuild the world under the Vanguard's leadership. Her family, being mistrustful of Ultimatum, denied their offers many times over.

Alvita completed her high school education in Switzerland, 6 years after the end of the war and towards the end of the Reclamation. She only gained a few genera a year during this period, owing to increased security in most sectors and, sadly enough, the fact that animals were harder to find now than they were before. Now a legal adult anywhere in the world, SUN approached her again, this time with offers of scientific expeditions to regions of the world with genera that she had not yet seen, and they would also finance a college-level education in the field of her voice. Vita had a very hard time saying no to that.

As incentive for her, she was given free access to zoos and nature preserves around the world, where she collected the vast majority of her current genera. Where she could not find living specimens, she was given access rights to call on bio-labs that stored and studied blood samples from species that had died in the war or that were simply rare or close to extinction.

To facilitate the development and expansion of her abilities, SUN had a special bodysuit designed just for Vita. The skintight suit merged itself with her own human DNA, allowing it to remain in place when she switched in and out of human form, eliminating the problem of having to find clothes and somewhere private before shifting back into human form.

Much to SUN's surprise, Vita did not choose any biology-related area of study in her university years, no matter how gifted she was at it. Instead, she studied a wide variety of languages, to the point where, when she graduated from university, she was proficient in English, Mandarin, German, French, Spanish, Italian, Russian, Korean, Japanese, Portuguese, Hindi, and Arabic. The reason for this, of course, was that these language skills made Vita's life slightly easier when translating animal thoughts into human ones, as she had a better handle on how languages worked and developed.

Throughout her university years, Vita trained with SUN in basic combat and weapons training as well as power control and manipulation. She became especially talented at choosing the right genus for any situation or even climate and environment. All this training did, however, was increase her desire to broaden her genus pool, so that she could have every potential option for any given situation, climate, environment, function, or need.

In spite of the war, SUN's training, and the passage of time, Vita's view on animals had not changed. They were simply tools to be used. They were inferior to her and the need to understand them was only born of the fact that she felt her animal "peers" owed her their help. In cases of extinct or near-extinct genera, Vita's view was that by taking them into her fold, she was doing them a favor by letting them live on once more in her, that she was superior because she could keep them alive where they would have perished, and that all animals owed her their allegiance in exchange for this service. Nothing else she does, in her view, serves animals in any way, but rather is the other way around.

She will not hesitate to let an animal die, whether through the absorbing of the genus or in some other situation. Animals in pain or misery mean nothing to her, as they are simply beings who live only to serve their singular purpose, which is to enhance her power either by giving her their genus or by helping her when she is in animal form and communicating with them.

When it comes to other people, Vita is typically cold and uncaring, if only because she does not believe anyone's business is anyone's but their own. This mentality is probably born of the fact that many of her peers in university had a hard time understanding her cold attitude toward the very animals who gave her power. By the same token, however, Vita will never judge anyone else for their beliefs or attitudes, letting them do their own thing so long as they grant her the same allowance.

Vita will kill anyone who stands in her way, animal or human, just as she would expect someone else to do the same were she told to stop them from doing something. Life, as far as she is concerned, is for the superior, and if you cannot fight to defend yourself and save your own life, then you simply did not deserve to live. (This is very much the same way she views animals—and life—in general.) She will not kill unless it is absolutely necessary, however, preferring instead to simply complete her task as quickly and quietly as possible.

Vita's only purpose is to continue to expand her collection, as she knows that no matter how extensive it may be, there are still genera out there that allude her. Therefore, her allegiance to SUN and Vanguard is extremely shallow; she cares nothing for Vanguard's purpose and sees them simply as a means to her own ends. Her craving for more genera drives her, though even this has been dwindling as of late.

CHARACTER SHEET - many, many thanks to Darkblade and Run Run Run for their help!
    Level 7 Hero (35 Character Points)
    Faction : Vanguard

Points in Detail :

Shape Shifting : - 18
    Enhanced Movement : - 8
    Basic Combat Training : - 6
    Vanguard Member : - 4
    Multi Linguistic : - 4
    Shifting Bodysuit : - 1
    Communicator : - 1
    Vulnerable while Transformation : + 4
    Cruelty : + 3

Resulting in : 35 Points spend

Powers :

Core-Attribute : Shape Shifting (18 Points)
    Type : Major
    Modifier : Major Increased Versatility (+2 Points)
    Feats : 18
    Absorb Mammal DNA (Alteration)
    Omnivorous (General)
    Beast Speak (General)
    Superhuman Strength (Offence)
    Claws / Hooves (Offence)
    Teeth / Tusks (Offence)
    Horns (Offence)
    Infection (Offence)
    Noxious Fluid (Offence)
    Superhuman Toughness (Defence)
    Thick Hide (Defence)
    Thick Fur (Protection from Cold / Physical Attacks) (Defence)
    Animal Reflexes (Alteration)
    Tail (Alteration)
    Camouflage (Alteration)
    Varying Size (Alteration)
    Enhanced Hold Breath (Alteration)
    Animal Senses (Includes Night Vision and Sonar) (Sensory)

