Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[UNIFIED] DISCUSSION (v5)

VivixenneVivixenne aDAWRable!Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Singularity Engine++
unifiedonesheetem5.jpg
Spoiler:

WIKI AND SIGNUPS GET THE GREEN LIGHT ON JUNE 16TH, 2007. Stop fucking asking, sheesh.

What is Unified?
Unified is a forum-based multiplayer RPG. It is designed to accomodate a large quantity of players, of varying levels of involvement and interest.
It will be run in Of Dice and Men, Penny Arcade's tabletop/RPG forum, starting June 16th.
Is there a time commitment?
No, not really. The game is not "real-time", nor does it require you to be online at certain times, or adhere to a certain number of posts per week. A person can actively participate in the game with only checking in once or twice a week and making a handful of posts.

How many players will be involved?
That is still undecided. The game has thus far generated massive interest, far beyond what I expected at this point, so I'm still figuring out the number of players that I will have. Theoretically the game can have an unlimited number of players, but for practicality purposes I will probably have a hard cap for the number of players at the start of the game, and I will expand it later.

What is the setting like?
The setting of Unified is quite unique. It takes place in an alternate history, in the year 2019. Before the year 2000, the world of Unified was one similar to many other comic book superheroic settings: A world of powerful heroes and diabolic villains, with the fate of the world in the balance.
In the year 2000, that changed: A race of alien robotic creatures called the Anathema invaded Earth from another dimension, and it was only thanks to Earth's mightiest heroes that the world was saved. However, in the aftermath of this nearly-apocalyptic event, those same heroes decided that the best thing for the world's safety would be to take it over.
Now, 15 years later, the Singular Unified Nation (S.U.N.) is ruled with an iron-fist by the superhuman paragon Ultimatum. His superpowered army/police force, the Vanguard, maintain order and recruit nascent superhumans to their ranks. There are many other factions, powers, and stories at work in this world as well.

What game mechanics system does it use?
Unified uses it's own system, designed by me specifically for both this campaign and the environment it will be played in. It is designed to be optimized for forum-based roleplaying, and the combat system in particular is designed to be both dynamic and simple, allowing for a great amount of creativity while still maintaining a basic structure keeping it as an actual game instead of just a piece of collaberative fiction.

Where can I find out more about the setting and/or the game system?
A great wealth of info can be gained by reading this preview thread, and the one before it. There is no single summary post that explains everything. I am currently working on a PBWiki database, which will go up in a few weeks, and will allow you to search for any element of the game mechanics or setting you need to know about, in one easily referenced resource. When that wiki goes up, I'll relate an announcement to it.

How do I create a character? I see a lot of people have created characters already, complete with stats.
People are far more advanced and clever than I really had considered when I made the original preview thread. Based on the Q&A and previews I've posted sporadically through-out this thread, clever posters have managed to discern and try to intuit aspects of the game mechanics and in many cases have gotten a lot right.
Some posters have even created summary posts, trying to assemble a rough idea of how character creation works. Ultimately, I suggest that you don't worry about it too much. While it may seem some other people are way ahead of the curve than you, nobody is truly locked into the game yet and no character stats posted should be considered final, approved, or official.

So what's this thread for, then?
This is a preview thread. It's designed to create interest and drum up anticipation. Think of it like a movie trailer or a onesheet poster (many examples of which have been posted through-out the thread). I've engaged in Q&A about the game world and mechanics spontaneously through-out the thread, and if you just look around, you can find out all kinds of interesting information.

