As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[COX] - City of Heroes Freedom is Live, TITAN WEAPONS are live also new iTrials

• Options
    NarbusNarbus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Seriously. Remember that time that we were on a RSF and we were on the last mission and the entire Phalanx was dead except Numina and Statesman and Tube hopped up to dance with Statesman but he left an attack on auto so he punched Numina and she woke up and Clear Minded Stateman and Tube ruined everything? I hate netgear more than I hated tube that day.

Narbus on
  • Options
    kafzielkafziel Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    jonxp wrote: »
    Man, when people ask "Where were you when you heard about Osama bin Laden?" I'm going to have to say "Rikti War Zone".

"I was pretending to be a superhero on the internet."

kafziel on
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    kafziel wrote: »
    Man, when people ask "Where were you when you heard about Osama bin Laden?" I'm going to have to say "Rikti War Zone".

"I was pretending to be a superhero on the internet."

Not even. I was using my robot army to kill prisoners for infamy and Infamy.

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So, who here happens to have someone in the Villain SG who can invite new people?

I'd rather just get info in advance and setup a time to get it taken care of then pester people in the channel every time I log in.

Also....Brutes are awesome. That is all.

AustinP0027 on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Last week we announced that our next Reactivation week would be starting on May 3. Unfortunately we are no longer able to proceed with it this week and instead will be delaying it by a week.

Here are the new dates and times:

Starts: Tuesday, May 10, 2011 at 6:00 p.m. Pacific Time (9:00 p.m. Eastern Time / 2:00 a.m. British Time / 3:00 Central European Time)
    Ends: Wednesday, May 18, 2011 at 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time (2:59 a.m. Eastern Time / 7:59 a.m. British Time / 8:59 Central European Time)

During that week, all inactive accounts in good standing will once again be given access to City of Heroes and its many dangers and thrills!

I should finally have my stupid stupid computer running and online by that point so come play games!

Narbus on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So, who here happens to have someone in the Villain SG who can invite new people?

I'd rather just get info in advance and setup a time to get it taken care of then pester people in the channel every time I log in.

Last time I checked, anyone in the SG has the ability to invite people. Just pop into the channel ask for an invite to whichever SG you're looking to get into and someone will let you in.

see317 on
  • Options
    LepLep Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    New mids is out with i20 support.
    Link.

Lep on
  • Options
    RobzielRobziel Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ooohh fancy, I'll give it a week or so and than update, they usually have a handful of bugs that get squashed right after an update. Now if I could just get Titan Sentinel to work for me.

Robziel on
    Do I look like the sort of man who'd go and find unsuspecting Japanese schoolgirls in short skirts and white panties and ask them if they want to see my "Cthulu Special"?
  • Options
    ChaosRedChaosRed Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'll dial in during free-week next week and sniff around. But it will largely be for purposes of nostalgia.

I'll always love COH, always treasure the characters I have there, but I get frustrated at the path it takes with each issue, none of them addressing things I'd like the game to focus on more.

The two elements of the game I love the most (Mission Architect and the Base Editor) are in my mind, revolutionary, but sadly also receive the smallest amount of development attention or enhancement. This game, was beginning to allow users to slice away the really bad generic content and build an RP experience that was customized to needs, wants and precise taste. In this regard, I thought it was ground breaking. But when power-gamers saw these enhancements as exploits and bombarded the lewtbois with boss farms, COH blinked and pulled back from their vision.

We're still a slave to power gamers who play these games as if its Donkey Kong. All well and good for those gamers, but to my humble and insignificant taste, I was hoping COH would continue to enhance its story-telling components, they were captivating, even with their flaws.

Instead we get increased focus on end-game, loot and more power trees. All things power-gamers love and all things, that us care bears consider the lowest tier of priority.

RP on Virtue is still abundant and thriving, (thank goodness) and it is reconnecting with this element I will look forward to most of all during free-week.

ChaosRed on
    dbf1147f15514b46.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I'm not sure what you feel that MA doesn't have. They redid custom enemies a while ago, allowing bigger flexibility that people wanted. In issue 19 they added the Praetoria maps, and the new Praetoria enemy groups along with the last two of the new powersets that GR handed out (the first two were added in like issue 17 or something), and back in issue 18 they added doppleganger tech, and even redid how ally NPCs behaved so that they don't "steal" rewards anymore, so people could actually use them.

