As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[UNIFIED] DISCUSSION (v5)

• #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    you think Zombie Hitler does what pony tells him?

#pipe on
  • mrpakumrpaku Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    i think this has something to do with robots

mrpaku on
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    ArtisanPromo.jpg

:?:

Pony on
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    I mean, it's not the actual bird I hate.

It's the pecking and the oh my god he's got my eye and he's pecking out my tounge and D:

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I think it has something to do with knowing something that is a non-raven, and having to connect it to what the raven is

But you know, I could be completely wrong

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Man, fuck philosophy.

DarkPrimus on
    edited June 2007
    blankspace wrote: »
    I mean, it's not the actual bird I hate.

It's the pecking and the oh my god he's got my eye and he's pecking out my tounge and D:

I used to be so scared of the Diablo 1 opening cinematic when I was a wee lad.

DarkPrimus on
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Two odd questions, Pony.

One....how long do you forsee Unified taking?

Two...what's the limit on content? Pardon the ignorance here, but what's the furthest you can take shit in ODaM? I'd rather not get in trouble for saying outlandish shit there.

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Wait, what if you doublethink that all non-black things are ravens

Oh god

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • RedeemerRedeemer Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Also I created a gallery for the Unified posters I made

Unified Poster Gallery

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Man, I kind of want a poster now

Green on
    edited June 2007
    Wait, what if you doublethink that all non-black things are ravens

Oh god

:D

Pony on
    edited June 2007
    Anjin-San wrote: »
    Two odd questions, Pony.

One....how long do you forsee Unified taking?

Two...what's the limit on content? Pardon the ignorance here, but what's the furthest you can take shit in ODaM? I'd rather not get in trouble for saying outlandish shit there.

Dunno! Potentially it can go on for a very long time.

I've got months of content all brewed up.

Plus, the ability of the players to generate their own stories and stuff really makes it a lot larger than most RPGs.

Pony on
    edited June 2007
    I meant...like...what's the craziest shit I can say?

Edit: I haven't had time to "feel these guys out".

Calamity Jane on
    twitter https://twitter.com/mperezwritesirl michelle patreon https://www.patreon.com/thatwronglove michelle's comic book from IMAGE COMICS you can order http://a.co/dn5YeUD
    edited June 2007
    I meant...like...what's the craziest shit I can say?

in what way

Pony on
    edited June 2007
    Cursing and so forth.

Calamity Jane on
    edited June 2007
    Cursing and so forth.

I have no idea.

Ask the ODaM mods.

Pony on
    edited June 2007
    ....I'm pretty sure you can cuss your little heart out as long as it's fairly on topic.

These are the Penny Arcade forums after all.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
    edited June 2007
    blankspace wrote: »
    ....I'm pretty sure you can cuss your little heart out as long as it's fairly on topic.

These are the Penny Arcade forums after all.

Well yes but it seems like they may have a different tone there. I'll PM them some questions.

Calamity Jane on
  • DarkseidDarkseid Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    Green wrote: »

All the cool kids are doing it.
    stealthposter.jpg

Darkseid on
    cutglass.jpg
    Diamond Friend Code: 0043 9432 1473
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Sound off your characters' places of birth , please. I'm curious.

Genesis: Lausanne, Switzerland

(Diana Hardy: Cairo, Egypt)
    (Shade: Caracas, Venezuela)

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
    edited June 2007
    Blak Magik: Samara, Russia

Calamity Jane on
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Glitch: Mifflinburg, Pennsylvania

#pipe on
    edited June 2007
    Jim was born in Dublin, Ireland but moved to Elizabeth, New Jersey shortly after birth.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • DarkseidDarkseid Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    Stealth: Concord, California, Whatever the USA is called now

Darkseid on
    cutglass.jpg
    Diamond Friend Code: 0043 9432 1473
    edited June 2007
    Darkseid wrote: »

All the cool kids are doing it.

I don't need a poster.

I am content with my Ranedos art.

DarkPrimus on
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm thinking my computer is stored somewhere in the Rocky Mountains. Either that, or a bunker deep underneath the New Mexico desert. I like that one a bit more...

I didn't get a chance to copy my character entry! What do I do? :(

Well it never got added to the first post anyways...

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
    edited June 2007
    Fairfax, Virginia

Green on
    edited June 2007
    Wordsmith: East London, South Africa

Mean Green: Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States of America
    The Veteran: Tennessee, United States of America
    Transfer: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    Noh: Kyoto, Japan

I can post the others' PoB when I get around to it.