Enhanced Movement (8 Points)
    Modifier : Major Reduced Versatility (-2 Points)
    Feats : 8
    Move Silently (Alteration)
    Safe Fall (Alteration)
    Enhanced Running (Movement)
    Flight (Movement)
    Jump (Movement)
    Climb (Movement)
    Dig Tunnel (Movement)
    Swim (Movement)

Traits :

Basic Combat Training (6 Points)
    Feats : 6
    Nimble Strike (Offence)
    Shoot Gun (Offence)
    Block Attack (Defence)
    Dodge Attack (Defence)
    Disarm (Alteration)
    Enhanced Reflexes (Alteration)

Vanguard Member (4 Points)
    Feats : 4
    Bio Lab Access (General)
    Computer Skills (General)
    Call for Back-Up (Alteration)
    Vanguard Transportation (Movement)

Multi Linguistic (4 Points)
    Type : Minor
    Feats : 1
    Ability to speak a vast amount of Languages (General)

Devices :

Shifting Bodysuit (1 Point)
    Modifiers: Minor Device (-1 Point)
    Bodysuit is Part of her Human DNA (General)

Communicator (1 Point)
    Communicator implanted under Skin (General)

Flaws :

Vulnerable while Transformation (4 points)
    Mid-Transformation Vulnerability (Alteration)

Cruelty (3 points)
    Uncaring of Other’s Wellbeing (Alteration)

WOUNDED WARSONG - THEME OF GENESIS - thanks Redeemer! <3

Vivixenne on
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    THE HARDY CLINICS
    Superhuman Diagnosis Division
    ========

NOTE: IF YOU'RE NOT GOING TO READ THIS POST THE WHOLE WAY THROUGH, DON'T BOTHER TRYING TO RESERVE A SPOT.

Welcome to the Hardy Clinics, a groups of hospitals founded by Diana Hardy, MD, hailed as the world's expert on superhuman development.

The Hardy Clinics as a whole are capable of taking care of anyone on the planet, from superhumans to regular humans to aliens. This particular division of the Clinics, however, is devoted to diagnosing and gauging a superhuman's full capabilities and potential.
    ========

Okay, how it works is that if you want your hero to be fully "diagnosed" (i.e., their powers will be completely fleshed out from head to toe, complete with some semi-logical explanations), all you'd have to do is visit the Hardy Clinic in-game and pay a visit to Diana Hardy.
    t
    Sometime later, you will receive something that looks like this: Diagnosic Report [GENESIS]

That will be posted both in the game itself and PM'd to you.

So what's this post all about? It's to get me a head start.

If you think your character will want to pay a visit to the Hardy Clinics at some point during the game, let me know now so that I can have a report ready for you when the time comes. You do not HAVE to let me know now; this is just so that when the game starts, I'm not instantly backlogged.

Let me explain how this process is going to work.
    ========

SO WHO CAN VISIT THE HARDY CLINIC?
    Anyone. Regardless of affiliation or ability type, anyone can pay a visit to the clinic at anytime, provided Diana Hardy herself is not deployed on a mission. The Hardy Clinics are not affiliated with SUN, the Vanguard, or any other existing faction.

ARE THERE ANY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS BEFORE I CAN MAKE AN APPOINTMENT AT THE CLINIC AND/OR COLLECT MY REPORT?
    Yes. You must be in a city that contains a branch of the Hardy Clinic (which will be thrown up when the game starts). You do not necessarily have to interact with Diana Hardy herself, but for simplicity's sake we'll just pretend she does all the diagnostics for this game.

HOW DO THE DIAGNOSTICS WORK?
    The sample report linked above gives you a good idea of how the reports will end up looking, but here is a look at the manual (rough draft) that the Hardy Clinics use to measure core traits: Core Diagnostic Manual

HOW DO I RESERVE A SPOT FOR MY CHARACTER'S FUTURE REPORT?
    PM me with a link to your character abilities and biography, along with the following information: real name, codename, height, weight, hair, eyes, gender, place of birth, date of birth. Your bio MUST include your alignment and current occupation. You do not need to include your character sheet, but it doesn't hurt to throw that in as well.

Anything that is missing will be deemed as you failing to read and understand this post and tough fucking titties but you will not be added to the appointment listing. Thank you, come again.

IS THIS THE SAME AS THE HELP YOU'RE OFFERING WITH SUPERHERO DEVELOPMENT?
    No, it's not, since the superhero development (i.e., helping you with bios and powers) comes BEFORE the game begins. Feel free to ask for both.

HOW DO I KNOW IF I'VE BEEN ACCEPTED FOR AN APPOINTMENT?
    Check the list at the end of this post.

CAN I JOIN THE HARDY CLINIC AS AN EMPLOYEE?
    Yes. Whether you are a human character or a superhuman character, anyone can ask to be a part of the Hardy Clinic. I'm not sure at present what your character will be able to do per Issue, but I'll come up with something interesting once Pony's wiki comes out.

DIAGNOSTIC APPOINTMENT LIST - ordered by priority
    Genesis
    Blak Magik
    Cruor
    Redeemer
    Heavyweight
    Wordsmith
    Glitch
    Enzyme
    The Face
    Golem
    Slam

Vivixenne on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Hahaha, five threads before the game. I fucking called it.

DarkPrimus on
    edited June 2007
    Need help with a character's abilities or biography? Does your character look bland? Unconvincing? Cliche? Overpowered? Underpowered? Kinda faggy?

