As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The New Comic Thread for Friday, May 6th, 2011

• Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Actually, the book was called Man the Hunted and dealt with early human/large predator interactions. They fucked us up for a good while, it seems.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Humans never would have made it if we didn't adapt to be able to escape the predators who should have been able to easily tear us apart. Luckily we're kind of a jack-of-all-trades type of mammal and are able to do things like climb trees and swim. It's certainly gave us an edge against most predators.

TankHammer on
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Druhim wrote: »
    My experiments (reproducible by anyone with access to a few ounces of lye, some fatback, and a small gutta-percha flask) show beyond a doubt that one only needs to read 73 pages before quitting a book without besmirching them and their kin. What say you sir? Shall we cross swords at dawn? Or will you yield to my obvious truth?

Wouldn't it depend on the length of the book in question? 73 pages is, like, half a Goosebumps book.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    iMPck.jpg

he was delicious

oh what, you don't know one of the best SNL skits of all time?

get off my lawn

Dead, at the tragic age of 83.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Roger WilcoRoger Wilco Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    A game of thrones does a pretty good job of avoiding genre staples though. One could mistake it for historical fiction if they..well if they didn't know anything about history or the planet they lived on. But I mean there aren't elves, or magic spells, or any of that stuff. It's basically just human beings and political intrigue.

And the comic was funny as usual.

Roger Wilco on
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    Uh, there are plenty of genre staples that have nothing to do with standard fantasy races or magic. And Martin absolutely uses plenty of genre staples. I'm not saying the books are bad, but you can't honestly and intelligently claim that he avoids genre staples.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • TenTen Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    A game of thrones does a pretty good job of avoiding genre staples though. One could mistake it for historical fiction if they..well if they didn't know anything about history or the planet they lived on. But I mean there aren't elves, or magic spells, or any of that stuff. It's basically just human beings and political intrigue.

I haven't finished all the books yet, but (book spoilers I guess)
    Unless it turns out half the book was all a dream, there are dragons, magic priestesses and boys who share telepathic connections with wolves in this series.

Ten on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    He absolutely uses genre staples, but much of the time he's using them in a way that subverts the traditional fantasy tropes. I mean, it's not a dedicated deconstruction of fantasy in the way Watchmen is of superhero comics, but it certainly has elements of that.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ten wrote: »

Unless it turns out half the book was all a dream, there are dragons, magic priestesses and boys who share telepathic connections with wolves in this series.

those were all allegories

Brolo on
    edited May 2011
    Rolo, if you don't shut your pretty mouth you'll wake the dragon.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

There are fantastical elements but they are relatively subdued, especially early on. It's unquestionably "fantasty" and it would be disingenious to claim otherwise (though the comparison to historical fiction is also valid).

But what sets it apart, for me personally at least and what I try to get across to people when I reccomend the series to them is that rather than letting the fantastical elements be the driving force of the story (which is what usually happens in fantasy), in these books that is just the backdrop Martin uses to study his characters.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I want a direwolf!
    So much better than a pony.

I normal wolf would be cool too. Would probably need help training it though.

skettios on
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Eh.
    The joke is already there in the first panel and from then on it just kinda mellows out.

That Card Kingdom place looks neat though.

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Tycho wrote:
    I think there is a misconception at the root: the “Hill” in question is not a hill of corpses you pile up, and when it reaches a certain height it results in your coronation.

This, so hard, this.

LTM on
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011
    Rolo wrote: »

those were all allegories

So take some Claratin.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This was a great birthday comic, I approve.

Langly on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    On Song of Ice and Fire and early magical elements:
    The dragons are just regular beasts with a mythology attached to them and the ability to breath fire. Outside of that, they act like regular wild animals. The dark priest is more of a voodoo priest who may or may not just be full of shit and using fairly mundane shit early on. Even when it does become more explicit later on, it remains mysterious and more like dark voodoo magic than fantasy magic. The telepathic link is very subdued.

Couscous on
  • KrentzKrentz Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    skettios wrote: »
    I want a direwolf!

You can have one! Kinda

Krentz on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2011
    Krentz wrote: »
    skettios wrote: »
    I want a direwolf!

You can have one! Kinda

so cuuuuute

skettios on
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    there are Reading Assistance Education Dogs?

Nerdgasmic on
    edited May 2011
    Couscous wrote: »
    The dragons are just regular beasts with a mythology attached to them and the ability to breath fire. Outside of that, they act like regular wild animals. The dark priest is more of a voodoo priest who may or may not just be full of shit and using fairly mundane shit early on. Even when it does become more explicit later on, it remains mysterious and more like dark voodoo magic than fantasy magic. The telepathic link is very subdued.