The only big thing that I see AE needing still is a better search/rating setup because they one they have is pretty crappy. I suppose branching arcs might be nice, but they've said they don't like that idea because of size issues.

EDIT: Base editor still sucks largely because they don't have much of an idea of what to do with bases. Scheduled raids run really counter to the casual push the devs have been making lately, and pvp is ahahahahahahaha. Honestly they kinda need to burn them and restart from scratch, but that is its own thing.

Narbus on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    MArc has, to my knowledge only added maps and tweaked custom enemies. The tool was revolutionary, a first foray into sophisticated content generation. I applauded it, but quickly watched the focus go back to badges, animations, end-game and stuff to pacify power gamers.

I get why, after all power gamers are the dominant type of player out there, but power gaming is boring...ultimately it becomes boring because it is formulaic. It's the repetition of pattern that ensures the best rewards for power gaming, if boss farms proved nothing, it proved power gamers are quite content to bore themselves silly, in pursuit of more XP.

All well and good of course, but it doesn't suit my taste.

I love the base editor in COH. It is, one of the few things COH can point to and say, "we do this better than WOW". It's a brilliant tool and it can produce amazing bases (my daughter once produced a multi-level space, that was breath taking).

Sadly, it hasn't really been augmented or improved in years. And it hasn't been improved because it doesn't service the game's central premise: pew, pew, I win XP.

For many of us, "Pew, pew, I win XP" is fun only for a year or so. We look for more creative outlets in our games. The two most creative aspects of COH haven't received nearly the attention of making max-level toons chase more digital carrots.

Again, I understand the reasoning for the focus, it just does not appeal to me, especially when it comes at the expense of tools and assets that I think COH can rightly claim are both unique and fairly ground breaking.

ChaosRed on
    dbf1147f15514b46.png
  • Options
    ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Base editing does need some love. My wife would be right back into CoH if they did something to augment it.

Shawnasee on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    ChaosRed wrote: »
    MArc has, to my knowledge only added maps and tweaked custom enemies. The tool was revolutionary, a first foray into sophisticated content generation. I applauded it, but quickly watched the focus go back to badges, animations, end-game and stuff to pacify power gamers.

Like I said up above, since its launch MA hasn't been beaten into the ground over badges and such. In fact they took most of the badges out specifically BECAUSE they didn't want to encourage "BADGE FARM!" maps. They also did all the rest of everything I said above, including new enemy types, new maps, new powersets for custom enemies and a far more robust custom enemy power selection system to allow for greater creator freedom. Now you can handpick what powers custom enemies have from the two powersets you choose for them. If they don't have "enough" powers then the rewards they drop is reduced by a percentage instead of to zero, so that both powergaming is discouraged (no killing guys with just build up) but the freedom to include slightly underpowered enemies for story reasons still provides some reward to encourage play. They also doubled the allowed size for arcs, and allowed players who really enjoyed the system to purchase more arc slots, and expanded the Dev's Choice to a monthly contest that focused specifically on arcs with well told stories (though that has fallen by the wayside).

They installed a ticket cap and changed the rewards that some enemies were given to curb powergaming and encourage the use of AE as a storytelling tool. They added "taggin" and a better level selection feature so people could more easily find the kinds of arcs they were interested in, allowed giant monsters in some outdoor maps, and added new conditions like leading NPCs to an objective, or having to find your way out of a mission instead of hitting exit, or ally NPCs that betray you and turn hostile.

Mission Architect also benefited from several game-wide changes, including the enhanced difficulty slider and supersidekicking.

So in short I don't know what you want here. They gave out more robust storytelling tools while cutting down on the powergaming potential so that more people would actually play the most engaging arcs.

Narbus on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Narbus wrote: »
    ChaosRed wrote: »
    So in short I don't know what you want here. They gave out more robust storytelling tools while cutting down on the powergaming potential so that more people would actually play the most engaging arcs.

I like MArc, but lets face it, they released it, tweaked a few things, nerfed boss farming and then left it alone. It's potential is far, far greater than the focus given to it. I honestly think COH blinked. They released this awesome tool, saw it exploited for XP, saw the backlash that took place because of that farming, fixed the farming and then saw the backlash of anger for those who were using the exploits. They saw all that and shrugged and thought, "...this bitch ain't worth it, we can't win. Let's focus on expansion of content and more end-game stuffs".

I understand the decision, it just disappointed me, given my personal preferences of gaming.