PM me with a link to your character's draft profile, specify which bits you want touched up, and I'll see what I can do to help you out.

If you want to see what I can do, below is a list of the Character Abilities/Biographies I have done for others:

NOTE: I don't do character sheets. Because I suck at them.

UPDATES:
    - If you ask me to do both biographies and powers, I will start with your powers and reinsert your bio request into the queue when the power profile is complete.
    - If you ask me to do a biography, PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD HAVE SOME KIND OF ALIGNMENT IN MIND. This makes my life easier and your character better.

- NO MORE REQUESTS WILL BE ENTERTAINED AFTER THE 16TH. If you'd made a request before the 16th and haven't gotten it by then, you will still get it when it's done. No one new will be added to the queue after the 16th.

Vivixenne on
    edited June 2007
    VivBot '07: Now running Vista!

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Codename: Wordsmith
    Place of Birth: East London, South Africa
    Height: 5' 11”
    Weight: 156 lb
    Hair: Copper
    Eyes: Hazel
    wordsmithfu4.png

Ranedos art:
    wordsmith2.png

Abilities:
    Linguikenesis. Wordsmith is able to transform the spoken word into a weapon via a mystical force dubbed "the Lexicon". He is also omnilingual, instantly fluent in any language he reads or hears spoken.

The effects of the Lexicon vary depending on the word or phrase spoken, the volume of the voice, and most importantly, the intention behind the words themselves. The power's effect must manifest within a 30 foot radius of Wordsmith, and the farthest his ranged attacks can travel is 300 yards. The manifestations are invisible and emit no sound, but Wordsmith knows the exact location of any Lexicon effects at all times. The Lexicon also operates a sort of "sixth sense", warning him of possible dangers in close proximity to him.

A side-effect of the Lexicon is that Wordsmith's thoughts are comprised of hundreds of languages, which renders him highly resistant to telepaths.

Wordsmith has training in martial arts and hand to hand combat both from his time in the UAE Foreign Legion and while working with the Vanguard. He has also been trained to use pistols and small arms, although he avoids using them.

Limitations:
    Wordsmith has normal human strength and durability. His durability is boosted somewhat by a Vanguard-issue protection suit he wears under his clothing.

In the heat of battle, he finds it hard to think of more complicated words that he could use. He tries to counter this by carrying lists of convenient words in pouches on his person.

The power's effect must manifest within a 30 foot radius of Wordsmith. The power has been known to be activated by others' voices, when Wordsmith was rendered unable to speak. It does not, however, work with 100% efficency, and recorded voices do not work with his power at all.

He cannot use the same activation phrase more than twice in a twenty-four hour period.

Biography:
    Nicholas was born the son of a successful textile exporter. He grew up enjoying a privilaged life, and began to receive tutelage in several languages at a very early age, in preparation for him to eventually inheret the buisness from his father. Then came the Anathema invasion. As waves of devesation washed over the continent, his family liquidated their assets for at a fraction of their worth and used the money to flee to the Middle East, ending up in the United Arab Emeriates. At the age of 15, he was conscripted into the UAE foreign legion under newly-passed regulations in response to the scope of the war and the massive tide of refugees.

He was helping clear the national museum out for use as an emergency garrison when an Anathema scouting party attacked. A tablet in the crate he had been packing began to glow and Nicholas heard a voice, speaking simultaniously in every language that Nicholas understood and several that he did not. “Nabu's blessing is upon you. You have been chosen to be His champion. Cry out for the death of His enemies, so that they may die.” Power rushed into his body, and Nicholas cried out in pain. He could feel a force lash out from him and tear the hapless invaders to piece. Then he blacked out, and when he came to, he found himself being carried out on a stretcher by UAE soldiers. They were trading fearful conversation back and forth in their tribal dialect, but Nicholas could understand them clearly. Then he opened his mouth to speak, and was shocked to hear the same language come out.

He was studied by dozens of scientists, but they could not find anything physically different with him. During the tests, it was found that not only could Nicholas comprehend and utilize both written and spoken forms of virtually any language, but that he could use words themselves as weapons. By saying words or phrases with a clear intention of action in his mind, the mystical force that he had been inbued with could undertake any number of physical actions, from allowing him to punch through steel or jump twenty-foot walls to protecting him from damage and even striking at an enemy from afar. It was also discovered during this period of time that despite the ability to activate the power with any language, the same trigger phrase could only be used twice in a twenty-four hour period, and that the force's (affectionately dubbed “the Lexicon”) field of effect extended to thirty feet from his body.

Nicholas spent the remainder of the war defending the UAE from the Anathema, and was invited to join Vanguard shortly after the foundation of the SUN. He has no set base of operations, moving from hotspot to hotspot as needed, but he secretly wishes to return to his boyhood home in South Africa and live quietly, translating whatever obscure texts he can get his hands on.

Nicholas' (not Wordsmith's) blog:
    http://travellingtranslator.blogspot.com/

I don't like reposting this in every thread (in fact I didn't repost it in the v4 one) but I might very well make a revision once the Wiki hits.