Oh, they just breathe fire. Yeah that's not magical at all..wait a minute!

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited May 2011

druhim are you saying dragon's don't actually exist

because maybe you haven't read my groundbreaking research paper/alternate history series "Dragons: Lexicon Triumvirate"

it's part of my "A Gang of Dragons" body of work, and it conclusively proves the existence of dragons and indigo children

Brolo on
    edited May 2011
    Druhim I breathed fire just yesterday.

granted, it was actually from my butt, and granted, it was just a bowel movement that felt like fire, but still, basically the same

basically

Langly on
  • EndEnd Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Langly also grabs and eats peasants with his butt.

End on
    I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
    edited May 2011
    Langly's butt is covered with consummate Vs.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • The GeekThe Geek Oh-Two Crew, Omeganaut Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2011

Breathing fire doesn't necessarily have to be magical. It could be a chemical reaction from excretions from special glands that a dragon would have.

There are real animals that do pretty bizarre things that could be considered "magical" in the right context.

The Geek on
    BLM - ACAB
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2011
    rolo, tell me about the Gang of Dragons anime

Nerdgasmic on
    edited May 2011
    Langly's butt is covered with consummate Vs.

consummate! I said consummate Vs!

Man, blast from the past. Thank you for reminding me of that. Now I'm going to go watch all of them.

Langly on
    edited May 2011
    The Geek wrote: »

Breathing fire doesn't necessarily have to be magical. It could be a chemical reaction from excretions from special glands that a dragon would have.

There are real animals that do pretty bizarre things that could be considered "magical" in the right context.

james-randi.jpg

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited May 2011
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    rolo, tell me about the Gang of Dragons anime

not just an anime

a webseries
    a podcast
    a gta/oblivion styles sandbox game
    a comic book
    a series of novellas
    a theme park/ride
    a children's camp
    a community sword smithy
    and a bunch of forum posts

Brolo on
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I think this comic is funnier if you remove the speech bubbles from the last panel!

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
    edited May 2011
    Langly wrote: »
    Druhim I breathed fire just yesterday.

granted, it was actually from my butt, and granted, it was just a bowel movement that felt like fire, but still, basically the same

basically

Langly has evolved to
    Langon!

CvAAX.jpg

skettios on
  • SupraluminalSupraluminal Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Olivaw wrote: »
    I think this comic is funnier if you remove the speech bubbles from the last panel!

I'm not sure I'd say it makes this particular strip funnier, but it definitely works. Maybe funny in a slightly different way.

I do think cutting dialog from strips you've already written is an exercise that most artists should try, though! It's surprising how often it's an outright improvement, or at least suggests a way to make the dialog more concise.

Supraluminal on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0j0Bjy6hFc&feature=related

KalTorak on
    edited May 2011
    This also means you have to give buddha rides, hope you're up for the job!

aiG1q.jpg

skettios on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    LTM wrote: »
    Tycho wrote:
    I think there is a misconception at the root: the “Hill” in question is not a hill of corpses you pile up, and when it reaches a certain height it results in your coronation.

This, so hard, this.

Not always true. There was a Garry's mod map that was a variant on CTF where you had to pile zombies to reach a high platform.

Heck, knowing Gears of War and how it likes to play with the genre conceptions (eg meat flags) it wouldn't surprise me at all if they came out with a pile of corpses koth variant one day.

The_Scarab on
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited May 2011
    KalTorak wrote: »

I remember this! As a ridiculously nerdy young kid, it blew my stupid little mind.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
  • BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited May 2011

I have only read the first book but
    what about the whole mess with Daenry's husband/fetus? The death magic lady, the horrible happenings in the tent and that creature that the fetus came out as. Or would that could as dark voodoo magic I suppose. Still magic though.

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Larlar wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    This comic is BLASPHEMY. Wolves don't prey on humans! I mean, sure, sometimes wolves hunt down pregnant beasts and only devour the fetus, but still!

To play an oddly straight tangent...

Number of people killed by wolf attacks in 2006: 0
    Number of people killed by vending machines in 2006: 4

I never thought this statistic would be topical ever again.

So what your saying is I shouldn't get a vending machine to protect my baby?

BusterK on
    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
    edited May 2011
    KalTorak wrote: »

I remember this! As a ridiculously nerdy young kid, it blew my stupid little mind.

oh hell ya
    Flight of Dragons
    <3

skettios on
This discussion has been closed.