Characters:

Fedora
blankspace247
Quetzi
Anjin-San
Scrumtrulescent
Green
Vivixenne
DarkPrimus
commie
SA
Favlaud
Darkblade_1
Rankenphile
ZeroZero
Harrier
Wiggin
Core
Wearingglasses
Fallout
Mr. Shine
Darkseid
CableCarrier
Kusugattai
Redeemer
Zombot
Mysst
mrpaku
Langly
Captain Cthulhu
Butler
Bendery
Lost2knight
sarakun
Cosmic Sombrero
Curly_Brace
Inquisitor
Utsanomiko
Lardalish
SeafoodSoup
<3
MadEddy
Run Run Run
Scooter
KingMole
#pipe
Reynolds
Last Updated at Man Seriously Does it Even Matter

COMBAT EXAMPLE
Pony's posted a sample combat post. Check it out HERE.

TENTATIVE ORGANIZATIONS:

The Offices:

The International Offices of Extrajudicial Execution, a division of Penumbra Inc (a company which does not actually even exist except for these purposes), more commonly known as The Offices, is an organization specializing in hired assassination work. They provide quality service and good clean deaths, with a specialization in superhuman and metahuman jobs. We're always looking for members, so if you think you have what it takes (lack of morals, sneaky skills), then PM Quetzi, the founding member. If you wish to hire The Offices for any job, the instructions to do so are here.

The Heroes United Group:
The premier Vanguard Beta through Gamma Zone Field Team. As you may have heard, we lost a good deal of our members a few months ago. Don't believe that this means we have lost our way. The all-new HUG is just as good, if not better than the old HUG. If you want to apply, please send a message to Heavyweight or Golem via your local Vanguard Agency.

-Heavyweight.

Here is the current HUG roster:

Active Team:
Heavyweight
Golem
Splice
Plasmatic
Dr. Insector

Reserves:
The Swashbuckler
The Elementalist
Genesis
Zeittaucher
Avicenna

The Ring of Gyges:

Information Pending.

Loosely Affiliated:
"The 54th St. Boogeyman"
"Caleb Riker"
"The Face"

Last Updated at 8:03PM Wednesday, May 23, 2007

ATTN NEWBS:

Need help with your character? Viv has you covered.

Need a character sheet? Darkblade has a resource you should look over.

Need a point of reference for your character sheet? Fedora chimes in with some info previously given by Pony.

Want a specialized Hardy Clinic Profile? Viv swings and hits one out of the park for you!*

*There is a waiting list.

Here are two of the most powerful characters in the game, again provided by Fedora:

Ultimatum
Spoiler:

Crius; Ruler of Greece, Titan of Old
Spoiler:

Fedora Art*:

Ultimatum
Spoiler:

Plasmatic
Spoiler:

HeavyWeight
Spoiler:

54th st. Boogeyman
Spoiler:

*STOP SWAMPING HIM YOU BASTARDS

SOUNDS OF THE WAR

UNIFIED SOUNDTRACK:
The Song of the Drifter [Pony]: http://www.padrehq.com/favlaud/Sounds/DrifterSong.mp3
Anathema Attacks [Redeemer]: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=SFEX95PM

Themes By Redeemer:
Wounded Warsong (Theme of Genesis)
Agent Provocateur (Theme of Magpie)
Risen (Theme of Cruor)
Stone Guardian (Theme of Heavyweight)
If Nothing Matters (Theme of Blak Magik)
Whisper (Theme of The Face)
The Good Old Days (Theme of Peal)
Nocturne (Theme of Volje)
White Noise (Theme of Forever Zero)
Venus (Theme of La Espina)
The Tome of Eternity (Theme of Wordsmith)
Requiem Eyes (Theme of Bacunawa)
A Stray Child (Theme of Redeemer)

I will include a complete list of all the composed theme songs thus far; DO NOT PM ME WITH YOUR LINKS UNLESS IT WAS NOT DONE BY REDEEMER.

I will ask for a list of links from Redeemer himself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here it is, the fifth and DEFINITELY LAST Unified thread before the game starts up. The OP will NOT be updated as often as previous threads; I will only update it to include whatever Pony wants to add.

If you're missing on the player list, I'll add you if I see you but it really should come down to Pony's one-on-one approval process now more than anything else, so I will not even bother keeping that list up-to-date until the game starts.