In fact, I'd say the best stuff to come out in years, from my perspective, is the brilliant decision on the Fitness Pool.

Really, the rest of it is just so "meh" to me. GR in general was a massive "meh" and in the end I did not invest in it at all. And if much of the focus on GR had been instead on enhancing tools such as base editor and MArc, I would have stuck around.

Personal preference only of course and I'd be the first to concede my taste in RPGs are not mainstream. Also I must concede not having logged in or played since GR went beta (and I could sample and play it). So perhaps next week, I'll rediscover my love for the game. But GR did almost nothing for me, except to extend the same old rituals, habits and button smashing. The mechanics seemed awfully slow, the story was still painful to read and the overall engine seemed to be quite stale.

I have a lot of choices in MMOs these days. Grinding through new PvE content in a older game, only has so much sizzle. It so often feels like "more of the same".

And as for XP rewards, well let me submit this bold idea: linear XP will die one day as a RP concept. Eventually, you won't need XP. You will instead, unlock new features, content and gear, but your avatars power can be tricked out on a slider, or matched to specific unique user content. XP is all relative anyway and the irony is, you can actually play a more challenging game at lower levels than you can at high levels. One of the funnest parts of World of Tanks for example? Tier 1, or more specifically trying to survive with a Tier 1 tank. So its not even about challenge, its about obsessive types who must have every digital carrot that dangles in front of them. I get that. I see how lucrative that can be. But eventually, I think gaming can evolve beyond it. That the digital carrot model, is a relic of the "please plug another quarter in the machine" design...and eventually I think gaming goes beyond that.

And perhaps that last paragraph explains why I am totally weird and should have all my posts ignored. :)

I love COH, I think its release provided me with a great deal of joy in late 2004 and 2005. I think I played that MMO more than any other (even WOW which was surging at the time). I spent time in COH, I will treasure. I have characters, events, stories and memories in that game I also treasure. I loved her completely, but she's still the same old broad and her boobs are starting to sag after all these years.

ChaosRed on
    dbf1147f15514b46.png
  • Options
    LepLep Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

Just shout in the channel and someone'll get you an invite.

Lep on
  • Options
    ShawnaseeShawnasee Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I thought unsubbed accounts were going to be open starting on the 3rd?

edit: nevermind...suppose to start on the 3rd...pushed back to the 10th...damn.

Shawnasee on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Shawnasee wrote: »
    I thought unsubbed accounts were going to be open starting on the 3rd?

edit: nevermind...suppose to start on the 3rd...pushed back to the 10th...damn.

Yeah, they had to push it back so Narbus would be able to get his computer up and running.
    Well, no, not actually. But it's fun to blame people for stuff they have no possible control over.

see317 on
  • Options
    ransimransim Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Hey guys not sure if any of you are interested but there is a RPvP event going on Saturday around 6 PM EDT. The focus on this is going to be having fun enjoying some light RP and some light PVP. Its not going to be about anyone winning or losing.
    INCOMING TRANSMISSION FROM UNKNOWN USER.

On your television screen appears the masked supervillain known as Phanto.

"Heroes, villains, countrymen, lend me your ears. As you might have guessed by my attire, I am evil. Not just 'evil' though, I really think I take evil to a whole new level. I am more than your average supervillain, I'm quite possibly the best ever.

But those under me are tired. Tired of being hunted as a part of this 'blacklist' you have on those who use their superpowers 'irresponsibly.' So it is time to unify. A single villain is a threat, but an army of them is a challenge.

A challenge for you, heroes, protagonists in this story we call life. A challenge to see if you even live up to the title you hold. Because villainy is in this season, and villainy persists. And you'll all soon discover that the only way to defeat us is to become us. If you want this story to have a happy ending, join us now. If you want a tragedy, be my guest.

Either way, I want you gone, I want heroes out of the way and I want the villains to unify. So it is time we upped the stakes. The age of the hero ends in Bloody Bay, with all of you either on my side or crushed beneath my grip!"

OOC

This is basically an open challenge from villain to hero, for no reason other than just wanting to battle, settle scores and prove themselves. We wanted to bring some RPvP events back to Virtue and this will be the first of many. Please feel free to join as a hero or villain, this will mostly be a free for all battle in hopes of everyone meeting some new friends and enemies.

The basics –

What: An attack on the heroes of Virtue by a loose coalition of villains
    When: Saturday May 7th, 6pm EST.
    Where: Bloody Bay
    Who: Anyone wanting some RPvP fun.