DarkPrimus on
  • FedoraFedora Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Pony wrote: »
    "That's so Raven"

hmm, interesting

Fedora on
  • SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I got the raven thing, I think.
    It's all about good and evil and stuff. All S.U.N.-related things are good; all non-good things are non-S.U.N.. Just because you can't find something good that isn't in S.U.N. doesn't mean that bad can't exist within S.U.N., and just because you can't find something bad in S.U.N. doesn't mean that goodness can't exist outside of S.U.N.

I am completily wrong on this, aren't I?
    Anyway, sheet's about as good as it gets, I think, so the PMs'll be flying soon.

Zeittaucher
    Level 6 Hero (30 Character Points)
    Faction: Vanguard/HASTE

Character Image:
    AltCohZeitPicArmored.jpg
    Character Sheet:
    A million thanks to Run for helping out on this

Sex: Male
    Height: 6'
    Weight: 173 lbs
    Hair Color: Blonde
    Eye Color: Hazel
    Birthplace: Connecticut, U.S.A.
    Date of Birth: 9/29/1977

Powers:

Core Attribute – The Powers Bestowed Upon Thee (16 Points)
    Type: Major
    Modifier: Major Increased Versatility (+2 points)
    Feats: (16)
    Temporal Manipulation (General)
    Telekinetic Shotgun (Offense)
    Telekinetic Storm (Offense)
    Temporal Impact (Offense)
    Temporal Strike (Offense)
    Temporal Dodge (Defense)
    Telekinetic Interception (Defense)
    Impact Resistance (Alteration)
    Psychic Resistance (Alteration)
    Temporal Cloaking (Alteration)
    Telekinetic Object Manipulation (Alteration)
    Everything-at-a-glance (Sensory)
    Impeccable Timing (Sensory)
    Telekinetic Radar (Sensory)
    Levitation (Movement)
    Power Glide (Movement)

Traits:

Field Medic (10 Points)
    Modifier: Major Reduced Versatility (-2 points)
    Feats: (10)
    Medical Training (General)
    Operate Military Vehicles (General)
    Expert Hand-to-Hand Combat (Offense)
    No-Holds Fighting (Offense)
    Enhanced Reflexes (Defense)
    Anatomical Knowledge (Hit where it hurts) (Alteration)
    Excellent Physical Shape (Alteration)
    Tactical Knowledge (Alteration)
    Scope Out (Sensory)
    Pathfinding (Movement)

Vanguard Member (2 Points)
    Feats: (2)
    Arrest Criminal (General)
    Call for Back-Up (Alteration)

HASTE Operative (2 points)
    Feats (2):
    Call for Back-up (Alteration)
    HASTE Transport (Movement)

Devices:

Field Kit (10 Points)
    Modifier: Major Device (-2 Points)
    Feats: (12)
    Computer Tunneler (General)
    Flashlight (General)
    Medical Kit (General)
    Translator (General)
    Vanguard/HASTE Communicator (General)
    Combat Baton (Offense)
    Combat Knife (Offense)
    Stun Gun (Offense)
    Armored Suit (Defense)
    Reflex Energy Shield (Defense)
    Flash Bang Grenades (Alteration)
    Night Vision Display (Sensory)

Flaws:

Greed (+4 Points)
    Type: Minor
    Feats: (1)
    Greedy Opportunist (Alteration)

Unwilling Leader (+4 Points)
    Feats (1)
    Horrible Leadership Skills (Alteration)

S.U.N. Supporter (+2 Points)
    Feats: (1)
    Life is better under the S.U.N. (General) (Props to whomever I stole this from)

Challenges:

Bleeding Heart
    Help the Innocent (Alteration)
    Powers:
    And a million thanks to Vivixenne for setting this up

Powers: Telekinesis on a high-volume, low-mass scale; precise manipulation of time within a form-fitting field, either speeding it up or slowing it down.

Limitations: Effects of telekinesis decreases exponentially as mass of each individual target object increases. Time manipulation limited to speed; cannot "rewind" time. Range of temporal control is limited to physical contact and can only support another humanoid's worth of volume.

Usage: Zeittaucher's (ZT) original mutation is his low-level telekinesis and telepathy. On the surface, his telekinesis appears weak as compared to most standard telekinetics, but he is potentially just as powerful - just in a different way. Unlike most telekinetics, who must exert an extreme amount of mental focus to track and manipulate the movement of multiple objects, ZT is able to control—with great precision—an unlimited number of objects, so long as their mass doesn't exceed his self-termed "critical mass," and so long as all objects remain within his line of sight.

The extent of ZT's power is governed by the mass of a single object, regardless of the total mass of the objects he is manipulating at once. This means that while he can move 100 pounds of paper clips with no problem, moving a 100-pound boulder on its own will require a much more mental focus. His "critical mass," which is how much a single object can weigh before his telekinetic limits appear, is 2.08 pounds.