DarkPrimus on
    edited June 2007
    Zealot
    Zealot.jpg

Abilities: Zealot possesses flight, healing abilities (for both himself and others), moderate super-strength, and limited precognitive abilities.

Through unknown means, the magnitude of Zealot's powers seemingly increase based upon the strength of his religious and personal convictions. No biological or mystical cause has been discovered for this phenomenon, so it is presumed to be a by-product of the as yet unknown means by which Zealot manifested his abilities.

The sword and shield that Zealot carries have proven nigh-unbreakable, though they are apparently crafted of ordinary alloys. Once again, no discernable cause has been discovered for this puzzling occurance.

Biography: Daniel Willis was born in rural Virginia, August 1987. An only child, he was taught one lesson above all else: God had a plan for everyone. He was twelve years old when an Anathema dimensional gateway appeared approximately thirty-two miles from his home.

It is currently unknown exactly how Daniel managed to survive the encounter that took the lives of his parents. Official documents reveal his admittance to a nearby refugee center on January 23rd, 2000. Like many of the children there, Daniel was now an orphan. He seldom ate or spoke, prefering to spend his time alone in his bunkhouse or the makeshift communal chapel. His caregivers are on record describing him as "[unusually] quiet ... doesn't seem to respond to any [treatment] at all."

Daniel remained in the refugee center until the end of the conflict in 2004, at which time he was placed in foster care. He was released upon his 18th birthday, and was given his own house thanks to the Citizen Resettlement Act of 2005 (One of Vanguard's first programs enacted after taking power). His home was almost spartan in appearance: the only furnishings were a simple mattress and the bare minimum of a kitchen. Willis spent very little time at home. Instead, he spent nearly nineteen hours a day sitting silently in the pews of a local church. According to those that knew him, Daniel repeated this process every day for nearly eighteen years.

While we know little of how his powers manifested, (see subject file #127 (attached below) for Willis' own account of the event) it is generally believed that it occurred between August and November of 2018. Since then, Willis has made a name for himself as "Zealot", a moniker placed upon him by local newspaper The Daily Sentinel.

subject file #127 - " 'Zealot' origin " (security clearance: 2)

" 'God has a plan.' That's what they always told me. It sounded good back then. Reassuring. Your parents always knew everything, right? But what happens to the plan when your family is taken from you by-- by them?

Anathema. We were too scared to call them what they really are, so we came up with Anathema. A demon is a demon, regardless if it's made of bone or metal. Does that surprise you? To see that some people still 'think that way'? Not everybody's been blinded by Vanguard's dazzling science, you know.

We should have known it was coming. All the warning signs were there if you just knew where to look. (He scoffs.) All we had to do was look up at the sky. Look up at those that flew about in gaudy outfits, proclaiming themselves gods. Did they honestly believe He would not pass judgment on them?

My parents... They weren't spared. But I was. Why? Why was I condemned to live in this new world of blood and metal and fear? I prayed for guidance, but it fell on deaf ears. In those early times, I came close... very close to giving up. I simply wanted to curse God for my misery and end my life by any means necessary. Only those four words stopped me. Those four words saved my life--and my soul--more times than I would like to admit. 'God has a plan.'

So I waited. I waited for God to reveal his plan to me; to finally give me purpose. For nearly eighteen years, I waited.

My prayers were finally answered in a vision. I was told of a great cataclysm in the near future that threatens to destroy this world, and that I must do whatever it takes to prevent this Apocalypse. I was placed back on Earth as the avatar of the Archangel Michael, carrying his sword and shield and wearing the holy raiments you now see me in.

Know this: my purpose in this world is to prevent this Armageddon from ever taking place. I don't care who tries to stop me. Nothing, nothing will stay my hand. God has a plan. It will be carried out. "
    (END OF FILE)

Character Sheet
    Zealot
    Level 6 Hero (30 / 30 points)
    Faction: Neutral

Powers
    Core Attribute - Power of Faith (10 points)
    Modifier: Major Reduced Versatility (-2 Feats) (-2 points)
    Feats (12 / 16):
    Increase Strength (Alteration)
    Wrath of God (Offense)
    Rain of Fire (Offense) (Indiscriminate) (-2 points)
    Lightning Strike (Offense)
    Exorcism (Offense) (Major Limited: Magic users) (+2 Feats)
    Shield Bash (Alteration) (Dependant: Shield of St. Michael) (+2 Feats)
    Parry (Alteration) (Dependant: Sword of St. Michael)
    Reclaim Sword (Alteration)
    Reclaim Shield (Alteration)
    Unbreakable (Defense)
    Deny Magic (Alteration)
    Immune to Fire (Alteration)

Essence of the Archangel (6 points)
    Modifier: Major Reduced Versatility (-2 Feats) (-2 points)
    Feats (6 / 6):
    Fist of the Heavens (Offense)
    Cleanse Wound (Defense)
    Laying of Hands (Heal others) (Alteration)
    Flight (Movement)
    Rise Above (Defense)
    Tower of Babel (General)

Prophet of Doom (4 points)
    Feats (2 / 4):
    Apocalyptic Vision (General)
    Foresight (Defense)

Traits
    Devout (6 points)
    Feats (3 / 6):
    Convert (Alteration)
    Iron Will (Defense)
    Impenetrable Mind (Alteration)