Should be a lot of fun and I'm trying to help them get out the word. I plan to be there with my Mad Scientist, Trioxin.

For SCIENCE!
    trioxin-animation.gif

ransim on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Hmm a way to combine RP and earning PvP IO's? Interesting

Robziel on
    Do I look like the sort of man who'd go and find unsuspecting Japanese schoolgirls in short skirts and white panties and ask them if they want to see my "Cthulu Special"?
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Do we need to have chat binds for all our powers?

jonxp on
  • Options
    ransimransim Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Do we need to have chat binds for all our powers?

I hope not, I hate making binds.

Generally with RPvP the goal isn't necessarily to see who can take down who the faster with PVP so you'll get pauses where people will do the normal superhero/ supervillain posturing. Its a bit more fight club then PVP usually is.

But again it depends on the group that shows, its almost uniformly laid back though.

ransim on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Invasion Schedule

Withstand the Praetorian Surge!

Further confirmation of an imminent Praetorian invasion has been secured from our team of scientists and mages lead by Dr. Keyes.

Heroes of Paragon City, Villains of the Rogue Isles, it is time to set aside your differences and unite against a perilous threat for the common good of humanity. We can't stress enough that, should Emperor Cole and his troops succeed in subjugating our planet and its inhabitants, the foundations of our society and liberty will not only be at stake, they are likely to collapse and plunge us into an era of darkness and fear.

The times when the dimensional barriers are at their most vulnerable have now been identified. Those times are when intrusions into our dimension are most likely to happen. Be watching for announcements in Paragon City and the Rogue Isles at the following dates and times and be aware that we will be at our weakest on May 27th so make sure you read the entirety of this mobilization notice!
    Wednesday, May 11th, 2011

Time: 10am - 1pm Pacific Time (6:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. British Time)
    Server: Union

Time: 4:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. Pacific Time (6:00 p.m. - 9:00 p.m. Central Time)
    Server: Virtue

Thursday, May 12th, 2011

Time: 10am - 1pm Pacific Time (4:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. British Time)
    Server: Defiant

Server: Justice

Friday, May 13th, 2011

Server: Vigilance

Server: Liberty

Monday, May 16th, 2011

Server: Zukunft

Server: Champion

Tuesday, May 17th, 2011

Server: Triumph

Wednesday, May 18th, 2011

Server: Guardian

Thursday, May 19th, 2011

Server: Infinity

Monday, May 23rd, 2011

Server: Protector

Tuesday, May 24th, 2011

Server: Victory

Thursday, May 26th, 2011

Server: Pinnacle

Friday, May 27th, 2011

Server: Freedom

Please note that as a gesture of appreciation and recognition, a special account wide badge will be given out to everybody taking part in the Freedom Protection effort on Friday, May 27th! So enroll early, whether you're a super-hero or a super-villain, in order to get your just reward!

For the future of Primal Earth!

That last bit there caused a bit of a shit storm on the forums as one can imagine. They eventually said it wouldn't be only available for the three hours and deleted the thread while they rediscussed how the badge awarding will work.

Robziel on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    New computer is installing CoX right now. Fucks yeah. See you bitches tonight.

Narbus on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Damn and tonight's my D&D game

Robziel on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    CANCEL IT.

Also I have no sound. Someone make me have sound. Stupid no sound.

Narbus on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    CANCEL IT.

Also I have no sound. Someone make me have sound. Stupid no sound.

Turn the knob on the speakers to "loud".

jonxp on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    is there something going on tonight?

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    There is. It is called "Jonxp was mean to me so we are shunning him tonight" night.

Narbus on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    So because Eden is still broken they changed the WST from May 17-23 to the lady grey. Hows about everyone do their best to have a Judgement AoE by then so we can just walk up to the platform in the last mission and melt it into a disgusting pile of slag.

Narbus on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Why isn't anyone on?

There is. It is called "Jonxp was mean to me so we are shunning him tonight" night.

Oh.