Vivixenne on

• BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS
    edited June 2007
    Anjin Can't Post on this page.

SIG.gif
  • GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Ahahaha, blankspace was totally cockblocked by Viv

Also, does anyone else realize that we've spent 400+ pages discussing this?

IsaacSig.png
    3DS: 3007 8087 2767 | Nintendo ID: AngryFrog
  • ZombotZombot Registered User
    edited June 2007
    I'm so looking forward to this game.
    I wish I had more to post in these threads.

Spoiler:
    edited June 2007
    Pfft

I didn't even have it copied.

Viv saved my ass.

SIG.gif
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro Frame Runner Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I really should put together a whole bio and power list and such

zcvOnOq.png
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • DarkseidDarkseid Registered User, ClubPA
    edited June 2007
    Viv, can you update my character link? The current link doesn't reflect my vagoo properly

cutglass.jpg
    Diamond Friend Code: 0043 9432 1473
    edited June 2007
    Darkseid wrote: »
    Viv, can you update my character link? The current link doesn't reflect my vagoo properly
    You'd need a full body mirror for that

SIG.gif
  • VivixenneVivixenne aDAWRable! Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Codename: GENESIS

Name: Alvita Sinclair
    Height: 5'10"
    Weight: 135 lbs
    Hair: Long, Black
    Eyes: Turquoise
    Alignment: Vanguard

HARDY CLINICS DIAGNOSTIC REPORT

CHARACTER ABILITIES
    Spoiler:

CHARACTER BIOGRAPHY
    Spoiler:

CHARACTER SHEET - many, many thanks to Darkblade and Run Run Run for their help!
    Spoiler:

WOUNDED WARSONG - THEME OF GENESIS - thanks Redeemer! <3

edited June 2007
    THE HARDY CLINICS
    Superhuman Diagnosis Division
    ========

NOTE: IF YOU'RE NOT GOING TO READ THIS POST THE WHOLE WAY THROUGH, DON'T BOTHER TRYING TO RESERVE A SPOT.

Welcome to the Hardy Clinics, a groups of hospitals founded by Diana Hardy, MD, hailed as the world's expert on superhuman development.

The Hardy Clinics as a whole are capable of taking care of anyone on the planet, from superhumans to regular humans to aliens. This particular division of the Clinics, however, is devoted to diagnosing and gauging a superhuman's full capabilities and potential.
    ========

Okay, how it works is that if you want your hero to be fully "diagnosed" (i.e., their powers will be completely fleshed out from head to toe, complete with some semi-logical explanations), all you'd have to do is visit the Hardy Clinic in-game and pay a visit to Diana Hardy.
    t
    Sometime later, you will receive something that looks like this: Diagnosic Report [GENESIS]

That will be posted both in the game itself and PM'd to you.

So what's this post all about? It's to get me a head start.

If you think your character will want to pay a visit to the Hardy Clinics at some point during the game, let me know now so that I can have a report ready for you when the time comes. You do not HAVE to let me know now; this is just so that when the game starts, I'm not instantly backlogged.

Let me explain how this process is going to work.
    ========

SO WHO CAN VISIT THE HARDY CLINIC?
    Anyone. Regardless of affiliation or ability type, anyone can pay a visit to the clinic at anytime, provided Diana Hardy herself is not deployed on a mission. The Hardy Clinics are not affiliated with SUN, the Vanguard, or any other existing faction.

ARE THERE ANY SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS BEFORE I CAN MAKE AN APPOINTMENT AT THE CLINIC AND/OR COLLECT MY REPORT?
    Yes. You must be in a city that contains a branch of the Hardy Clinic (which will be thrown up when the game starts). You do not necessarily have to interact with Diana Hardy herself, but for simplicity's sake we'll just pretend she does all the diagnostics for this game.

