As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dungeon Raid: Not getting anything accomplished IRL ever again. (iOS)

12346»

• Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Just bought this two days ago. I just finished my mission of playing Adventurer until I unlock all the classes. My high score is around 11k on normal. I'm finally getting the hang of how armor works - once I figured out how many skills I was wasting - I think at one point each shield I picked up was restoring like 15 armor when I had a max of 35 - my scores shot up from 4k to 10k.

This game is the best. I just wanted to say that. I love games that are what I see as a good value - lots of hours (if the are fun hours) to dollars. This and Meat Boy are some of the best purchases I've ever made in that regard.

APODionysus on
  • Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    So, probably stupid question at this point but I'd like to know for sure.

Is there any reason to get an attribute over the associated stat when your bonus chance is already at 100%? As an example, if your level up gives you both Strength (increase by 1, bonus chance = 100% already) and Base Damage (increase by 2), is there any reason to actually take Strength?

ringswraith on
  • Options
    JonBobJonBob Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Nope, at that point the only benefit of Strength is the single point of base damage. Better to take the two if you can get it. Charisma doesn't show up at all once you've maxed out your percentages.

I think the odd man out is Luck; there's no equivalent stat increase for health-per-potion, I believe.

JonBob on
    jswidget.php?username=JonBob&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
  • Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I'm really liking Dungeon Sprint.

It deals with my main complaint about the game - Once you get competent it goes on for way too long.

You can also get trophies in it, so that's nice as well.

gjaustin on
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    gjaustin wrote: »
    I'm really liking Dungeon Sprint.

It deals with my main complaint about the game - Once you get competent it goes on for way too long.

You can also get trophies in it, so that's nice as well.

I like Dungeon Sprint a lot too. It gets interesting much faster than standard play.

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah I've given up on picking charisma once I realized it was a waste. If you're having a good run, you'll have maxes everything anyways.

Tommatt on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Got to 292 on the Normal leaderboards. Treasure chamber combined with the XP potion, clear outside tiles and collect all coins skills felt like cheating.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Sweet, just got 4th on the Pretzel leaderboards (1386).

I was doing really, really well and then forgot that a Spiky had more health than me...

gjaustin on
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I've only been playing this a few days, I've had two really good runs going with the mage but eventually i get to a point of overwhelming damage.

get these:
    enchant
    dazzle
    healing or the one that turns all potions into xp bonuses
    repair

Priority of equipment upgrades:
    blunt
    regen
    spikes
    poison
    health bonuses
    anything else

With this you can clear shields and potions turn coins to swords to pretty much shift everything into swords in less then 10 turn cooldown, upgrading every 25 turns or less and take out bosses as soon as they appear. maxed out i was blunting 5 per monster attack, regen 20 a turn, spiking about 12 damage per attack, poison 8 damage a turn. once you start stacking +up shield and hit 100% on all the bonus skills youll level up every other turn and upgrade about once every 10 turns, especially with the potion to xp skill.

This worked great until the skulls hit about 50 or 60 damage each, then they started just coming too fast. Not sure how to modify this strat...ive been doing potion to xp, probably should switch to healing and see if that helps.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Is there a certain amount of special skulls you need to clear to get a trophy? Or is it random? Are the higher trophies harder to get?

38thDoe on
    38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm not sure, but I think the game is designed to make absolutely sure you fail at some point. Thanks to treasure room, skill elixir and upgrade item, as well as liberal uses of the upgrades that increase the amount of skulls/gold/shields you get, I was averaging one upgrade of some sort every turn in the endgame. And I still got overwhelmed.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Must have a logarithmic monster curve...

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited May 2011

Whatever it is, I think it's some set value that ignores your current stats. I've gotten killed early by making too many 3-4 matches and letting the monsters get too strong too fast, but in the game I talked about above I was breezing along without breaking a sweat for a good half hour before the skulls suddenly seemed more powerful than I was.

I think the monster upgrades get much, much quicker after a certain point.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Whatever it is, I think it's some set value that ignores your current stats. I've gotten killed early by making too many 3-4 matches and letting the monsters get too strong too fast, but in the game I talked about above I was breezing along without breaking a sweat for a good half hour before the skulls suddenly seemed more powerful than I was.