On another note, since everyone knows the IO sets so much better than myself, anyone want to take a shot at making a nice bots/dark build (expensive is fine)? I do OK on my current one, but I'd like to kill stuff faster (or survive large groups more).

jonxp on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Here. Durable with all that Ranged/AoE defense - you're Bots and Dark, you can cluster up with your pets at range and not need to get near guys - plus the ability to flip on Force of Nature if you need to start soaking something massive. Ridiculous amounts of AoE to lay out and kill large groups - Bots does a lot of AoE but never quite enough to clear things, but pitching your three area blasts should make the difference. I'd suggest going Clarion for your Destiny, so you can have mez protection.

kafziel on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Thanks! Right now I use Mu mastery instead of Fire because it has a -kb immob, and my bots do a LOT of knockback. Would you still recommend the fire pool?

jonxp on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    ... that link should have had you using Field Mastery, not Heat Mastery. If that's saying Heat Mastery then something is weird.

Neither of them have a -knock immob, though. If you want to keep that, here's one that sticks with Mu Mastery. Static Discharge for AoE, and Charged Armor for added durability - it's no Force of Nature, but it's something.

kafziel on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    SO. Three BAFs later I have my Judgement uncommon, and am just one or two BAFs away from my rare. The very rare will be annoying as fuck but apparently that's a design goal.

FYI I am told that Lambda is fucking horrible unless you cheese it, mostly because if you're trying for the badges, and the merits that come with them, then you are fighting an AV with (I'm not exaggerating for effect here) 100% S/L resist. But I haven't actually tried it yet so maybe cheesing it makes it tolerable.

I am going to give it a shot though because I have nearly negative interest in the Lore slot. Turns out I can't just have a neat little floating robot ball to be my friend, I need some cranky ass giant robot to go along with it. Like how C3PO was a bitch but you had to put up with him to hang out with someone as awesome as R2D2.

Narbus on
  • Options
    CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I haven't logged in since before the last issue. Busy with other stuff I guess.

Corvus on
    :so_raven:
  • Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It's not at all necessary to "cheese" Lambda sector to win. Unless you consider using the weapons the trial gives you to be cheesing it... It's been my experience that most groups are not going for Master runs. I haven't been on one that has even tried.

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    None of the groups I have been on have done more than try to get the acid/pac collection coordination. No one has even suggested not using the grenades.

Just rolled a widwo to try out a fortunata. Instead of buying a server transfer and respec'ing my existing widow.

grouch993 on
    Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    FYI I am told that Lambda is fucking horrible unless you cheese it, mostly because if you're trying for the badges, and the merits that come with them, then you are fighting an AV with (I'm not exaggerating for effect here) 100% S/L resist. But I haven't actually tried it yet so maybe cheesing it makes it tolerable.

The fuck is "cheesing it" in this context, anyway? Going for the Master Of is different from and harder than going for just the trial, so maybe Master is a real pain - given the requirements, I'd believe it, but I haven't tried to do any Master of Lambdas. The trial itself is quite awesome though.
    I am going to give it a shot though because I have nearly negative interest in the Lore slot. Turns out I can't just have a neat little floating robot ball to be my friend, I need some cranky ass giant robot to go along with it. Like how C3PO was a bitch but you had to put up with him to hang out with someone as awesome as R2D2.

If you have no interest in being able to summon bitches on command then I don't know why we're even friends.

kafziel on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

The fuck is "cheesing it" in this context, anyway? Going for the Master Of is different from and harder than going for just the trial, so maybe Master is a real pain - given the requirements, I'd believe it, but I haven't tried to do any Master of Lambdas. The trial itself is quite awesome though.

I was told something about stealthing objectives and so on. But mostly it's that by meeting the badge requirements, even if you already have the badge, you get astral merits. And the first time you get the badges, and sometimes after, there's a chance for incarnate salvage to drop. And making those badge requirements just fucking stupid instead of a challenge is dumb.

If you have no interest in being able to summon bitches on command then I don't know why we're even friends.

Oh I summon bitches all the time. I mean, the last time I yelled at you to get in game you did. Quite promptly, as I recall.

Narbus on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I was told something about stealthing objectives and so on. But mostly it's that by meeting the badge requirements, even if you already have the badge, you get astral merits. And the first time you get the badges, and sometimes after, there's a chance for incarnate salvage to drop. And making those badge requirements just fucking stupid instead of a challenge is dumb.

There is no chance for salvage to drop. When you get the badge, you get an Uncommon salvage. When you get Master, you get a Rare salvage. Meeting the requirements for a badge that you already have gets you an Astral. No chance involved.

It's not stealthing objectives, either, it's taking out destructible objects without clearing the entire map because there's a time limit. Honestly, run it once, you'll see what's meant.

kafziel on
This discussion has been closed.