Devices
    Sword of St. Michael (5 points)
    Modifier: Device (-1 point)
    Feats (1 / 1):
    Smite (Offense)

Shield of St. Michael (5 points)
    Modifier: Device (-1 point)
    Feats (1 / 1):
    Defend (Defense)

Flaws
    Crisis of Faith (-6 points)
    Feats (1 / 1):
    Negate Power of Faith (Alteration)

Challenge
    Blasphemy
    Feats (1 / 1):
    Insult Faith (Alteration)

Green on
    edited June 2007
    Pulse (Back-up character / NPC)
    Pulse.jpg

Abilities: Complete control of any and all sonic vibrations emitted by his body. This ranges from being able to crack concrete with a shout to breaking glass by cracking his knuckles. In contrast, he can also render himself virtually inaudible; useful for sneaking up on unsuspecting opponents or quickly fleeing a battle.

These sonic vibrations can be tuned to any frequency, allowing him to selectively speak with any individual in a crowded room or bypass any sonics-based security device.

The particular effect of any vibration is directly affected by both volume and origin point. For example: a shout is a loud attack projected at a single target, whereas a clap of his hands is quieter but has a much larger radius.

Pulse can only affect the sonic vibrations caused by or directly influenced by his own body. For example: while Inaudible, Pulse can silence the sounds of his breathing, footsteps, and clothes. However, if a coin were to fall out of his pocket and strike the ground, or if his pocket change clinked together, these sounds would be unaffected by the ability.

Aside from this power, Pulse possesses the normal attributes of a physically fit human.

Biography: Seemingly born with his power, Chase Michaelson was the only child of a well-to-do family. Due to his parents' affluence and his own burgeoning abilities, Chase literally got whatever he wanted; money, girls, power, anything. Due to his constantly picking fights with classmates and lack of interest in his own education, he was soon expelled from both public and private school alike.

After reaching adolesence, Chase grew bored with his life at home and took to the streets. He proved gifted at such crimes as "armed" robbery and carjacking, easily disabling or evading any police that happened to arrive on the scene.

He sees no reason to join either side in the conflict, so long as his own life of fun is not interrupted. Of course, if Vanguard made him a tempting offer, he could be persuaded to join up.

Character Sheet
    Pulse
    Level 5 Villain (25 points)
    Faction: Neutral

Powers
    Core Attribute - Sonic Manipulation (14 points)
    Modifier: Major Increased Versatility (2 points)
    Feats (12):
    Shout (Offense)
    Clap (Offense)
    Stomp (Offense)
    Stun (Defense)
    Inaudible (Defense)
    Misdirection (Defense)
    Shatter Projectile (Defense)
    Sound It Out (Look for weaknesses, used before Shutdown) (General)
    Shutdown (Destroy electronic Device / Damage robotic opponents) (Offense)
    Disrupt Communications (General)
    Private Chat (General)
    Detect Frequency (Sensory)

Traits
    Street Punk (10 points)
    Feats (5):
    Pickpocket (Steal Device) (General)
    Grand Theft Auto (Movement)
    Improvise Weapon (Alteration)
    Fight Dirty (Use Device) (Offense)
    Lockpick (General)

Ladies' Man (1 point)
    Feats (1):
    Charm (General)

Devices
    Standard Equipment (2 points)
    Modifier: Device (-2 points)
    Feats (4):
    Brass Knuckles (Alteration)
    Chain (Alteration)
    Iron Pipe (Alteration)
    Switchblade (Alteration)

Flaws
    Cocky (-2 points)
    Feats (1):

Green on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    hay guys what could this mean i wonder:

ravenparadox.jpg

Pony on
    edited June 2007
    Freeeefallllllin.jpg
    Heavyweight
    Biography(With thanks to Viv):
    Jim was flagged as a mutant from the day he was born, with the well-known Dr. Diana Hardy's warning that his powers would manifest at approximately 6 years of age and her assurance that it was not a dangerous power by any means.

At the age of six, Jim was trying to tell a friend about a song he heard that he particularly liked. He unwittingly played the song directly in his friend's ear, and the reverberations (which he could not control at such a young age) blew out his eardrum. Turns out, Jim's ability was to generate any sound he had heard whose source was at any point within his line of sight, but Dr. Hardy appeared to have miscalculated the situation in which the power would manifest.

Traumatized by his experience and following another meeting with Dr. Hardy (in which she explained his sonic power in greater detail), Jim's father had a paid of noise-cancelling earphones custom-made for Jim, drowning out all the sound around him so that he can no longer inadvertently use it as a weapon. Jim also chose to use sign language to communicate instead of speaking, as he even feared being able to hear his own voice.

This voluntary deafness actually accelerated the development of his secondary ability. On a field trip to NASA with his 8th grade class, they were asked to walk along a narrow, elevated walkway on the way to an astronaut training facility. A construction crane that was setting up a new simulator bent and creaked out of control for no apparent reason and fell directly in the direction of the students. Jim, unable to hear the screams, warning, or even the creak of the falling crane, was the only not to duck out of the crane's way. Jim was knocked off the walkway and slammed into an artificial gravity simulator.