HOW DO THE DIAGNOSTICS WORK?
    The sample report linked above gives you a good idea of how the reports will end up looking, but here is a look at the manual (rough draft) that the Hardy Clinics use to measure core traits: Core Diagnostic Manual

HOW DO I RESERVE A SPOT FOR MY CHARACTER'S FUTURE REPORT?
    PM me with a link to your character abilities and biography, along with the following information: real name, codename, height, weight, hair, eyes, gender, place of birth, date of birth. Your bio MUST include your alignment and current occupation. You do not need to include your character sheet, but it doesn't hurt to throw that in as well.

Anything that is missing will be deemed as you failing to read and understand this post and tough fucking titties but you will not be added to the appointment listing. Thank you, come again.

IS THIS THE SAME AS THE HELP YOU'RE OFFERING WITH SUPERHERO DEVELOPMENT?
    No, it's not, since the superhero development (i.e., helping you with bios and powers) comes BEFORE the game begins. Feel free to ask for both.

HOW DO I KNOW IF I'VE BEEN ACCEPTED FOR AN APPOINTMENT?
    Check the list at the end of this post.

CAN I JOIN THE HARDY CLINIC AS AN EMPLOYEE?
    Yes. Whether you are a human character or a superhuman character, anyone can ask to be a part of the Hardy Clinic. I'm not sure at present what your character will be able to do per Issue, but I'll come up with something interesting once Pony's wiki comes out.

DIAGNOSTIC APPOINTMENT LIST - ordered by priority
    Genesis
    Blak Magik
    Cruor
    Redeemer
    Heavyweight
    Wordsmith
    Glitch
    Enzyme
    The Face
    Golem
    Slam

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Hahaha, five threads before the game. I fucking called it.

optimusighsig.png
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
    edited June 2007
    Need help with a character's abilities or biography? Does your character look bland? Unconvincing? Cliche? Overpowered? Underpowered? Kinda faggy?

PM me with a link to your character's draft profile, specify which bits you want touched up, and I'll see what I can do to help you out.

If you want to see what I can do, below is a list of the Character Abilities/Biographies I have done for others:

NOTE: I don't do character sheets. Because I suck at them.

UPDATES:
    - If you ask me to do both biographies and powers, I will start with your powers and reinsert your bio request into the queue when the power profile is complete.
    - If you ask me to do a biography, PLEASE FOR THE LOVE OF GOD HAVE SOME KIND OF ALIGNMENT IN MIND. This makes my life easier and your character better.

- NO MORE REQUESTS WILL BE ENTERTAINED AFTER THE 16TH. If you'd made a request before the 16th and haven't gotten it by then, you will still get it when it's done. No one new will be added to the queue after the 16th.

edited June 2007
    VivBot '07: Now running Vista!

SIG.gif
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Codename: Wordsmith
    Place of Birth: East London, South Africa
    Height: 5' 11”
    Weight: 156 lb
    Hair: Copper
    Eyes: Hazel
    Spoiler:

Abilities:
    Spoiler:

Biography:
    Spoiler:

Nicholas' (not Wordsmith's) blog:
    http://travellingtranslator.blogspot.com/

I don't like reposting this in every thread (in fact I didn't repost it in the v4 one) but I might very well make a revision once the Wiki hits.

optimusighsig.png
    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
    edited June 2007
    Zealot
    Spoiler:

Character Sheet
    Spoiler:

IsaacSig.png
    edited June 2007
    Pulse (Back-up character / NPC)
    Spoiler:

Character Sheet
    Spoiler:

IsaacSig.png
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    hay guys what could this mean i wonder:

ravenparadox.jpg

edited June 2007
    Freeeefallllllin.jpg
    Heavyweight
    Biography(With thanks to Viv):
    Spoiler:

Character Sheet (With thanks to Quetzi):
    Spoiler:

SIG.gif
    edited June 2007
    Pony wrote: »

ravenparadox.jpg

All ravens are black
    and All non-black things are not ravens?

No clue.

Spoiler:
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Glitch, present and accounted for.
    Why aren't I on that list of characters up there?