ZT is capable of sending out and receiving a low-level "ping" that lets him map out all solid objects within range (i.e., his line of sight), which means he is able to locate even invisible solids. He is also capable of self-levitation, though thanks to the limits of his own abilities, he is not able to stay airborne for long.

ZT has found that manipulating small, inorganic objects proves much easier than organic, living creatures of the same mass, possibly because of the immobile nature of most standalone, inorganic parts.

Unlike most heroes, who are physically and mentally fit enough to survive on minimal sleep, ZT's telekinetic abilities require that he actually get enough sleep; otherwise, he will not perform at his peak.

ZT's secondary ability, gained from the explosion of an Anathema ship, is what gives him his edge in most combat situations. Within a form-fitting field that envelopes his body and objects he is holding, ZT is able to control the passage of time. Anything within this field will experience his affect on the passage of time. He can only manipulate the speed of time's progression, and as such he is unable to "rewind" time.

Within his field, ZT is able to speed up or slow down time, allowing a week to pass in the bubble while only a second has passed in the world beyond, or make a second in the bubble last a week in reality, and everything in between. Thus far, his maximum manipulation range is approximately a month's worth of time (that is, he can only make up to a month go by within or outside his aura); any more of that and ZT risks physical and mental strain.

Because of the usually-great discrepancy between the flow of time for ZT and the rest of the world, his field has the added benefit of acting like a temporal shield. The greater the difference between the time rates, the stronger the temporal shield is: while ZT is contained within his field, it is extremely difficult to break his concentration or distract him, rendering even psychic influences ineffective. Furthermore, the differences in relative speed means that physical impacts against him lose much of their power upon contact, allowing ZT to withstand blows that would kill otherwise ordinary people; inversely, his own movements are endowed with far more force than normal, allowing him to delivering astonishing blows and smash through obstacles with ease.

Because of the constant diluting and contracting of time's progression, ZT's actual age is impossible to determine. For all intents and purposes, he could be several years older (or younger) than he really is time-wise in the "real world" thanks to the use of his powers.

ZT has been known to utilize his powers in all manner of creative ways, with one of the most popular uses being the ability to slow down the passage of time for an injured comrade, allowing medical attention to arrive faster. Another is reducing the amount of time needed to complete a specific task, which in mission-deployment cases can be the disarming of a trap, bomb, or alarm.

While ZT can maintain his temporal manipulation for what is effectively an unlimited amount of time, high-level interactions between the two timerates - such as the initial shift and delivering or receiving blows - make it more and more difficult to maintain the field, eventually leading to a collapse and an inability to shift until ZT's "temporal pool" is restored, a process which takes on average about 8 hours.
    Biography:
    Life was fairly idyllic for Mikhail Rorstead. The well-loved and well-provided-for son of successful German\Slavic immigrants living in Connecticut, and one of the "lucky" children with the ability to tap into the full powers of the mind, his childhood was one of fond memories and of attention, especially government agencies who were interested in the potential of such powers. It was no surprise to anyone that he chose to join the military, what with some of the incentives offered, though some would wonder about, though accept, his decision to specialize in medicine and first-aid as opposed to special-ops work. For whatever "squandering" he might have been guilty of, however, the outlook on life was good - at only 22, the future was bright and full of opportunities.

And like most everything else, it all went to Hell when the Anathema came. For two years, Mikhail's life was a continuous race of life and death as he and other paramedics raced between battlefields and field hospitals, barely dropping off one patient before the call came out to pick up another. No matter what speeds the driver pressed, no matter what first-aid Mikhail performed, no matter what aid came from the superheroes who fought in the conflict, there was often never enough to help the wounded - never enough vitality, never enough medicine, and never enough time.

It had been just another day when it happened. A combined force of soldiers and supers had been pressing to an alien ship in an effort to catch it when a medical evacuation was called for, and the ambulance had arrived just as the vessel had begun to lift off in escape. Outraged at the failure, one idyllic man of carbon-copy steel boarded the vessel and ripped through it from one end to the other, gutting the ship. Spewing flames and gasses, it began its fall to earth, and the traditional cheer of this feat was raised.

The cheers quickly turned to screams. Within the bowels of the alien vessel, some damaged component sputtered to life and fought against its mortal wounds, spewing forth energies the like of which man had never seen. An explosion ripped through the hull, and the vessel was vaporized in a massive wave of cosmic forces. Cosmic forces which spread for miles, bathing everything within range in energies that ate at the very fabric of space and time - the very fabric of those who were caught in the blast.