The combination of Jim's mutant genetics, a damaged simulator, and sheer chance led to what Diana Hardy would term "the least likely of all the possible outcomes that could have manifested from this combination." Jim now possessed his own field of artificial gravity, genetically grafted into his body.

He awoke in the hospital three days after the incident, with Dr. Hardy at his bedside and the remains of his shattered earphones beside him. Quickly, before he could panic, Hardy began to tell him in sign language that he could not hide behind his earphones forever, and that he could control his abilities with just a little bit of effort. She then spoke aloud, telling him about his new, gravity-manipulating ability.

From there a very personal connection with Dr. Hardy sprouted, with Jim leaning on her for support in learning to control two new abilities at once (as he'd never tried to use his sonic power, it technically came as something new). Dr Hardy herself took interest in Jim, owing to the very unique and unlikely circumstances that led to his current state, as well as puzzling out the cause and source of his abilities.

Thanks to Dr. Hardy's assistance, Jim lived a pretty uneventful life until the Anathema invasion. Dr Hardy was whisked away to assist the Vanguard while Jim himself feared for his family. In an attempt to escape their town following announcements that alien soldiers were advancing in their direction, their car was targeted and subsequently destroyed. Jim leapt out, but his parents weren't so lucky; his father died in the blast and his mother was split in half trying to jump out the window a second too late.

The Anathema assault vehicle then turned its sights on him, charging forward, intending to run him over in his vulnerable state. Jim cowered, screwing his eyes shut, waiting for his death…only to have nothing happened. His eyes opened to see that the vehicle had stopped a few feet away from him, engine still running, wheels spinning, but the vehicle itself was not advancing, frozen in place. Instinctively, Jim knew what to do. He pushed back.

Cut off from all of his support, from his parents to Dr. Hardy, timid, mild-mannered Jim was now thrown into a live-or-die situation every way he turned. He did not actively fight the aliens, but he did use his abilities to stay alive and defend himself when necessary. He spent many nights in a deep depression, praying for someone—anyone—to extend a helping hand to him.

Following the invasion, he found himself miles away from his home, not knowing a soul in the area thanks to his introverted self. He spent two years following the invasion working as a quiet photographer for a small, local newspaper, not really doing anything with himself aside from surviving. He craved friendships, people to get close to, but he was terrified of them, always thinking back to the day he had deafened his own friend and, in spite of his increased control over his abilities, did not want to risk such a thing happening again. That's when Dr. Hardy found him and asked him to join Vanguard.

Excited about the prospect of basically being handed a plate of friends who have shared some of his experiences, Jim agreed, adopted Heavyweight as his codename, and now boasts the Vanguard insignia proudly on his chest, fighting in the memory of his mother and father.

He is not a heroic figure, just a quiet man who doesn't want to see anyone get hurt. In many ways he is still a shy loner, but he has since found a team who backs him on everything and who he deems his closest friends. He lives almost religiously by his own code of personal responsibility and accountability, promising never to hurt an innocent victim again and punishing the people he views as the kind of person he once was: someone who had hurt a person who didn't deserve it.

Character Sheet (With thanks to Quetzi):
    Heavyweight
    Level 6 Hero (30 Character Points)
    Faction: Vanguard, Team Leader of Pro-Vanguard H.U.G.

Powers

Core Attribute-Gravity Field Control (12 Points)
    Modifiers: Major Reduced Versatility (-2 Points)
    Feats (6):
    Increase Weight (Alteration)
    Decrease Weight (Alteration)
    Bomb's Away! (Offense)
    Bullets? They feel like BB's. (Defense)
    I can Fly! (Movement)
    Earthquake! (Offense)
    Buoyant (Movement)
    Paperweight/Pin Down(Offense)

Sound Generation (8 Points)
    Feats (2):
    Generate Sound at Enemy (Offense)
    Generate Distraction (Alteration)
    Overstimulate (Alteration)
    Resonate Frequency (Offense)
    Mimic Voice (General)
    Amplify (Alteration)

Traits

Kickboxing (4 Points)
    Feats (6):
    Kickboxing Strike (Offense)
    Roll with the Punches (Defense)
    Trip (Offense)
    Grapple (Alteration)
    Cheap Shot (Alteration)
    Duck and Weave (Defense)

Bilingual (1 Point)
    Feats(1):
    Fluent in Sign Language(General)

Vanguard Agent (2 Points)
    Feats (2):
    Call for Reinforcements (Alteration)
    Arrest Criminal (General)

H.U.G. Leader (2 Points)
    Feats(2):
    Call for Back-Up (Alteration)
    HUG Transport (Movement)

Reporter (1 Points)
    Feats(1):
    Investigative Journalism (Sensory)

Devices

Vanguard/H.U.G. Communicator (1 Point)
    Modifier: Device (-1 Point)
    Feats(1):
    Call Vanguard/H.U.G. Members (General)

Flaws

Fear of Powers (-1 Points)
    Feats(1):
    I don't want to kill anybody! (Alteration)

Bleeding Heart (-1 Point)
    Feats(1):
    Watch out for the civillians! (Alteration)

Challenges

Secret Identity
    Feats(1):
    Threaten to Reveal Identity (Alteration)

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
    edited June 2007
    Pony wrote: »

ravenparadox.jpg

All ravens are black
    and All non-black things are not ravens?

No clue.