That would be logarithmic...

admanb on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    admanb wrote: »

...I majored in English in college, not those crazy number thingies. :P

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Damn you, Android, for not allowing me to raid!

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Dungeon Sprinters, what class and skills are you running?

My highest is 3068 as Raider with Masochism, Skill Elixir, Treasure Chamber and Boost Gold. Played it enough to level raider from 4 to 10. :P

I'm not sure how people are pulling off 6-7k, but just looked back and saw 1st place has 231,024. o_O

Noggin on
    Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I Dungeon Sprint with everything because I find it a much better choice for killing time while waiting for something. I think my highest is around 2500 - I think with Rogue.

gjaustin on
  • Options
    ringswraithringswraith Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Has anyone done any testing on longevity with Treasure Chamber, Skill Elixir, Repair, and using Masochism versus Boost Gold for the fourth skill?

ringswraith on
  • Options
    hamdingershamdingers Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm finally getting the hang of how armor works - once I figured out how many skills I was wasting - I think at one point each shield I picked up was restoring like 15 armor when I had a max of 35 - my scores shot up from 4k to 10k.

Could someone please expand on this a bit? It makes it sound like you shouldn't trace more shields than your max armor could fill - but isn't that how you get upgrades?

A good game for me is 5k... so I have that going for me. Which is bad.

hamdingers on
  • Options
    EggPuppetEggPuppet Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    admanb wrote: »

Why are you people saying logarithmic when you mean exponential

EggPuppet on
  • Options
    DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Things that have exponential growth are often plotted or tracked using logarithmic scales, so the two concepts are tightly joined in people's minds.

Besides, whether it's exponential or logarithmic depends entirely on which variable you solve for; if you're trying to identify the time (turns passed) at which the monsters will have a certain power, you'd use the log form of the relationship.

But yeah, that bothered me a little too.

Darian on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    hamdingers wrote: »
    I'm finally getting the hang of how armor works - once I figured out how many skills I was wasting - I think at one point each shield I picked up was restoring like 15 armor when I had a max of 35 - my scores shot up from 4k to 10k.

Could someone please expand on this a bit? It makes it sound like you shouldn't trace more shields than your max armor could fill - but isn't that how you get upgrades?

A good game for me is 5k... so I have that going for me. Which is bad.

I think he's giving bad advice. Over matching shields is very much desired because that's how you get upgrades! The general rule of Dungeon Raid is that you are on an upgrading race with the skulls. Hence the more tiles matched per turn the better.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    EggPuppet wrote: »
    Why are you people saying logarithmic when you mean exponential
    Darian wrote: »
    Things that have exponential growth are often plotted or tracked using logarithmic scales, so the two concepts are tightly joined in people's minds.

Besides, whether it's exponential or logarithmic depends entirely on which variable you solve for; if you're trying to identify the time (turns passed) at which the monsters will have a certain power, you'd use the log form of the relationship.

But yeah, that bothered me a little too.

pedant.jpg

What does the Greed skill do? You know, the one you get for maxing out the Thief/Rogue class (I can't remember what it's called off the top of my head).

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It (Greed) kills every non-special skull that's adjacent to a coin.

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    Darth NathanDarth Nathan Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So...am I doing something wrong? Apparently I unlock new classes and such by playing, but this game has been going for over a week, and nothing. Do I get them after I die, or am I misinformed?

Darth Nathan on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    You need to stop playing on easy; no trophies drop there. Once you are on normal or higher difficulty, killing specials will sometimes result in a tropy being left behind on the board; click the trophy to get a new class or a new level for the current class.

Darian on
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Had a big game and ended up with 65,268. Not a crazy good score, but still in the top 300, which I'm pretty happy with. Double gold, treasure chamber, collect gold and potions to XP is pretty powerful.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Okay uhm.. I think i broke the game.