The sights Mikhail bore witness to on that day are sights no man is fit to see. Bodies and parts phased in and out, leaving behind gutted shells and detached limbs. Men turned to ash before his eyes, faces and body parts withering to ash and revealing unaffected matter. But above all else there were the screams, an eternal and infernal wailing that seemed to exist on all scales, lasting for only the slightest but dragging on for what seemed eons.

When finally it stopped, Mikhail stood alone in a barren waste, devoid of flora and fauns and character, devoid of the wind and devoid of the sun - devoid of existence. While his fellows had succumbed to that force which had taken over, he alone felt its being, felt its attachment to his own, felt where it extended and what it willed, but above all, felt how to maintain. But as much as he felt this force, he knew not of how to control it - that was something that would require nearly a year of concentration and contemplation while roaming that frozen instant of time. When finally that knowledge came, it did so at the cost of 11 years of normal time and everything the world had been - but with that mistake, there came understanding, and with that understanding, opportunities.

Now having only himself, Mikhail returned to what he did best, taking on the role of a paramedic in the world of the S.U.N. and trying to forget about what happened, fearful of what might happen were he to tinker with the universe again. Try as he might, however, the force would not lay dormant - the times to ferry victims began to shorten; their vitality began to remain stable far longer, and those patients he brought in survived far more often, and in time he earned renown as a lifesaver above others.

Despite his edict to forgo tampering with the power, he could not resist it, and in time embraced it - but nor could he resist the opportunities his gift could give. Taking on the mantle of the stereotypical vigilante, he began to hunt after those who were the root of the suffering he treated, relieving them of ill-gained valuables and freedom. The further he went, the greater the opportunities presented to him, but also the greater his greed - in time, he forsook paramedic service altogether and began to sell himself to the highest "agreeable" dollar. Anti-S.U.N. holdovers, warlords, wanted criminals, and other forms of human pestilence were brought down (and looted) by his hand, and Mikhail, now working under the moniker of Zeittaucher, began to earn a reputation as a capable, if idealistic, soldier of fortune.

Despite the greed that had driven him to mercenary life, Mikhail still felt the call for justice and law and support of the state, and as a possible altercation with S.U.N. forces became more and more of a reality, he knew continued operation in this fashion was impossible without making himself an enemy of the state. Rather than risk S.U.N.'s wrath, he offered himself to them; knowing firsthand the condition of the world before the Anathema invasion, he saw the opportunities for global peace and unification that had so long been but a dream, an end to the petty bickering that had caused so much strife - and fiscal opportunities beyond what any normal man could imagine.

Sorenson on
  • RedeemerRedeemer Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    South Ashfield, Maine

It's more or less the location where Silent Hill is posited to be

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • Mr. ShineMr. Shine Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Firebird was born in Denver, Colorado

Mr. Shine on
    Yeah your alias says your captain Jean-Luc Picard of the United Federation of Planets, 'cause he won't speak English anyway.
    edited June 2007
    blankspace was born in SE++, Penny Arcade.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
    edited June 2007
    Sorenson wrote: »
    It's all about good and evil and stuff. All S.U.N.-related things are good; all non-good things are non-S.U.N.. Just because you can't find something good that isn't in S.U.N. doesn't mean that bad can't exist within S.U.N., and just because you can't find something bad in S.U.N. doesn't mean that goodness can't exist outside of S.U.N.

There's a reason it's in German

There's also a reason why Pony posted the Artisan's promo image shortly thereafter

Green on
    edited June 2007
    Sorenson wrote: »

There's a reason it's in German

There's also a reason why Pony posted the Artisan's promo image shortly thereafter

"All the black is really white, if you believe it."

Pony on
    edited June 2007
    This may just be my Discworld frenzy talking.

The Artisan is The Patrician.

Really, that is exactly who he comes off as to me.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
    edited June 2007
    t Pony

On an unrelated note, Artisan doesn't bear any striking similarities to da Vinci, does he?

Green on
    edited June 2007
    That's pretty awesome.

Although he looks like a regular SWAT guy.

I wonder how magical stuff interacts with the temporal field? I've been pondering that a lot, actually. Like, if Transfer and Wordsmith fought, Wordsmith's ability would not accidentally hit Wordsmith if they were swapped- the Lexicon would double-back and try to hit Transfer.

DarkPrimus on
    edited June 2007
    t Pony

On an unrelated note, Artisan doesn't bear any striking similarities to da Vinci, does he?

in that he is a bearded man with a honkin' schnoz and long hair perhaps

he used to compare himself to da vinci sometimes

then the vitruvians came along and took the image of the vitruvian man as the symbol of their "pure human" supremecist movement.

and it stopped being cool to be like da vinci

Pony on
This discussion has been closed.