Zombot on
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Glitch, present and accounted for.
    Why aren't I on that list of characters up there?

POSTERS:
    unifiedglitchxb8.jpg

boogeymanposterhi4.jpg

genesisposterop0.jpg

unifiedcruorpe6.jpg

#pipe on
    edited June 2007
    Zombot wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »

ravenparadox.jpg

All ravens are black
    and All that is black are not ravens?

No clue.

Actually

"All ravens are black. All non-black things are not ravens."

Pony on
    edited June 2007
    t haspipe: because you're a whiny little vagina.

Vivixenne on
    edited June 2007
    All ravens are black

All not-black things are not-ravens?

Hempel's paradox?

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
    edited June 2007
    All ravens are black. All non-black things are not ravens.

EDIT: FUCK

Green on
    edited June 2007
    blankspace wrote: »
    All ravens are black

All not-black things are not-ravens?

Hempel's paradox?

;)

written in german

hm

Pony on
    edited June 2007
    #pipe.
    I love that Genesis and Boogyman poster.

Zombot on
  • RedeemerRedeemer Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    REDEEMER

SUPER POWERS: phasing and flight

Date of Birth: 10/12/2000
    Place of Birth: South Ashfield, Maine
    Height: 5'10
    Weight: 150 lbs
    Hair: Black
    Affiliation: Neutral

Henry's Blog

Powers & Usage
    Abilities: Can render himself intangible and phase completely through solid matter with no harm to either. Also has the power of self-propelled flight.

Limitations: Activating his phasing ability while in flight leaves him in a state of disorientation and fatigue. He is temporarily able 'share' his phasing ability with others through physical contact, but breaking that contact immediately halts the ability in the other person (or object).

Redeemer is only able to remain in a phased state for up to 8.2 minutes at a time (maximum).

Usage: Phasing allows him to pass through most solid objects by way of shifting the space between atoms as he's moving through. Both he and the object remain essentially untouched after having phased through it. As was noted in Limitations, he can share his phasing ability with another person or object as long as physical contact is maintained. His phasing ability also allows him to remain essentially immune to attacks by telepaths and psychics.

If enough concentration is allowed, Redeemer is able to leave people or objects essentially 'stuck' (rather than messily fused) in another larger object. For instance, if Redeemer were to phase a rubber ball inside of a wall and then let go, the default reaction is a fusion of the molecules in the object with the atoms in the wall. But with intense focus, Redeemer can essentially 'push aside' the surrounding molecules within the wall, thereby trapping the phased object inside of it. (if this doesn't make any sense, just picture the scene in X3 where Kitty traps Juggernaut in the floor)

This tactic is mainly used by Redeemer as a non-gruesome way to trap criminals without killing them.

Since moving through objects in his intangible form disrupts the flow of electrons, his phasing interferes with any electrical systems he passes through.

His flight ability is derived from his phasing ability, as phasing allows him to interact with air molecules. Because of this, he can levitate and remain static above ground, but an exertion of self-propelled force is what allows him to actually take flight. While levitating he is intangible, but when activating flight, he becomes solid again.

As was noted in Limitations, phasing while in flight does leave him in a state of disorientation, but with enough concentration, focus, and practice, this handicap can be overcome.

Beyond his powers, Redeemer has marginal strength over that of an average male his age, and is adept at basic martial arts.

Biography

redeemervv8.png

Henry Townshend was born into a wealthy upperclass family and lived a relatively carefree and normal life until his powers manifested in his early teens. He became intoxicated with his newfound abilities and resorted to a secret life of thievery. He brought along his twin sister to a robbery but were trapped by cops. Trying to escape, he phased himself and his sister through a brick wall. But for a reason he has yet to divulge (other than "it was an accident", though many believe there was a significant reason that he's hiding), he let go of his sister as she was halfway through the wall, killing her immediately and gruesomely.

Henry quickly became depressed and fearful of his own powers, and fled his life and family to start over in New York CIty. Soon after moving in to his new place, a pyrokinetic accidentally set fire to his apartment building. Confronted with the dire situation, Henry tried to use his powers to save others, but due to his emotional block, found it impossible to 'phase'. A group of superheroes eventually saved the day, and, inspired by their bravery, Henry began to teach himself how to use his powers again - for good only.

After a deep conversation with some hot-to-trot popular superhero, Henry realised that everyone bestowed with powers - for whatever reason - has a social responsibility to protect and defend. He created a costume for himself and for a codename settled on 'Redeemer', believing it to be simultaneously heroic and personal. He was, however, unaware of the religious connotation the name had by the time of his choosing it, and thus has received an outspoken (and decidedly mixed) reaction from his city's religious community.

As Redeemer, Henry tries to maintain an affable, funny personality that the public can trust and like. However, since the incident with his sister, he remains hesitant to phase others, unless it's a life-or-death situation.

While he is firmly on the side of good, Henry does not believe the government should have total control over superhuman activity, but he also does not care for what he perceives as careless vigilantilism of the Resistance-run rebels. He maintains that the only enemies superheroes should have are those that threaten public safety, and not fellow heroes. Thus, he remains a neutral.

Redeemer has a strict policy against killing foes, although if absolutely necessary he is willing to use his powers to threaten an enemy into submission.