I'm playing a game, currently at about 75,000 points, but i feel like im so overpowred the games never going to catch up with me. Is this typical at this point or is it smart enough to eventually catch up? I'm playing a werewolf assassin (for the first time since i unlocked it). currently at level 275, ive got 291 base damage, 41 weapon damage, 177 armor, 90% durability 95% piercing, 1505 hitpoints 58 spikes 12 blunt, 17 regen and like 68 poison damage. new skulls are dropping with like 140 health, but one hit of the spikes piercing them will turn there armor into crap, and i gain levels so fast, just picking +damage / + health + luck (potions are worth like 100 health each now). My abilities are haste, teleport, disarm, and dazzle as my 4th skill. For awhile dazzle and disarm was letting me take out bosses immediately but now the only times i need to be a little careful is when a spikey appears but even then, if i did a full screen of damage, against a spikey id still have a few hundred health. Bosses die quickly, all i need to hit them is once and the poison finishes them.

Also, its been a very long time since ive gotten a level/ class unlock. I'm playing normal difficulty but ive played long games on normal and the unlocks never stopped before (I got like 4 class unlocks and 4 mage levels in the same game that only went to about 50k hps.

Is this connected to the recent update maybe? some bug? Should spikes be doing armor piercing damage?
    The rate that my + dam and health is going up compared to the skulls difficulty seems so far apart that i think this could go on indefinately.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    It'll catch up, unless you're accidently playing on easy.

Darian on
  • Options
    Cargo CultureCargo Culture Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This game has destroyed my free time.

And once I bought it for my iPad as well as my iPhone, I was doomed.

On the upside, it's a great scale-up to the iPad, and I think I prefer playing it that way.

Cargo Culture on
    [SIGPIC]I did warn you not to trust me.[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    CuddlyCuteKittenCuddlyCuteKitten Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So everyone here has stopped playing? I just got the game and got the hang of it. All classes unlocked as adventurer and gotten about 47k+ score on 2 runs with what I felt was quite suboptimal setups (final skill on both was disarm which proved to be fairly useless on 99 % off all turns).

I think brute is the enemy I dislike the most because he has massive hitpoints at higher levels (like 1k massive) and hits like a truck.

Most of the races also feels fairly useless. I feel like changeling, sauren and elf has a bit of potential. Perhaps halfling as well. Some others seem passable but most seem to be utter crap.

And about gear. I read the post about getting 2,2,2 on your headgear and it seems spot on. But certain items (like shields) really seem to dislike some bonuses or is it just that they dislike having more than one thing on them? Also is there a trick to the sword? It kept trying to get rid of my life leech/sunder armor but in 900 turns it bothered me exactly one about the extra XP which I wanted to move to my helmet.
    In the same vein the shield seems to loooooooooove +1 general damage and hate spikes/blunting with a passion.

CuddlyCuteKitten on
    waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaow - Felicia, SPFT2:T
  • Options
    SixSix Caches Tweets in the mainframe cyberhex Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I still play it all the time. I wiped my phone recently and lost my save game, so I'm plowing through leveling up all the classes again. Still haven't managed to beat my old high score of 65,000 or so, though.

I do hate how few trophies seem to appear. I've have 30-40k games and still only gotten 2 trophies. It's annoying.

Six on
    can you feel the struggle within?
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I'm still playing, off and on. It's losing a bit of its charm, potentially because getting any actual progression(like character levels) is very slow, and there's a lot I don't know about it.

For example, is there a limit to how many trophies I can get in a game, or is there a particular optimum way to get them? I'm in a really long, and really boringly easy game on my raider and I just got raider level 2, and I'd like to start over but not if it will harm my chances at getting something.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    Cargo CultureCargo Culture Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I still play a bit on my iPad, but Ticket to Ride is just devouring my time right now.

Cargo Culture on
    [SIGPIC]I did warn you not to trust me.[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Any sign of an Android release? I haven't seen any news, but perhaps I missed something.

Hopefully.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I still play, because it's great to sneak in a few turns while I wait for some file to render our at work.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    seedpodseedpod Registered User new member
    They just launched on Android! Yes, I registered an account here just to post that. :!

I _am_ casting about for play advice though; any of you iOSers got some?

I've been playing on "Harder" cause I think I'm tough, but my high score is only 2092 so I think I'll dial it back a little bit.

Awesome game is awesome.