POSTERS:
    Spoiler:

edited June 2007
    Zombot wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »

ravenparadox.jpg

All ravens are black
    and All that is black are not ravens?

No clue.

Actually

"All ravens are black. All non-black things are not ravens."

edited June 2007
    t haspipe: because you're a whiny little vagina.

edited June 2007
    All ravens are black

All not-black things are not-ravens?

Hempel's paradox?

SIG.gif
    edited June 2007
    All ravens are black. All non-black things are not ravens.

EDIT: FUCK

IsaacSig.png
    edited June 2007
    Blankspace wrote: »
    All ravens are black

All not-black things are not-ravens?

Hempel's paradox?

;)

written in german

hm

edited June 2007
    #pipe.
    I love that Genesis and Boogyman poster.

Spoiler:
  • RedeemerRedeemer Registered User
    edited June 2007
    REDEEMER

SUPER POWERS: phasing and flight

Date of Birth: 10/12/2000
    Place of Birth: South Ashfield, Maine
    Height: 5'10
    Weight: 150 lbs
    Hair: Black
    Affiliation: Neutral

Henry's Blog

Powers & Usage
    Spoiler:

Biography
    Spoiler:

Character Sheet (courtesy of Run Run Run)
    Spoiler:

Character Pictures (City of Hero screenshots, thanks Scooter)
    Spoiler:

The Astonishing Redeemer #1
    Issue Cover
    Spoiler:

25jyxzr.jpg
    edited June 2007
    ......Oh christ

I am imagining terrifying things in Munich right now.

SIG.gif
    edited June 2007
    All ravens are black

Not all black things are ravens

Man I suck

zcvOnOq.png
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Man, Blank.

Fuck you. :x

It is simple. The German is simply a distraction.

Ravens have beards. Beards are facial hair, facial hair is manly, and being manly is awesome.

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    t haspipe: because you're a whiny little vagina.

:|

edited June 2007
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    Man, Blank.

Fuck you. :x

It is simple. The German is simply a distraction.

Ravens have beards. Beards are facial hair, facial hair is manly, and being manly is awesome.
    and so Edgar Allen Poe's corpse weeps.

SIG.gif
    edited June 2007
    Pony if this all leads up to some dude named Poe doing shit in Munich I will cry.

I hate Ravens.

SIG.gif
    edited June 2007
    Hmmm...maybe those black tentacle things are in Germany?

I really haven't a clue.

Spoiler:
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Green wrote: »
    Ahahaha, blankspace was totally cockblocked by Viv

Also, does anyone else realize that we've spent 400+ pages discussing this?

*cough* pokemon threads *cough*

edited June 2007
    I don't know why everyone is till confused about Munich.

two words.
    Spoiler:

edited June 2007
    #pipe wrote: »
    I don't know why everyone is till confused about Munich.

two words.
    Spoiler:
    Man, Pony has said he has plans for Herr Führer, but I doubt he'd be that cliche.

SIG.gif
    edited June 2007
    edited June 2007
    "The Raven Paradox, also known as Hempel's Paradox or Hempel's Ravens is a paradox proposed by the German logician Carl Gustav Hempel in the 1940s to illustrate a problem where inductive logic violates intuition. It reveals the problem of induction.

Hempel describes the paradox in terms of a hypothesis that all ravens are black. This statement is equivalent, in logical terms, to the statement that all non-black things are non-ravens. If one were to observe many ravens and find that they were all black, one's belief in the statement that all ravens are black would increase. But if one were to observe many red apples, and concur that all non-black things are non-ravens, one would still become more sure that all ravens are black.

The origin of the paradox lies in the fact that the statements "all Ravens are black" and "all non-black things are non-ravens" are indeed equivalent, while the act of finding a black raven is not at all equivalent to finding a non-black non-raven."

edited June 2007
    So, who's not a raven

zcvOnOq.png
This discussion has been closed.