Henry is currently employed as a photojournalist at The Daily Sentinel, where he maintains a professional relationship with staff reporter Jim Strummard (aka Heavyweight), though neither Henry nor Jim are aware of each other's secret identities.

Character Sheet (courtesy of Run Run Run)
    Redeemer

Level 5 Neutral (25 Character Points)
    Faction : Independent

Points in Detail :

Phasing : - 10
    Basic Martial Arts Training : - 8
    Journalist : - 4
    Former Thief : - 4
    Journalist’s Equipment : - 2
    Motor Scooter : - 3
    No Killing Policy : + 3
    Troubled Past : + 2
    Dizziness : + 1

Resulting in : 25 Points spend

Powers :

Core-Attribute : Phasing (10 Points)
    Feats : 10
    Leave People stuck in Solid Matter (Offence)
    Objects pass through Him (Defence)
    Non-Energetic (Magic etc.) Attacks pass through Him (Fire, Ice etc.) (Defence)
    Psychic Immunity (Alteration)
    Interfere with Electrical Systems (Alteration)
    Turn Others / Objects Intangible (Alteration)
    Breathless while Phasing (Alteration)
    Phase through Solid Matter (Movement)
    Self-Propelled Flight (Movement)
    Levitation (Movement)

Traits :

Basic Martial Arts Training (8 Points)
    Feats : 8
    Nimble Strike (Offence)
    Crushing Kick (Offence)
    Block Attack (Defence)
    Dodge Attack (Defence)
    Disarm (Alteration)
    Hold Enemy (Alteration)
    Enhanced Reflexes (Alteration)
    Defensive Roll (Movement)

Journalist (4 Points)
    Computer Skills (General)
    Access to The Daily Sentinel Files (Sensory)
    Press Contacts (Sensory)
    Press Card (Movement)

Former Thief (4 Points)
    Pick Pocket (Alteration)
    Pick Locks (Alteration)
    Move Silently (Alteration)
    Climb Buildings (Movement)

Devices :

Journalist’s Equipment (2 Points)
    Modifiers: Major Device (-2 Points)
    Communicator (General)
    High Tech Infra Red Camera (General)
    Laptop (General)
    Concealable Microphone and Recorder (Sensory)

Motor Scooter (3 Points)
    Drive Motor Scooter (Movement)

Flaws :

No Killing Policy (3 Points)
    Unwilling to kill Foes (Alteration)

Troubled Past (2 Points)
    Reluctant to Share Phasing Abilities (General)

Dizziness(1 Point)
    Short Time Disorientation after Phased Flight (Alteration)

Character Pictures (City of Hero screenshots, thanks Scooter)
    redeemer1.JPG

redeemer2.JPG

redeemer3.JPG

The Astonishing Redeemer #1
    Issue Cover
    545014407_3c46df16f3_o.png

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
    edited June 2007
    ......Oh christ

I am imagining terrifying things in Munich right now.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    All ravens are black

Not all black things are ravens

Man I suck

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Man, Blank.

Fuck you. :x

It is simple. The German is simply a distraction.

Ravens have beards. Beards are facial hair, facial hair is manly, and being manly is awesome.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    t haspipe: because you're a whiny little vagina.

:|

#pipe on
    edited June 2007
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    Man, Blank.

Fuck you. :x

It is simple. The German is simply a distraction.

Ravens have beards. Beards are facial hair, facial hair is manly, and being manly is awesome.
    and so Edgar Allen Poe's corpse weeps.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
    edited June 2007
    Pony if this all leads up to some dude named Poe doing shit in Munich I will cry.

I hate Ravens.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
    edited June 2007
    Hmmm...maybe those black tentacle things are in Germany?

I really haven't a clue.

Zombot on
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Green wrote: »
    Ahahaha, blankspace was totally cockblocked by Viv

Also, does anyone else realize that we've spent 400+ pages discussing this?

*cough* pokemon threads *cough*

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
    edited June 2007
    I don't know why everyone is till confused about Munich.

two words.
    ZOMBIE HITLER

#pipe on
    edited June 2007
    #pipe wrote: »
    I don't know why everyone is till confused about Munich.

two words.
    ZOMBIE HITLER
    Man, Pony has said he has plans for Herr Führer, but I doubt he'd be that cliche.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
    edited June 2007
    I love ravens.

Vivixenne on
    edited June 2007
    "The Raven Paradox, also known as Hempel's Paradox or Hempel's Ravens is a paradox proposed by the German logician Carl Gustav Hempel in the 1940s to illustrate a problem where inductive logic violates intuition. It reveals the problem of induction.

Hempel describes the paradox in terms of a hypothesis that all ravens are black. This statement is equivalent, in logical terms, to the statement that all non-black things are non-ravens. If one were to observe many ravens and find that they were all black, one's belief in the statement that all ravens are black would increase. But if one were to observe many red apples, and concur that all non-black things are non-ravens, one would still become more sure that all ravens are black.

The origin of the paradox lies in the fact that the statements "all Ravens are black" and "all non-black things are non-ravens" are indeed equivalent, while the act of finding a black raven is not at all equivalent to finding a non-black non-raven."

Pony on
    edited June 2007
    So, who's not a raven

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
This discussion has been closed.